PDA

View Full Version : *official* Danks Get His First M.l. Win!!! 5/9/2007 Postgame Thread

MCHSoxFan
05-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Congrats to John!!! :gulp: I loved the pitching, offense, and defense. I was happy with Boone. Yes, I know, he faced just one batter, but he struck him out. However, I was not happy with three things. I did not like Uribe's throw in the bottom of the 8th inning. Another thing I disliked was Mike's performance AGAIN!!! Lastly, Bobby in the bottom of the 9th but he Got he go the SAVE. :angry:

Overall, I give this game: :D:

KEEP IT COMIN' WHITE SOX!!!

gobears1987
05-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Great win.

Danks was amazing.

thomas35forever
05-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Whew! We pulled it off. Where are ya, Timberwolf?

Dan Mega
05-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Danks was grrrrrrrrrreat tonight. Nice win!

roadrunner
05-09-2007, 09:41 PM
whew - back to .500 - let's get over it and keep climbing!

voodoochile
Danks and Jenks and beer showers for all my friends...:gulp:

:winner

Nice to see they didn't let last night's ugliness affect them...:supernana:

CHISOXFAN13
Let the beer shower commence!

Solid overall win. Great at-bat by Uribe to extend the first to Sweeney, and Danks was fantastic.

PK is starting to swing the bat.

sox1970
Beer shower!!! Or is that not allowed now?

Congrats to Danks!!! And many more....

whitesoxfan
I think the postgame thread will be a bit more mellow tonight.

Great outing by Danks. Offense jumped out early and often...really helped him settle in.

Navarro's Talent
Great to see a win after yesterday's mishap. Danks will be getting a beer shower in 3...2.....1......

MCHSoxFan
Whew! We pulled it off. Where are ya, Timberwolf?

Yeah, if only we did that YESTERDAY. Let's WIN the series!!!

delben91
05-09-2007, 09:42 PM
I demand KW trade everyone on this team and then fires Ozzie and promptly resigns.

I'm sick of this ****.

:wink: (for those that can't handle a lack of teal)

infohawk
I couldn't watch the game tonight. I assume Bobby was shaky? What happened? Walks, hits...hard hits?

MUsoxfan
Danks looks alot like Buehrle. His motion, his pitches and his mannerisms are strikingly similar. That can only be a good thing

Brian26
To answer a question from the gamethread before it got closed:

The two runs that scored on the Hunter play are unearned. Hunter reached first on a hit and advanced to third on the throwing error by Uribe. The two runs scored on the throwing error, making them unearned (even though Hunter reached on a hit).

soxfan123
Man you are quick. I liked this game a lot. In my opinion, this was the most important win of the year for us. We finally saw consistent offensive production AND solid pitching in one game, and it was in the metrodome. I know that MacDougal was subpar, but you can't have absolutely everything work out, especially given the recent struggles of this team.

CHISOXFAN13
I couldn't watch the game tonight. I assume Bobby was shaky? What happened? Walks, hits...hard hits?

Walks, but he really settled in nicely after allowing the first two on.

Hendu
Congrats, Danks.

You can't blame MacDougal tonight. 2 seeing eye singles, then a horrible throw by Juan. No balls hit hard that inning.

I would love to see a laugher where we're in control the entire way. My heart can't take this constant drama :(:

IndianWhiteSox
05-09-2007, 09:43 PM
One more and we take the series!

:cool::gulp::bandance::)

IlliniSox4Life
Congrats to Danks. This kid has shown us a lot so far, and I'm glad he got his first win. If only we give him some more support he could be a ROY candidate.

cheezheadsoxfan
Great win, congratulations (long overdue) to John Danks on his 1st win.:bandance:

But man, the 8th & 9th were painful. Why does Bobby keep messing with us?

Bucky F. Dent
05-09-2007, 09:45 PM
Keep waiting for this team to get on a hot streak. Maybe this will do it.

The Mariners look like they are about to break the Tigers eight game streak. Need to get some momentum and move up the standings!

Brian26
Why does Bobby keep messing with us?

That's what closers not named Rivera are supposed to do.

balke
There we go Sox, keep it rollin. Great Job Danks. Great job starters this season. Jermaine Dye better bat .500 in June if he wants to be MVP calibur again.

chisoxfanatic
05-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Danks looks alot like Buehrle. His motion, his pitches and his mannerisms are strikingly similar. That can only be a good thing
Hawk mentioned that Buehrle's been his mentor since getting here. That's definitely a good thing! Having another Buehrle type will only bolster this pitching staff.

It's about time Danks got the run support he needed (getting 1.5 times the runs he's had backing him in the rest of his starts)! I truly am not feeling "iffy" about that elusive 5th starter spot right now. :bandance:

infohawk
05-09-2007, 09:46 PM
I would love to see a laugher where we're in control the entire way. My heart can't take this constant drama :(:
If I'm not mistaken, this was one of our bigger victory margins. We haven't blown anyone out yet. All our wins seem very hard-earned and a bit unsettling. I suppose that's what happens when you only score about three runs or so a game:(:

cheezheadsoxfan
05-09-2007, 09:49 PM
That's what closers not named Rivera are supposed to do.

Right now Rivera's stats suck, I'll stick with Bobby.:smile:

JB98
05-09-2007, 09:50 PM
This is the first game I did not watch this season. I decided to take a night off from the team because they have been making me too angry and too frustrated in recent games. I'm sure glad we won.

Danks was overdue. He should have had his first win three weeks ago.

Ozzie is overusing MacDougal. This is a guy with a history of injury problems, and I think he's pitched in five of the seven games on this trip.

JB98
05-09-2007, 09:51 PM
If I'm not mistaken, this was one of our bigger victory margins. We haven't blown anyone out yet. All our wins seem very hard-earned and a bit unsettling. I suppose that's what happens when you only score about three runs or so a game:(:

13 of our 15 wins have come by three runs or less.

Only two exceptions: 6-0 over Texas on 4/18 and 7-3 over LAA on 4/27.

Qdiddy
05-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I think we should skip Danks with all the days off we have coming up. Just to improve our chances of winning

MarySwiss
Hawk mentioned that Buehrle's been his mentor since getting here. That's definitely a good thing! Having another Buehrle type will only bolster this pitching staff.

It's about time Danks got the run support he needed (getting 1.5 times the runs he's had backing him in the rest of his starts)! I truly am not feeling "iffy" about that elusive 5th starter spot right now. :bandance:
Second that, Heather! Danks's record should be much better. Many of his pitches tonight were flat-out FILTHY!

Frater Perdurabo
Good win. The Danks trade really has worked out well. The offense also seems to be breaking out of its slump.

I think the Sox can win the division if the starting pitching stays consistent, and if the Sox hitters finish this season having reached their career norms for power and average.

When Pods, Thome and Hall come back, this team could be scary good.

NSSoxFan
Prediction: this thread will be lucky to get to six pages, with most of the posts complaining about Jenks, Macdougal, etc.

chisoxfanatic
05-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Second that, Heather! Danks's record should be much better. Many of his pitches tonight were flat-out FILTHY!
They truly were the "sit down and shut up" type of pitches! Danks did not blink ONCE! It's just a darn shame that the offense waited until nearly the middle of May to wake up for him.

Rob190
05-09-2007, 09:55 PM
This is the first game I did not watch this season. I decided to take a night off from the team because they have been making me too angry and too frustrated in recent games. I'm sure glad we won.

Danks was overdue. He should have had his first win three weeks ago.

Ozzie is overusing MacDougal. This is a guy with a history of injury problems, and I think he's pitched in five of the seven games on this trip.

I agree, but I think Ozzie is trying to get MacDougal to pitch his way out of his slump.

JB98
05-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Good win. The Danks trade really has worked out well. The offense also seems to be breaking out of its slump.

I think the Sox can win the division if the starting pitching stays consistent, and if the Sox hitters finish this season having reached their career norms for power and average.

When Pods, Thome and Hall come back, this team could be scary good.

Fingers crossed. I think we need all those guys healthy in order to win the division. Well, maybe we can get by without Hall. But we need Pods and Thome for damn sure.

If we can win tomorrow and salvage a .500 trip, that would be quite an accomplishment given the way things went in Seattle and the first night in Anaheim.

SoxxoS
05-09-2007, 09:57 PM
I think we should skip Danks with all the days off we have coming up. Just to improve our chances of winning

You are way off.

:tealpolice:

cheezheadsoxfan
Prediction: this thread will be lucky to get to six pages, with most of the posts complaining about Jenks, Macdougal, etc.

Lot of people too weak with relief to type.

JB98
I agree, but I think Ozzie is trying to get MacDougal to pitch his way out of his slump.

He probably wanted to get him back in the saddle after last night. Also, you don't want to crap away two games in a row in horrible fashion. So, you go with the best you have, and Mike is our best set-up righty.

My comment about Mac was more of a general remark than a criticism about Ozzie's handling of tonight's game.

slobes
05-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Finally Danks gets some offense. Good for him.

lostfan
05-09-2007, 10:01 PM
IMO the similarity between Danks and Buehrle is how Danks goes after hitters with the mentality of "I'm giving them what I got, and if they're hitting me they're hitting me, I'm still going after them." He doesn't do the pitching around stuff that Contreras does when he's not having his best day. Buehrle is like that too... straight up, no-nonsense pitching, doesn't get rattled when it's not working, just keep attacking.

Frontman
05-09-2007, 10:06 PM
It was great to see the Sox manufacture runs, and runs early. Yes, MacD looked bad....again, and Bobby now likes to make it....erm....interesting. But a W is a W, and I'm glad to see the team playing hard and getting a W for Danks.

Good Job for the guys in Black.

Jjav829
05-09-2007, 10:06 PM
Nice to see Sweeney get a big hit. I hope he gets hot and - if Ozzie does stick with Erstad in the leadoff role - takes over as the starting left fielder.

Congrats to Danks on his first of hopefully many wins in a White Sox uniform. :gulp:

Frontman
05-09-2007, 10:09 PM
IMO the similarity between Danks and Buehrle is how Danks goes after hitters with the mentality of "I'm giving them what I got, and if they're hitting me they're hitting me, I'm still going after them." He doesn't do the pitching around stuff that Contreras does when he's not having his best day. Buehrle is like that too... straight up, no-nonsense pitching, doesn't get rattled when it's not working, just keep attacking.

It just struck me. If the Sox are successful in re-signing the Buehrle-mon, we'll have two solid lefties in the rotation. That would just be plain awesome.

DickAllen72
05-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Danks really looks good. A lot of poise for a kid. Congratulations on his first win!:cheers:

And Logan did a good job with Morneau. :bandance:
Glad to see Sweeney continue to start in LF. This time the Sox might actually have a kid who belongs in the big leagues.

Let's win the series tomorrow!:gulp:

jdm2662
05-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Congrats John on your first win!

cleanwsox
05-09-2007, 10:33 PM
Great game! Can't beat $4 tickets and dollar dog night at the dump dome. Some fan got booted for doing or saying something to the Sox bullpen. Aardsma or one of them waved him goodbye. :smile:

Let's get the rubber game tomorrow!

:bandance:

Lip Man 1
05-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Congratulations to John on his first win...may he get many, many more.

Lip

Tragg
05-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Great win and nice to see Danks get a win.
Big out by Logan - Ozzie seems to really trust him.

Hitmen77
05-09-2007, 10:40 PM
Way to go Danks! He's been great this year and I'm glad the "1st ML win" monkey is off his back.

All 5 starters are looking very good. If they can keep it up, this club will do great things this summer.

JDub35
05-09-2007, 10:45 PM
I'm a bit surprised by the lack of love for Sweeney in this thread........He's the man! When is the last time BA had a two out basehit to drive in a pair? BA, HE GONE! Welcome aboard Sweeney.

Danks was awesome as well! :D:

SoxandtheCityTee
05-09-2007, 10:46 PM
To answer a question from the gamethread before it got closed:

The two runs that scored on the Hunter play are unearned. Hunter reached first on a hit and advanced to third on the throwing error by Uribe. The two runs scored on the throwing error, making them unearned (even though Hunter reached on a hit).

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

And now for the Farmio obsession with the Torii catch, also mentioned in the game thread. With repeated slo-mo viewings I see what he is conspiracy-theorizing. Camera very clearly shows the ball going into Hunter's glove as he leaps. As he lands, flat on his back and parallel to the bottom of the wall, he rolls to his left, to a position facing the wall. His glove is in front of him, between his body and the wall, so you cannot see whether/how hard his hand hits the wall. He rotates his body, still on the ground, moves and lifts the glove up, but it is closed tight and you cannot see any white in it. The other OF approach and one of them lifts the glove off Torii's hand, still closed, while Torii puts his other hand behind his back and grimaces as though maybe hurt. Cut to commecial.

Maybe the the MN broadcast showed another angle.

BanditJimmy
05-09-2007, 10:50 PM
It just struck me. If the Sox are successful in re-signing the Buehrle-mon, we'll have two solid lefties in the rotation. That would just be plain awesome.

Then you move Garland in the off-season and call up Gio.

That would be 3 awesome LH pitchers pitching here for the next 5 years.

ChicagoG19
05-09-2007, 10:51 PM
I'm a bit surprised by the lack of love for Sweeney in this thread........He's the man! When is the last time BA had a two out basehit to drive in a pair? BA, HE GONE! Welcome aboard Sweeney.

:bandance:Couldn't have said it better myself. Sweeney was clutch tonight and its about time we start scoring runs. Now lets take this series.

Although the lack of control from Macdougal worries me.

Blueprint1
05-09-2007, 10:52 PM

No thanks.

Hitmen77
05-09-2007, 10:54 PM

Interestingly, I read in either the Trib or Sun-Times today that Ozzie was leaning towards sending Sweeney back to AAA (over Terrero) when Thome comes back from the DL.

The way Sweeney has been playing, I'll be sorry to see him go. If he can keep it up, couldn't he be our starting LF until Pods comes back?

BanditJimmy
05-09-2007, 11:01 PM
No thanks.

So you rather have Garland over Buehrle next year and in the future?:?:

You have to get rid of a highly paid starter in order to re-sign Buehrle next season. It is between Garland or Contreras. Garland will net out the best return for us because of his age.

NDSox12
05-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Congrats to John on a well deserved win! The first of many, no doubt.

jabrch
05-09-2007, 11:21 PM

And Gio is en-route.

Actually, I think Gio and Danks will enable us to not pay 5/75 for Mark and let us spend the money on a SS, a 2B or a RF. I'd love to see Mark stay - but I don't believe it will happen given the depth we have of SP.

cws05champ
05-09-2007, 11:36 PM
I was nervous there in the 8th and 9th, but they pulled it out!!!:bandance: :bandance:

Congrats to Danks!!! Hope Macdougal can regain some control...he needs to use the FB a bit more, he is relying on his slider too much.

Sweeney looks good....Here's to him staying up and Tuerro going down when Thome comes back from the DL.

Nellie_Fox
05-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Second that, Heather! Danks's record should be much better. Many of his pitches tonight were flat-out FILTHY!I was watching the game on Fox Sports North (Twin Cities.) On one curveball he threw, Blyleven said something like "oh, man, look at that." A compliment on a curve coming from Blyleven means something.

Prediction: this thread will be lucky to get to six pages, with most of the posts complaining about Jenks, Macdougal, etc.The nightly comments on how many posts there are in the post-game thread are getting nearly as tiresome as attendance posts grew a couple of years ago. Give it a rest.

Blueprint1
05-09-2007, 11:38 PM

You have to get rid of a highly paid starter in order to re-sign Buehrle next season. It is between Garland or Contreras. Garland will net out the best return for us because of his age.

Why do we have to get rid of a highly paid starter?

JB98
05-09-2007, 11:40 PM
I was watching the game on Fox Sports North (Twin Cities.) On one curveball he threw, Blyleven said something like "oh, man, look at that." A compliment on a curve coming from Blyleven means something.

The nightly comments on how many posts there are in the post-game thread are getting nearly as tiresome as attendance posts grew a couple of years ago. Give it a rest.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to add another post just to try to get this thread up to six pages. Go Sox!!!!!

:supernana: :supernana:

jabrch
05-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Why do we have to get rid of a highly paid starter?

To get a highly paid SS or RF?

WhiteSox5187
05-09-2007, 11:43 PM

I'd really rather have both, truth be told I think Jose is going to wind up being the odd man out in this rotation.

Anyways, every win is a good win and this was a good one. To come back after that devestation loss last night and in the first inning put up four runs was HUGE. Danks was just nasty and the bullpen scared me, but here's the thing: MacDougal wasn't hit hard, Hawk hit the nail right on the head (and I don't agree with him often) pitchers sometimes get into grooves where everything that hit is hit at someone and other times everything that is hit finds a hole, the past couple of outings everything that has been hit off Mac has found a hole. Jenks scared the beejesus out of me with those two walks but once that tying run got to the plate he stepped it up a notch. I wonder if he's just one of those guys who's gonna be careless until the tying run comes to the plate and then all of a sudden it's like a lazer beam and nobody hits him. Oh well, he's getting the job done. But he might wind up being like Isringhausen (forgive my spelling) was last year. Let's get 'em tommorrow and then sweep KC.

Hey, where's Morneau?

kevingrt
05-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Only five page thread for a win, what is up? :)

JermaineDye05
05-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Angels beat the Indians, Sox gain a game.

DickAllen72
05-09-2007, 11:45 PM
:indianslose :winner :twinslose

WhiteSox5187
05-09-2007, 11:52 PM
Did the Tigers lose? They were getting beat last I saw.

hi im skot
05-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Missed the game tonight, but I'm really excited to hear that Danks was as solid as he was. Sweeney keeps up the good work, and it's another night of zero runs coming via the longball...I likey!

Congrats, John!

jabrch
05-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Did the Tigers lose? They were getting beat last I saw.

Yes they did!

fuzzy_patters
05-10-2007, 12:17 AM
It got a little hairy toward the end, but it was a good win just the same. There really isn't any such thing as a bad win as long as everyone stays healthy.

It was nice to see Danks bounce back after losing to the Twins earlier this year. I was curious to see how the rookie would do tonight since Morneau took him deep last time, but he looked really solid. The cutter upstairs was a thing of beauty and reminded me of Buehrle on the night when he threw his no-hitter. During the first few innings, I was actually starting to wonder if Danks was going to throw one, too.

One positive that hasn't been mentioned in this thread was that Paul Konerko looked much, much better at home plate. His hands appeared to be much quicker through the zone with his new stance, and I would not be surprised to see him heat up now. It would be nice to see him put the team on his back until Thome can get back. He is a good enough player to carry a team for awhile.

johnnyg83
05-10-2007, 01:07 AM
Nice to see two rookies in Danks and Sweeney have such a big part in it.

Personally, I'm salivatng about our pitching situation. History may judge differently, but as of today, Williams looks darn smart.

ShoelessJoeS
05-10-2007, 01:49 AM
Danks was money, just as all of our starting pitching this year.

It's always about the pitching, and it always has been. Good things are on the horizon ladies and gentlemen.

Brandon who????

Soxfanspcu11
05-10-2007, 03:10 AM
Nice to see they didn't let last night's ugliness affect them...:supernana:

This is really a GREAT POINT!!! A lot of times, people overlook this part of the game. Meaning, it's not really an official "stat" or anything like that, but really it should be. I understand that it would be next to impossible to really keep track of a stat like this, but it's importance is incredibly underestimated. After what happened to the Sox last night, it would have been very easy for them to just roll over and say, "Damn! We should have had game 1! Now we are screwed!!! Let's just go through the motions up here in Minnesota and get ready for the Kansas City series back home."

I have seen Sox teams in the past, as recently as 2003 under Moron Manuel, employ this approach.

If what happened to the Sox on Tuesday night had happened to the 2003 Sox, they would have been swept in Minnesota. Not only that, they probably would have lost the first 2 games of the Kansas City series as well. Meaning, it would take them at least 3-4 games to bounce back from that devastation.

Of course I HATED what happened to the Sox on Tuesday, but I LOVE how they responded. It really speaks to the character of not only the team, but the organization. You can really see a marked difference in this team when compared to Sox teams of the past. I really think that it is here to stay! At least, I hope and pray!

I agree with you, but not entirely.

His motion and mannerisms may be similar to Mark, but his pitching style isin't. At least IMHO.

Mark very rarely goes to his fastball. He seems to be much more confident in his other pitches. Specifically, his changeup and cutter. Where as Danks, seems to love his fastball, both 2 and 4 seam. Danks also seems to prefer throwing his slider a lot more than Mark as well.

Granted, I have only seen Danks pitch at the MLB level less than a dozen times (including SpringTraining), but that seems to be what he likes to do, so far.

Hitmen77
05-10-2007, 08:09 AM
The nightly comments on how many posts there are in the post-game thread are getting nearly as tiresome as attendance posts grew a couple of years ago. Give it a rest.

Thank you! I couldn't agree more.

Do we have to hear the same old griping about post counts 90 more times between now and October 1?

balke
05-10-2007, 08:10 AM
There was a young pitcher for Texas pitching against the Yankees last night, and they mentioned about how Danks Masset and that pitcher were 3 young pitchers who Texas was real high on and were going to come up in the future this time last year.
Right now, it almost feels wrong we got Danks for Mccarthy. Poor Texas, Danks has been awesome so far.

palehozenychicty
05-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Right now Rivera's stats suck, I'll stick with Bobby.:smile:

I'll stick with Bobby too, but Mariano is Mariano. In September, he'll be right there.

The Immigrant
05-10-2007, 08:49 AM
Was this the first game that Danks did not give up a HR? I thought he looked very impressive. It's hard to believe that someone his age has that kind of poise and physical presence.

itsnotrequired
05-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Was this the first game that Danks did not give up a HR? I thought he looked very impressive. It's hard to believe that someone his age has that kind of poise and physical presence.

He didn't give up a HR in that game against Detroit but did give up 4 runs and 9 hits over 6 innings.

palehozenychicty
05-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Way to go Danks! He's been great this year and I'm glad the "1st ML win" monkey is off his back.

All 5 starters are looking very good. If the hitting can heat up, this club will do great things this summer.

fixed it.

The Immigrant
05-10-2007, 09:13 AM
He didn't give up a HR in that game against Detroit but did give up 4 runs and 9 hits over 6 innings.

Right, and Uribe had absolutely nothing to do with that. Those runs are all on Danks.

pdimas
05-10-2007, 09:24 AM
Anyone notice how Danks was just getting the ball and throwing it. Just like Buerhle he wasn't wasting any time. I think pitching like that tremendously works in his favor. He was able to consistently get ahead of batters and then was able to jam them. It was really fun to watch. Then that curve ball....it was just a pretty cool thing to see. I like this kid more and more every time I see him pitch. The best part is he seems to be getting more and more comfortable and is trusting his stuff more and is just challenging the hitters. I respect a pitcher like that more than one that tries to nibble.

palehozenychicty
05-10-2007, 09:33 AM

I hope this doesn't happen. Garland is quite good.

spiffie
05-10-2007, 09:43 AM
I think the Sox are going to be in no hurry to rush Gio or any of the other starters up to the bigs as long as we have the current five under contract. Especially since Thome has a 13mm club option for 2009 that I would be surprised if they pick up. If they don't pick that up, you free up the cash for 09, so that really only one year has a huge hit:
07: Buehrle 9.5m, Contreras 9m, Garland 10m, Vazquez 12.5m, Danks .38m Total - 41.38 million
08: Buehrle 15m, Contreras 10m, Garland 12m, Vazquez 11.5m, Danks .5m Total - 49 million
09: Buehrle 15m, Contreras 10m, Garland 14m (contract extension), Vazquez 11.5m, Danks .75m Total - 51.25 million
10: Buehrle 15m, Garland 14m, Vazquez 11.5m, Danks 1m, Gonzalez .4m Total - 41.9 million
11: Buehrle 15m, Garland 14m, Danks 3m, Gonzalez .6m, Broadway .4m Total - 32.9 million

Figure in that 2008-2009 period that some of the other big salaries on the team will be slowly cycling out as Sweeney, Anderson, Owens, Fields, Valido, etc. take over major league roles, and the bullpen is full of young arms under our cheap control for years, and there's no reason that they can't do something like that going forward.

As for last night, I really like Sweeney. I'm going to miss him if he gets sent down. And Danks, Masset, Vasquez for McCarthy is the steal of the offseason.

Tragg
05-10-2007, 09:51 AM
This is really a GREAT POINT!!! A lot of times, people overlook this part of the game. Meaning, it's not really an official "stat" or anything like that, but really it should be. I understand that it would be next to impossible to really keep track of a stat like this, but it's importance is incredibly underestimated.
If I had to vote for one thing that Guillen does best as a manager, I'd vote for that - the team doesn't let bad stuff linger past 1 game into another.
Lamont's teams would go into a 7 game funk if they blew a game in the 9th inning.

Hitmen77
05-10-2007, 10:00 AM
I hope this doesn't happen. Garland is quite good.

If they do sign MB, I can see this happening. This would free up $12 million in salary and allow them to get possibly another Danks or Gio-type player in return. I'd prefer Spiffie's way of keeping both starters, but I'm not JR or KW.

palehozenychicty
05-10-2007, 10:00 AM
If I had to vote for one thing that Guillen does best as a manager, I'd vote for that - the team doesn't let bad stuff linger past 1 game into another.
Lamont's teams would go into a 7 game funk if they blew a game in the 9th inning.

Man, those teams were infuriating. :(:

hawkjt
05-10-2007, 10:07 AM
I think the Sox are going to be in no hurry to rush Gio or any of the other starters up to the bigs as long as we have the current five under contract. Especially since Thome has a 13mm club option for 2009 that I would be surprised if they pick up. If they don't pick that up, you free up the cash for 09, so that really only one year has a huge hit:
07: Buehrle 9.5m, Contreras 9m, Garland 10m, Vazquez 12.5m, Danks .38m Total - 41.38 million
08: Buehrle 15m, Contreras 10m, Garland 12m, Vazquez 11.5m, Danks .5m Total - 49 million
09: Buehrle 15m, Contreras 10m, Garland 14m (contract extension), Vazquez 11.5m, Danks .75m Total - 51.25 million
10: Buehrle 15m, Garland 14m, Vazquez 11.5m, Danks 1m, Gonzalez .4m Total - 41.9 million
11: Buehrle 15m, Garland 14m, Danks 3m, Gonzalez .6m, Broadway .4m Total - 32.9 million

Figure in that 2008-2009 period that some of the other big salaries on the team will be slowly cycling out as Sweeney, Anderson, Owens, Fields, Valido, etc. take over major league roles, and the bullpen is full of young arms under our cheap control for years, and there's no reason that they can't do something like that going forward.

As for last night, I really like Sweeney. I'm going to miss him if he gets sent down. And Danks, Masset, Vasquez for McCarthy is the steal of the offseason.

I like the way that kenny has set up the starting rotation for years to come.. everyone knows that having a long run of success is predicated on a stable starting rotation then filling in around them..your scenario looks positive for the next 4-5 years.. kenny can achieve his #1 goal.. remain contenders while we overhaul.. tough to do.. but if Sweeney and BA and fields can come thru the sox can do the atlanta deal.. and have a nice long run.

Personally, right now , I look forward to sweeney coming to the plate as much as anyone on the team.. at least he is a legit contact hitter and has a chance to take an outside pitch the opposite way.. I will be very disapointed if he is not allowed to handle leftfield at least vs right-handed pitchers until pods is back.. then lets see how he is doing.. he could look good in right field as early as next year if JD is too expensive.. love this kids presence.. was reading a column in the Des Moines register by the local marrioti type and he talked with the kids baseball academy guru in cedar rapids and he said that as early as 7 years old he could tell he was special.. I admit as a native of Iowa I am biased toward Ryan...have another big day today, natural-born baller,ryan sweeney....

Hitmen77
05-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1567741#post1567741)

All 5 starters are looking very good. If the hitting can heat up, this club will do great things this summer.

fixed it.

I absolutely agree. If the hitting can return to at least their career norms and the pitching (both starters and bullpen) continue to perform as they have been - the Sox will have a great season.

I think the key is to get all part of the team on track at the same time. Since the beginning of July last year, the problem with this team is that if the hitting was good, the pitching (either starters or relievers) lost the game. When we had great pitching, the hitting went comatose (remember those games in Boston last September), etc.