PDA

View Full Version : Sidenote: Where does Hawk go???

Jerksticks
05-11-2007, 12:03 AM
You fans ever notice during the broadcasts that Hawk will just disappear for a half inning? That's when you get DJ doing eveything himself and he makes his famous "four-bagger" homerun call. So...where does Hawk go? This happens a lot if you pay attention.

Have we talked about this before? I could care less if we have. I want answers or hypotheses.

gobears1987
05-11-2007, 12:06 AM
:gulp:
Oh we were talking about Hawk. Sorry, I thought you were asking where Harry Caray would go.

oeo
You fans ever notice during the broadcasts that Hawk will just disappear for a half inning? That's when you get DJ doing eveything himself and he makes his famous "four-bagger" homerun call. So...where does Hawk go? This happens a lot if you pay attention.

Have we talked about this before? I could care less if we have. I want answers or hypotheses.

DJ usually does PBP in the 5th inning, but Hawk is still there. If something happens, he'll chime in, otherwise it's DJ talking to himself. Probably the biggest reason DJ sounds so bad.

JermaineDye05
bathroom break is one reason I bet, and I believe he's giving DJ a shot at play by play which DJ has actually improved on this season.

Jerksticks
05-11-2007, 12:08 AM
DJ usually does PBP in the 5th inning, but Hawk is still there. If something happens, he'll chime in, otherwise it's DJ talking to himself. Probably the biggest reason DJ sounds so bad.

I disagree. I get the feeling that Hawk is nowhere to be seen. Like he's off chasing falcons or something.

oeo
05-11-2007, 12:09 AM
I disagree. I get the feeling that Hawk is nowhere to be seen. Like he's off chasing falcons or something.

It seems that way...until there's a big defensive play or a homerun, and Hawk will say something. Hawk doesn't do color, I guess. :dunno:

Jerksticks
05-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Hold up Hold up....I'm talking about those half innings when there is NO Hawk. Not a word from him and not a reference to him from DJ.

I like DJ more every year.

....but the question remains where does old one eye wander off too? Maybe it's not wild falcons, maybe he has to change his depends.

chisoxfanatic
05-11-2007, 12:19 AM
He's meeting Manny in the Green Monster via a human transporter machine.

GregO23
05-11-2007, 12:20 AM
someone check the booth next time they go to the Cell...im sure you can see if hes there if you check every inning. I bet hes there hes just letting his vocals rest a bit?:D:

CLR01
05-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Maybe it's not wild falcons, maybe he has to change his depends.

I'm sure that's it. :rolleyes:

HITMEN OF 77
05-11-2007, 01:58 AM
I think Hawk uses the restroom when he's not heard more times than not. It might be the medication he's on, not sure.

Corlose 15
05-11-2007, 02:15 AM
He's "bowing his neck" in the men's room.

STRETCH!:cool:

oldcomiskey
05-11-2007, 09:38 AM
thats terrible---funny---but terrible
cinch it up and hunker down, huh?

eriqjaffe
05-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Do you people think those Nehru jackets iron themselves?

Medford Bobby
05-11-2007, 10:48 AM
:D: Recently spotted in the press areas men's room:

"Announcers and credentialed media members must wash hands before returning to work, and if you're Jay Mariotti....Good Lord, there is never enough water anyway..." :o:

CRAW
05-11-2007, 11:00 AM

Funniest post of the day! :bandance:

nlentz88
05-11-2007, 11:01 AM
I thought that when Hawk disappears from the broadcast that he's just taking a break, drinking a beer, and visiting with others in the media area.

Chicken Dinner
05-11-2007, 11:09 AM
I thought that when Hawk disappears from the broadcast that he's just taking a break, drinking a beer, and visiting with others in the media area.

Isn't beer banned in the broadcast booth yet? :o:

Hitmen77
05-11-2007, 11:51 AM

On Wednesday, they had DJ do the bottom of the 9th with Hawk only making a few comments in the background (he chimed in to say that Dye was fighting off the Metrodome lights to make a catch). I don't remember DJ taking over before for the final outs.

jenn2080
05-11-2007, 11:55 AM
At the bar?

soxinem1
05-11-2007, 12:01 PM
I think he quit smoking years ago, so that's probably not it.

I'll bet he goes to get some of those fabulous Bertucci ribs and chicken!

And on the road, he probably goes chatting with other people. Where do you think he gets some of those stories from when he says: "I remember talking to Bert Blylven once and he said----------------."

downstairs
05-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Where do you think he gets some of those stories from when he says: "I remember talking to Bert Blylven once and he said----------------."

I think he makes them up in his head, personally...

:cool:

upperdeckusc
05-11-2007, 12:20 PM
hes probably just taking a break from DJ. god knows i would

kevingrt
05-11-2007, 12:58 PM
He's playing golf.

Berkules
05-11-2007, 02:09 PM
he's studying bob uecker broadcasts

DickAllen72
05-11-2007, 06:03 PM
I don't know where he goes but I do wish he would go there more often.

LongLiveFisk
05-11-2007, 09:25 PM
:hawk
"I love the Bertucci Boys. I just wish them dadgum ribs agreed with me."

Grzegorz
05-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Maybe he's narcoleptic. :D:

Stoky44
05-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Hawk use to always do this before with Wimpy. He would take one inning off and let Wimpy do everything, it was either the 6,7, or 8, I can't recall.

Then when DJ came, DJ was so new to it and also pretty bad, in my opinion, Hawk (or white sox TV people) would not leave DJ to do anything solo. Remember how bad the booth was then? Anyway, as DJ has gotten better and/or more comfortable over the years, Hawk or the White Sox brass has allowed more freedom to DJ.

However, from what I recall Hawk and Wimpy had a power struggle towards the end of their days together. Hopefully this does not happen again as DJ starts to do more in the booth (or to some they may want this to happen). I am not stating my current satisfaction or discontent to the booth because I DO NOT want this thread to become a Hawk and DJ love/hate thread, or worse a bring back Wimpy thread (which I admit to contributing to in the past).

tick53
05-12-2007, 02:51 PM
GAS!!! He Gone....

Whitesox029
05-12-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't truly know if Hawk's there or not...When Singleton does radio play-by-play, Farmer returns to his old color form when Rooney was in the booth, constantly referencing Seinfeld episodes and other older TV shows.

On a sidenote to the sidenote, does anyone remember a game in 03 or 04 at the Metrodome when Hawk and DJ both missed an entire half inning? They probably forgot to turn their microphones back on or something.

ThomesHomie
05-13-2007, 03:17 AM
I know he goes down to the club house at times, specially when a player gets hurt ( when Mark took that one off the forearm )

Either way this is one of the best threads on here

Nellie_Fox
05-13-2007, 03:31 AM
Either way this is one of the best threads on here :nuts:

Frontman
05-13-2007, 09:25 AM
Hold up Hold up....I'm talking about those half innings when there is NO Hawk. Not a word from him and not a reference to him from DJ.

I like DJ more every year.

....but the question remains where does old one eye wander off too? Maybe it's not wild falcons, maybe he has to change his depends.

He's in the hallway with Ed Farmer, both complaining about their broadcast partners.

Hawk "Man, I like DJ, but I have to get away from him. When he's on PBP, I'm ready to fall asleep; and I'm AT the same game he's calling."

Farmer, "Hawk, did you hear what the kid said the other day? He called "Boone Logan" a "Bone Lugan."

Hawk, "That's great. Is the kid even aware of the Lithuanian community on the Southside?"

:D:

MySoxAreClean
05-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Talking to ed farmer on on joing him instead of Singleton on the Radio, PLease god please !