PDA

View Full Version : Masset's role...

rainbow6
05-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Of all the players acquired in the off season, Masset was the one who intrigued me the most...

From the first week of the season, however, I wondered if he would be wasted in the role of "long man" on the staff. I assumed (correctly, I'm glad to say) that we really wouldn't be in dire need of "long relief" too often with the caliber of starting pitchers on the staff.

Having said that, wouldn't Masset be better off in the minors, being groomed for a starting spot?

It's Dankerific
05-12-2007, 04:33 PM
I think the feeling is that its good for him to get some big league experience. he's had a few games that were important spots, so the more he experiences those kind of things in the major leagues, the better longterm prospects he has.

also, if the offense ever came around, there might be definite situations that if he could hold the other team for 4-5 innings, they could catch up a big deficit.

TDog
05-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Of all the players acquired in the off season, Masset was the one who intrigued me the most...

From the first week of the season, however, I wondered if he would be wasted in the role of "long man" on the staff. I assumed (correctly, I'm glad to say) that we really wouldn't be in dire need of "long relief" too often with the caliber of starting pitchers on the staff.

Having said that, wouldn't Masset be better off in the minors, being groomed for a starting spot?

Was Mark Buehrle improperly used in 2000 when he was working mostly in middle relief -- with three starts due to the injury problems that would develop and six games finished in non-save situations? He really didn't pitch that much. Maybe he should have been in the minor leagues gaining experience and would have been even better when he emerged as the best Sox starter in 2001. LaMarr Hoyt went from being the Sox go-to guy in the pen to a Cy Young starter.

And sometimes unhittable pitchers being groomed in the minors became very hittable when they come up.

What is most important is having the guys up now who help the Sox win now.

05-12-2007, 05:30 PM

I think Masset is fine for the role he is in now. I'm sure we're going to need him for a spot start or possibly if Jose spends 15 days on the DL at some point for a minor injury.

rainbow6
05-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Great points...

My concern wasn't as much that Masset was in the pen - it was whether or not he would be getting enough work in. You bring up a couple of great examples...

Was Mark Buehrle improperly used in 2000 when he was working mostly in middle relief -- with three starts due to the injury problems that would develop and six games finished in non-save situations? He really didn't pitch that much. Maybe he should have been in the minor leagues gaining experience and would have been even better when he emerged as the best Sox starter in 2001. LaMarr Hoyt went from being the Sox go-to guy in the pen to a Cy Young starter.

And sometimes unhittable pitchers being groomed in the minors became very hittable when they come up.

Hitmen77
05-12-2007, 06:47 PM
I have a question - is Masset projected to be a starter eventually? Or is he slated to remain a reliever?

I like having him on the club. He really helped out when Buehrle got nailed by that line drive.

Huisj
05-12-2007, 06:54 PM
I think getting him enough work is the main worry. He threw 9 innings in the first two weeks of the season, most of those in the two long relief appearances he had opening week. In the four weeks since then, he's thrown 6 innings. That's not much.

The bullpen use is really odd this year. MacDougal seems to be up and throwing every stinking game, and he already looks like he's burning out. Masset seems to be totally forgotten at times. Obviously their roles are different, and you aren't going to be brining Masset in with a 1-run lead in the 8th inning, but it still seems like the use has been terribly unbalanced so far.

Mohoney
05-13-2007, 04:23 AM
I think that we'll see Masset's workload gradually start to increase over the next few weeks. In my opinion, the guy has looked impressive.

I'm sure that these 3 factors will end up in Masset (and Logan as well, who is another guy that has been impressing the hell out of me) getting more work:

1. Our starters have been flat-out workhorses, allowing our bullpen to become more specialized by throwing shorter stints.

2. Ozzie loves the lefty-lefty and righty-righty matchups, sometimes even too much (for my tastes).

3. We currently are carrying 12 pitchers, and that fact alone usually results in more specialization of the bullpen.

I think that we can really make hay with a 12 man staff until Pods comes back, at which point we have to decide if Sweeney or Logan goes down (assuming everybody else stays healthy).

Tragg
05-13-2007, 09:40 AM
I thought his job was to be the long reliever - it's a good spot for a young pitcher with upside, you don't get over-worked, etc. However, since the first week, we haven't had much need for long-relief.

jabrch
05-13-2007, 10:34 AM
I have no problem with how they are using him. It worked for Buehrle and Santana. If they plan on having him in the rotation in 2008 or even 2009, this is a fine way to develop him in the meantime.

I'm not sure what rotation spot he eventually slots into. I guess Jose or Gar if either leaves after their current deals? Buehrle's spot goes to Gio probaby.

Either way - it is a very good problem to have.

rainbow6
05-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Ooops, I take that back. Buerhle started 16 games and logged over 100 innings in the minors during the 2000 season before working "mostly in middle relief" for the Sox.

A useless comparison to Masset after all.

DickAllen72
05-13-2007, 01:56 PM
I have no problem with how they are using him. It worked for Buehrle and Santana. If they plan on having him in the rotation in 2008 or even 2009, this is a fine way to develop him in the meantime.
I agree. I have to give Ozzie props on the way he's been using Massett so far.

TDog
05-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Ooops, I take that back. Buerhle started 16 games and logged over 100 innings in the minors during the 2000 season before working "mostly in middle relief" for the Sox.

A useless comparison to Masset after all.

I had forgotten that he started the season in the minors. He was up with the White Sox around the time of the All-Star break. He debuted July 16, pitching the 9th inning of an 11-5 win against the Twins. I was at a game in August where he came in to pitch the 9th inning of a 13-0 win against the A's, again finishing the game for James Baldwin. The man sitting behind me told his friend, from out of town, that the Sox pitching was just so good that there wasn't any room for Mark Buehrle.

But the Sox brought him up using to get the spotty major league experience of finishing blowouts, spot starting and eating middle innings, which presumably is Masset's role now. It's true, though, that the analogy would have been clearer if Masset had started the season at Charlotte and the starting pitching had some of the same problems as the 2000 rotation experienced.

But I wouldn't call the comparison useless.

Corlose 15
05-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Well, he sucked today and his era is now above six. Should he even be in the majors right now?

BanditJimmy
05-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Well, he sucked today and his era is now above six. Should he even be in the majors right now?

The lack of work is killing this kid.

Ozzie wanted an extra man in the pen so they called up Boone. IMO this took away much needed work for Massett. I think AAA as a starter is where he needs to be right now.

Chicken Dinner
05-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Massets been in 10 games, pitched 15.2 innings, given up 15 hits, 9 runs (8 earned), 8 walks, with 8 K's.

Yes it's time for him to go down to the minors. 23 baserunners in 15.2 innings is not going to cut it.

pearso66
05-13-2007, 09:30 PM
I don't know if I read this here or not, but what's weird, is Ozzie said that when Thome comes back, that Sweeney will be sent down. I think Sweeney should stay up until Pods gets back, and one of Logan or Masset should be sent down. But that's my oppinion.

thomas35forever
05-13-2007, 09:35 PM
Don't be so quick to jump on Masset because of one bad outing. If he gets more opportunities, he should do well in them.

TDog
05-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Don't be so quick to jump on Masset because of one bad outing. If he gets more opportunities, he should do well in them.

I think people are looking at the home run to Morneau as well as today's outing. The big mistake in that inning, though, was walking Torii Hunter instead of going after him, setting up a match up against Morneau. I make that point in chat as Hunter was being walked. Judging Masset on his inability to get Morneau out in a game situation would be unfair.

And if you're going to have a really bad outing, a game where you're already down late is a good game to get that out of the way.

JB98
05-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Masset simply hasn't had enough work. It's a nice problem to have because it means our starters are going deep into games, leaving no opportunities for the long reliever.Nick has had a bad week. I'm not ready to send him back to the minors though. Maybe if our offense could blow somebody out for a change, we'd be able to get Masset some work in a garbage time situation.

Grzegorz
05-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Sweeney should stay up until the point Podsednik returns. Sweeney should also get as many at-bats as possible.

Face it, he cannot do any worse than the regulars and he brings an added dimension to the lineup: speed and defense.

Leave Masset alone and let him develop. I feel the pitching will be good enough this year. The question is whether the offense gets turned around and becomes a consistent force from now until the end of the season.

Anderson, Fields, & Sweeney are the future of this team; they should be allowed to develop as quickly and as efficiently as possible so that by next year they'll be ready to contribute day to day.

FedEx227
05-14-2007, 10:02 AM

It's the WSI way.

balke
05-14-2007, 02:39 PM
I was looking through some of the rosters in Birmingham and Charlotte. There are some relievers doing pretty well so far down there. Masset shouldn't be booted yet. We have enough relief help where we don't necessarily HAVE to use Masset. Its good experience for him. I think he gets a few more chances.

MCHSoxFan
05-14-2007, 09:55 PM
I don't know if I read this here or not, but what's weird, is Ozzie said that when Thome comes back, that Sweeney will be sent down. I think Sweeney should stay up until Pods gets back, and one of Logan or Masset should be sent down. But that's my oppinion.

I totally agree. I would send Boone down, keep Ryan till Pods comes back.

Sargeant79
05-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Masset is pitching like a rookie, which he is. Sometimes he looks great and then other days he blows up. He has blown up twice in the last week, so that's what people are focusing on since we have a tendency to have short memories. What we are not remembering is the third game of the year when he went almost 5 innings, not to mention several other outings where he came in and did what he was supposed to do.

He's also pitching in a middle relief role. Middle relievers are going to be up and down throughout a year. As another poster said, leave him alone. He's not going to be lights out every time. As long as he isn't down more than up and doesn't lose confidence (which will be up to the coaching staff to monitor), he should stay in the bigs and get his experience.