PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between Marte and ...............

beausox
03-27-2002, 07:15 PM
Onan Masaoka, who we realeased in spring training. Masaoka is also yougner than Marte is.

Ken Vining, also younger than Marte is, he will waste away in AAA again this year.

Any of the three Mike's in Oakland. The Atheltics must trade one of the following, Fryhie, Magantne, or Hotlz. All three are veterans, not unproven journeymen like Masaoka, and would not cost much to acquire.

Jesus Pena, who we traded away for nothing and has now had an awesome spring before being trade yet again.

The difference between Marte and all the guys mentioned is that Marte is the only one that would have cost us a future starter.

czalgosz
03-27-2002, 08:24 PM
Jesus Pena? Come on. The guy could only throw strikes if he took quite a bit off his fastball - a recipe for disaster if I ever saw one. Unless he's somehow learned how to throw strikes, I don't see how the Sox gave up anything to let him go. Anyway, Schueler was the one who traded away Pena, not KW.

The only rationale that I could see is that they saw something in Yan, and got Marte as the kicker. I can't see Marte as the main part of the deal.