PDA

View Full Version : What's with all the mlb.tv blackouts?

StepsInSC
05-12-2007, 01:16 PM
I normally put mlb games on in the background even if it's not the Sox. But when I went to put some on today, I noticed the first 7 games on mlb.tv are all blacked out today. Yet there are no national games on right now. Anyone know what gives?

http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/index.jsp#20070512

Fenway
05-12-2007, 01:22 PM
not blacked out in Boston :?:

downstairs
05-12-2007, 01:28 PM
Its blacked out here too. Not sure how Fenway is seeing anything? Maybe Fenway is in Boston watching the Red Sox game?

Anyway... I believe Fox has the rights to this time period even if they don't play a game.

Isn't that what happens to the Sox for that dreaded early morning MIN game? The game is on at a time when no other games are, but Fox has the rights to 11am - 4pm or something regardless.

downstairs
05-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Here's the policy:

Broadcasters cannot show games of in-market teams regardless of whether the game is home or away as long as the game of the local team has a start time or likely end time intruding on FOX or ESPN's national window, unless that network waives its exclusivity.

Game starts at 12:00 Central, will "likely" run past 2:45pm... not gonna happen.

Oh, and I love the "that network waives its exclusivity". Sure, I'll hold my breath.

lumpyspun
05-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Here's the policy:

Broadcasters cannot show games of in-market teams regardless of whether the game is home or away as long as the game of the local team has a start time or likely end time intruding on FOX or ESPN's national window, unless that network waives its exclusivity.

Game starts at 12:00 Central, will "likely" run past 2:45pm... not gonna happen.

Oh, and I love the "that network waives its exclusivity". Sure, I'll hold my breath.

Basically what that policy says is, "We at MLB, FOX, and ESPN could really care less about fans. We would much rather make some money on advertising at the expense of people who pay good money for mlb.tv and Extra Innings. Piss off fans."

Fenway
05-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Its blacked out here too. Not sure how Fenway is seeing anything? Maybe Fenway is in Boston watching the Red Sox game?

Anyway... I believe Fox has the rights to this time period even if they don't play a game.

Isn't that what happens to the Sox for that dreaded early morning MIN game? The game is on at a time when no other games are, but Fox has the rights to 11am - 4pm or something regardless.

Boston is blacked out because it is on NESN

but I am getting Mets-Milwaukee

downstairs
05-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Boston is blacked out because it is on NESN

but I am getting Mets-Milwaukee

Hmmmm... you must have some super-secret code?!

:cool:

downstairs
05-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Basically what that policy says is, "We at MLB, FOX, and ESPN could really care less about fans. We would much rather make some money on advertising at the expense of people who pay good money for mlb.tv and Extra Innings. Piss off fans."

Well, they are a business, not a charity.

But... I never understood why they couldn't work something out with Fox. Maybe allow FOX free or discounted ads on the MLB.tv and EI broadcasts? I mean, they black out the commercials on the Internet... just throw ads for FOX shows and the like. Why not?

Or, brand all Saturday games as "FOX" with FOX graphics and the like. So we'd all be watching the FOX Game Of The Week, it would just be our choice.

comerica
05-12-2007, 02:38 PM
they're all blacked out here in detroit too. This verifies my earlier theory that I have no idea how the blackout rules work.

Fenway
05-12-2007, 02:47 PM
they're all blacked out here in detroit too. This verifies my earlier theory that I have no idea how the blackout rules work.

I am getting the Mets game but not the game in Toronto :?:

what the rule is
Due to Major League Baseball national exclusivities, scheduled webcasts of certain games during the regular season (including nationally televised games) will be blacked out. If you live within the following nations or territories, webcasts of games played before 4:30pm EST on Saturday and after 5pm EST on Sunday, will be blacked out: United States, Canada, Guam, US Virgin Islands, South Korea and Japan. Please be sure to visit the Multimedia Guide (http://mlb.mlb.com/mediacenter/index.jsp) during the 2007 MLB season for complete and updated schedule information.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/subscriptions/mlbtv.jsp?c_id=mlb?c_id=mlb

comerica
05-12-2007, 03:03 PM
oh man, you sox fans must be pissed. they're blacking out mlb.tv in an attempt to force you to watch the cubs.