PDA

View Full Version : Series Ring

Number 9
05-09-2007, 07:31 PM
I have to share this story. I was at a AA ballgame in Manchester NH on Monday when an usher asked if I was a White Sox fan. My 1983 hat and World Series 2005 Champs fleece were giveaways, I guess. He told me that there was a Sox scout at the game the previous day and had his Series ring. Said it was very cool, and that if he saw him again he'd let me know. Needless to say I was a little excited to see the ring. Sure enough the usher tapped me on the shoulder in the 9th and pointed out the scout, who was waving towards me. The usher said he'd show me the ring after the game.
After the game the scout met me on the concourse and asked how a Sox fan ended up in New Hampshire. I gave the usual explanation that I was raised on the southside of Dover, NH. He laughed and then said, "This is what you've been waiting for your entire life" and placed the ring on my finger. (He put it on my pinky. He was not taking any chances that it wasn't coming off!) I was in shock. "Don't let it fall," he said. "Don't you worry," was my very nervous reply. Other than that I was speechless! My friend had a camera, with a long lens only so he had to step well back, which clogged up the concourse. Everyone, fans, other scouts, players who had been charting, but one (a national league scout for a team that hasn't won in awhile), waited while this speechless 46 year old posed like a silly school kid. I've seen pictures and replicas of championship rings before, especially the Pats' rings of late, but I have to say the Sox ring was very classy. Not gaudy at all. It was the coolest moment.
The scout was back at the next two games and came over the chat each day. What a great guy. He certainly made my year!

paciorek1983
05-09-2007, 07:37 PM
That's cool. Congrats!!:gulp:

CHISOXFAN13
05-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Very cool story!

Lip Man 1
05-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Number 9:

Believe me I was the same way at Billy Pierce's house last May when I saw his ring. It is amazing.

Lip

esbrechtel
05-09-2007, 10:46 PM
cool story and :welcome:

Law11
05-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Very cool story... attach or post the pic...

Mullet Master
05-10-2007, 09:14 AM
Very cool. It was great that he was outgoing and was willing to meet you and let you try on the ring. And very cool of the usher to make things happen for ya.