PDA

View Full Version : Rickey Henderson Proves He's an Idiot (Again)

RKMeibalane
05-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2865084&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines)

Wow. Just wow.

WizardsofOzzie
05-09-2007, 05:31 PM
He shoulda thrown it back

TDog
05-09-2007, 05:49 PM
He shoulda thrown it back

You beat me to it.

I would have given the ball to a kid, and I've never caught a foul ball. I'm sure Rickey Henderson has caught other foul balls at major league baseball games. He played more than 2,400 games in left field.

EndemicSox
05-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Screw that, I'm on Henderson's side on this one. He was nice enough to give the kid his autograph. Who the heck wants to be given a foul ball anyway? Catching it is the fun part...

EDIT: I've caught one foul ball, I'll gladly give away the next one.

Dibbs
05-09-2007, 07:13 PM
I don't buy this either. He said he has always wanted to catch a foul ball....why should he give it to a random kid?? He was nice enough to give away an autograph. His autograph is much more valuable than the ball anyway.

dickallen15
05-09-2007, 07:22 PM
As someone who has caught several balls at games and have given a few away, I find it quite ridiculous how parents get their kids to come up to you and ask for the ball, and then try to pressure you to give it to them by trying to get everyone around involved. I don't go out of my way to catch a ball. I don't knock over little kids or run over pregnant women just so I can have a souvenier, but if I catch a ball, why do I have to give it to a total stranger or come across as a total ass? Maybe I want to give it to my niece or nephew or a neighbor, or my friends' kid. Maybe I just want to keep it. I'm sorry, even though Rickey most likely has access to any amount of baseballs he wants, he's not obligated to give the ball away.

Frontman
05-09-2007, 07:48 PM
I can't say I blame him for wanting to keep it either. And he didn't seem to be a jerk to the kid, he gave him an autograph on another ball. Had he caught a second one, then didn't give it away, then yeah, jerk central. Otherwise, he's a fan just like the rest of us.

INSox56
05-09-2007, 08:03 PM
I agree....signing the other ball was good enough. Meanwhile, reading the things about him saying he wants to come back....it just makes him sound like a senile old man. LOL

Rockin Robin
05-09-2007, 09:20 PM
"Showing 'em I've still got good hands. The ball found me. I was so quick."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm sorry, but I looooove Rickey

IndianWhiteSox
05-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Screw that, I'm on Henderson's side on this one. He was nice enough to give the kid his autograph. Who the heck wants to be given a foul ball anyway? Catching it is the fun part...

EDIT: I've caught one foul ball, I'll gladly give away the next one.

Considering the fact that his autograph is worth more than that foul ball, he did the right thing.

HotelWhiteSox
05-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Haha, pretty funny. Honestly, if I catch my 1st foul ball, I'm keeping mine too, grow up and earn your own ;), but yeah, you wouldn't think it'd mean that much to a pro ball player

DoItForDanPasqua
05-09-2007, 10:50 PM
As someone who has caught several balls at games and have given a few away, I find it quite ridiculous how parents get their kids to come up to you and ask for the ball, and then try to pressure you to give it to them by trying to get everyone around involved. I don't go out of my way to catch a ball. I don't knock over little kids or run over pregnant women just so I can have a souvenier, but if I catch a ball, why do I have to give it to a total stranger or come across as a total ass? Maybe I want to give it to my niece or nephew or a neighbor, or my friends' kid. Maybe I just want to keep it. I'm sorry, even though Rickey most likely has access to any amount of baseballs he wants, he's not obligated to give the ball away.

I agree, the ball belongs to whoever was in the right place. It doesn't automatically have to be surrendered to some kid who begs you for it. If I were to catch a ball I might give it to a kid I know, but not some random one because idiots in the crowd are hassling me.

thomas35forever
05-09-2007, 10:51 PM
This reminds of that incident that happened in Texas a few years ago. Remember when that one kid got all those balls and bats because some jerk schootched him out of the way to get a foul?

jabrch
05-10-2007, 12:26 AM
Ricky is on the short list of greatest players I have ever seen. That said - give the foul ball to a kid.

WhiteSox5187
05-10-2007, 12:55 AM
I have never ever caught a foul ball, but if I did catch one and a kid was by me, I'm giving it to the kid. However, I don't think this is that big of a deal. If Ricky said "Hey kid, I want to keep this but I'll give you my autograph." I think that's a fair deal. Now if knocked the kid over to get to the ball, that's something else.

chitownhawkfan
05-10-2007, 01:32 AM
The only thing in the article that surprised me is his use of the first person. When did all this happen? I liked it better when he referred to himself as Ricky.

skobabe8
05-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Ricky's a dumbass. He said his whole life he wanted to catch a foul ball. Ok, he caught one! Now he has to bring it home and put it on his shelf? Along side all of his awards and hundreds of his meaningful game balls? *****. This guy is a tool. Give the damn ball away. I've never caught a foul ball, but every game I go to I look around my seat for a kid who is dressed in Sox gear just in case I might get one because he or she will get it.

Like that kid cares about Ricky's dumb autograph. He probably has no clue who he even is. If it were me, an official MLB baseball was much more valuable than some dope writing his name on my ball.

ChiSoxRowand
05-10-2007, 08:56 PM
If I was in his position I would have done the same thing. The kid still has a long time to catch one.

Madvora
05-11-2007, 09:48 AM
I don't get why these kids think they have the right to just go up ask expect something to be theirs all of a sudden. I guess this type of behavior is encouraged though.
I don't give a crap about catching a foul ball. It would be cool to do it, but it's just a ball, what am I going to do with it when I get home? I'd personally give it away, but I hate it when these kids think it's their right to get anything you have.

Uncle_Patrick
05-11-2007, 10:17 AM
If I was in his position I would have done the same thing. The kid still has a long time to catch one.
That was more or less my thinking. I've been to plenty of games and I didn't catch a foul ball until I was in my mid 20's and I haven't caught once since. These little kids have time.

lumpyspun
05-11-2007, 10:32 AM
If a parent really wants their kid to get a ball, they should show up to the park 2 hours early and have him get one during batting practice. It's almost impossible for a kid under 6 not to get a ball from a big leaguer during batting practice.

ElevenUp
05-11-2007, 11:18 AM
The kid already had another ball. I don't have any problem with him keeping the ball since the kid already had one.

IndianWhiteSox
05-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Ricky's a dumbass. He said his whole life he wanted to catch a foul ball. Ok, he caught one! Now he has to bring it home and put it on his shelf? Along side all of his awards and hundreds of his meaningful game balls? *****. This guy is a tool. Give the damn ball away. I've never caught a foul ball, but every game I go to I look around my seat for a kid who is dressed in Sox gear just in case I might get one because he or she will get it.

Like that kid cares about Ricky's dumb autograph. He probably has no clue who he even is. If it were me, an official MLB baseball was much more valuable than some dope writing his name on my ball.

Your right a singed baseball from a future hall of fame player is absolutely worthless.
:rolleyes:

Listen, I think the guy is a jerk-off in general, but isn't one of those reasons.

twentywontowin
05-11-2007, 11:53 AM

I had this happen to me. I caught a batting practice ball right in front of the Bullpen Bar railing, my first one, and it took me over twenty years to get. Little boy comes up to ask if he can have it, and I tell him "Sorry, it's my first one, I'm keeping it", in a polite manner.

Five minutes later, the kids mom is coming by and gives me an extremely rude "How come you didn't give my son the ball?" remark. Excuse me? I'm EXPECTED to give a baseball to your little brat kid? Hell no.

I told her "Because it's my first one and you're a (censored) rude (censored), now leave me alone."

The look on her face was priceless.

Rockin Robin
05-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Some people are taking Rickey waaaay too seriously...lighten up, folks