PDA

View Full Version : could JD be on the way out? (Warning this is just my opinion, I don't have proof)

JermaineDye05
05-10-2007, 03:53 PM
With his recent struggles and Sweeney showing he can handle the bat so far, JD's future with the WS seems more and more less likely.

If JD leaves would you be comfortable as having Sweeney replacing him for a whole season?

I would personally rather see Pods go and put Sweeney in either left or right.

JohnTucker0814
05-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Would I be comfortable? I don't know. I like JD, he is a good guy, good ball player. I'd like them to keep JD, Sweeney to LF or CF. Heck, if Sweeney can play a good CF, keep Pods in LF and Dye in RF. It's too early to talk about next year, but I like Sweeney in the #2 hole... even now instead of Ozuna!

The Immigrant
05-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Jermaine is looking for a big payday on the FA market. I hope he gets it from someone else - I'd rather spend the money on Buehrle and take my chances with Sweeney in RF.

sox1970
05-10-2007, 04:00 PM
I want Dye to stay, but I also understand the economice of baseball. But not only the economics, they have to be careful about getting old and slower than they already are.

I'd rather they put their money in Ichiro. I wouldn't mind seeing an outfield of Sweeney, Ichiro, and maybe Aaron Cunningham in a few years.

FedEx227
05-10-2007, 04:01 PM
I'd personally rather see Pods go and Sweeney go to LF. But from a business standpoint I understand Dye will probably be the first to go, and I feel somewhat comfortable with Sweeney out there, but Dye is a damn-good player who's going through some struggles right now, I think our lineup will definitely be in good shape if we had both Sweeney and Dye out there.

Flight #24
05-10-2007, 04:04 PM
Yikes. An OF of Ichiro-Sweeney-???? I like Ichiro and Sweeney, but Mr ???? better have a solid power bat. That's why I hope they resign JD, and I don't think he'll be trying to break the bank, not based on his performance in 2005 or 2007 to date.

IMO he'll be solid this year but not MVP-esque, and his price will be much more reasonable, which will enable the Sox to keep him. Buehrle, I'm not so sure. I think he'll need a 5yr $75 minimum, and I'm just not sure the Sox will do that regardless of whether they resign Dye or not. Not if Danks continues to look great and Gio pretty good in AA. IMO they'll roll the dice and see about slotting in Gio/Floyd/Broadway or shifting Sisco/Masset to the pen.

My preference would be to resign Burls, deal Jose for some sort of prospect (similar deal to Freddy, but for less return obviously), and slot in a youngster.

The Immigrant
05-10-2007, 04:08 PM
My preference would be to resign Burls, deal Jose for some sort of prospect (similar deal to Freddy, but for less return obviously), and slot in a youngster.

Why less return? Jose is signed through 2009 for reasonable $$ and is light years ahead of Garcia in terms of performance this year.

Madvora
05-10-2007, 04:08 PM
If Dye only puts in a half season of production this year, then he's gone for sure. For him to stay around he needs to start hitting immediately.
I have a lot of love for guys who have performed well in the past, but when they start to suck, then you can have em. I know Dye started out like this in 2005 too, but we really can't afford to have a guy were counting on performing like this.

sox1970
05-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Yikes. An OF of Ichiro-Sweeney-???? I like Ichiro and Sweeney, but Mr ???? better have a solid power bat. That's why I hope they resign JD, and I don't think he'll be trying to break the bank, not based on his performance in 2005 or 2007 to date.

IMO he'll be solid this year but not MVP-esque, and his price will be much more reasonable, which will enable the Sox to keep him. Buehrle, I'm not so sure. I think he'll need a 5yr $75 minimum, and I'm just not sure the Sox will do that regardless of whether they resign Dye or not. Not if Danks continues to look great and Gio pretty good in AA. IMO they'll roll the dice and see about slotting in Gio/Floyd/Broadway or shifting Sisco/Masset to the pen.

I hear you about the power issues if Dye goes. Personally, I think Crede is gone after 2008. Josh Fields could be the guy to take the power slot from Dye. Plus I could see Sweeney's power stroke coming with time. I mean, he's big and 22. He could come around to be a 35 double/20 homer guy.

twsoxfan5
05-10-2007, 04:23 PM
I think he'll need a 5yr $75 minimum,

I think that is too much for Dye. Not the per year as much as the amount of years. He is too old to sign on for 5 years IMO and that is why I think he be leaving us after the year.

The Immigrant
05-10-2007, 04:24 PM
I think he'll need a 5yr $75 minimum.

:o:

At that price I'd like to think of it as the White Sox "leaving" Mr. Dye rather than the other way around. No thanks.

downstairs
05-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Yikes. An OF of Ichiro-Sweeney-????

When did we get Ichiro???

roadrunner
05-10-2007, 04:29 PM
I have no interest in losing JD this season or next. If Sweeney makes the lineup permanently, which i hope he does, he should be in left. We're already lucky that Erstad seems to be able to play everyday.

On a related note:

If we get stuck with a hole (or additional holes) in the outfield one of the reasons will be because Chris B. Young was traded away in the Vazquez trade. (i don't mean to cast a judgment on the trade - just pointing it out)

comet2k
05-10-2007, 04:34 PM
The Sox may not keep Dye next year (isn't his contract up at the end of '07?), but if they keep Sweeney wouldn't Mackowiak be more likely to go? Mack's hitting about .190, and Sweeney has a stronger arm and is probably a better fielder.

MetroPD
05-10-2007, 04:35 PM
Where does the numbers of what Dye is wanting come from? I would like to see how valid the claims are. I doubt Dye is that dumb to request such a pay day for that long of a deal at his age. As for Dye's numbers, yeah its been a tough year so far, but look at what he's done for the past two for us.

PicktoCLick72
05-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I think he'll need a 5yr $75 minimum

I think Mark might want a little over a hundred dollars to stay with us.

jsg-07
05-10-2007, 04:37 PM
Does anyone know how long (cannot remember off the top of my head) we have Thome locked up for?? I would not mind keeping JD around to potentially be a DH after the Thome era.

sox1970
05-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Does anyone know how long (cannot remember off the top of my head) we have Thome locked up for?? I would not mind keeping JD around to potentially be a DH after the Thome era.

2008, with a team option for 2009 (option is $13 million or $3 million buyout).

jsg-07
05-10-2007, 04:39 PM
2008, with an option for 2009.

Then while I understand a lot has to work out for this to happen (i personally would hate to see anything that gets rid of MB) why not keep JD around to let Sweeney come into his own a little more and then let Dye be the DH?

sox1970
05-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Then while I understand a lot has to work out for this to happen (i personally would hate to see anything that gets rid of MB) why not keep JD around to let Sweeney come into his own a little more and then let Dye be the DH?

Sounds good to me.

hawkjt
05-10-2007, 04:49 PM
JD looks amazingly robotic and creaky at bat and in the field right now.
It is like he cannot bend over enough to get to low strikes.. I like his chances to rebound but he must need 90 degree weather to oil the joints.

if he never comes around this year the decision will be easy.. but hopefully he gets hot and leads the sox to the playoffs and then it becomes a good but tough decision.

Chicken Dinner
05-10-2007, 05:21 PM
What is a 33 year old right fielder batting .208 worth? :?:

lostfan
05-10-2007, 05:25 PM
:o:

At that price I'd like to think of it as the White Sox "leaving" Mr. Dye rather than the other way around. No thanks.
He was talking about Buehrle, not Dye, if I read that correctly...

nodiggity59
05-10-2007, 05:34 PM
I have no interest in losing JD this season or next. If Sweeney makes the lineup permanently, which i hope he does, he should be in left. We're already lucky that Erstad seems to be able to play everyday.

On a related note:

If we get stuck with a hole (or additional holes) in the outfield one of the reasons will be because Chris B. Young was traded away in the Vazquez trade. (i don't mean to cast a judgment on the trade - just pointing it out)

Chris B. Young is a hole at this point in his career. Also, imagine the rotation next year w/out Vazquez, especially if we lose Buehrle :o:

WhiteSox5187
05-10-2007, 06:01 PM
If the choice comes between losing Dye or Buerhle I lose Dye in a heartbeat simply because good pitching is hard to come by. Dye is looking old in the field these days and right now is obviously not hitting. While Sweeney looks plenty good out there now in left, I don't think you can count on Pods having a great '08 and Erstad is awfully old too. But out of our four upcoming free agents (Crede, Dye, Buerhle, and Iguchi) Dye and Crede I think are ultimately the most replaceable because we have guys in the minors ready to take their place.

jabrch
05-10-2007, 06:02 PM

Chris Young is no better hitter at this point in his career than BA. Chris Young's minor league career was less productive than Brian Anderson's. I still don't know what everyone sees in Young to draw the conclusions that they have. He's a low average hitter who may eventually have ok power and good speed. He's no better than what we have in Sweeny and BA, and he may be no better than Owens at the end of the day.

In his minor league career, Young went .267/.358/.501. That projects poorly at a big league level. Guys who don't get hits, but who walk a lot tend to not be able to deliver similar performance at the next level where pitching is infinitely better. Young is far from being a productive everyday player. At this point, he's hitting .233/.278/.406. If he were in the lineup, he'd be a hole in the lineup also.

Jjav829
05-10-2007, 06:04 PM
What is a 33 year old right fielder batting .208 worth? :?:

I don't know, but he sure as hell isn't worth the 5 year- $75 million figure thrown out earlier in this thread.

Just like JD wasn't unrealistic to think JD would hit .315 with 40+ homers and an OPS over 1.000 again, it's pretty unrealistic to think he's going to hit .208 all season long. In the end, he'll fall somewhere in between near his career averages and he'll probably be looking for something in the 4-year, $44 million range.

I don't think Sweeney is going to necessarily force JD out, but it does make the decision easier if the Sox are uncomfortable meeting JD's demands.

Also, you have to remember that this years free agent crop of outfielders is going to be pretty good. The following outfielders will be free agents:

Ichiro
Andruw Jones
Bobby Abreu
Jermaine Dye
Eric Byrnes
Aaron Rowand
Mike Cameron
Corey Patterson
Torii Hunter
Adam Dunn
Milton Bradley
Brad Wilkerson

Plus a couple other serviceable outfielders.

So JD doesn't have a ton of leverage. If he demands $15 million a year (highly unlikely), the Sox could always go after a guy like Eric Byrnes, who figures to ask for much less, or even everyone's favorite former Sox centerfielder...

Mike Cameron. :smile:

Oh, and that Rowand guy is a free agent, too.

sox1970
05-10-2007, 06:07 PM
So JD doesn't have a ton of leverage. If he demands $15 million a year (highly unlikely), the Sox could always go after a guy like Eric Byrnes, who figures to ask for much less.

If the Sox ever get Eric Byrnes, I may have to become a Brewers fan until he's gone. He's a puke.

lumpyspun
05-10-2007, 06:09 PM
With his recent struggles and Sweeney showing he can handle the bat so far, JD's future with the WS seems more and more less likely.

If JD leaves would you be comfortable as having Sweeney replacing him for a whole season?

The real questions is:
Would you change your username to "RyanSweeney08?" :smile:

whitesoxruleguy
05-10-2007, 08:42 PM

This guy is obviously a fake. Jermain Dye would never leave the White sox he was pretty much robbed of the MVP last year. Unless they are going to trade him for Albert Pujols than forget about it!!!!!! I think maybe the white sox should consider leetting you go, off of their already crowded bandwagon.

Tragg
05-10-2007, 08:50 PM
When Dye leaves, presumably after this season, we really need a grade A hitter to replace him. Byrnes, Rowand, Wilkerson - that level of hitter won't cut it.
We also need a CF and I'm presuming Sweeney can handle left.
And a lead-off hitter, if not via the RF or CF.

Grzegorz
05-10-2007, 09:22 PM
When Dye leaves, presumably after this season, we really need a grade A hitter to replace him. Byrnes, Rowand, Wilkerson - that level of hitter won't cut it.
We also need a CF and I'm presuming Sweeney can handle left.
And a lead-off hitter, if not via the RF or CF.

Sweeney is your right fielder of the future...

oldcomiskey
05-11-2007, 08:39 AM
I want Dye to stay, but I also understand the economice of baseball. But not only the economics, they have to be careful about getting old and slower than they already are.

I'd rather they put their money in Ichiro. I wouldn't mind seeing an outfield of Sweeney, Ichiro, and maybe Aaron Cunningham in a few years.

or Torii Hunter

palehozenychicty
05-11-2007, 09:11 AM
or Torii Hunter

Nope.

wassagstdu
05-11-2007, 11:44 AM
Erstad, Ichiro, and Sweeney! I would love to watch that team. What's wrong with getting your power from the infield and table-setters in the outfield?

soxtalker
05-11-2007, 12:03 PM

I doubt that JD's recent struggles have much influence on whether he stays or goes. If they continue, I suppose that there's a chance that it will lower his apparent value to outside teams. But if his play turns around soon to approach that of the past two years, he's probably going to command a contract from another team with higher pay and more years than the Sox would be willing to pay. It's probably mostly about getting younger. Sweeney and BA are options that they'd probably like to see work out.

Cuck_The_Fubs
05-11-2007, 01:00 PM
I'll give JD until the end of May. If he's still struggling offensively/ defensively, drop him like a sack of potatoes.

If JD is batting around .300 by the end of May, INVEST!

Tragg
05-11-2007, 09:02 PM
Chris Young is no better hitter at this point in his career than BA. Chris Young's minor league career was less productive than Brian Anderson's. I still don't know what everyone sees in Young to draw the conclusions that they have. He's a low average hitter who may eventually have ok power and good speed. He's no better than what we have in Sweeny and BA, and he may be no better than Owens at the end of the day.

In his minor league career, Young went .267/.358/.501. That projects poorly at a big league level. Guys who don't get hits, but who walk a lot tend to not be able to deliver similar performance at the next level where pitching is infinitely better. Young is far from being a productive everyday player. At this point, he's hitting .233/.278/.406. If he were in the lineup, he'd be a hole in the lineup also.

Chris YOung just hit 2 home runs this evening, including 1 to center in the concourse above the .404 sign. He even has a higher OPS and nearly twice the number of extra base hits as Ozzie's new leadoff hitter - the great Erstad.

roadrunner
05-30-2007, 12:14 PM

Chris Young: .277/.315/.471, 6 HR 20 RBI, 6 SB, 23 R
White Sox LFs: .248/286/333, 4 HR 24 RBI (no data on SB or R)
CFs: 242/286/333, 4 HR 24 RBI
RFs: 253/320/484, 10 HR 28 RBI

JD leads the Sox with 23 runs scored, erstad with 7 steals

balke
05-30-2007, 12:33 PM
Sweeney: .200 1HR 5RBI 5Runs

The outfielder of the future? Sox should try their best to hold on to Dye.

jabrch
05-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Chris Young: .277/.315/.471, 6 HR 20 RBI, 6 SB, 23 R
White Sox LFs: .248/286/333, 4 HR 24 RBI (no data on SB or R)
CFs: 242/286/333, 4 HR 24 RBI
RFs: 253/320/484, 10 HR 28 RBI

JD leads the Sox with 23 runs scored, erstad with 7 steals

Whoopdeedoo.

Go back to my post - comparing Young to guys replacing our injured LF who was hitting very well does nothing to bolster the arguement that we shouldn't have traded him for Javy, or that he's a mediocre player.

Are you telling me he's better than Mack? Fine - congats - you are right.

Chris Young has not hit for average on any level in his career since rookie ball. That doesn't bode well for his future. He's loved by guys who are fans of not swinging. But if getting hits is important (and it is against good pitchers) Chris Young has not proven yet that he will be any good, surely not that wasn't worth giving up for a good veteran starter when we had 4 other OF prospects in the system and Danny Wright as our projected 5th starter.

roadrunner
05-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Whoopdeedoo.

Go back to my post - comparing Young to guys replacing our injured LF who was hitting very well does nothing to bolster the arguement that we shouldn't have traded him for Javy, or that he's a mediocre player.

Chris Young has not hit for average on any level in his career since rookie ball. That doesn't bode well for his future. He's loved by guys who are fans of not swinging. But if getting hits is important (and it is against good pitchers) Chris Young has not proven yet that he will be any good, surely not that wasn't worth giving up for a good veteran starter when we had 4 other OF prospects in the system and Danny Wright as our projected 5th starter.

Vazquez 2006: 11-12, 202 IP, 4.84 ERA, $12 mil (3mil paid by yanks)
2007: 2-3, 58 IP, 4.50 ERA $12.5 mil (3 mil paid by yanks)
for
Duque 2006: 11-11, 162 IP, 4.66 ERA, $4.6 mil
2007: 2-1, 38 IP, 2.13 ERA, $4.5 mil
Vizcaino 2006: 4-6, 65 IP, 3.58 ERA, $1.775 mil
2007: 2-1, 26 IP, 7.27 ERA, $3 mil
AND
Chris Young

This is looking like an absolutely piss poor trade. I also give Duque and Vizcaino extra credit for having 05 luster. By the way, those 20 RBI Young has this year are from the leadoff spot. Guys that don't swing usually don't do that. Besides, as a leadoff man shouldn't his patience at the plate only add to his value?

This love for busty Javier Vazquez has been a disaster so far.

jabrch
05-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Vazquez 2006: 11-12, 202 IP, 4.84 ERA, $12 mil (3mil paid by yanks)
2007: 2-3, 58 IP, 4.50 ERA $12.5 mil (3 mil paid by yanks)
for
Duque 2006: 11-11, 162 IP, 4.66 ERA, $4.6 mil
2007: 2-1, 38 IP, 2.13 ERA, $4.5 mil
Vizcaino 2006: 4-6, 65 IP, 3.58 ERA, $1.775 mil
2007: 2-1, 26 IP, 7.27 ERA, $3 mil
AND
Chris Young

This is looking like an absolutely piss poor trade. I also give Duque and Vizcaino extra credit for having 05 luster. By the way, those 20 RBI Young has this year are from the leadoff spot. Guys that don't swing usually don't do that. Besides, as a leadoff man shouldn't his patience at the plate only add to his value?

This love for busty Javier Vazquez has been a disaster so far.

You must be kidding? I wouldn't take Vizcaino back if given him for free. Duque has been injured twice since we traded him - and has shown no signs that this won't continue. Young has not hit for average in the minors, and showing no ability to do so in the majors. Don't confuse his lack of ability to hit the ball for "patience". He is a poor hitter if you measure hitting by the ability to get hits. Top tier major league pitchers adjust to that fairly well. Unless Young learns to HIT, he won't ever succeed as a hitter regardless of where in the lineup he is asked to not swing.

roadrunner
05-30-2007, 01:38 PM
You must be kidding? I wouldn't take Vizcaino back if given him for free. Duque has been injured twice since we traded him - and has shown no signs that this won't continue. Young has not hit for average in the minors, and showing no ability to do so in the majors. Don't confuse his lack of ability to hit the ball for "patience". He is a poor hitter if you measure hitting by the ability to get hits. Top tier major league pitchers adjust to that fairly well. Unless Young learns to HIT, he won't ever succeed as a hitter regardless of where in the lineup he is asked to not swing.

Forgive me if I accept Young's production so far this year as better evidence of his ability to hit than you saying he can't hit.

Also, what part of Vazquez's performance makes you think that he is worth what we gave up for him and what he is getting paid? He's been just below league average ERA every year since 2003.

BeviBall!
05-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Unless Dye breaks his hip and the Sox can sign him to an incentive-laden contract that is way less than he's worth... you'll be seeing our favorite WS MVP elsewhere next year.

alohafri
05-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Unless Dye breaks his hip and the Sox can sign him to an incentive-laden contract that is way less than he's worth... you'll be seeing our favorite WS MVP elsewhere next year.

Unless this team starts to win, you could be seeing the entire Birmingham team at the Cell. I just don't see this team going on a 14-1 run.

Bill Naharodny
05-30-2007, 02:22 PM
Whoopdeedoo.

Our projected 5th starter was Brandon McCarthy, not Danny Wright.

ZombieRob
05-30-2007, 08:56 PM
I think your going to see a completely revamped Sox team in 08' signing Crede unlikely Buerhle unlikely Dye Gooch is most likely gone as well .Guy I'd personally like K.W to look into is the type of player the Sox need is Dan Uggla .To me he's definitely what the Sox need on this team.

NSSoxFan
05-30-2007, 09:12 PM
The Sox have 1.5 months, 2 at the most to turn it around and make KW a buyer instead of a seller. If things are as is in two months, then yes, you have to unload the players you know will not be re-signed. This isn't rocket science.

SoxxoS
05-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Sweeney can handle the bat?

Huisj
05-30-2007, 10:05 PM
I think your going to see a completely revamped Sox team in 08' signing Crede unlikely Buerhle unlikely Dye Gooch is most likely gone as well .Guy I'd personally like K.W to look into is the type of player the Sox need is Dan Uggla .To me he's definitely what the Sox need on this team.

I don't quite get what you're saying here. I can't tell who you are saying is gone or staying because you don't use any punctuation. Is it that they sign Crede and let Buehrle, Dye, and Iguchi go?

Also, why would Florida give up Dan Uggla. It's only his second year in the league. And why would he definitely be what the Sox need? He's a pretty good player I suppose, but not really a drastic difference maker in a lineup.

ZombieRob
05-30-2007, 10:24 PM
I don't quite get what you're saying here. I can't tell who you are saying is gone or staying because you don't use any punctuation. Is it that they sign Crede and let Buehrle, Dye, and Iguchi go?

Also, why would Florida give up Dan Uggla. It's only his second year in the league. And why would he definitely be what the Sox need? He's a pretty good player I suppose, but not really a drastic difference maker in a lineup.
I don't believe any of the players i mentioned will be on this team next year.Crede,Dye and Buerhle are going to demand high contracts.Gooch is getting to the tail end of his career.I think we are going to see a very young and diffrent type of team next year.

Tragg
05-30-2007, 10:27 PM

That's a lot of players. A starting pitcher, 2nd baseman, right fielder. IN addition, right now we have no major league left fielder and we sure could use an upgrade in center (not trying to start anything as he is doing well, when looked at relative to the rest of this team) and we absolutely positively need a leadoff hitter (which could come from when filling one of the aformentioned positional voids). In addition, we have Uribe to deal with. So the only positions NOT in play are catcher, first and perhaps 3rd. That's a boatload of turnover. To fill these positions we have a bench that consists of utility players, which comes in handy if you have good starters....but cintron, rob m aren't starting major league players and they can't fill the positions long term.

kitekrazy
05-30-2007, 10:43 PM
I don't believe any of the players i mentioned will be on this team next year.Crede,Dye and Buerhle are going to demand high contracts.Gooch is getting to the tail end of his career.I think we are going to see a very young and diffrent type of team next year.

All baseball contracts are high especially for mediocre pitchers. The Sox proved that with Vasquez. I hope they sign Mark B.

ZombieRob
05-30-2007, 10:47 PM
All baseball contracts are high especially for mediocre pitchers. The Sox proved that with Vasquez. I hope they sign Mark B.
I do to.As i really think he's the true leader and Ace of the staff .

ZombieRob
05-30-2007, 10:53 PM
That's a lot of players. A starting pitcher, 2nd baseman, right fielder. IN addition, right now we have no major league left fielder and we sure could use an upgrade in center (not trying to start anything as he is doing well, when looked at relative to the rest of this team) and we absolutely positively need a leadoff hitter (which could come from when filling one of the aformentioned positional voids). In addition, we have Uribe to deal with. So the only positions NOT in play are catcher, first and perhaps 3rd. That's a boatload of turnover. To fill these positions we have a bench that consists of utility players, which comes in handy if you have good starters....but cintron, rob m aren't starting major league players and they can't fill the positions long term.
Well i see Dye's declining in the field,And if you were G.M would you reallyt consider him the future?Credes' back is sooner or later going to give out .Buerhle,it's really hard to say how he truly feels about comming back.You know that he'll want near Zito money ,and he'll probably get it with the years included.

kitekrazy
05-30-2007, 10:53 PM
I do to.As i really think he's the true leader and Ace of the staff .

Many assume he will be gone. So I interpret that as Reinsdorf being a cheapskate. So he can play the game of paying out for pitching or petition to have a salary cap.
Sure spending doesn't buy a World Series but Pirate fans are probably tired of their team being a big league farm system.

ZombieRob
05-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Many assume he will be gone. So I interpret that as Reinsdorf being a cheapskate. So he can play the game of paying out for pitching or petition to have a salary cap.
Sure spending doesn't buy a World Series but Pirate fans are probably tired of their team being a big league farm system.
Well he beats his chest on the fact that Alex Fernandez and Wilson Alvarez proved him right when they were traded and broke down soon after.I wonder how many pitchers had success that were signed to long term contracts? I imagine pretty decent.

roadrunner
05-30-2007, 11:23 PM
If things don't turn around in the next couple of weeks I would like to see some combination (or maybe all) of the aforementioned players for ARod and Melky Cabrera.

russ99
05-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Well i see Dye's declining in the field,And if you were G.M would you reallyt consider him the future?Credes' back is sooner or later going to give out .Buerhle,it's really hard to say how he truly feels about comming back.You know that he'll want near Zito money ,and he'll probably get it with the years included.

I could see Dye being the first potential FA shipped out, since Buehrle can't readily be replaced from the organization without significantly weakening the team, and we have Crede for another year before needing a decision on him.

Dye's still signed extra cheap for the rest of this year and could likely break out with a change of scenery. If the Sox have no plans to re-sign him, they should get something in return. I love the guy, but baseball's a business and the Sox could get a few decent major-leaguers to shore up the roster.

Since both the Sox and Houston are both really sagging right now, how about Dye for Dan Wheeler and either Jason Lane and a good hitting prospect or maybe a package deal for Berkman?? Purely speculation on my part, but both teams could benefit.