PDA

View Full Version : Ozzie: Sweeney might take Podsednik's spot

DickAllen72
05-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Sweeney strengthened his case to stay on the roster when Thome returns by extending his hitting streak to six games with an RBI single and a slide to beat Mike Redmond's tag to give the Sox a 3-0 lead in the fifth.

"He is making it easier if he keeps playing like that," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "Our thing is how many at-bats is he going to get? How much is he going to play?

"In the meanwhile, he's not taking Thome's spot, but he might take Podsednik's spot. We don't know."
http://http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070510soxgamer,1,659121.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines

SoxxoS
05-10-2007, 10:28 PM
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/S/ryan-sweeney.shtml

He doesnt have the minor league experience yet. He needs to shorten his swing and just see more pitches, IMO. He is 21 years old...let him keep hitting consistantly in AAA, keep lifting, and be ready to go in 2008.

gobears1987
05-10-2007, 10:37 PM
We still have no timetable on Podsednik's return so Sweeney we are looking at at least another month of Pods being on the DL.

I'm sure that one month will give us enough time to see if Sweeney is ready to stay with the big league squad. If he continues to produces, I say play him every day. He looks better than Anderson did at any point last year.

jabrch
05-10-2007, 10:51 PM
I still don't listen to anything Ozzie says without taking it as motivating tactics. I'm sure this is motivation to both Pods, to bust his ass to get back to game shape ASAP, as well as to Sweeney to know that if he keeps it up, he has a chance. End of the day, Guillen will put the player in whom he thinks has the best chance to help us win.

whitem0nkey
05-10-2007, 10:51 PM
its nice that we dont have to rush Podsednik back with Sweeney playing like he has.

Huisj
05-10-2007, 11:08 PM
The thing I don't understand in all of this is why Thome coming off the DL is an issue for Sweeney's roster spot. Just because he was brought up on the same day Thome went on the DL doesn't mean he should go down when he comes off.

Sweeney should be playing left field right now as long as he keeps hitting. Thome does not play left field. Mackowiak is not an everyday player--use him like the lefty bat utility guy he was brought here to be, but don't insist on him being a starter, especially if he's hitting below .200. Terrero has basically not played at all since the first few days he was brought up, so he won't exactly be missed if he's sent back down.

Is that not logical? What's so tricky? It only gets tricky when Podsednik comes back, but that could be a while.

California Sox
05-10-2007, 11:11 PM
It would be good to let Sweeney have a month of playing time while Pods is on the DL. I think it's pretty unlikely that either Dye or Pods will be back next year and Erstad's on a one year contract. Would be nice for the decision making in the off season to have some idea what you have in Sweeney.

GregO23
05-10-2007, 11:17 PM
GregO loves Sweeney. YES:smile:

Domeshot17
05-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Things to consider

Terrero is out of options, so with sending him down, you almost have to pray he is not claimed. I know he doesn't mean much to this team, but he has a fairly good upside as 5th OF.

Pods will play when he is here because he is the only speed we have. Ozuna is so hit or miss, and while he is faster then Pods, he doesnt have the base stealing technique down yet. Plus he isn't playing everyday. You gotta have someone who can steal a base up top. Especially if you want to play grinder ball. If Erstad is hitting 1 or 2, the other 1 or 2 HAS to be fast, real fast.

QCIASOXFAN
05-10-2007, 11:58 PM
GregO loves Sweeney. YES:smile:
Nice to see the Cedar Rapids IA boy making some noise in the bigs.:cool: If he stays consistent I agree with Ozzie. It gives Pods some extra time to get completely healed also.

Grzegorz
05-11-2007, 04:53 AM
Why not strengthen this team's defense and play Sweeney in right field?

Madvora
05-11-2007, 08:25 AM
I posted this in a BA thread on 4/30

Guess what... This conversation will die down and never return once Ryan Sweeney starts making a run at Podsednik's job.
Imagine how that's going to turn out at WSI if Sweeney is actually good?

From the looks of it, the BA talk hasn't gone away completely, but definitely died down. It seems like people were scared to see Sweeney succeed because they woudn't get to complain about Anderson anymore.
If Sweeney keeps performing I don't see why he can't stay up for the rest of the year. He has the ability to play all 3 outfield spots so I think rotating through while we rest either Pods, Erstad or Dye would get him plenty of at bats.

oldcomiskey
05-11-2007, 08:36 AM

because you lose Dye's bat and still havent solved the LF problem

SBSoxFan
05-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Things to consider

Terrero is out of options, so with sending him down, you almost have to pray he is not claimed. I know he doesn't mean much to this team, but he has a fairly good upside as 5th OF.

Pods will play when he is here because he is the only speed we have. Ozuna is so hit or miss, and while he is faster then Pods, he doesnt have the base stealing technique down yet. Plus he isn't playing everyday. You gotta have someone who can steal a base up top. Especially if you want to play grinder ball. If Erstad is hitting 1 or 2, the other 1 or 2 HAS to be fast, real fast.

But Erstad seems to be a better smarter base stealer than Pods.

soxfan13
05-11-2007, 10:30 AM

IMO Sweeney is not better defensively then Dye

Meixner007
05-11-2007, 10:50 AM

Sweeney is a very good outfielder. Dye, while once good and still serviceable, is not as good as Sweeney.

Hitmen77
05-11-2007, 11:07 AM
This article in today's Sun-Times talks about how Sweeney is making a strong run at staying when Thome is activated:
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/381576,CST-SPT-soxip11.article

If Ryan can keep playing the way he has, I think he'll fill in nicely as our starting LF until Pods returns. This would allow Mackowiak and Ozuna to do what they have historically been good at - be our bench players who occasionally get a start when a regular is rested.

upperdeckusc
05-11-2007, 11:23 AM

ehhh its close in my opinion. both have strong arms, but i think sweeney has a step or two on dye. still not enough to argue to put him in RF. hes doing fine in LF, and like everyone is saying, hopefully he can keep up his good play and make an argument to stay when pods comes back.

Flight #24
05-11-2007, 11:30 AM
I still don't listen to anything Ozzie says without taking it as motivating tactics. I'm sure this is motivation to both Pods, to bust his ass to get back to game shape ASAP, as well as to Sweeney to know that if he keeps it up, he has a chance. End of the day, Guillen will put the player in whom he thinks has the best chance to help us win.

Not a huge difference, but IMO this was just a statement that it's not Thome's return that necessitates a decision on Sweeney, it's Pods. I didn't take this as a "Sweeney may take Pods job" comment, more of a "Sweeney is currently in Pods slot, so Thome's return doesn't impact him". That said, when someone's in your spot, there's always a chance that they play well enough to keep it, so Pods should be motivated.

IMO this race is tight enough and it's critical enough to win on a daily basis that you send down whichever guy isn't going to give you the best chance to win NOW. Unfortunately, that's Terrero, but I'm not taking a short-term hit by playing him every day instead of Sweeney just because Ryan has options. You lose Terrero, you lost your 4th or 5th OF, which isn't that huge of a deal. In any case, I think you can use Ryan to ease Pods back in, giving him 3-4 starts/week once Scott's back (1-2 times for Pods, 1-2 for Erstad). In fact, you could probably use Erstad as a backup for Konerko and occasionally Thome and get Ryan into the lineup 4-5 times/week once Pods is fully healthy.

wassagstdu
05-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Its nice that we don't have to rush Podsednik back with Sweeney playing like he has.
Probably what Ozzie meant to say.

TheVulture
05-11-2007, 12:02 PM
You'd have to be mad to send Sweeney down. He's swinging the bat better than anyone on the team.