PDA

View Full Version : Grinding!

pmck003
05-13-2007, 07:01 AM
"I don't think guys are pressing. I think guys are trying to grind it out to try to win ballgames, but it's just not happenig"

This was a quote from Mike Redmond of the twins . Take note of the "grind it out"

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270512109

TDog
05-13-2007, 11:38 AM
"I don't think guys are pressing. I think guys are trying to grind it out to try to win ballgames, but it's just not happenig"

This was a quote from Mike Redmond of the twins . Take note of the "grind it out"

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270512109

In the same article, someone from the Tigers is talking about how the hitting wasn't there early in the season, but good hitting comes around, even if sometimes teams don't hit at all for a month or two.

I thought I was reading a story about the White Sox.

oeo
05-13-2007, 12:42 PM
In the same article, someone from the Tigers is talking about how the hitting wasn't there early in the season, but good hitting comes around, even if sometimes teams don't hit at all for a month or two.

I thought I was reading a story about the White Sox.

But aren't all our guys old and washed up???

jabrch
05-13-2007, 01:45 PM
What's wrong with that? The term "grinding" has been a part of sports for decades.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-13-2007, 01:50 PM
What's wrong with that? The term "grinding" has been a part of sports for decades.

The macaroni & cheese set over at the Baseball Prospectus don't like it. Their "Beane God" doesn't like it either, and look at all the world championships he has won following the SABRidiots' advice.

:wink:

jabrch
05-13-2007, 04:24 PM
The macaroni & cheese set over at the Baseball Prospectus don't like it. Their "Beane God" doesn't like it either, and look at all the world championships he has won following the SABRidiots' advice.

:wink:

I know that YOU know the answer PHG. I was hoping some spreadsheeter (and not one of them already on my ignore list) would help me out here.

Grinding is good - when it results in wins. So is slugging. So is walking, so is pitching, so is bunting, so is running. They all are bad when resulting in a loss. However, when converted to a theology, given a name, a following, and declared absolute, it loses all integrity. That's the problem with the BP dopes, and many of the people who follow them - they have decided that everything is an absolute - and their way is absolutely right. There is no absolute - right or wrong - except that if you believe in an absolute, you are absolutely wrong. The problem is that by painting baseball statistics into qualitative truisms, the BP crowd is portraying it as an absolute....

FedEx227
05-25-2007, 10:02 AM
I know that YOU know the answer PHG. I was hoping some spreadsheeter (and not one of them already on my ignore list) would help me out here.

Grinding is good - when it results in wins. So is slugging. So is walking, so is pitching, so is bunting, so is running. They all are bad when resulting in a loss. However, when converted to a theology, given a name, a following, and declared absolute, it loses all integrity. That's the problem with the BP dopes, and many of the people who follow them - they have decided that everything is an absolute - and their way is absolutely right. There is no absolute - right or wrong - except that if you believe in an absolute, you are absolutely wrong. The problem is that by painting baseball statistics into qualitative truisms, the BP crowd is portraying it as an absolute....

PECOTA > EXISTENCE :tongue:

getonbckthr
05-25-2007, 02:25 PM
When did the Sox trademark the term "grinding" and all other forms of the word?

ma-gaga
05-25-2007, 04:29 PM
However, when converted to a theology, given a name, a following, and declared absolute, it loses all integrity. That's the problem with the BP dopes, and many of the people who follow them - they have decided that everything is an absolute

There's an ignore list?

I'll jump in, since I don't quite think I'm on yours yet... BP doesn't go with absolutes, and I don't know if they ever really did. They have consistantly said that Base Stealing, RBI's, Wins, Batting Average and other classic stats that the old school media uses to assign MVP or Cy Young awards to are "overrated". It's not the same as calling them "unimportant" or "worthless", simply overrated.

Then of course this is told to guys like Joe Morgan, or Phil Rogers, or Jeff Brantley, or John Kruk, and they go ahead and misinterpret the message, and start arguing against positions that BP never took. Mainly, because they didn't bother to actually read the articles, or anything resembling intelligent debate. Then their arguments get filtered down from message board to mesage board, and then to other message boards until it's pretty much assumed that:

BP believes in absolutes.
BP never changes their position.
BP was wrong once, therefore they are always wrong, and they are always wrong about everything... And the main reason for this? Because BP's theory that RBI's are overrated offends Joe Morgan. :?:

Sorry, but if you believe that BP thinks in absolutes only, then you would wrong.
I'll try to find some good tasty quotes which prove my point, and I'll ignore all the ones that don't.

Continue to ignore me at your conveinience... :cool: