PDA

View Full Version : Ken Griffey Jr.

dcb56
05-10-2007, 05:15 AM
Given the Sox offensives struggles, I've been thinking about options for improving the outfield, and I'm wondering if Griffey may be a possibility. Ya, I know he's old and is often injured, so please spare me the obligatory wise crack responses, but he's still productive when healthy and given the Reds' struggles in a division that looked very winnable going into the season I'm wondering if he could be picked up for dirt cheap. There's no question he'd be an upgrade over Mack/Ozuna/whoever the hell else Ozzie decides to throw out there on a daily basis, and if Griffey could actually catch lightning in a bottle and stay healthy for an entire season, it may be a move that could put the Sox over the top. Thoughts?

Palpidious
05-10-2007, 05:34 AM
is it already that time of year for us to be bringing up Griffey?

rdwj
05-10-2007, 07:27 AM
:hawk

Where's he gonna play?!?!?

Scottiehaswheels
05-10-2007, 07:29 AM
Screw that... Get that Hamilton kid... Reds need relievers...

mwc44
05-10-2007, 07:49 AM
Here we go.... AGAIN!

spiffie
05-10-2007, 01:52 PM
You know spring has arrived and summer is getting close when the Ken Griffey rumors begin to bloom.

twsoxfan5
05-10-2007, 01:59 PM
I like what Erstad is doing right, but he is a flight risk and I dont think having 2 injury prone outfielders is a good idea.

bryPt
05-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Erstad? - stay grindy my friend.

I think I would take KGJ over grindy any day.

southside rocks
05-10-2007, 04:36 PM
I like what Erstad is doing right, but he is a flight risk and I dont think having 2 injury prone outfielders is a good idea.

Erstad might flee the country? Why? :o:

BiggestFan14
05-10-2007, 05:31 PM
I love Griffey and he is my favorite baseball player of all time, and that would be great. But we don't need him and I would rather him stay where he will actually play everyday. Only way the Sox should get Griffey is if someting worse happens to Thome and the Sox need a DH. But I would still love to see my favorite player on my favorite team.

Foulke You
05-11-2007, 11:29 AM
is it already that time of year for us to be bringing up Griffey?
This has to be the earliest Griffey's name has popped up on WSI. You can do a search on WSI for Griffey trade rumors that go back to 2003 when the talk was Magglio for Griffey and prospects.:rolleyes: Also, who could forget the big trade that never was in 2005 when we ended up with Geoff Blum and not Griffey at the deadline.

Seriously though, if someone could guarantee that Griffey could stay healthy, I'd love to have him in LF but the guy is "Mr. Glass". He is a season ending injury waiting to happen and it would be a very risky acquisition. Not to mention, the Reds won't just give him away for free. They're gonna want a Gio Gonzalez or a Lance Broadway in return for him.

crazyozzie02
05-11-2007, 05:21 PM
This is a great idea!!! Now if we can only find some way some way to make this a three-way trade and get Rowand too!!!!:redneck

gobears1987
05-11-2007, 06:06 PM
:hawk

Where's he gonna play?!?!?beat me to it

WizardsofOzzie
05-11-2007, 06:16 PM
Image deleted by moderator.

MetroPD
05-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Griffey would never leave Cincinnatti especially at this point in his career.

fusillirob1983
05-11-2007, 09:08 PM
beat me to it

The exact picture and phrase came to mind when I saw the title and location of the thread.

IndianWhiteSox
05-12-2007, 12:43 AM
Griffey would never leave Cincinnatti especially at this point in his career.

Who knows? The Reds could decline to pick up his option after the 2008 season thus making him a free agent.

comerica
05-12-2007, 12:50 AM
Keep in mind that Griffey has a no trade clause. Every indication is that he'll retire a Red. Remember, the closeness to family is not the only reason he's in cinncinati. His dad's legacy has a huge role in this.

IndianWhiteSox
05-12-2007, 12:52 AM
Keep in mind that Griffey has a no trade clause. Every indication is that he'll retire a Red. Remember, the closeness to family is not the only reason he's in cinncinati. His dad's legacy has a huge role in this.

While that maybe true, just remember that he also wants to win a World Series and lucky for him, he doesn't have to leave too far to have a chance to accomplish that feat either with the SOX, Tigers, St. Louis, etc.

comerica
05-12-2007, 01:16 AM
While that maybe true, just remember that he also wants to win a World Series and lucky for him, he doesn't have to leave too far to have a chance to accomplish that feat either with the SOX, Tigers, St. Louis, etc.

agreed. I left that counterpoint out and shouldn't have. If anything happens, it's going to be right at the deadline. The Sox, Cardinals and Tigers look like the contenders right now(despite STL's horrid start), but a lot can change between then and now.

IF griffey decides the ring is more important, I'm sure he's also aware that he damn well better make the right pick, because he's unlikey to get another shot.

IndianWhiteSox
05-12-2007, 01:27 AM
agreed. I left that counterpoint out and shouldn't have. If anything happens, it's going to be right at the deadline. The Sox, Cardinals and Tigers look like the contenders right now(despite STL's horrid start), but a lot can change between then and now.

IF griffey decides the ring is more important, I'm sure he's also aware that he damn well better make the right pick, because he's unlikey to get another shot.

He could be a FA as soon as '08 if they don't pick up his option. So the Reds might not even get more than a draft pick out of it, if they can't trade him to one of those teams.