PDA

View Full Version : Oakland A's offically leaving Oakland

downstairs
05-10-2007, 03:37 PM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/05/10/BAGK5POMQO4.DTL

Building nearly a $2 Billion development including a stadium.

MUsoxfan
05-10-2007, 03:39 PM
I thought that was pretty old news. But now that it's official....it's officially nice that they won't be playing in that ****hole anymore

twentywontowin
05-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Good for them, but 32,000 seats is a very small stadium.

jenn2080
05-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Good for them, but 32,000 seats is a very small stadium.

They do not get to many people out to their games do they? From what I have seen on tv it always looks kind of empty.

eriqjaffe
05-10-2007, 04:11 PM
Good for them, but 32,000 seats is a very small stadium.Billy Beane spends their money so wisely, they don't need the increased revenue from bigger crowds!

They haven't averaged 30,000 at home since 1992, by the way.

Chicken Dinner
05-10-2007, 04:45 PM
They didn't even open the upper deck last year for the playoffs.

ma-gaga
05-10-2007, 05:05 PM
I know this is an "official" announcement, but the way that I read it, it sounds like they are only thinking about buying a bunch of land. ... There's still a long way to go before this is done.

This sounds like an extortion play against the City of Oakland more than anything else.

:cool:

MisterB
05-10-2007, 06:46 PM
I know this is an "official" announcement, but the way that I read it, it sounds like they are only thinking about buying a bunch of land. ... There's still a long way to go before this is done.

This sounds like an extortion play against the City of Oakland more than anything else.

:cool:

It's a little more concrete than that. This deal is Wolff & Co. officially agreeing to buy the land for the development. The next step is the formal submission to the city of Fremont of the development plan, after which the city will do it's due diligence and have environmental impact studies, etc. done before accepting or rejecting the plan.

The city of Oakland has tried to work with the A's for several years to come up with a ballpark site, but there isn't the financial wherewithal to get anything done, and no politician willing or connected enough to champion the cause like Jim Thompson did to get the Sox a new ballpark.