PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Vote of Confidence for TLR?

Viva Medias B's
05-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Amid the controversy over how he handled the Josh Hancock situation, Tony LaRussa was given a 100% vote of confidence from Cardinals Chariman Bill DeWitt Jr. It's probably genuine here, but don't votes of confidence signal the kiss of death sometimes too?

Link (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/C3E2D72E2743FCCB862572D90012F38D?OpenDocument) from the Post-Dispatch

MarySwiss
05-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Sorry, but I fail to see how LaRussa is in any way responsible for bad choices by a grown man. Why should he even need a vote of confidence? And now that he has one, why should that signify anything, other than that his bosses don't blame him for any of this?

Viva Medias B's
05-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Sorry, but I fail to see how LaRussa is in any way responsible for bad choices by a grown man. Why should he even need a vote of confidence? And now that he has one, why should that signify anything, other than that his bosses don't blame him for any of this?

It's not TLR's fault that Hancock chose to get wasted at Mike Shannon's and get behind the wheel of an SUV. However, he did not handle the aftermath particularly well (i.e., his "fungo bat" comment). Also, I am not talking about LaRussa's March DUI. The Friday before the Hancock incident, he looked stupid yelling at Bernie Miklasz. And, despite their pitching injuries, the Cardinals have not played very well. I am not saying LaRussa should be fired (DeWitt and Walt Jocketty should keep TLR), but TLR has many critics in Cardinal Nation who would like to see the Redbirds go in a different direction.

TDog
05-12-2007, 09:55 PM
The unfortunate thing for Cardinals fans is that they didn't even get a chance to enjoy last season. The run to the division title was unspectacular. It wasn't like the World Series capped a glorious season.

And now all of this.

A lot of White Sox fans didn't enjoy 2005 as much as they should have, living in fear of collapse and then living in real fear of the rampaging Indians. But at least the Sox led the league in wins and fans had the opportunity to enjoy being on top all year if they wanted to.

No matter how bad things get this year, it would be bad form to fire LaRussa the year after winning the World Series.

IndianWhiteSox
05-13-2007, 01:16 AM
The unfortunate thing for Cardinals fans is that they didn't even get a chance to enjoy last season. The run to the division title was unspectacular. It wasn't like the World Series capped a glorious season.

And now all of this.

A lot of White Sox fans didn't enjoy 2005 as much as they should have, living in fear of collapse and then living in real fear of the rampaging Indians. But at least the Sox led the league in wins and fans had the opportunity to enjoy being on top all year if they wanted to.

No matter how bad things get this year, it would be bad form to fire LaRussa the year after winning the World Series.

But the sad thing is, is that if he had gotten fired or suspended for the DUI of his, then it definitely would have at least flashed warning signs in the clubhouse. Maybe, it could have or couldn't have prevented Josh Hancock's death but who knows?

Nellie_Fox
05-13-2007, 01:25 AM
Our local small-town paper has a columnist, Ed Thoma, who is a real baseball guy. His columns are almost always insightful.

His take on LaRussa's role in this is here (http://www.mankato-freepress.com/columnistETOMA/local_story_127002011.html). I think it's pretty good.

FarWestChicago
05-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Our local small-town paper has a columnist, Ed Thoma, who is a real baseball guy. His columns are almost always insightful.

His take on LaRussa's role in this is here (http://www.mankato-freepress.com/columnistETOMA/local_story_127002011.html). I think it's pretty good.I like that guy. He's writing for a small-town paper and the Chicago papers employ idiots? Oh well. :smile:

Trav
05-13-2007, 10:17 AM

His take on LaRussa's role in this is here (http://www.mankato-freepress.com/columnistETOMA/local_story_127002011.html). I think it's pretty good.

I'm not sure that "covering up" a player's incident is a bad thing. I doubt that if LaRussa blasted him in front of the team and press that the guy wouldn't have got behind the wheel three days later.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-13-2007, 10:47 AM
I'm not sure that "covering up" a player's incident is a bad thing. I doubt that if LaRussa blasted him in front of the team and press that the guy wouldn't have got behind the wheel three days later.

You forget that LaRussa is already convicted on this charge. He was the one who vouched for the character of Mark McGwire BEFORE the turd sat in front of that congressional committee and covered up like a mafioso.

LaRussa tried to discredit Canseco for telling the truth. I wouldn't believe one ****ing word that dropped out of his mouth on this subject. He's an enabler with a capital "E".

Trav
05-13-2007, 11:51 AM
You forget that LaRussa is already convicted on this charge. He was the one who vouched for the character of Mark McGwire BEFORE the turd sat in front of that congressional committee and covered up like a mafioso.

LaRussa tried to discredit Canseco for telling the truth. I wouldn't believe one ****ing word that dropped out of his mouth on this subject. He's an enabler with a capital "E".

I guess I just think that grown men make their own decisions. If anything, LaRussa getting a DUI would put an even more negative slant on driving drunk and I think the accident would have happened no matter if LaRussa did the opposite of everything he did. I don't understand how someone else can be blamed for another man's actions.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-13-2007, 12:16 PM
I guess I just think that grown men make their own decisions. If anything, LaRussa getting a DUI would put an even more negative slant on driving drunk and I think the accident would have happened no matter if LaRussa did the opposite of everything he did. I don't understand how someone else can be blamed for another man's actions.

Hancock is a grown man, and I agree he is responsible for what he does.

What is really going on here is the assault on the tidy little "boys club" that ballplayers live in, that managers' control, and that the sportswriters tacitly approve of. If they ever said **** about it, the manager and ballplayers would shut them out of quotes. So the binge drinking, the substance abuse, and the anabolic steroids usage continues unabated... while LaRussa issues denials and makes excuses, if not threats too.

LaRussa's comments and actions on this matter -- and many others through the years -- prove he is the leading Enabler of this behavior. If Hancock destroyed himself on that highway, LaRussa was directing traffic. In typical TLR fashion, he holds himself up as blameless and dares anyone to suggest otherwise.

My disrespect for the guy reaches new depths with every passing month.
:o:

Baby Fisk
05-13-2007, 02:34 PM
However, he did not handle the aftermath particularly well (i.e., his "fungo bat" comment).

What was the fungo bat comment?

Trav
05-13-2007, 03:45 PM
What was the fungo bat comment?

From reading the article Nellie put up I assume he said he would take a fungo bat to any reporter who asked insensitive questions. Just guessing though.

Viva Medias B's
05-17-2007, 07:24 AM
In today's Post-Dispatch, Bernie Miklasz is calling on Tony LaRussa to declare his intentions now instead of at the end of the season. This is the final year of TLR's current contract with the Cardinals.

Link (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/836E232EE1494C40862572DE000B8F12?OpenDocument)

ondafarm
05-17-2007, 08:38 AM
I like that guy. He's writing for a small-town paper and the Chicago papers employ idiots? Oh well. :smile:

Any chance we can trade?