PDA

View Full Version : Our Starters

jabrch
05-10-2007, 03:44 PM
A month into the season...we are 4th in the AL in quality starts.

We are 5th in the AL in ERA.

We are 2nd in BAA.

We are 3rd in WHIP.

We have 3 starters with WHIPs under 1.10, and ERAs under 4.0.

We play our home games in a very hitter friendly park.

Kenny, Ozzie and Coop have put together a very good rotation here.

sox1970
05-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Be careful--the same stuff happened last year, and they fell apart after Memorial Day.

WhiteSox5187
05-10-2007, 03:59 PM
It's too early to say "Oh wow! What a great rotation!" Because how many rotations have looked good in April and then sucked in August? I know I'm a pessimist, so I'm waiting for the rotation to fall apart. But hopefully they'll keep pitching like this in which case we'll be fine.

Fuller_Schettman
05-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Throw out opening day and Jose's ERA is 2.25 since then (10 ER in his last 40 IP)

Fuller_Schettman
05-10-2007, 04:01 PM
It's too early to say "Oh wow! What a great rotation!" Because how many rotations have looked good in April and then sucked in August? I know I'm a pessimist, so I'm waiting for the rotation to fall apart. But hopefully they'll keep pitching like this in which case we'll be fine.

This team is built for October! We just have to get there....

Hitmen77
05-10-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm feeling very good about this rotation 1 through 5. One thing that will really help them over last year is a much improved bullpen. Again, the bullpen isn't perfect, but it seems to be significantly better than last year.

Now we just need to get our offense going. Come on, Dye, Crede, and Konerko!!

AJ Hellraiser
05-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Be careful--the same stuff happened last year, and they fell apart after Memorial Day.

I don't remember it that way... I remember our offense being an absolute juggernaut in the first half and that kind of masked the pitching woes.. but when the offense began to slow down right after the All-Star break we really began to realize the starting pitching (Garcia, Vazquez and Buehrle post-memorial day) were worse than we realized...

Then the pitching really came on the last 4-6 weeks and the offense was doing about what it has been doing so far this season

Chicken Dinner
05-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Last time someone posted a "great bullpen" thread they got lit up!

sox1970
05-10-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't remember it that way... I remember our offense being an absolute juggernaut in the first half and that kind of masked the pitching woes.. but when the offense began to slow down right after the All-Star break we really began to realize the starting pitching (Garcia, Vazquez and Buehrle post-memorial day) were worse than we realized...

Then the pitching really came on the last 4-6 weeks and the offense was doing about what it has been doing so far this season

Vazquez had 7 quality starts in his first 10. As a team, they had 32 quality starts in the first 50 games, and then it really tailed off. They got away with it because they outpowered everyone in June. But then the All Star break came and they finished the year 34-43.

Sargeant79
05-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Just heard on Sportscenter...

White Sox starters have lasted at least 6 innings for 16 straight starts.

Pretty cool.

TheOldRoman
05-11-2007, 12:33 AM
I am very pumped about our rotation for one big reason - they have been very good, but not spectacular. Allow me to clarify. They have all been good, but they haven't been "on fire". Other than a handful of games, I wouldn't say they were "lights out" at any time. They are having good games, while still having a mistake or two here and there. They are giving up big innings, then settling down. As good as they have been, I think they can pitcher better than they are. What they are doing now is in no way a fluke.

Frater Perdurabo
05-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Yes, the starting pitching has been good. It's been the strength of the team, by far.

As for the offense, I think this period without Thome will make the rest of the hitters better. Not being able to rely on Thome to both get on base via the walk and/or hammer a mammoth moon shot is forcing the offense to "grind" out runs throgh working counts, taking walks, the timely base hit, slapping grounders to the right side, hustling to take the extra base, hitting a sac fly, etc. Having to use all these now just to scratch out runs will make them part of the arsenal down the road. Add Thome to the mix and the Sox could/should have a truly multidimensional offense.