PDA

View Full Version : Cubbie Fever is driving me absolutely crazy

PatK
05-10-2007, 10:16 AM
I normally don't let what goes on with the Cubs bother me.

But it seems any time I tune on to any sports coverage, be it the radio or television, the whole city seems to have caught Cub fever. This is the year. The Cubs are on a roll. Everyone is beaming with their success.

However, when I look at the paper, they are 1 game over .500, in 2nd place in their division (the weakest in baseball), and for the most part, have played nothing but bottom feeders.

They have 1 more win then the Sox, who by all media accounts are dead and buried and need to have a fire sale, even though they've had a pretty tough schedule and are closer to the division lead than the Cubs.

It was bad enough that the last two years, where the Sox had 90+ win seasons, we had to listen to how it was "too early in the season" to be excited at what the Sox were doing- even though they had a better record than this years Cubs who are "going to win it all".

I can't take it. There's no escape. And it's not like I can turn to ESPN for un-biased sports coverage.

Like I said, normally, it doesn't bother me. Probably because part of being a Sox fan is recognizing the media bias and dealing with it. But something about this year is worse. And it's only May.

And one more thing- how anyone as unknowledgeable about sports such as Harry Tinywaist or Mike Murphy can have a job in the sports media is beyond me. They are like grown-up versions of 12 year-old fanboys debating PS3 vs Xbox360 on video game forums.

soltrain21
05-10-2007, 10:25 AM
Can we sticky this post and call it "The Cliff Notes Version of Whats the Score?"

WizardsofOzzie
05-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Hangar, is that you? :redneck

Juice16
05-10-2007, 10:30 AM
I hear ya. I am surrounded by Cub fans here at work and my best friend has a new found cockiness. Teh other day, the Suntimes had a headline, Only a Matter of Time.... to what? To a stretch of games against the Cardinals, Nationals and Pirates for the last few weeks. Dont' let that fact get in the way of their glee.

rocky biddle
05-10-2007, 10:58 AM

But it seems any time I tune on to any sports coverage, be it the radio or television, the whole city seems to have caught Cub fever. This is the year. The Cubs are on a roll. Everyone is beaming with their success.

However, when I look at the paper, they are 1 game over .500, in 2nd place in their division (the weakest in baseball), and for the most part, have played nothing but bottom feeders.

They have 1 more win then the Sox, who by all media accounts are dead and buried and need to have a fire sale, even though they've had a pretty tough schedule and are closer to the division lead than the Cubs.

It was bad enough that the last two years, where the Sox had 90+ win seasons, we had to listen to how it was "too early in the season" to be excited at what the Sox were doing- even though they had a better record than this years Cubs who are "going to win it all".

I can't take it. There's no escape. And it's not like I can turn to ESPN for un-biased sports coverage.

Like I said, normally, it doesn't bother me. Probably because part of being a Sox fan is recognizing the media bias and dealing with it. But something about this year is worse. And it's only May.

And one more thing- how anyone as unknowledgeable about sports such as Harry Tinywaist or Mike Murphy can have a job in the sports media is beyond me. They are like grown-up versions of 12 year-old fanboys debating PS3 vs Xbox360 on video game forums.

I bought Sirius satelite radio. It's been some of the best money I've ever spent. And the Chicago media is dead to me. That helps too.

SOXPHILE
05-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Whatever you do, DO NOT LISTEN TO MIKE MURPHY. It is extremely dangerous, and you become automatically baseball / sports in general dumber, even by just hearing 5-10 minutes. Knows absolutely NOTHING about baseball /football/basketball/hockey, and steers all topics towards the Cubs, and tires to include them in any and all coversation. His area of expertise is limited to the 1969 Cubs, when he was a young, drunk, un-employed bleacher bum, and tries to remind you of this every chance he gets. DO NOT LISTEN.

Chicken Dinner
05-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Don't worry about it. They're just setting themselves up for the big letdown.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5341&stc=1&d=1178814111

PatK
05-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Hangar, is that you? :redneck

LOL

I don't tune in to Murph personally- a coworker does at lunch and I am forced to listen to it. Thank God it's only for 1/2 an hour.

Like I've said, normally the Cubbie talk doesn't bother me, but this year it seems way worse.

spiffie
05-10-2007, 11:26 AM
I hear ya. I am surrounded by Cub fans here at work and my best friend has a new found cockiness. Teh other day, the Suntimes had a headline, Only a Matter of Time.... to what? To a stretch of games against the Cardinals, Nationals and Pirates for the last few weeks. Dont' let that fact get in the way of their glee.
Problem is the whole NL is composed of bottom feeders. Are thoughts of the Reds, Astros, Marlins, and D-Backs any more imposing.

I'm just glad the Brew Crew is on a roll, so that even with the very hot play they've had lately the Cubs are still 6.5 back.

IndianWhiteSox
05-10-2007, 11:27 AM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5341&stc=1&d=1178814111

Oh yea, and don't forget:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5340&d=1178811241

WisSoxFan
05-10-2007, 11:31 AM

This may be my favorite picture ever on WSI. If I were smarter I would figure out to put in a Badger site I frequent to get under the skin of some of the Cub Nuts on that board.

HotelWhiteSox
05-10-2007, 11:31 AM
It's annoying because in past years, the media always used a crappy division against us, as a reason to rip on us. Now that the Cubs are in that situation (which is much worse, the whole league is ****), they use it to their credit.

Hitmen77
05-10-2007, 11:36 AM

But it seems any time I tune on to any sports coverage, be it the radio or television, they give us the false impression that the whole city seems to have caught Cub fever. This is the year. The Cubs are on a roll. Everyone in the media is beaming with their success.

I made some minor corrections for you.

This is no different than the media reaction any time in the last 25 years that the Cubs start winning games a few games.

ewokpelts
05-10-2007, 11:36 AM

And one more thing- how anyone as unknowledgeable about sports such as Harry Tinywaist or Mike Murphy can have a job in the sports media is beyond me. They are like grown-up versions of 12 year-old fanboys debating PS3 vs Xbox360 on video game forums.let every cub fan know the brewers have SEVEN GAMES OVER THEM. it sure as hell aint the cubs year yet

CHISOXFAN13
05-10-2007, 11:40 AM
Problem is the whole NL is composed of bottom feeders. Are thoughts of the Reds, Astros, Marlins, and D-Backs any more imposing.

I'm just glad the Brew Crew is on a roll, so that even with the very hot play they've had lately the Cubs are still 6.5 back.

Those teams don't impose fear, but the Cubs are set to embark on a stretch of games at Philly, at NY, home against the Sox and a road trip to LA and SF.

That's big trouble for a team struggling to score runs against the Pirates and Nats.

ComiskeyBrewer
05-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Those teams don't impose fear, but the Cubs are set to embark on a stretch of games at Philly, at NY, home against the Sox and a road trip to LA and SF.

That's big trouble for a team struggling to score runs against the Pirates and Nats.

My thoughts exactly. They will be back below .500 in no time.

TDog
05-10-2007, 03:02 PM
In January, I saw a friend wearing a T-shirt that read, "Cubs Fever -- Catch it and die." Fortunately, on the West Coast, I am insulated from most of the Cubs stuff.

Winning, like living well, is the best revenge. But having grown up in Munster when people harassed me because I was a White Sox fan, I understand how Sox fans can be driven to hate the Cubs. I was only 12 during the 1969 collapse and didn't fully enjoy it, but after a summer where everyone was acting like the Cubs were going to the World Series and only I cared that my hero, Carlos May, had suffered a military injury that could end his career during his brilliant rookie season, it was pleasant to see the people who taunted me suffer a little bit.

I understand what Sox fans must be going through. But the Cubs aren't going to win. They may lose 2 of 3 to the Pirates at home while they are "hot." The more Cubs fans expect, the more they will suffer and be resorted to rooting against the Sox to succeed in September, and hopefully October.

PaulDrake
05-10-2007, 03:16 PM

And one more thing- how anyone as unknowledgeable about sports such as Harry Tinywaist or Mike Murphy can have a job in the sports media is beyond me. They are like grown-up versions of 12 year-old fanboys debating PS3 vs Xbox360 on video game forums. I can't tell you how many times in my life the cubs have won pennants in May or June.

palehozenychicty
05-10-2007, 03:17 PM
I can't tell you how many times in my life the cubs have won pennants in May or June.

I know. The May swoon is coming. :D:

PatK
05-10-2007, 03:51 PM
I can't tell you how many times in my life the cubs have won pennants in May or June.

LOL

A:supernana:

Hitmen77
05-10-2007, 03:52 PM

Woops, they just dropped 2 out of 3 to the Pirates. I guess it's time to start blaming the curse. Maybe they can arrange to play the Nationals some more to run up their win total.

PaulDrake
05-10-2007, 03:56 PM
The powerhouse Pirates just beat the cubs 6-4, to take the series 2 games to 1. Pinch hitter Daryle Ward hit one to the deepest part of right field for the final out. The faithful leaped in anticipation, but right fielder Ryan Doumit ran the ball down. It looked to me like an object of some kind, coming from the direction of where some of the "greatest fans in the world" were sitting, was thrown at him just as he made the catch. Too bad. The latest pennant express is now at .500.

The Immigrant
05-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Their schedule is absolutely brutal over the next six weeks. They'll be lucky to be less than 10 games out of first by the time July rolls around.

TDog
05-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Their schedule is absolutely brutal over the next six weeks. They'll be lucky to be less than 10 games out of first by the time July rolls around.

Really, that depends on how well the Brewers play. The Cubs are in second place, although they are 2.5 games out of last place. The Brewers, who have been getting great pitching and timely hitting, aren't in a position to coast.

Oddly enough, I heard on the radio this weekend that there wasn't a chance Clemens would return to the Astros because they are dead. The same commentator said the Cubs are a team to watch in the NL Central. Right now, the Cubs are a game in front of the Astros, and as bad as the Cardinals have been this year, the Cubs aren't much better off in the win-loss column.

bryPt
05-10-2007, 04:22 PM
I was just in Phoenix for 5 days for business. I like going there, no cub crap, diamondbacks are playing pretty well and you can always get a ticket. Suns talk on the radio. So it is really a vacation away from cubDUMB even though it is for work.

I pull up to my office Sunday morning, and on the flag poll, just under our company flag, IS A CUB FLAG.

The owner of the building our office is in is based out of the north side of chicago and decided that a cub flag on the flag pole was a good idea. The employees in the entire building are diamondback fans, so there is a war to take it down.

Came home today and asked to only go to our Denver office from now on, or until the Cub flag is removed.

RadioheadRocks
05-10-2007, 06:00 PM
The Cubs are in second place, although they are 2.5 games out of last place.

Further proof that Comedy Central has moved from the American League and is now comfortably settled in with the National League. :bandance:

jabrch
05-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I, for one, would love to see the Cubs and the Sox both make it all the way to the World Series. This town would go bananas.

That said, with the way the Cubs play defense, I don't see how anyone can expect them to even go .500 on the year.

Nellie_Fox
05-10-2007, 06:21 PM
I, for one, would love to see the Cubs and the Sox both make it all the way to the World Series.:puking:

JB98
05-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Woops, they just dropped 2 out of 3 to the Pirates. I guess it's time to start blaming the curse. Maybe they can arrange to play the Nationals some more to run up their win total.

No kidding. The Nationals are 9-25, far and away the worst team in baseball. Almost everyone sweeps them. In the last 10 days, the Cubs have split six games with a subpar Pirates team and swept a double-A team from Washington. Congratulations, Cub fans! You're on your way!

As a side note, I have vowed not to use the word "Cubs" in a single column for calendar year 2007. Not all members of the media are rooting for the Cubs. In fact, I am blatantly pro-Sox in all my writings. :D:

jabrch
05-10-2007, 07:22 PM
:puking:

Nellie - this town would turn over. It would be the best. And the winner of the series (the Sox) would have bragging rights - forever.

Also - since I have season tickets on both sides of town, I'd get to be a part of the whole damn shooting match!

MarySwiss
05-10-2007, 07:47 PM

Classic! I seem to remember a line from the play "Bleacher Bums" where one guy said something like "Nobody ever went broke betting against the Cubs after the Fourth of July."

This is just the usual crap.

Jurr
05-10-2007, 09:02 PM
Nellie - this town would turn over. It would be the best. And the winner of the series (the Sox) would have bragging rights - forever.

Also - since I have season tickets on both sides of town, I'd get to be a part of the whole damn shooting match!
Well, that has already been done. A LOOONG time ago. So I guess the bragging rights don't last forever, huh?
By the way, it still ranks as one of the biggest upsets of all time.

jabrch
05-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Well, that has already been done. A LOOONG time ago. So I guess the bragging rights don't last forever, huh?
By the way, it still ranks as one of the biggest upsets of all time.

you know what I meant. Nobody cares about 1906 at least as far as current baseball goes. Could you imagine this town, if the Sox and Cubs were facing for the World Series title?

Nellie_Fox
05-11-2007, 12:19 AM
you know what I meant. Nobody cares about 1906 at least as far as current baseball goes. Could you imagine this town, if the Sox and Cubs were facing for the World Series title?Can you imagine the town if the Sox go to World Series after World Series, while the Cubs continue to wallow in mediocrity? That's a town I want to see.

IndianWhiteSox
05-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Can you imagine the town if the Sox go to World Series after World Series, while the Cubs continue to wallow in mediocrity? That's a town I want to see.

My thoughts exactly!
:cool:

DrewSox56
05-11-2007, 12:58 AM
My sediments exactly!
:cool:

"Sediments"? :?:

What are you saying?

C-Dawg
05-11-2007, 06:48 AM

What are you saying?

He needs a little more fiber in his diet! :D:

The Immigrant
05-11-2007, 07:59 AM
He needs a little more fiber in his diet! :D:

:kneeslap:

Uncle_Patrick
05-11-2007, 08:24 AM
you know what I meant. Nobody cares about 1906 at least as far as current baseball goes. Could you imagine this town, if the Sox and Cubs were facing for the World Series title?

I think it would be ugly. There are people on both sides who take the rivalry far too seriously.

WizardsofOzzie
05-11-2007, 09:04 AM

What are you saying?
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/618/slide1ai0.jpg

WSox597
05-11-2007, 09:11 AM
There you have the difference between Sox and Cub fans.

Cub fans are going bananas over a .500 record in the worst division of the weakest league.

Sox fans are sitting on pins and needles over a .500 record in the best division of the strongest league.

Cub fans are making rash statements about how "This is OUR year!".

Sox fans are talking about possible fire sales, and overhauling the team.

You have to love it.

Tragg
05-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Last I checked, the Cubs were c..500 and c. 5 games out. The .500 recored was achieved via a home sweep of the nationals.

Pennant fever?

Huh?

PaulDrake
05-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Can you imagine the town if the Sox go to World Series after World Series, while the Cubs continue to wallow in mediocrity? That's a town I want to see. Order and sanity would finally be restored in the universe.

Uncle_Patrick
05-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Can you imagine the town if the Sox go to World Series after World Series, while the Cubs continue to wallow in mediocrity? That's a town I want to see.
I like your thinking.

Railsplitter
05-11-2007, 09:46 AM

Approrpriately for the Urinal, that "snowman" is yellow.:wink:

Hitmen77
05-11-2007, 11:18 AM

Exactly! The Sox have made incredible inroads in grabbing market share here after '05. I want to see more trophies at the Cell and more of the same at the Urinal to finally get this town off of its Blue Kool-aid addiction.

If the Sox and Cubs both make it to the World Series, that would just let the Cubs continue to cement their stranglehold on Chicago.

TDog
05-11-2007, 11:50 AM
I think it would be ugly. There are people on both sides who take the rivalry far too seriously.

I think you would end up with something akin to a civil war because people take it too seriously.

Of course, in 1906, both teams finished in first place and went to the World Series. I have read that there were differences between Cubs fans and Sox fans, but the rivalry wasn't what it was today. You also have to survive two postseason series to get to the World Series. The Sox or Cubs could win 105 games and not even make it to the league championship series. If I'm cheering for the White Sox to make a postseason run, I won't be cheering for the Cubs because I wouldn't want to see the Cubs make it without the Sox meeting them there at the end. I know Cubs fans would feel that way, especially after 2005.

In 2003, the White Sox actually had a better regular season, up until when they didn't win it at the end. As Sox fans we all know how painful that was. We also might remember how the Cubs were getting more support in the city down the stretch than the Sox were. The pain was intensified by the success of the Cubs, up until the Cubs collapsed. And we've seen the pain that that caused with our Cubs fans friends.

If both teams made World Series runs in the same year, there would be as much pain as joy. While I would like to think the White Sox would win, I'm sure the potential for pain would be greater for White Sox fans.

vegyrex
05-11-2007, 01:17 PM

World Champion Chicago White Sox

Last place Chicago Cubs

Me likes, me likes! :smile:

Foulke You
05-11-2007, 01:27 PM
In 2003, the White Sox actually had a better regular season, up until when they didn't win it at the end. As Sox fans we all know how painful that was. We also might remember how the Cubs were getting more support in the city down the stretch than the Sox were. The pain was intensified by the success of the Cubs, up until the Cubs collapsed. And we've seen the pain that that caused with our Cubs fans friends.

If both teams made World Series runs in the same year, there would be as much pain as joy. While I would like to think the White Sox would win, I'm sure the potential for pain would be greater for White Sox fans.
2003 was the closest this town came to getting both teams in the postseason. In my lifetime, it was also the only time I could remember both teams being in contention in the final weeks of the season. The Sox looked like they were going to sow up the division in September but blew the final 2 games of a crucial 4 game series at home against Minnesota (Jose Paniagua...shudder) and then got swept out of the Metrodome a week later which pretty much ended the Jerry Manual era. The Cubs then feasted on a light schedule of Pirates and Brewers down the stretch and won the NL Central with only 88 wins and then had the big collapse in the NLCS. It would have been interesting to see how media coverage would have been handled if both teams made the playoffs.

jabrch
05-11-2007, 01:44 PM
(Jose Paniagua...shudder)

I will NEVER forget that.

One of the darker moments in the last 20 years.

RadioheadRocks
05-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Looks like the fever may be breaking... check out tonight's game thread over at NSBB (feel free to lurk, but be nice, ok?): http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=40598&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

WSox597
05-12-2007, 08:08 AM
I noticed while checking their thread out that one of them had a sig line that said "Still don't know who Mark Buerhle is."

I wonder if he had that one before, or after, the no-hitter.

He'd probably want to know if Sammy hit a homer during the no-hitter.

RadioheadRocks
05-12-2007, 09:36 PM
I noticed while checking their thread out that one of them had a sig line that said "Still don't know who Mark Buerhle is."

I wonder if he had that one before, or after, the no-hitter.

He'd probably want to know if Sammy hit a homer during the no-hitter.

He probably just didn't have his Wheaties. :D: