PDA

View Full Version : Gammons speaks. Nobody cares outside of Boston

Fenway
05-10-2007, 09:06 AM
I'll post the audio if WEEI puts it up

Gammons in looking at the Central now thinks it will be a 2 team race between Cleveland and Detroit and says if Cleveland can not take advantage of the Detroit injuries it will cost them 4 months from now.

Gammo thinks the White Sox made a fatal flaw on worrying too much about the Twins and not watching the Indians and Tigers as much and says they need a 10 game streak NOW or it could be over.

Michael Holley pointed out the Twins came roaring back last year and Gammons replied "that won't happen this year" because of the Indians improvements.

The Immigrant
05-10-2007, 09:08 AM
Well, I guess it's over then.

Mullet Master
05-10-2007, 09:08 AM
I don't think anyone puts any stock in what Mr. Gammons has to say. You could probably train a monkey to come up with the stuff he has to say.

balke
05-10-2007, 09:09 AM
I honestly don't disagree with that. The Sox are in a strange place right now, they are in the toughest division with a lot of quality players entering free agency. They are going to get some great deals if they are out of it. If they fall behind this race, it may be too tempting to cut bait.

Detroit just ended an 8-game win streak. Cleveland looks unstoppable right now. The Sox need to pull it all together and win through May, and get to that easier June schedule. If they can't get a lead in June, it'll be a tough season.

Hitmen77
05-10-2007, 09:11 AM
Yes, Peter, a team that is 4 games out before Mothers Day needs a 10 game winning streak to prevent the entire season from being "over".

:rolleyes:

skobabe8
05-10-2007, 09:13 AM
The White Sox made a fatal flaw by not watching Cleveland and Detroit? Watch them do what?? :?:

itsnotrequired
05-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Detroit just ended an 8-game win streak. Cleveland looks unstoppable right now. The Sox need to pull it all together and win through May, and get to that easier June schedule. If they can't get a lead in June, it'll be a tough season.

Take a look at the upcoming schedules. The Sox get the Royals and a not-the-same-as-they-once-were Yankees at home while Minnesota hosts Detroit and then goes to Cleveland. Detroit travels to Boston and Cleveland travels to Oakland as well.

If the Sox take care of business at home, they could easily make up a few games as Detroit, Cleveland and Minnesota wail on one another.

Fenway
05-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Michael Holley was really bashing him about the White Sox :smile:

Scottiehaswheels
05-10-2007, 09:21 AM
Has Gammons noticed that the Indians have only played a whopping 8 games within the Central? for baseballs toughest division they haven't played much in it... they'll be back to earth once they stop playing the other 2 AL divisions...

WizardsofOzzie
05-10-2007, 09:22 AM
http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/8/5/8/f_giveadamnprm_85aa24f.gif

JorgeFabregas
05-10-2007, 09:23 AM
The White Sox made a fatal flaw by not watching Cleveland and Detroit? Watch them do what?? :?:
Exactly.

cheeses_h_rice
05-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Yes, Peter, a team that is 4 games out before Mothers Day needs a 10 game winning streak to prevent the entire season from being "over".

:rolleyes:

Seriously. Why not just address the fact that the Sox hitters are playing like **** and that if that improves to what it should be, the Sox are right in the thick of things?

palehozenychicty
05-10-2007, 10:04 AM
I just can't buy the Indians. Sorry. They folded in '04 and '05 like a cheap plastic bag when the games got important. They looked horrible against a bruised Yankee team a month ago, as no game was even competitive. That being said, either us or Detroit will win the division/wild card.

soxfan13
05-10-2007, 10:10 AM
I just can't buy the Indians. Sorry. They folded in '04 and '05 like a cheap plastic bag when the games got important. They looked horrible against a bruised Yankee team a month ago, as no game was even competitive. That being said, either us or Detroit will win the division/wild card.

Would you really call what they did in 05 folding. They dug themselves a big hole and then played lights out and almost stole the division from the Sox.

The Immigrant
05-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Would you really call what they did in 05 folding. They dug themselves a big hole and then played lights out and almost stole the division from the Sox.

I would say that losing to the Royals in a make-or-break game and then dropping three in a row to the White Sox "B squad" qualifies as folding.

Hitmen77
05-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Has Gammons noticed that the Indians have only played a whopping 8 games within the Central? for baseballs toughest division they haven't played much in it... they'll be back to earth once they stop playing the other 2 AL divisions...

The last 2 weeks, they've played mostly teams that are among the worst in the A.L.: Baltimore, Tampa, Texas, and Toronto. The Sox meanwhile, have stumbled mostly due to a team batting avg of .220 that I'm very confident won't continue for very long.

I'm not saying that the Indians won't be successful over the course of the season, but to say that they are about to effectively end the Sox season based on this 2 week period in late April/early May is just stupid.

palehozenychicty
05-10-2007, 10:21 AM
I would say that losing to the Royals in a make-or-break game and then dropping three in a row to the White Sox "B squad" qualifies as folding.

That was my point. They had the wild card locked up in '05 if they would've just held on against the Royals. Anyway, they're playing well now, but the jury is still out.

D. TODD
05-10-2007, 10:33 AM
It's way too early for any team to be counted out especially with the talent the Sox have. They are playing ugly ball, (offensively) but they are at .500 only 4 1/2 games out at the beginning of May. Time to hang it up if they don't win a bunch in a row immediately for sure!:?:

IndianWhiteSox
05-10-2007, 10:34 AM
This says it all:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5340&d=1178811241

soxfan13
05-10-2007, 10:35 AM

I call it running out of gas. What they did that second half shouldnt be look at as folding They could have easily folded it up and just played out the second half.

SOXPHILE
05-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Don't forget, the Twins and Cubs will meet in the 2005 World Series !

goon
05-10-2007, 11:25 AM
I call it running out of gas. What they did that second half shouldnt be look at as folding They could have easily folded it up and just played out the second half.

You're right, they had a fantastic second half, then had the mother of all chokes after Grady botched that fly ball, can you really argue with that?

Like PaleHoze said, I'll believe it when I see it from the Indians. This is the third year they have been insanely hyped-up, but the last two years they didn't even make the playoffs... and right now they are getting by with a VERY weak bullpen and Joe Borowski as their closer, tell me that isn't a ticking timebomb.

As far as the Sox, the pitching has been unbelievable this year and that seemed to be the biggest question mark before the season. Does anyone doubt this offense coming around? It looks like they already have begun to and with a pitching staff and bullpen like the Sox have, they are as good as anyone in this division or league.

Johnny Mostil
05-10-2007, 05:43 PM

That's a fair point. But they also went 1-6 in the last week of the season against the Royals, D-Rays, and Sox (who fielded their fourth string in one of those games).

Beyond that, as others have often said here, titles can't be won in the spring . . .

Edit: I see others have already addressed the point . . .

JB98
05-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Don't forget, the Twins and Cubs will meet in the 2005 World Series !

Didn't he predict that last year? Or maybe he just predicts that every year. After all, Boston fans feel a "special kinship" with the Cubbie faithful.

FedEx227
05-10-2007, 07:23 PM

Yeah, how does a baseball team screw up by not paying attention to teams ahead of them. To the best of my knowledge, teams go out and attempt to win games. I highly doubt Garland runs into the clubhouse telling everyone they are 5 1/2 back of Cleveland and they should really go out there and win tonight.

Hokiesox
05-15-2007, 05:19 PM
Remember, the Astros started 15-30 in 2005 and made the series.

Granted, that's in a very weak NL, but still...

AnkleSox
05-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Didn't he predict that last year? Or maybe he just predicts that every year. After all, Boston fans feel a "special kinship" with the Cubbie faithful.

It's actually the cubs fans that feel that kinship with boston fans. Most Red Sox fans I know thinks Cubs fans are quite annoying and never shut up about the supposed "link" between the teams.

Not saying Red Sox fans aren't some of the more annoying ones in baseball, but they don't side with cubs fans.

TDog
05-16-2007, 05:34 PM

Yes, in the same sense the White Sox folded in 1967. The Indians were behind the Sox, but in retrospect, it's hard to see how the Indians could have failed to take the wild card.

The Indians folded Sunday, too, when, needing only 1 out to win by 2 runs and having no baserunners to contend with, the bullpen gave up 5 runs. How unbeatable is that?

Really, it's a matter of semantics. I suppose you could say the '05 Indians didn't fold because they were consistent -- alternately consistently bad, consistently good and consistently bad. It's a long season. Just because a team looks unbeatable on May 15 doesn't mean they will look unbeatable on Sept. 15.

thomas35forever
05-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Gammons must be hanging out with Kruk too much.

TomParrish79
05-16-2007, 11:30 PM
well he has me sold