PDA

View Full Version : Todd Helton

Madvora
05-11-2007, 02:56 PM
I have to admit that I have my baseball blinders on when it comes to players that don't normally play against the Sox. The only games I ever watch are Sox games, so I really don't know too much about other players around the league.

Anyway, I was just looking at the MLB stats and noticed that Todd Helton is leading the NL with a .393 average right now. Then I looked at his other stats to get a refresher on him. This guy is unbelievable! And a 3 time gold glover too!
I'd have to assume a guy like this is bound for the hall of fame, but has he already played enough? He's in his 11th season now with a .334 career average. My God he can hit!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5870

IndianWhiteSox
05-11-2007, 03:11 PM
I have to admit that I have my baseball blinders on when it comes to players that don't normally play against the Sox. The only games I ever watch are Sox games, so I really don't know too much about other players around the league.

Anyway, I was just looking at the MLB stats and noticed that Todd Helton is leading the NL with a .393 average right now. Then I looked at his other stats to get a refresher on him. This guy is unbelievable! And a 3 time gold glover too!
I'd have to assume a guy like this is bound for the hall of fame, but has he already played enough? He's in his 11th season now with a .334 career average. My God he can hit!

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=5870

For those great numbers there are two simple reasons:

Coors Field and NL Pitching

Though, he is definitely not a hall of famer right now. Not to mention, the fact about his steroid rumors being a strong possibility as well considering the fact that he had a intestinal illness.

Also, if the Sox really want him, he can opt out after '07 if he wishes just like A-Rod.

jabrch
05-11-2007, 03:20 PM
He can be had for cheap - Colorado would give him away for nothing if a team wants to take his crazy salary, or would pay part of the salary if you gave them enough for him. There are two problems with him. First, he has lost a lot of the power he had when he was younger. Second, they tried to make an OF of him, and he couldn't. We already have a 1B and a DH. Nowhere to put him.

I'd love to see Helton on this team - if he played a position we needed.

jabrch
05-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Also, if the Sox really want him, he can opt out after '07 if he wishes just like A-Rod.

There is absolutely no chance he opts out of his current deal. He'd have to take something like a 10mm per season paycut.

IndianWhiteSox
05-11-2007, 03:24 PM
There is absolutely no chance he opts out of his current deal. He'd have to take something like a 10mm per season paycut.

Well there are always dumb teams out east.........

maurice
05-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Helton is a very, very good player.

Surprisingly, not every Colorado Rockies player can match his ridiculous career OPS.

goon
05-11-2007, 03:30 PM
He may be hitting .393, but he has 3 home runs and as a 1st baseman, that kind of sucks considering that is a position where teams look to get some power. I suppose the Rockies don't need the long ball from their 1st baseman because they have Holliday and Atkins, but it would be nice to see him shave about 60 points off that average and add about 8 home runs... I don't see that happening though, especially after seeing what he has done the last few seasons.

D. TODD
05-11-2007, 03:35 PM
He may be hitting .393, but he has 3 home runs and as a 1st baseman, that kind of sucks considering that is a position where teams look to get some power. I suppose the Rockies don't need the long ball from their 1st baseman because they have Holliday and Atkins, but it would be nice to see him shave about 60 points off that average and add about 8 home runs... I don't see that happening though, especially after seeing what he has done the last few seasons.
He is one of if not my favorite player in the game. A pure hitter; I love the smooth swingin' lefties. Will Clark was another one of my favorites.

goon
05-11-2007, 03:45 PM
He is one of if not my favorite player in the game. A pure hitter; I love the smooth swingin' lefties. Will Clark was another one of my favorites.

Okay, but if all you needed to be was Gap hitter to get a starting 1st baseman, then every 1st baseman would be Ross Gload... and if you compare him to the price of his contract, he's overrated.

Hitting .393 is awesome, even if it's in the NL, but this is a guy who at one point in his career hit 49 home runs AND batted .336, he's not Tony Gwynn or something. To me what he's done in the past is much more impressive than what he doing now and what's worse is that he is only 33, so what exactly is the reason for the lack of power?... don't answer that.

IndianWhiteSox
05-11-2007, 03:47 PM
Okay, but if all you needed to be was Gap hitter to get a starting 1st baseman, then every 1st baseman would be Ross Gload... and if you compare him to the price of his contract, he's overrated.

Hitting .393 is awesome, even if it's in the NL, but this is a guy who at one point in his career hit 49 home runs AND batted .336, he's not Tony Gwynn or something. To me what he's done in the past is much more impressive than what he doing now and what's worse is that he is only 33, so what exactly is the reason for the lack of power?

And you officially turned it into another could he be off the 'roids thread.
:tongue:

Although seriously that has to be reason, considering the fact that he lost 20lbs but to a intestinal illness.

MISoxfan
05-11-2007, 04:07 PM
He doesn't fit on the Sox, but the threadstarter never said he did. He's still a great OBP and average hitter even after the intestine thing. I'm not the best one to ask on whether or not he's HOF worthy, but I think if he keeps up even his current pace for awhile he should be in there.

I think playing for the Rockies hurts his overall appeal, and how did he ever finish so low (5th) in the 2000 MVP.

Madvora
05-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I had no thoughts about him on the Sox, but was just amazed at his year to year batting averages. He's in a place where he is almost completely unnoticed by me. He's been doing all of this behind my back for 11 years.

chaerulez
05-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Helton never struck me as the steriod using type, simply because his body doesn't seem to fit the bill, but I guess you never know these days. If Helton retires with 2500 hits and a batting average of .325+ for his career, Coors Fields and NL pitching or not he should be a first ballot HOFer.

goon
05-11-2007, 05:51 PM
And you officially turned it into another could he be off the 'roids thread.

Actually, you did when you said this:

...Not to mention, the fact about his steroid rumors being a strong possibility as well considering the fact that he had a intestinal illness.

I only hinted at it, but steroids or not, he has lost a lot of power.

IndianWhiteSox
05-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Actually, you did when you said this:

I only hinted at it, but steroids or not, he has lost a lot of power.

Well anyway, this sounds like your typical case of someone who is off the roids.

Frater Perdurabo
05-12-2007, 01:16 AM
What specific intestinal illness is he suffering?

Anyway, his power numbers also could have declined because of the humidor used to store game balls at Coors Field. Since the team began using the humidor, the HR rate at Coors has dropped.

Coors Field has large dimensions, and consequently always has (and still does) give up a lot of doubles and triples. Many of those doubles and triples would be HRs at a stadium like the Cell.