PDA

View Full Version : Pronouncing Uribe's Name

BRDSR
05-10-2007, 05:59 PM
So for three years Juan Uribe patrolled shortstop for the Chicago White Sox and I have pronounced his name "yur-EE-bay." Then I heard Farmer call him "err-EE-bay." Then Singleton. Then DJ on today's broadcast. Did Uribe get all the broadcasters together and tell them to pronounce his name differently. Hearing "err-EE-bay" grates on my nerves every time.

sox1970
05-10-2007, 06:04 PM
So for three years Juan Uribe patrolled shortstop for the Chicago White Sox and I have pronounced his name "Yureebay." Then I heard Farmer call him "Erreebay." Then Singleton. Then DJ on today's broadcast. Did Uribe get all the broadcasters together and tell them to pronounce his name differently. Hearing "Erreebay" grates on my nerves every time.

I say You-ree-bay.

The one that gets me is the John Miller, ew-ree-bay. I don't care if it's correct spanish, I can't stand the way he pronounces names.

HawkDJ
05-10-2007, 06:08 PM
I say You-ree-bay.

The one that gets me is the John Miller, ew-ree-bay. I don't care if it's correct spanish, I can't stand the way he pronounces names.

But that is correct Spanish, and since Uribe is a native speaker, I'm assuming that is also the correct pronunciation of his name.

sox1970
05-10-2007, 06:26 PM
But that is correct Spanish, and since Uribe is a native speaker, I'm assuming that is also the correct pronunciation of his name.

...and I'll continue to hate it.

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-10-2007, 06:33 PM
I'm quite partial to Ya-reeb-ae

delben91
05-10-2007, 06:33 PM
...and I'll continue to hate it.

I shall call you "sox one hundred ninety seven zero" since I hate the way "sox nineteen seventy" sounds.

:wink:

JorgeFabregas
05-10-2007, 06:36 PM
The reason Oooribe sounds funny is that we're so used to hearing the local announcers mispronounce it. It's pronounced the same as the President of Colombia. A bunch of the latin players (and Jon Garland?) were jumping around him and chanting his name after game four of the world series. It was awesome.

sox1970
05-10-2007, 06:36 PM
I shall call you "sox one hundred ninety seven zero" since I hate the way "sox nineteen seventy" sounds.

:wink:

Sweet!

itsnotrequired
05-10-2007, 06:41 PM

According to the media guide, it is you-ree-bay

whitesoxruleguy
05-10-2007, 08:39 PM
It's pronuonced YU-RIBE-EE. I knew a guy with the same last name.

TornLabrum
05-10-2007, 08:49 PM
Ozzie, who is a native Spanish speaker pronounces it Oo-REE-bay.

INSox56
05-10-2007, 08:51 PM
But that is correct Spanish, and since Uribe is a native speaker, I'm assuming that is also the correct pronunciation of his name. Actually during player introductions, if he says his own name, it sounds like a mix of EWWWWRIBE and UURIBE. Say EWWWRIBE like Miller but with less crazy emphasis

Corlose 15
05-10-2007, 09:04 PM
So what is this, seven eight times now we've had this exact same thread? I can't wait until the Sox are on Sunday Night Baseball and someone starts this very thread to bitch about how John Miller pronounces his name.

I took 5 and a half years of Spanish. The letter U in the Spanish alphabet is pronounced "ooo". Its ooribay.

Interestingly enough instead of saying "double U" for W they say "Double V".

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a393/jrdeanel/nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

BoysMom3
05-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Well all I know for sure is that whenever he makes a great play, my husband and I shout at each other - your e-bay...no, it's YOUR e-bay!!! It's YOUR e-bay!!

chisoxfanatic
05-10-2007, 09:59 PM
You're all wrong here!!!

It's "Ur-eye-b" :D:

SoxShirt
05-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Wow. Weird. I was thinking about starting a thread about this awhile ago. I've also noticed that everyone has changed the way they say his name. It's weird how they all did it at the same time. I'm trying to call him URR-EE-BAY but it's hard since I'm used to YER-EE-BAY.

gobears1987
05-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Of all the people who cover Sox games, Miller is the only person who gets it correct. Even our own announces **** up the pronunciation.

russ99
05-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Ozzie, who is a native Spanish speaker pronounces it Oo-REE-bay.

From the man who insisted in being called "gie-SZHEN" for a season. :tongue:

HawkDJ
05-10-2007, 10:36 PM
Actually during player introductions, if he says his own name, it sounds like a mix of EWWWWRIBE and UURIBE. Say EWWWRIBE like Miller but with less crazy emphasis

Sorry, I thought those were the same. Oooribay is what I meant. Also, pretty much any American butchers the pronunciation of Guillen.

BeefyD
05-10-2007, 10:44 PM
I always thought the "U" was silent, and he was our mascot back in the 80's..."RIB-EE"

TheOldRoman
05-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Actually during player introductions, if he says his own name, it sounds like a mix of EWWWWRIBE and UURIBE. Say EWWWRIBE like Miller but with less crazy emphasis
John Miller is horrible because he goes out of his way to be pretentious and pronounce the first syllable, while messing up the last part.
He says EWW-reebay (with a strong emphasis on eww, a slight pause, and reebay pronounced quickly and lazily). His pronunciation is nothing like Ozzie's.

It is actually "Uwwer-eebay". The first syllable includes the "rr" sound, and is "eww-er", rather than "er" or "or". The second and third syllables are "eebay" instead of "reebay". Besides messing up the first sound, Miller mispronounces it rhythmically. It rolls off the tongue and is fluid, unlike what Miller says.

That being said, it is understood that it doesn't have to be pronounced perfectly. English speakers are not used making some of the sounds other languages do, and that is fine. You certainly wouldn't offend Juan if you called him "yer-eebay". But if you are going to be pretentious and correct people's pronunciation, make sure you say it correctly yourself. Miller, Farmer, and Singleton do not.

TheOldRoman
05-10-2007, 11:09 PM
Of all the people who cover Sox games, Miller is the only person who gets it correct. Even our own announces **** up the pronunciation.No, he doesn't. See above. URR-eebay is wrong. EWW-reebay is wrong, too. Wrong is wrong.

Jerksticks
05-10-2007, 11:13 PM
My old man pronounces it

Yer ee bee. like bb gun.

I disliked it for a long time, but now, I still really dislike it.

Huisj
05-10-2007, 11:15 PM
The second syllable is "eebay" instead of "reebay".

So that's all one syllable? Sheesh, Spanish is harder than I remember if being in high school. :(:

CLR01
05-10-2007, 11:20 PM
I just call him Juan. :gulp:

TheOldRoman
05-10-2007, 11:24 PM
So that's all one syllable? Sheesh, Spanish is harder than I remember if being in high school. :(::redface: second and third.

HotelWhiteSox
05-10-2007, 11:30 PM
ESPN.com has "ohh-REE-bay"

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4657

SoxandtheCityTee
05-11-2007, 12:31 AM
A person's name is an exception to the rule, or rather follows a different pronuciation rule: they are pronounced the way the person wants them pronounced, whether or not that comports with standard pronuciation rules for whatever language.

Plus, they can change the way their name is said in mid-life (Tony Dorsett).

Favre says "Farve." Moet (the fellow who made champagne) said Moe-ette and not Moe-ay -- though he was French, his family was of Dutch origin. I grew up around a ton of Polish Amercans who could either change the way their names were pronounced or change the spelling so that the pronunciation would be correct. They made their choices and that was that.

So what does Juan call himself? Might be differnt at home and here.

Corlose 15
05-11-2007, 01:11 AM

Which would also be the correct pronunciation. That however is more of a result of the south american dialect.

Also if we want to get really picky, in Vazquez you pronounce the V like a B, the E like an A and the Z like an S. Bahs-case

wassagstdu
05-11-2007, 06:50 AM
I called Ozzie "gie-ZHEN" for years when he first came to the Sox, but I finally gave it up because everyone else said "GIY-yen." Of course, I never actually talked TO Ozzie, only ABOUT him. If I had talked to him I would certainly have tried to pronounce his name as he pronounces it, but since I was talking to others who knew him by another pronunciation, my insisting on being authentic became pedantic.

But how about that Dice-K?

And when writing Iguchi's name on a scorecard, should it be in Japanese characters?

itsnotrequired
05-11-2007, 07:06 AM
A person's name is an exception to the rule, or rather follows a different pronuciation rule: they are pronounced the way the person wants them pronounced, whether or not that comports with standard pronuciation rules for whatever language.

Favre says "Farve." Moet (the fellow who made champagne) said Moe-ette and not Moe-ay -- though he was French, his family was of Dutch origin. I grew up around a ton of Polish Amercans who could either change the way their names were pronounced or change the spelling so that the pronunciation would be correct. They made their choices and that was that.

What she said. In "classic" Spanish, it would be pronounced with an "ooo" sound. Gene Honda pronounces it with a "you" sound, the media guide has it with a "you" sound, etc. I can't understand what the hell Uribe is saying when he announces his own name at the start of games.

Let's all bury the hatchet and call him Dwayne.

whitesoxfan1986
05-11-2007, 07:13 AM
I called Ozzie "gie-ZHEN" for years when he first came to the Sox, but I finally gave it up because everyone else said "GIY-yen." Of course, I never actually talked TO Ozzie, only ABOUT him. If I had talked to him I would certainly have tried to pronounce his name as he pronounces it, but since I was talking to others who knew him by another pronunciation, my insisting on being authentic became pedantic.
Speaking of Ozzie's last name, In South America, I think the spanish speaking countries pronounce their double Ls as "Z". In Central American Spanish and in Spain the double Ls are pronouced as "Y". I know this as a fact in Argentina, because my Spanish teacher last year was from there, and told my class it was the case. I'm not sure about Venezuela though.

Zisk77
05-11-2007, 08:21 AM
I just call him Juan. :gulp:

Is That "wan" or "Won" or Waahhhn" ? :redneck

Huisj
05-11-2007, 08:45 AM
What she said. In "classic" Spanish, it would be pronounced with an "ooo" sound. Gene Honda pronounces it with a "you" sound, the media guide has it with a "you" sound, etc. I can't understand what the hell Uribe is saying when he announces his own name at the start of games.

Let's all bury the hatchet and call him Dwayne.

Dwayne or Dwyane?

Kilroy
05-11-2007, 08:54 AM
Around my house its Juan Da-ree-bay. That's what my 4-year-old called him when he first got to the Sox and he's been Da-ree-bay ever since.

Procol Harum
05-11-2007, 09:25 AM
:uribe:

"You can call me anything but late for supper..."

Actually, I've always favored the two-syllable pronunciation "You-REIB" :?:

Scottiehaswheels
05-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Like Tom Singer I'm just gonna call him Jose

WikdChiSoxFan
05-11-2007, 10:23 AM
be PC and call him Hit a Big Juan

INSox56
05-11-2007, 03:31 PM

Funny, my mom's half of the family's last name is Orlowski. Half the family pronounces is Or-luh-ski, half say orl-ow-ski. The first pronunciation is more correct as it would sound in Poland (Or-Luv-ski).

downstairs
05-11-2007, 04:24 PM
ooh-RIB-ee?

As in ooh-RIB-ee and Rhubarb?

:cool:

downstairs
05-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Funny, my mom's half of the family's last name is Orlowski. Half the family pronounces is Or-luh-ski, half say orl-ow-ski. The first pronunciation is more correct as it would sound in Poland (Or-Luv-ski).

Same here. Falvey.

My dad says fall-v, mom says fal-vee.

I've never chosen, I say both... just to mix it up, I suppose...

FarWestChicago
05-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Favre says "Farve." And that is why he is an idiot. It's Fav-Ray, period. :cool: