PDA

View Full Version : Red line reroutes

Jerko
05-11-2007, 09:26 AM
Anybody taking the Red Line to the Cell this weekend (Sat and Sun) may want to check this out:

http://transitchicago.com/news/whatsnewA.wu?action=displaynewspostingdetail&articleid=132553

ewokpelts
05-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Anybody taking the Red Line to the Cell this weekend (Sat and Sun) may want to check this out:

http://transitchicago.com/news/whatsnewA.wu?action=displaynewspostingdetail&articleid=132553

for some fans, it might end up being BETTER

jenn2080
05-11-2007, 09:36 AM

It was running like that 2 weeks ago. It actually was not bad at all. It does suck for all the people who get on the train using the subway and they find out that it is closed. I get on the red line at Fullerton so I am fine.

thegooch
05-11-2007, 09:45 AM
it was like that for the angels series. It's annoying becasue the conducter announces at every stop that you are actually on a red line train. The trip took an extra 20 minutes because of this. CTA = Complete and Total A$$.

itsnotrequired
05-11-2007, 09:47 AM
it was like that for the angels series. It's annoying becasue the conducter announces at every stop that you are actually on a red line train. The trip took an extra 20 minutes because of this. CTA = Complete and Total A$$.

The train is running on different tracks so the conductors are supposed to announce it. The ride took 20 minutes longer because they were announcing it was a Red line train at stops?

:rolleyes:

jenn2080
05-11-2007, 09:50 AM
The train is running on different tracks so the conductors are supposed to announce it. The ride took 20 minutes longer because they were announcing it was a Red line train at stops?

I actually did not think it took any longer in fact I thought it ran pretty smoothly and was a shorter trip.

daveeym
05-11-2007, 09:57 AM
for some fans, it might end up being BETTER
It rocked when they did this during the last home stand. Quickest, easiest red line trip to the Cell I've ever had.

Sargeant79
05-11-2007, 09:58 AM
They've been doing that for years whenever they've needed to work on the subway. If the trip took longer, it wasn't because it was on the elevated tracks.

IIRC, that's the way that the route that is now called the Red Line took when I was a kid. It started at Howard, stayed on the El tracks, and followed the path of what is now the green line on the south side.

VenturaFan23
05-11-2007, 09:59 AM
It was running like that 2 weeks ago. It actually was not bad at all. It does suck for all the people who get on the train using the subway and they find out that it is closed. I get on the red line at Fullerton so I am fine.

You're right. Two weeks ago, we had a get together over on State & Grand before the game, so we thought it would be great to just hop on the Red line there to get to the game. What we didn't know was that it was closed! So we ended up walking over to the Brown line on Chicago Ave. The re-routed red line train was PACKED. So we decided to take the Brown and transferred over to the Red on Wabash/Adams and it was empty. So I thought it was a good move on our part. So that's another option.

skottyj242
05-11-2007, 10:00 AM
It was fine when we took it on Saturday, it was a shorter trip, on Sunday though it seemed to make more stops and it took like fifteen minutes longer. I luv iPods.

thegooch
05-11-2007, 10:00 AM

At every single station on the way the wait was about 2-3 minutes longer. I understand that they need to announce it but on my sunday train to the Angels game the trip took 20 minutes longer than usual.

Jerko
05-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Sorry I said anything......... Just wanted to make sure people knew where to get on the train before they left the house, that's all....

itsnotrequired
05-11-2007, 10:05 AM
At every single station on the way the wait was about 2-3 minutes longer. I understand that they need to announce it but on my sunday train to the Angels game the trip took 20 minutes longer than usual.

The wait at the stations was not becuase of the announcement. It was delayed for other reasons.

thegooch
05-11-2007, 10:08 AM
The wait at the stations was not becuase of the announcement. It was delayed for other reasons.

Well, they didn't say anything about any other reasons; just another reason the CTA = Complete and Total A$$.

itsnotrequired
05-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Well, they didn't say anything about any other reasons; just another reason the CTA = Complete and Total A$$.

If it bothers you, you can always stop taking it.

Law11
05-11-2007, 10:14 AM

Why did the announcing matter. Did he stop the train every time he talked...

thegooch
05-11-2007, 10:23 AM
If it bothers you, you can always stop taking it.

Believe me I have stopped taking that third world transit system as much as possible, I bike to work and pretty much walk everywhere else, but without an auto its tough for me to get to the cell. Instead of making excuses for the CTA all the time we should demand better service.

itsnotrequired
05-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Believe me I have stopped taking that third world transit system as much as possible, I bike to work and pretty much walk everywhere else, but without an auto its tough for me to get to the cell. Instead of making excuses for the CTA all the time we should demand better service.

Third world transit? I have no problem getting around on the CTA.

MushMouth
05-11-2007, 10:30 AM
As always, I advocate taking the Green Line whenever possible and getting off at IIT - less crowded and less stops (faster ride from the loop or west side)

Count me as another who finds the CTA does a great job, other than NYC, no other city is even close with convenient Public Transit.

thegooch
05-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Third world transit? I have no problem getting around on the CTA.

Well, I have encountered numerous problems. Problems that persist. Compared to the other mass transit systems I have taken, the CTA is clearly lacking.

jenn2080
05-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Well, I have encountered numerous problems. Problems that persist. Compared to the other mass transit systems I have taken, the CTA is clearly lacking.

I have to say I think NYC, DC and SF have better Public Trans than Chicago.

thegooch
05-11-2007, 10:36 AM
As always, I advocate taking the Green Line whenever possible and getting off at IIT - less crowded and less stops (faster ride from the loop or west side)

Count me as another who finds the CTA does a great job, other than NYC, no other city is even close with convenient Public Transit.

Have you ever been to DC? The CTA could learn something from that system.

daveeym
05-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Wow you must have riled up some CTA employees that are nervous about getting the ax. :D: The el service is pretty poor most of the times.

jenn2080
05-11-2007, 10:45 AM

Hands down the BEST Public Trans :bandance:

DSpivack
05-11-2007, 11:18 AM

What's to learn? The CTA faces a lot more problems concerning upkeep and maintenance because Chicago's train lines were built in the late 1800s and the early 1900s, while the DC Metro was built in the 1970s. While the DC Metro and SF's BART are clean and usually very efficient, you can't compare two modern-rail lines to one that is over 100 years old.

puckereduppiet
05-11-2007, 11:32 AM
thanks

thegooch
05-11-2007, 11:39 AM
What's to learn? The CTA faces a lot more problems concerning upkeep and maintenance because Chicago's train lines were built in the late 1800s and the early 1900s, while the DC Metro was built in the 1970s. While the DC Metro and SF's BART are clean and usually very efficient, you can't compare two modern-rail lines to one that is over 100 years old.

so the age of the train lines makes the cars dirty? None of the rail cars are that much older than the cars in DC, yet they are continually filthy.

roadrunner
05-11-2007, 11:46 AM
Hands down the BEST Public Trans :bandance:

Easy on the chitown kool-aid. The CTA sucks and it has nothing to do with the city. Old public trans systems are going to suck (older technology) - and chicago has one of them. Cities that had public trans built more recently are going to have better systems. Mexico City being my prime example.

Jerko
05-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Easy on the chitown kool-aid. The CTA sucks and it has nothing to do with the city. Old public trans systems are going to suck (older technology) - and chicago has one of them. Cities that had public trans built more recently are going to have better systems. Mexico City being my prime example.

I think she meant DC's was the best.......

roadrunner
05-11-2007, 11:52 AM
I think she meant DC's was the best.......

oops - you're right, sorry Jenn - the rest of my point remains valid

jenn2080
05-11-2007, 12:02 PM
oops - you're right, sorry Jenn - the rest of my point remains valid

What about NYC? I think NYC has better and more realiable PT also. Then again I have only taken it on the short weekends when I visit.

MushMouth
05-11-2007, 12:07 PM
DC has about 1/50th of the system we have in terms of miles and upkeep. It's not a tangible option all across that city, it's very specific to a couple routes. Easy to maintain something like that.

Like I said - outside of NYC, nobody in the states is even close to the CTA - tons of issue coming up w/ the old train lines, but it'll be dealt with... It's silly to knock the CTA- they do a pretty fantastic job across the board.

itsnotrequired
05-11-2007, 12:31 PM
What about NYC? I think NYC has better and more realiable PT also. Then again I have only taken it on the short weekends when I visit.

The public funding the CTA receives is laughable compared to the public funding MTA receives.

thegooch
05-11-2007, 12:56 PM
DC has about 1/50th of the system we have in terms of miles and upkeep.

Incorrect. DC has 106.3 miles of track on the metro(and has the second most amount of riders). The el covers 106.1 miles.

I'm not saying DC is perfect or the CTA has no redeeming qualities, but there are pressing issues that need to be addressed.

DSpivack
05-11-2007, 01:04 PM
so the age of the train lines makes the cars dirty? None of the rail cars are that much older than the cars in DC, yet they are continually filthy.

Sorry if I misunderstood your point, I was commenting on comparing the two systems in general.

But even with cleaning the rail cars, the DC Metro does not run 24 hours, which makes a big difference in terms of cleanliness.

jenn2080
05-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Sorry if I misunderstood your point, I was commenting on comparing the two systems in general.

But even with cleaning the rail cars, the DC Metro does not run 24 hours, which makes a big difference in terms of cleanliness.

Whether it runs 24 hrs or not there still should be people cleaning them.

DSpivack
05-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Whether it runs 24 hrs or not there still should be people cleaning them.

Right, but it's a lot easier to clean a system that is shut down.

C-Dawg
05-11-2007, 11:58 PM
I rarely encounter a dirty CTA railcar. There's been exceptions of course, but filthyness wouldn't even be on my list of complaints. I'll admit about 99% of my CTA mileage is to and from Sox games, so maybe I'm not seeing the whole system.

Tonight's game (Friday) the Red Line was on its normal route.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-12-2007, 01:17 PM
DC has about 1/50th of the system we have in terms of miles and upkeep. It's not a tangible option all across that city, it's very specific to a couple routes. Easy to maintain something like that.

Like I said - outside of NYC, nobody in the states is even close to the CTA - tons of issue coming up w/ the old train lines, but it'll be dealt with... It's silly to knock the CTA- they do a pretty fantastic job across the board.

the metro isn't a tangible option all across DC? i never had a problem getting from virginia to anywhere i wanted to go in the district.

it doesn't really matter how old the rail lines are in chicago- if they would keep them maintained, we wouldn't be running into the issues we are right now. the bottom line is that the cta is poorly managed- why are there a lot of trains one morning and few the next? why has there been a gap between 5:00 and 5:20 for the last 2 weeks where no brown or purple line trains enter the loop? why are most stations unaccessable to the handicapped? why are there 4 cta workers just walking around on every platform? to say that they do a fantastic job is a heck of a stretch.

ilsox7
05-12-2007, 01:22 PM
the metro isn't a tangible option all across DC? i never had a problem getting from virginia to anywhere i wanted to go in the district.

it doesn't really matter how old the rail lines are in chicago- if they would keep them maintained, we wouldn't be running into the issues we are right now. the bottom line is that the cta is poorly managed- why are there a lot of trains one morning and few the next? why has there been a gap between 5:00 and 5:20 for the last 2 weeks where no brown or purple line trains enter the loop? why are most stations unaccessable to the handicapped? why are there 4 cta workers just walking around on every platform? to say that they do a fantastic job is a heck of a stretch.

It's unfair to rip the CTA without mentioning the lack of funding they receive. I agree it has its problems that need to be addressed, but it also has a lot to do with lack of money. Chicago 2016 would go a long way to solving the problem. Along with the new management, things could really turn around!

itsnotrequired
05-12-2007, 01:32 PM

Maybe on the North Side but the South Side has nearly every station accessible including the entire Orange, Green (south branch) and Pink Line. Over half the Ryan is accessible as well as over half the Lake branch of the Green.

Most stations were built when ADA rules didn't exist. As the stations are replaced, accessibility is mandated by federal law.

I_Liked_Manuel
05-12-2007, 02:25 PM
It's unfair to rip the CTA without mentioning the lack of funding they receive. I agree it has its problems that need to be addressed, but it also has a lot to do with lack of money. Chicago 2016 would go a long way to solving the problem. Along with the new management, things could really turn around!

it's the cta's responsibility to use its money appropriately. for example, having a handful of people standing around on every platform during construction, sometimes handing out brochures, probably isn't the best use of funds.

getting the olympics is only going to further the cta's position that it will just get bailed out every time its mismanagment puts it in a financial bind.

ilsox7
05-12-2007, 02:29 PM
it's the cta's responsibility to use its money appropriately. for example, having a handful of people standing around on every platform during construction, sometimes handing out brochures, probably isn't the best use of funds.

getting the olympics is only going to further the cta's position that it will just get bailed out every time its mismanagment puts it in a financial bind.

Here's a math problem:

You need $10 to fix something. You are given $3. Fix it!

There is no doubt the CTA has many, many issues. But to put the blame solely on CTA management (as you did), is not proper. It is a mix of a few things, but one of the major reasons is a lack of money.

It's Dankerific
05-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Its like giving money to your cousin thats always having some sort of problem. you know he needs $10, but you know the last upteen million times you've given him money he's bought an Ipod, new rims, and still can't make it to grandma's b-day party because he's broke.

Here's a math problem:

You need $10 to fix something. You are given $3. Fix it!

There is no doubt the CTA has many, many issues. But to put the blame solely on CTA management (as you did), is not proper. It is a mix of a few things, but one of the major reasons is a lack of money.

ilsox7
05-12-2007, 02:59 PM
Its like giving money to your cousin thats always having some sort of problem. you know he needs $10, but you know the last upteen million times you've given him money he's bought an Ipod, new rims, and still can't make it to grandma's b-day party because he's broke.

Well, the hope is the new management will make better use of their funds. But even if they use the money to its maximum efficiency, they will still be BILLIONS of dollars short of what is needed. Hence Chicago 2016 is the best, and possibly only, "short-term" solution to the problem. That or $10 rides on the CTA.

itsnotrequired
05-12-2007, 03:18 PM

What "iPod" or "rims" has the CTA recently purchased?

It's Dankerific
05-12-2007, 03:26 PM
What "iPod" or "rims" has the CTA recently purchased?

Paying out of general funds to install cellphone "towers" so that they can be used while in the subway before their was a contract from a single major cell phone company (who should just have paid for the opportunity to put their OWN "towers" in).

Any "beautification" project. (get the trains and buses reliable, then make it pretty).

itsnotrequired
05-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Paying out of general funds to install cellphone "towers" so that they can be used while in the subway before their was a contract from a single major cell phone company (who should just have paid for the opportunity to put their OWN "towers" in).

Any "beautification" project. (get the trains and buses reliable, then make it pretty).

The wireless infrastructure installation cost was what, $3 million? For an agency with a budget of $1.2+ billion, that installation cost represents less than three tenths of a percent. That's like that cousin of yours buying a pack of gum.

The fact is the CTA has been doing more with less for years. IllinoisFIRST funding is gone, funding from the city has remained at the same level for decades and the general funding is based on an arbitrary tax structure that is now 25 years old. It is finally catching up with them.

It's Dankerific
05-12-2007, 03:54 PM
So if its a "small" amount of money, its ok to waste? Seems like thats a philosophy that could add up real quick.

1.2 billion dollars is ALOT of money. For a 10 million dollar prize (the X prize) people put rockets into space...

The wireless infrastructure installation cost was what, $3 million? For an agency with a budget of $1.2+ billion, that installation cost represents less than three tenths of a percent. That's like that cousin of yours buying a pack of gum.

The fact is the CTA has been doing more with less for years. IllinoisFIRST funding is gone, funding from the city has remained at the same level for decades and the general funding is based on an arbitrary tax structure that is now 25 years old. It is finally catching up with them.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-12-2007, 04:31 PM

Any station I've seen "beautified" was also being rebuilt anyway, for functionality. I don't spend much time at the stations further out (except the airports), but making the downtown ones look clean and bright increases ridership, not only with tourists -- and there are plenty of those using the CTA, believe me -- but with the sharply increasing population that lives close in.

Over the past few decades the buses got continuously newer and better and bus routes multiplied, while the much more formidable problems of updating the rail system were dodged. Maybe there was a belief that people would prefer bus routes, which can run closer to where they lived, and were going, than the El and subway routes did; maybe (more likely) it's that updating the rail system is a much more planning-intensive and expensive project than making the buses accessible, adding bike racks, endlessly reconfiguring the seats, etc. and the funding just was not there.

But car ownership and use continued to explode (500,000 fewer people in city limits, 500,000 more cars) and people who use public trans went rail rather than deal with the resulting traffic in an arterial street grid that's basically fixed. So the El is jammed, the repairs finally begin and now more people feel the pain.

itsnotrequired
05-13-2007, 08:22 AM
So if its a "small" amount of money, its ok to waste? Seems like thats a philosophy that could add up real quick.

How is the money wasted? The CTA already has an agreement with US Cellular to lease the wireless equipment. It is a $3 million deal over 10 years. As other carriers come on line, it will become a cash cow for the CTA. What's the problem?

itsnotrequired
05-15-2007, 07:37 AM
FYI, southbound Red will be running over the top again tonight and on Wednesday night. I can't see how this would affect anyone going to/from the game as it is the southbound only but here ya go.

http://yourcta.com/news/whatsnewA.wu?action=displaynewspostingdetail&articleid=105491