PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania Road Trip (Phila + Pitt)

BanditJimmy
05-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Anyone having luck finding rooms for Pitt? It appears everything is booked around the downtown area. I wanted to avoid renting a car but it appears I will have to.

I want some ideas of those that have already put their trip together.

I'm thinking now since I have to rent a car, might as well fly directly into Pitt (since cheaper than Phila) on Monday morning, rent the car, and then make the 4-5 hr drive to Philadelphia, stay there for the series, then drive back to Pitt on the off day Thursday. Fly from Pitt back to Chicago Sunday night.

Hotel in Pitt is my only issue, Does anyone know if you can get on a waiting list with some of these hotels ( in case someone cancels out)?

ChicagoG19
05-13-2007, 01:03 PM
The US Open is the same week as the sox series in pittsburgh so all the hotels downtwon are booked. However, I found a motel 6(which actually got good reviews on yahoo travel) for only 44 dollars a night and its only 5 miles from the ball park.

BanditJimmy
05-13-2007, 02:59 PM
The US Open is the same week as the sox series in pittsburgh so all the hotels downtwon are booked. However, I found a motel 6(which actually got good reviews on yahoo travel) for only 44 dollars a night and its only 5 miles from the ball park.

is there a link you can give me?

jenn2080
05-13-2007, 04:56 PM
I got my hotel about 7 miles from the stadium. I forget the name of it, but I know they do not have anymore rooms available. I booked the hotel in Jan.

Did you check Southwest for flights? Also there is not really any car rentals from what I saw.

Cellview22
05-13-2007, 05:06 PM
According to Tripadvisor, there's only 3 hotels available in Pittsburgh for those dates (June 14-17): The Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh Airport, Holiday Inn Pittsburgh Parkway East, and Crowne Plaza Hotel Pittsburgh South. http://www.tripadvisor.com/HACSearch?geo=53449&cat=1&lastSearch=Pittsburgh%2C+PA&from=ShowForum&q=Pittsburgh%2C+PA&inMonth=06%2F2007&inDay=14&outMonth=06%2F2007&outDay=17&minmaxrate=0%2C9999999&adults=1&currency=USD&submit.x=40&submit.y=10

There might be lower end hotels also available, but tripadvisor doesn't list those. I would try bidding on priceline for a 3-star hotel near Pittsburgh Airport, starting at $50, and you'll most likely get the Hyatt Regency, since that's the only one available. The only bad thing about that hotel is it's 18 miles from downtown.

ChicagoG19
05-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Heres a link to a hotel that is pretty cheap and not too far from PNC.

http://www.motel6.com/reservations/motel_detail.asp?MotelId=0657&NOA=3&aYr=2007&aMo=6&aDa=15&dYr=2007&dMo=6&dDa=18&BTR=M6ProximityResults.aspx?searchtype=AD&CP=&TA=&redi=

Walker29
05-15-2007, 01:45 PM
Make sure to enjoy one of those tasty Pittsburgh sandwiches with the pastrami and the fries stuffed in them...mmmm. Levanti Bros. if I'm not mistaken.

jenn2080
05-15-2007, 02:26 PM
I actually just cancelled my hotel Micotel or whatever it was and changed it to Motel 6.

BanditJimmy
05-15-2007, 03:20 PM
I actually just cancelled my hotel Micotel or whatever it was and changed it to Motel 6.

Anybody stay at that Motel 6 before?

I found a hotel about 30 miles from the park which didn't look half beat up (Best Western), I might take a crack at that one.

jenn2080
05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
Anybody stay at that Motel 6 before?

I found a hotel about 30 miles from the park which didn't look half beat up (Best Western), I might take a crack at that one.

Motel 6 hotels are not bad. Obviously I would prefer to stay somewhere better, but in this case this will do just fine. I would check with them and book a hotel there instead of so far away. You also do not know what traffic is going to be like either. I also checked car rentals and what is left is very pricy.

soxgirl617
06-07-2007, 02:30 PM
FYI: if anyone is still looking for hotel rooms in Pittsburgh, I just cancelled two rooms at the Pittsburgh Motel 6, 412.922.9400. (We're still going....just got into a Hampton Inn.)

StepsInSC
06-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Make sure to enjoy one of those tasty Pittsburgh sandwiches with the pastrami and the fries stuffed in them...mmmm. Levanti Bros. if I'm not mistaken.

Primanti Brothers - they're at the ballpark, but I'd stop by a shop (they're all over) and grab one for several bucks less and for more options. Dayum I miss Pittsburgh cuisine.

Pasqua's Posers
06-08-2007, 08:59 AM
I will be at Monday night's game in Philly and possibly Tuesday as well. I will be staying at a friends apartment in downtown (City Center) Philly. I am then driving to Baltimore to catch a game at Camden Yards on Wednesday night. Thursday morning drive to Pittsburgh but hit Gettysburg battlefield on the way. I am staying at the Extended Stay America in Carnegie, PA right outside of dwontown Pittsburgh.

On a side note, does anyone know the hotels the team is staying at in Philly and Pittsburgh? I was able to meet a bunch of them while in San Diego in 2005.

I will be in attendance at Friday nights game in Pittsburgh with home white pin-striped "SOUTH SIDE" on the back. Say hello if you see me...:gulp:

Foulke You
06-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Thankfully, someone on WSI (I can't remember who) gave a heads up a while back that hotels were starting to book up early because of the US Open. My wife and I immediately booked our hotel through hotwire and got a great deal at the Sheraton Four Points near the Pittsburgh Airport. I can't get over how quickly the hotels booked up for that golf event.:?:

In any case Mr. and Mrs. Foulke You will be at the whole PNC series along with some fellow Sox fan friends. If you see a short Italian guy with a goatee in a Jim Thome jersey, be sure to say hi.:cool:

chitownhawkfan
06-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Make sure you stop and get wings at the lube, they are the best.

Jurr
06-11-2007, 06:56 PM
We will be there for Friday and Sunday's games. Let me know if any of you guys are going to Hi Tops after the games. We'll get a little WSI gathering going.

Chrisaway
06-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Ill be at friday and saturday's games. Just look for the lanky black haired fellow in a road grey Pierzynski jersey.

Parrothead
06-11-2007, 07:30 PM
leave tomorrow. Be there for Tues and Wed, Fri and Sat. I will be in black "Simas" or sleeveless "Myette"

Jurr
06-11-2007, 07:55 PM
On Friday, I'll go black Guillen jersey.
Sunday, let's go with the black Uribe jersey.

Look for a guy with a hot blonde girl. Come say hi and give me a kiss. I'll buy you a beer. Viva WSI!

ChiSox Fan 68
06-11-2007, 08:31 PM
We're getting to Philly late tomorrow night - will be at the game on Wednesday. I'll be the blonde girl in the pink Sox jersey. Then Friday we'll be in Pittsburgh - I'll be sporting my Donn Pall jersey that evening...Joe Crede black jersey on Saturday. Last week we actually got a room at the Westin where the Sox are staying - prior to that we were stuck out in the suburbs (Coraopolis).

ChiSox Fan 68
06-11-2007, 08:32 PM
We will be there for Friday and Sunday's games. Let me know if any of you guys are going to Hi Tops after the games. We'll get a little WSI gathering going.

Is Hi Tops by the park?

Parrothead
06-11-2007, 09:07 PM
We should all get paid for going to see that crap they are putting on the field.

Jurr
06-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Is Hi Tops by the park?
Yup. About a block or two away. Can't miss it.

jenn2080
06-11-2007, 09:22 PM
leave tomorrow. Be there for Tues and Wed, Fri and Sat. I will be in black "Simas" or sleeveless "Myette"

We are going to the same games.

ewokpelts
06-11-2007, 10:53 PM
We will be there for Friday and Sunday's games. Let me know if any of you guys are going to Hi Tops after the games. We'll get a little WSI gathering going.the pitt hi-tops is owned by the same people that own the wrigley hi-tops. which also happen to be the same people that own wrigleyville sports/the pittsburgh fan merchandise shops.

ewokpelts
06-11-2007, 10:54 PM
We should all get paid for going to see that crap they are putting on the field.the pirates or the sox?

Chrisaway
06-11-2007, 11:08 PM
We're getting to Philly late tomorrow night - will be at the game on Wednesday. I'll be the blonde girl in the pink Sox jersey. Then Friday we'll be in Pittsburgh - I'll be sporting my Donn Pall jersey that evening...Joe Crede black jersey on Saturday. Last week we actually got a room at the Westin where the Sox are staying - prior to that we were stuck out in the suburbs (Coraopolis).

Woah I though i was the only guy in the world with a Donn Pall jersey.:gulp:

Parrothead
06-11-2007, 11:10 PM
the pirates or the sox?

ZING ! Good point, did not think of that.

ChiSox Fan 68
06-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Woah I though i was the only guy in the world with a Donn Pall jersey.:gulp:

Wow, I thought I was the only person in the world with a Donn Pall jersey! A couple stories:

It is an authetic Donn Pall jersey...I bought it at the 1991 garage sale...I saw him at spring training shortly after that and he walked up to me and asked me, How much did you pay for that?! He couldn't believe someone paid $200 for his jersey!

Then, in 2003, we did sleepover night and he was there. He got a kick out of someone actually having his jersey(I don't think he remembered me from 12 years earlier). What a cool guy, we got an awesome picture together.

The "P" and one of the "L"s is falling of the jersey - gotta sew it up before our roadtrip to Pennsylvania!

Parrothead
06-12-2007, 06:14 AM
Wow, I thought I was the only person in the world with a Donn Pall jersey! A couple stories:

It is an authetic Donn Pall jersey...I bought it at the 1991 garage sale...I saw him at spring training shortly after that and he walked up to me and asked me, How much did you pay for that?! He couldn't believe someone paid $200 for his jersey!

Then, in 2003, we did sleepover night and he was there. He got a kick out of someone actually having his jersey(I don't think he remembered me from 12 years earlier). What a cool guy, we got an awesome picture together.

The "P" and one of the "L"s is falling of the jersey - gotta sew it up before our roadtrip to Pennsylvania!

Went to High School with him. Not a cool guy, in fact quite the opposite, at least there and when I saw him again at a bar to see VIEW, Jack McDowells' former band.