PDA

View Full Version : DJ is no Vin Scully

Vance Law's Dog
05-11-2007, 09:40 PM
This is the second time in as many weeks that DJ has stated the obvious in his commentary:

1. 'Gary Matthews Jr., son of Gary Matthews Sr.'

2. 'Tony Pena Jr., son of Tony Pena Sr.'

Does he think he's calling a Cubs game, where listeners wouldn't know the names of past baseball players and their current playing offspring??

??

MarySwiss
05-11-2007, 09:54 PM
This is the second time in as many weeks that DJ has stated the obvious in his commentary:

1. 'Gary Matthews Jr., son of Gary Matthews Sr.'

2. 'Tony Pena Jr., son of Tony Pena Sr.'

Does he think he's calling a Cubs game, where listeners wouldn't know the names of past baseball players and their current playing offspring??

??

Well, some younger fans might not. But I take your point. If he's going to identify the players by their sires, he probably should say something like, "Gary Matthews Jr., whose dad played for the Cubs."

HotelWhiteSox
05-11-2007, 10:00 PM
I liked the awkward silence that just followed after DJ's last comment (or I guess it was supposed to be a joke?) Something about grass not being able to get killed if the KC outfield would move around more often

tick53
05-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Vin Scully. Hell, Vin Diesel could do a better job analyzing a baseball game.

HITMEN OF 77
05-12-2007, 10:44 PM
DJ is ten times better than what the Seattle Mariners have there booth.

RadioheadRocks
05-12-2007, 10:46 PM
To be fair, I did enjoy DJ's comment about that KC fan with the blue wig "saluting" A.J. when that fan made those gestures that really shouldn't have been caught on camera. :cool:

ode to veeck
05-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Vin Scully. Hell, Vin Diesel could do a better job analyzing a baseball game.

Yep, the thread title is definitely misleading

Huisj
05-12-2007, 11:33 PM
DJ is ten times better than what the Seattle Mariners have there booth.

Yeah, I saw them on the sox games out there the other week on MLB.TV, and they were quite bad. Blowers just kind of mumbles and doesn't add much, and the other guy gets WAY too excited about just routine plays, like:

"Two outs, nobody on here in the fifth, SWING AND A GROUNDBALL TO SECOND! LOPEZ FIELDS IT! HE THROWWWWWS HIM OUT AT FIRST FOR OUT NUMBER THREE!!! INNING OVER!"

Sheesh. They were bad.

Frontman
05-12-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm sorry, DJ is miles beyond the color commentator on WGN for the Flubs games.

Granted, Chris Singelton does a better job analyzing a game compared to Santo; and that's saying something.

HITMEN OF 77
05-13-2007, 12:41 AM
To be fair, I did enjoy DJ's comment about that KC fan with the blue wig "saluting" A.J. when that fan made those gestures that really shouldn't have been caught on camera. :cool:

Yea that was pretty good.

MetroPD
05-13-2007, 09:43 PM
I think DJ's dry humor is hilarious. He does a great job of stating the obvious and when he says them, you can just picture that goofy look on his face.