PDA

View Full Version : Just relax and enjoy this season..

tony1972
05-09-2007, 05:10 PM
I watched the game last night and saw the meltdown in the 8th and the 10th innings and was pretty upset after the game was over. This division is so competitive that there IS a chance we could finish 3rd or worse (I still have hope).

I figured...why be upset over something I have no control over? If the Sox don't make it..or are only a .500 team..why let it affect you from enjoying the games and the summer? What can any of us do if they lose? There's nothing we can do to make the team win.

Just go to the games..have fun at the games..drink a few beers and relax and have a good time. If the Sox are bad..don't let it ruin your summer.

Life is too short.....take it easy and try to have a good time...:gulp:

BanditJimmy
05-09-2007, 05:15 PM
I watched the game last night and saw the meltdown in the 8th and the 10th innings and was pretty upset after the game was over. This division is so competitive that there IS a chance we could finish 3rd or worse (I still have hope).

I figured...why be upset over something I have no control over? If the Sox don't make it..or are only a .500 team..why let it affect you from enjoying the games and the summer? What can any of us do if they lose? There's nothing we can do to make the team win.

Just go to the games..have fun at the games..drink a few beers and relax and have a good time. If the Sox are bad..don't let it ruin your summer.

Clark and Addison?

JB98
05-09-2007, 05:17 PM
If the Sox continue to lose, I will not enjoy the season.

Palpidious
05-09-2007, 05:18 PM

so by your logic if they actually win the world series again i shouldn't let it make my summer fun either?

GregO23
05-09-2007, 05:31 PM
No way when you have a team that could win the World series

cbotnyse
05-09-2007, 05:34 PM
I hear ya Tony. :cheers:

tony1972
05-09-2007, 05:37 PM
You're all right..if they lose this year..don't have any fun..mope...don't enjoy your kids and your family..be bitter...

Then one day when you're older.....you'll appreciate all the joy you missed in life...

All I'm saying is loosen up a little..

FedEx227
05-09-2007, 05:45 PM
But see, you're fusing message board with reality.

How many people from this board are seriously punching walls and moping after a Sox loss? Granted, I may get pissed but I don't let it ruin my day. I hope it's the same way for a majority of Sox fans, but its tough to say.

JB98
05-09-2007, 05:46 PM
You're all right..if they lose this year..don't have any fun..mope...don't enjoy your kids and your family..be bitter...

Then one day when you're older.....you'll appreciate all the joy you missed in life...

All I'm saying is loosen up a little..

Actually, I think I'm going to go ahead and mope and be bitter. Is that all right with you?

delben91
05-09-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm with you Tony.

Yes, of course I hate it when the Sox lose. Any true fan does. And I love it when they win.

That said, if the Sox finish fourth this year, that won't dictate my happiness or lack thereof with life in general. I think that's all Tony is trying to say. Some folks in the postgame thread definitely seem to be of the opinion that the Sox winning or losing is the focus of their day, every day, from April to October (and hopefully beyond). And anything else good or bad that happens in a given day is secondary.

Right now I'm job hunting. If I get a job in the middle of a horrible losing streak, I'm still going to be happy about getting a job. Just an example.

I follow the team as much as anyone, and I'm as big a fan as anyone, but a bad Sox team won't make me bitter about life in general.

soxwon
05-09-2007, 05:48 PM
If the Sox continue to lose, I will not enjoy the season.

My moods are dictated by the Sox, i was almost bawling after we blew it yesterday.
I was crabby all day today, The Sox are My Life.
I take it personally, i so want this team to win every game.
If we are a losing team, i cannot stand it, ill go insane.
Thats just me.

BanditJimmy
05-09-2007, 06:06 PM
My moods are dictated by the Sox, i was almost bawling after we blew it yesterday.
I was crabby all day today, The Sox are My Life.
I take it personally, i so want this team to win every game.
If we are a losing team, i cannot stand it, ill go insane.
Thats just me.

I am with you on this. We wait the entire Winter for this 162 game grind and becomes part of my every day life. I have a family and kids which are the most important thing to me but baseball and the White Sox come rigth there second and are a part of me every day. So when they struggle and play like crap, I become extremely bitter.

Dick Allen
05-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Unfortunately, after winning in 2005 (no, that wasn't unfortunate), and with the moves that KW has made, our expectations have been raised the last two seasons. At least for me, that makes it all the more upsetting when they lose games like last night.

Palpidious
05-09-2007, 07:02 PM
the one thing i get tired of more than anything on white sox message boards is when people tell others how they should act/feel. if ithey want to be angry they lost let them be angry. if they want to not care, let them not care. if they want to think everything is rainbows, let them think that too.

Lip Man 1
05-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Each fan has the right to follow the team in his or her own way. There is no one 'right' way to be a fan. To each his own.

I take losses personally VERY personally but at least I've stopped breaking doors (to which my wife is very grateful!)

For me, because I've been blessed to be in the media, very often I can just call up someone either with the organization or a former player and just talk, try to find out what the hell is going on. That's been a big help because this season so far has been tough.

Lip

Fuller_Schettman
05-09-2007, 11:05 PM
You can't really put so much on one lousy game. Seriously. I learned that in 2005. In order to get the most out of this crazy, trippy, loopy game Daddy-o, you gotta be able to slide with the tide. Yesterday's loss sucked. So we lost a game in Minnesota. Did anyone think we'd sweep them on the road this year?

See the forest for the trees. Then when October comes, you will be much better equipped to sweat the real bullets...

That's why I spend more time in The Parking Lot during the season than I do in the Clubhouse...

WhiteSox5187
05-09-2007, 11:51 PM
I like the quote that Paul O'Neill gave Joe Torre right before the 1996 World Series. Torre was telling the team "Hey, just relax and have fun out there" and O'Neill said "That's great, but let's face it, it's only fun if we win." I'm not going to say that baseball is EVERYTHING in my life, but it is a big factor, it serves as a pleasent distraction. At times it hurts like hell, but the great thing about being hurt by a loss is it makes a win so much better. Sometimes a Sox loss kinda spoils my day but the great thing is, tommorrow they play again. So even if they lose I'm upset by that for about what? Eight hours tops and most of that time I'm sleeping. It's fun though. It's fun to get upset at something so trivial and then you almost laugh about it thinking "IF this is all that's wrong in my life, I'm in good shape." That's what I was doing last night. I was upset for about fifteen minutes and then chuckled when I read some of the dumb things I posted here and looked forward to tommorrow.

eastchicagosoxfan
05-10-2007, 04:34 AM

That's always been my attitude. Baseball is sport/entertainment with a rich history. 1977 is a great example. The team came in third, but what a great summer at the ballpark. This year has been frustrating, but 2005's rarely happen. I agree, enjoy the games, and THE GAME, and I'll add... stay away from the Windsock, and the other talking heads. Enjoy the summer, and if you're lucky enough to have KW or Ozzie ask you for advice, give it, but don't expect them to come calling. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

IlliniSox4Life
05-10-2007, 05:09 AM
the one thing i get tired of more than anything on white sox message boards is when people tell others how they should act/feel. if ithey want to be angry they lost let them be angry. if they want to not care, let them not care. if they want to think everything is rainbows, let them think that too.

I love the hypocrisy.

Palpidious
05-10-2007, 05:33 AM
I love the hypocrisy.

i love the lack of comprehension and use of the english language. i think the word you were looking for was IRONY. to indulge you a bit. i was simply stating my opinion followed by the 3 mindsets i've encountered on various white sox message boards which are "The sky is falling" "Who cares about this season" & "It aint over till it's over" your attempt at being a smartass has failed :dtroll: Thank you. come again.

IlliniSox4Life
05-10-2007, 06:16 AM
i love the lack of comprehension and use of the english language. i think the word you were looking for was IRONY. to indulge you a bit. i was simply stating my opinion followed by the 3 mindsets i've encountered on various white sox message boards which are "The sky is falling" "Who cares about this season" & "It aint over till it's over" your attempt at being a smartass has failed :dtroll: Thank you. come again.

Listen, I wasn't trying to make this personal, just pointing out that you

1) Said you get tired of people telling others how to act/feel

and then you

2) Told others how to act.

Hypocrisy is the word I was looking for. Furthermore, I'm not one to care much about grammar, but since you brought up the use of English, I'll listen to your thoughts on the English language when you learn how to use it correctly.

mccoydp
05-10-2007, 07:57 AM
Listen, I wasn't trying to make this personal, just pointing out that you

1) Said you get tired of people telling others how to act/feel

and then you

2) Told others how to act.

Hypocrisy is the word I was looking for. Furthermore, I'm not one to care much about grammar, but since you brought up the use of English, I'll listen to your thoughts on the English language when you learn how to use it correctly.

Damn, beat me to that last part.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-10-2007, 08:26 AM
I skipped the postgame thread after Tuesday's loss but read it a day later and got some good laughs at the Twinkie trolls who showed up (you could set your watch by these guys).

Maybe we need a new color for suggestions so that people do not bristle at being told what to do ?

southside rocks
05-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Unfortunately, after winning in 2005 (no, that wasn't unfortunate), and with the moves that KW has made, our expectations have been raised the last two seasons. At least for me, that makes it all the more upsetting when they lose games like last night.

I'm in this group too. I've been a Sox fan for longer than a lot of posters here have been alive, and for so many, many years, we fans got used to mediocrity, and became adept at ignoring bad seasons.

When KW came into the picture, you could feel the change in the organization. We started to hope that the days of butthead managers were over. KW also seemed to reclaim Jerry Reinsdorf, in some ways; JR was a very adversarial figure to a lot of Sox fans for a lot of years.

Then 2005 happened, and it was beyond our imaginings. And the team was made up of good guys, it wasn't a group of bleeps like the old A's or Yankees teams.

Now, with a large part of the '05 team still here and with the same management attitude in place, we do have higher expectations. Mediocrity is an affront, now, when once it was the norm.

The Sox aren't my life, but they're a big part of my summer, and I'm going to enjoy my summer more if they play their best and stay in the race. I'd love for them to make the postseason and win the WS again.

tony1972
05-10-2007, 10:45 AM
I wasn't telling anyone how they should react..of course you have a right to react how you want..

I was just stating how short life is....personally...I have a friend who is terminally ill right now and I'm trying to provide a little perspective in life and wish people would enjoy things a little more before one day you realize it's too late..

but I'm sorry.....I can't believe some of the reactions to a simple posting..be unhappy and miserable if you chose...I won't make the mistake again..

voodoochile
05-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I wasn't telling anyone how they should react..of course you have a right to react how you want..

I was just stating how short life is....personally...I have a friend who is terminally ill right now and I'm trying to provide a little perspective in life and wish people would enjoy things a little more before one day you realize it's too late..

but I'm sorry.....I can't believe some of the reactions to a simple posting..be unhappy and miserable if you chose...I won't make the mistake again..

Hey, there are a lot of us who agree with you.

Given the sheer number of games in a baseball season - nearly one a day, letting your moods swing based on wins and losses can make for a volatile ride. It's early to boot. The Sox have some key members who are under performing or not playing at all. But, the team over all appears to have everything that is needed to make a run at the playoffs? Will it happen? Who knows? That's the beauty of this timeless game.

rwcescato
05-10-2007, 11:28 AM
But see, you're fusing message board with reality.

How many people from this board are seriously punching walls and moping after a Sox loss? Granted, I may get pissed but I don't let it ruin my day. I hope it's the same way for a majority of Sox fans, but its tough to say.
its a good thing i dont get to see to many games or my walls would have holes all over.

spiffie
05-10-2007, 11:37 AM
its a good thing i dont get to see to many games or my walls would have holes all over.
I'm already resigned to not getting my security deposit back in my apartment due to games like Tuesday night's debacle.

IlliniSox4Life
05-10-2007, 01:05 PM

Hey, there are a lot of us who agree with you.

Yup. Most people in the world only get slightly down when their team loses, and they feel great when they win. It's just that it takes a certain amount of initiative to make a post about something on a message board. The ones that don't let it bug them just don't post. The ones that get really upset do post because they feel stronger about it and want to vent. Occasionally even the calmest of fans just gets frustrated with a particular loss or win and posts about it too.

But your words are a good reminder for when one gets a little too tied to the team. There's more important things in life than baseball. I haven't found them yet, but I hear they are there.

PaulDrake
05-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Each fan has the right to follow the team in his or her own way. There is no one 'right' way to be a fan. To each his own.

I take losses personally VERY personally but at least I've stopped breaking doors (to which my wife is very grateful!) I agree, and I take them personally too. I don't break doors, but sometimes I let go a string of expletives that would make a sailor blush, and greatly displease my kind and patient wife. Sometimes I grab one of my dumbells ( a dumbell lifting his dumbell?) and do a superset until I'm exhausted. No other sport, and no other team has that effect on me, and at 56 I'm just as bad now as I was when I had the excuse of childhood.

PaulDrake
05-10-2007, 01:29 PM
I love the hypocrisy. I don't see any at all. Just an opinion that no one, including the thread starter should take offense to. I can't be the type of fan that tony1972 is either, but that's OK for tony and OK for me. Just about everyone here is some kind of diehard, and we all have our individual ways of coping with the ups and downs of rooting for the Sox.

PaulDrake
05-10-2007, 01:37 PM

but I'm sorry.....I can't believe some of the reactions to a simple posting..be unhappy and miserable if you chose...I won't make the mistake again.. This place can be tough sometimes, I've been knocked around a bit myself. Your post was OK, and I think most just wanted to react without bashing you. I know I did. Maybe if the Sox go on a 10 game winning streak moods will brighten. If we ever meet at a Sox game the first one's on me.

Hitmen77
05-10-2007, 02:27 PM

Geez tony, how dare you start a thread that puts things in perspective!

:angry:

:wink:

skottyj242
05-10-2007, 02:50 PM

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

ws05champs
05-10-2007, 05:13 PM
I have a friend who is terminally ill right now and I'm trying to provide a little perspective in life and wish people would enjoy things a little more before one day you realize it's too late..

I have a few things going on in my life of a similar level of seriousness. In order to get through them, I have to maintain my composure. With the Sox it is different. I can allow myself to become a stark raving lunatic when they lose and in so doing, blow off some steam and then have a good laugh afterwards. Having that kind of passion also allows me to experience a greater level of joy when they do win. This makes it worth it. I don't think I could be as passionate if I just let the losses roll off my back.

JB98
05-10-2007, 05:54 PM
I agree, and I take them personally too. I don't break doors, but sometimes I let go a string of expletives that would make a sailor blush, and greatly displease my kind and patient wife. Sometimes I grab one of my dumbells ( a dumbell lifting his dumbell?) and do a superset until I'm exhausted. No other sport, and no other team has that effect on me, and at 56 I'm just as bad now as I was when I had the excuse of childhood.

I'm in the same category with you. I HATE, HATE, HATE losing. HATE IT. Everyone around me knows just how much I hate to lose. I was that way playing ball as a youngster, and I'm still that way now as a fan. I can't change; that's just who I am.

It doesn't mean that I don't realize there are more important things in life than baseball. But it does mean that I'm going to be pissed for a couple hours after a loss.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-11-2007, 12:17 AM
I can't be the type of fan that tony1972 is either, but that's OK for tony and OK for me. Just about everyone here is some kind of diehard, and we all have our individual ways of coping with the ups and downs of rooting for the Sox.

Exactly. Tony1972 wasn't trying to boss anyone around, and neither was the poster who said let everyone be themselves. Sheesh.

We had a death in the family last October -- did that outrank the Sox not making the playoffs? Why bother asking? Things are what they are; there are huge differences among us though we share one big thing. If we can't post observations or thoughts there's realy no point to a message board.

MCHSoxFan
05-11-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm already resigned to not getting my security deposit back in my apartment due to games like Tuesday night's debacle.

:D:

I could NOT fall asleep that night. I was punching my bedm throwing my laundry bag all over the place, and just going crazy. However, my lease was just RESIGNED today!!!

chisox77
05-11-2007, 06:10 PM
The 2005 season now serves as a reference point for the White Sox . . . it is a blueprint on how to win it all.

All of us at WSI remember that season. We lived it, cherished it, and celebrated it. Naturally, our expectations are higher.

I think many Sox fans are still trying to adjust to life after the World Series, and how to treat every game. Things are different now, no doubt about it.

My opinion is that this team can be special. It has yet to put everything together. Most Sox teams that have won a division have done so by being frontrunners most of the way. This season looks to be different, though. I still think this team can finish strong, which is what matters most in a competitve division. I'm not sweating this part of the season yet, since the Sox have at least done enough to stay in position.

They have yet to play their best baseball. It could be a lot like the 1967 pennant chase, with the winner standing on the last day - hopefully, the White Sox will emerge this time.

:cool:

hi im skot
05-18-2007, 10:57 PM
Let's keep things in perspective, folks.

It's May, and the Sox are 4.5 games out of first place. Our bullpen, for the most part, has been solid, and our anemic offense hasn't completely killed us. It might even be on the verge of breaking out. Jermaine is close to getting back to where we expect him to be, and I like the odds of the rest of the lineup heating up soon.

Today was a tough loss, as we completely gave it away. MacDougal was, to put it mildly, horrible, and our defense certainly didn't help him out. However, Mac looked decent Thursday and was a huge part of our bullpent last year. Like our offense, he might be in a slump right now.

Stuff happens, and it's ridiculous to throw in the towel now.

So lighten up, sit back, relax, and strap it down. If you're giving up on this team now, so be it; more room on the bandwagon for the rest of us.

DieTrying79
05-19-2007, 02:51 AM

It's May, and the Sox are 4.5 games out of first place. Our bullpen, for the most part, has been solid, and our anemic offense hasn't completely killed us. It might even be on the verge of breaking out. Jermaine is close to getting back to where we expect him to be, and I like the odds of the rest of the lineup heating up soon.

Today was a tough loss, as we completely gave it away. MacDougal was, to put it mildly, horrible, and our defense certainly didn't help him out. However, Mac looked decent Thursday and was a huge part of our bullpent last year. Like our offense, he might be in a slump right now.

So lighten up, sit back, relax, and strap it down. If you're giving up on this team now, so be it; more room on the bandwagon for the rest of us.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

BanditJimmy
05-19-2007, 12:23 PM

I love when I am told to lighten up and relax.

Now I can just grab my surf board and head on out to the ocean to catch some waves. Anyone know where I can find the ocean here from Aurora? And someone let me know what the score of the game is when I get back.

If they win they win or if they lose they lose.

itsnotrequired
05-19-2007, 12:47 PM
I love when I am told to lighten up and relax.

Now I can just grab my surf board and head on out to the ocean to catch some waves. Anyone know where I can find the ocean here from Aurora? And someone let me know what the score of the game is when I get back.

If they win they win or if they lose they lose.

It is a suggestion, not an order. Feel free to live the dream of elevated blood pressure, broken TV remotes, apologies to family members for snapping at them, etc. I'll be hanging ten in the meantime.:peace:

MarySwiss
05-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm in this group too. I've been a Sox fan for longer than a lot of posters here have been alive, and for so many, many years, we fans got used to mediocrity, and became adept at ignoring bad seasons.

When KW came into the picture, you could feel the change in the organization. We started to hope that the days of butthead managers were over. KW also seemed to reclaim Jerry Reinsdorf, in some ways; JR was a very adversarial figure to a lot of Sox fans for a lot of years.

Then 2005 happened, and it was beyond our imaginings. And the team was made up of good guys, it wasn't a group of bleeps like the old A's or Yankees teams.

Now, with a large part of the '05 team still here and with the same management attitude in place, we do have higher expectations. Mediocrity is an affront, now, when once it was the norm.

The Sox aren't my life, but they're a big part of my summer, and I'm going to enjoy my summer more if they play their best and stay in the race. I'd love for them to make the postseason and win the WS again.

Well said! And I will go to my grave firm in my belief that the only reason St. Louis won the WS last year is because we took the second half of the season off and missed the playoffs. Purely a fluke!

hawkjt
05-19-2007, 01:18 PM
yea, the sox are a quality team and there is no real reason to be crazy about their season so far.. they will hit .. and the pitching is solid..

americans are dying in iraq everyday.. now that is depressing..

baseball is supposed to be fun, keep it in perspective.

Frontman
05-19-2007, 06:38 PM
It's only baseball.

We get joy out of winning, it annoys us/aggravates us in defeat. At the end of the day, the best part of it all is that baseball is about as American as it comes; and we have the freedom to cheer/boo/praise/complain about it without any sort of fear from someone coming and saying, "Think this way. Feel that way."

Baseball is all about the struggle towards greatness. It's the only game that being just above 30% successful throughout your career gets you into the Hall of Fame.

I for one won't let some losing baseball make me give up on this team, nor will I give up on rooting for the 2008 Sox if nothing comes out of this season.

I look at it this way. If Mark Buehrle gets his 100th win on Wednesday, a game I'm going to, I'll get to witness a career milestone. If not, and the Sox lose, I'm going with family and will enjoy a beer, a brat, and time with them.

Let's Go Go White Sox.

MySoxAreClean
05-19-2007, 06:46 PM
It's only baseball.

We get joy out of winning, it annoys us/aggravates us in defeat. At the end of the day, the best part of it all is that baseball is about as American as it comes; and we have the freedom to cheer/boo/praise/complain about it without any sort of fear from someone coming and saying, "Think this way. Feel that way."

Baseball is all about the struggle towards greatness. It's the only game that being just above 30% successful throughout your career gets you into the Hall of Fame.

I for one won't let some losing baseball make me give up on this team, nor will I give up on rooting for the 2008 Sox if nothing comes out of this season.

I look at it this way. If Mark Buehrle gets his 100th win on Wednesday, a game I'm going to, I'll get to witness a career milestone. If not, and the Sox lose, I'm going with family and will enjoy a beer, a brat, and time with them.

Let's Go Go White Sox.

Now That's What im talking about , Thru Thick and Thin

Frontman
05-19-2007, 10:12 PM
Now That's What im talking about , Thru Thick and Thin

Or as the Hawaiians would put it.

"Hang loose and suck 'em up!"

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/crede_joe0907.jpg (Joe that is.)

:D: