PDA

View Full Version : Pirates GM and Manager comment on the trade

Jerry_Manuel
03-27-2002, 06:53 PM
From the AP:

``He's (Matt) not a guy who's going to light up the radar gun, but he's smart and can throw his pitches for strikes,'' general manager Dave Littlefield said. ``I don't mean to suggest he compares to (Atlanta star) Greg Maddux, but his style and the way he moves the ball around remind you of him. He throws a lot of strikes.''

''(Marte's) command with his fastball was off this spring and his slider was flat,'' Pirates manager Lloyd McClendon said. ``I don't know if he was tired from pitching winter ball, but he certainly didn't have the same velocity he had at the end of last season.''

``There are a lot of teams looking for left-handed pitching,'' Littlefield said. ``Rather than getting $20,000 for losing him on waivers, we got a Triple-A pitcher who won 18 games. That's a no-brainer.''

Soxheads
03-27-2002, 07:01 PM
Hmm, The Bucs seem to think they've gotten a steal. I hope it isn't steal number two for them.

TimChamp
03-27-2002, 07:20 PM
What really pisses me off is the quote by the GM that they were going to waive him anyways!!! :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-27-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp
What really pisses me off is the quote by the GM that they were going to waive him anyways!!!

Yeah, this guy really knows how to hang some crepe. I would be careful about his objectivity. This is strictly for local consumption back in Pittsburgh. They need to fill seats in that brand-new mausoleum of theirs.

:gallas
"We set a record for walk up ticket sales last Saturday, Sox Fans!"
(Please don't ask me about season tickets).

RichH55
03-28-2002, 10:57 AM
Are we just looking for reasons to flog ourselves? What the hell is the Pirates GM supposed to say? That he just got suckered and thats its a deal he wishes he could have back? Taking the other GMs press clipings in any deal is foolhardy at best.....I'm not saying its a great trade, but it certainly isnt a steal for the Pirates just because their GM says so

Huisj
03-28-2002, 12:59 PM
who knows, i think that this kind of trade can't really be evaluated well until later. A few years back the sox had another young control pitcher named Pat Daneker. He had had a few good years in the minors, and was a fairly high rated prospect, but he's done absolutely nothing since then. Maybe Guerrier will turn out to be another coming of him, and won't ever work out for the Pirates. And maybe Marte will discover something super and become a decent left handed reliever for a while.

Then again, maybe Guerrier really will be a good pitcher and Marte will suck. . .

I think no one really knows what will happen because neither of these players have really proved themselves at the major league level yet.

hold2dibber
03-28-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
who knows, i think that this kind of trade can't really be evaluated well until later. A few years back the sox had another young control pitcher named Pat Daneker. He had had a few good years in the minors, and was a fairly high rated prospect, but he's done absolutely nothing since then. Maybe Guerrier will turn out to be another coming of him, and won't ever work out for the Pirates. And maybe Marte will discover something super and become a decent left handed reliever for a while.

Then again, maybe Guerrier really will be a good pitcher and Marte will suck. . .

I think no one really knows what will happen because neither of these players have really proved themselves at the major league level yet.

I agree, to a point. I mean, you never can really know whether a trade is good or bad until you see how the traded players perform down the road for their new teams. That said, you can evaluate whether the trade makes sense at the time it was made. And this one just doesn't make sense to me. I don't see what Marte is going to give us that Porzio wouldn't have. And Guerrier, despite not having "A" stuff, had pretty good stuff and has consistently shown he knows how to get batters (admittedly minor league batters) out. I know nothing about the infielder the Sox picked up in the deal, but it seems to me that they could have gotten Marte for less (maybe even for nothing if, as the Pirates GM suggests, he wasn't going to make the team anyway) or they could have gotten more for Guerrier.

duke of dorwood
03-28-2002, 01:32 PM
Oh boy, more velocity talk too. That will be fresh.