PDA

View Full Version : Young Players You Like to Watch

RKMeibalane
05-12-2007, 11:00 AM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/jon_weisman/08/17/ethier.dodgers/t1_ethier.jpg

Name: Andre Ethier
Position: RF
Team: Los Angeles Dodgers

Included in the trade that sent Milton Bradley to Oakland, Ethier took the National League by storm in 2006, hitting .308 with 11 home runs and 55 runs batted in. Had it not been for a late-season slump that saw him lose playing time to Marlon Anderson, Ethier would undoubtedly finished with better numbers, and all signs point to him becoming an important part of the Dodger outfield for years to come.

goofymsfan
05-12-2007, 11:22 AM
The Double play combo of Yuniesky Betancourt and Jose Lopez.

DoItAllJoeHall
05-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Going along the lines of Sun Devil baseball...

Dustin Pedroia of the Red Sox and Travis Buck of the A's. Good to watch.

AJ Hellraiser
05-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Carl Crawford
Bill Hall
Jeff Francoeur
Miguel Cabrera
Hanley Ramirez
Josh Hamilton (though I think it's just because he's done so much cocaine and yet is somehow still a very talented ballplayer)
Adrian Gonzalez is a non-roided Rafael Palmeiro
Matt Holliday
Ian Kinsler

Scottiehaswheels
05-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Josh Hamilton (though I think it's just because he's done so much cocaine and yet is somehow still a very talented ballplayer)
Not that it matters either way but I thought it was heroin?

05-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Not that it matters either way but I thought it was heroin?

I'm pretty sure he has put everything into his body at one time or another.

AnkleSox
05-12-2007, 02:03 PM
I'm pretty sure he has put everything into his body at one time or another.

Either way i'm very happy he got his life together.

munchman33
05-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Chris Young.

comerica
05-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Billy Butler
his combination of great hitting and completely inept fielding makes sure something exciting is going to happen.

JGarlandrules20
05-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Jeff Francis, Zach Duke, Mark Teahen

joebro25
05-12-2007, 10:38 PM
A few that haven't been posted yet:
Jose Reyes
Ryan Sweeney
David Wright
Ryan Zimmerman
Felix Hernandez
Nick Markakis
Robinson Cano

oeo
05-12-2007, 11:05 PM
There are a lot, most of which have been mentioned...so I'll mention one that probably isn't popular. He's not an All Star, but I like the way he plays the game...Shane Victorino. I'd love for that guy to wear a Sox uni some day. :dunno:

voodoochile
05-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Ryan Sweeney...

:D::cool::supernana:

Vestigio
05-13-2007, 12:41 AM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/logo/t556_logo_sm.gifRyan Braun 8 | 3B

Nashville Sounds
MLB Parent Club: Milwaukee (http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/minors/milb_redirector.jsp?cid=t158)

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_460075.jpgStats
Full Name: Ryan Joseph Braun
Born: 11/17/1983
Birthplace: Mission Hills, CA
College: Miami, FL
Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 200
Bats: R
Throws: R

.358 AVG, 95 AB, 22 R, 34 H, 10 2B, 8 HR, 17 RBI, 11 BB, 9 SO

lizard6king6
05-13-2007, 01:06 AM
Upton from the Rays and Johnson from the braves. There are so many good talented young players out there. I also have been excited about Sweeney for us for quite awhile now.

lakeviewsoxfan
05-13-2007, 01:26 AM
All of TB players, now if they had any management at all they would have at least 2 goo arms to back Kazmir and the one udder guy on their team.

StillMissOzzie
05-13-2007, 01:57 AM
Is Grady "Superman" Sizemore still considered young? That's my pick...

SMO
:gulp:

Domeshot17
05-13-2007, 01:58 AM
I don't know if he is still "Young" but I love watching Jake Peavy pitch. The guy reminds me of Oswalt, You just watch him and are in aw as the ball just zings off his arm.

Another guy who is no longer young, and this is going to be really unpopular here, but when I pitched in highschool/college and summer leagues, I really liked to watch Prior pitch. Go figure, I always thought with those mechanics he would never have arm problems.

My homer kid is Ryan Sweeney, smoothest swing I have seen from a Sox rook in a long time.

My last one, another Padres kid, is Kevin (im going to butcher this) Kouzmanoff. He is going to be exciting, same with Alex Gordon (I know I will grow to hate the kid, which means I think he will be very good, part of the reason the Royals eventually get back on top).

AnkleSox
05-13-2007, 04:23 AM
Ryan Sweeney...

More and more every day. haven't seen such a disciplined eye from a Sox rookie for a while. (crazy to think he's only a year younger than me)

Grzegorz
05-13-2007, 05:58 AM
Outside of the obvious, Ryan Sweeney, I love to watch the development of Mark Teahan.

I'd love to see this guy in a Chicago White Sox jersey.

FarWestChicago
05-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Ryan Sweeney...

:D::cool::supernana:I'm with Voo. :thumbsup:

Frater Perdurabo
05-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Ryan Sweeney...

AMEN! I love watching young Sox players, especially when they excel.

I don't want to start another Anderson argument, but I love(d) watching BA play center field.

I hope both Sweeney and Anderson become solid MLB OFs with the Sox, and that we'll be able to watch both of them for many years to come.

Jjav829
05-13-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure what the cutoff is for "young" players, but here's a list of generally young guys I like to watch.

:worship: :worship: :worship:http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050526/050526_jake_peavy_hmed.hmedium.jpgJake Peavy
Chase Utley
Dan Haren
Ian Kinsler
J.J. Hardy
Kevin Youkilis
Andre Ethier
Alex Rios
David Wright
Jose Reyes
Khalil Greene
Nick Markakis
Daniel Cabrera
Kelly Johnson
Mark Teahen
Rickie Weeks
Ryan Zimmerman
Grady Sizemore
Russell Martin
Stephen Drew
Chris Burke
Ryan Sweeney

y2j2785
05-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Jeff Francouer
Ryan Sweeney
Felix Hernandez
Scott Kazmir
Cole Hamels
Brian McCann
Andre Ethier
JJ Hardy
Bill Hall
Prince Fielder
David Wright
Chase Utley
Kelly Johnson

beckett21
05-13-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure what the cutoff is for "young" players, but here's a list of generally young guys I like to watch.

:worship: :worship: :worship:http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050526/050526_jake_peavy_hmed.hmedium.jpg

Jake Peavy

I second this. Peavy is flat-out fun to watch. I'm glad he plays on the west coast so that I get to catch most of his games on Extra Innings. The guy is a bulldog on the mound. Great intensity.

I tend to like young power pitchers. Guys like AJ Burnett, Rich Harden, Cole Hamels. Josh Beckett, of course, though he and Burnett are a little older now. Ian Snell and Matt Cain also come to mind.

As a self-admitted fantasy baseball geek, I tend to follow/draft a lot of the guys I like. The problem is, most of these guys also tend to get hurt a lot. :redneck

As far as everyday players go, Grady Sizemore's all-around game is fun to watch, and I love to watch Travis Hafner hit. :redface:

As far as the Sox, Ryan Sweeney is quickly rising up the list. The guy just looks like a ballplayer. I'm looking forward to watching his game develop. :thumbsup:

goofymsfan
05-13-2007, 08:58 PM
I didn't know what was considered young, so I didn't include JJ Putz and George Sherrill, Brian Fuentes since they've been in the league for a few years. I should have mentioned Felix though. I can't believe I forgot to mention him. Cha Sueng Baek is fun to watch too. I also like Choo who was in the M's system but is now in the Indian's system.

gobears1987
05-13-2007, 10:37 PM
Danks and Sweeney

palehozenychicty
05-14-2007, 10:23 AM
There are a lot, most of which have been mentioned...so I'll mention one that probably isn't popular. He's not an All Star, but I like the way he plays the game...Shane Victorino. I'd love for that guy to wear a Sox uni some day. :dunno:

I like him a lot. In fact, I love watching the Phillies play in general. They have great speed and decent bats, but they do make a lot of bonehead plays in the field.

FedEx227
05-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Jose Reyes
Ian Snell
Grady Sizemore
David Wright
Jeff Francouer
Scott Kazmir
BJ Upton
Delmon Young
Rocco Baldelli
Carl Crawford
Elijah Dukes
Mark Teahen
Joey Gathright
Nick Swisher
Dan Haren
JJ Hardy
Rickie Weeks
Cole Hamels
Chris Young (OF)
Alex Gordon

RadioheadRocks
05-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Ryan Zimmerman

maurice
05-14-2007, 08:49 PM
All of them.
:cool:

chisox117
05-18-2007, 06:26 PM
I'm surprised no one had mentioned Curtis Granderson yet. I like to watch him in the field and at the plate (he does strike out a lot, but he seems to be on the verge of putting things together and hitting for more power so far this season).
As far as young Sox players go, I've been enjoying watching Danks and Sweeny this season.

:gulp:

skottyj242
05-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Lincecum? Anybody said him yet? I wanted to get him for my fantasy team like two weeks ago before he came up but my buddy grabbed him.

RadioheadRocks
05-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Ryan Zimmerman

Got to see a Nats-Braves game while I was in DC Wednesday night (had to go while they were still playing baseball at RFK), and in the middle of the first inning they did one of those fan contests for kids where they ask "who do you want to hit a home run tonight?" This little boy was about 8 or 9 and he went with Zimmerman... lo and behold Zimmerman came through with the long ball and the kid won an autographed baseball. :bandance: