PDA

View Full Version : Sosa not satisfied with past glory

Jerry_Manuel
03-27-2002, 06:49 PM
I'm not sure what to make of this. Perhaps Cheeses, can translate.

Sosa not satisfied with past glory (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/ap/20020327/ap-cubs-hungrysosa.html)

FarWestChicago
03-27-2002, 07:05 PM
I hope cheeses can translate. I took a look at it and that was on piece of seriously pointless fluff. Do you think Nancy Armour got paid for writing that?

Jerry_Manuel
03-27-2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I hope cheeses can translate. I took a look at it and that was one piece of seriously pointless fluff. Do you think Nancy Armour got paid for writing that?

If she got paid for writing that, then all I have to say is, where do you sign up to be an AP writer?

FarWestChicago
03-27-2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

If she got paid for writing that, then all I have to say is, where do you sign up to be an AP writer? Yeah, why work if you can get paid for barfing on a keyboard? :D:

cheeses_h_rice
03-27-2002, 07:39 PM
Sorry, Jerry, but I can't help you here. This is one of the biggest puff pieces I've read during the offseason; is Nancy Armour on the Flubs' payroll? I honestly didn't see the point in this article except to stroke Sam-ME's ego and, um, show everyone how prepared he is for the upcoming season.

Personally, I get more baseball insight reading the daily episode of "Gil Thorp."

:shammy

I like comics.

Jerry_Manuel
03-27-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Sorry, Jerry, but I can't help you here.

This is worse then the Moron if you can't translate. Speaking of which the Sox horrible pitching article, should be coming along sometime soon.

cheeses_h_rice
03-27-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

This is worse then the Moron if you can't translate. Speaking of which the Sox horrible pitching article, should be coming along sometime soon.

I'm getting that feeling, too.

"Fresh from the debacle of ultra-bust Fat Boy Tub o' Goo David Wells, the White 'Smut' Sox Kiddie Corps have been putting up numbers to make Dow Jones himself jealous..."

etc. etc.

Cheryl
03-27-2002, 08:04 PM
This is a much fluffier article than that one in which Soso tells the reporter Ruth would be honored to buy his dinner.

I've been wondering since reading that one why anyone working for the Cubs would allow that one to be published. Maybe this one is to counteract any ill-will generated.

RKMeibalane
03-27-2002, 10:18 PM
It may be better for all of us if Sosa were not discussed on this board anymore. I'm sick of seeing his name here. This is a White Sox board, not a Cubs board. Sosa's name ruins the quality of this web-site.

foulkesfan11
03-28-2002, 09:12 AM
Sosa won't be happy until he finds his money that was stolen. Ha Ha Ha

irish rover
03-28-2002, 12:11 PM
"No one paid much attention to batting practice until
Sammy Sosa stepped into the cage."

pretty much sums up life at Wrigley too

Iwritecode
03-28-2002, 01:04 PM
I'll see what I can do...

MESA, Ariz. (AP) -- While players milled about the batting cage, a few dozen fans lined the rows of seats behind them, asking for autographs.

No one paid much attention to batting practice until Sammy Sosa stepped into the cage. But with the first THWACK! of his bat, everyone turned to watch.

As posted above, it's sounds like exactly what happens at Wrigley. Everyone puts there beer down and their cell phone on hold to watch Shammy bat. Did we expect anything less?

CRACK! One ball clanged off the batter's eye in center field.

CRACK! Another sailed over the left-field fence, sending fans running for the ball.

Yea, that must be real tough to do in BP...

The fans oohed and aahed, but the Chicago Cubs' star didn't react. He just dug in and got ready to swing again.

Shammy's used to being adored by now. He can ignore it and just keep swinging for the fences to keep his fans happy.

``I don't really feel satisfied with what I did last year,'' he said. ``I've just got to stay hungry. That's what makes me go out there and play hard every day. I don't want to lose that. The day that I lose that is the day I'm going to retire.

``And right now, I'm still hungry.''

Translation: I didn't win the homerun title or break the single-season record which is very important to me. Oh yeah, we missed the playoffs too. I guess if I ever quit hitting homeruns I want to be like Big Mac and retire (or at least say that I will so I can save face).

Sosa has put together one of the most impressive stretches by a hitter over the past four seasons. He's the first player to hit 60-plus homers three times, and he led the NL with 50 the fourth year.

He's done it while hitting .310 with a .662 slugging percentage. He also led the league with 160 RBIs and 146 runs scored last season.

Translation: Sosa has put up great numbers the past few years. Too bad that hasn't translated in more wins for the team...

And he's become a more savvy hitter, too. He lowered his strikeouts from 174 in 1997 to 153 last season while his walks climbed from 45 to 116.

He lowered his K total a whopping 21 K's!!! Just don't mind the fact that he's still WAY over 100 K's per season. He also started to walk more because opposing pitchers found that it's much easier to pitch to any other batter in the Cubs lineup.

But all of that is ancient history.

Translation: His K's will probably be back up and his walks down this year now that he has "protection" in the lineup he will be swinging for the fences even more...

``Whatever happened in the past, I'm not thinking about it. It's over,'' he said. ``I can't be thinking 1998, I can't be thinking 1999 or whatever it is. We're in the year 2002, and this is a new year.''

Translation: Yea, we've sucked for almost 100 years but this is our year!!! WOO HOO!

It's why he has a gym in his offseason home in Miami. While some other players take the winter off, Sosa works out and watches what he eats. When he comes to spring training, he's ready to play from the start.

Translation: These little pills that Shammy takes have him in great shape. The gym is for looks.

Oh yea, like no other guys in baseball work out in the off-season...

He puts in extra work with hitting coach Jeff Pentland. He's one of the game's most durable players, too, missing only two games last season.

Translation: Baylor was afraid to leave him out of the lineup because he was the Cubs only offense.

No game is meaningless for him, no matter what month it is. On Wednesday, he turned what probably would have been a double into a triple, hustling around the bases in a game that won't mean anything come Monday.

``He still wants to be the best,'' Cubs manager Don Baylor said. ``Watch him play spring training games. You can tell the way he runs out a single or double and how he plays. That's him. He plays one way.''

Translation: That's right! It doesn't matter if the Cubs are 20 games out at the end of September. Shammy will still want to play in every game and try and hit a zinger with every at bat because we all know how important personal stats are...

And at 33, he's not showing any signs of slowing down.

``I think so,'' Sosa said when asked if he's in the prime of his career. ``I've learned how to play the game because I never played the game when I was a kid. I started when I was 14 years old.

What does starting at 14 have anything to do with learning how to play? This quote confuses even me...

``I feel so confident right now. I feel like nothing is missing in me or in my body.''

missing from the rest of that quote: and even if anything was missing, I have these nice little pills to replace it.

The only thing Sosa lacks is a championship. A Cub since 1992, he's been to the playoffs just once. He didn't stay long, either, as the Cubs got swept by Atlanta in the first round in 1998.

The individual accolades he's piled up are nice, but he'd like a shiny World Series ring like Fred McGriff and Moises Alou -- the other two-thirds of Chicago's nasty 3-4-5 punch -- already have.

Yea yea, we already knew all this. Besides, what player doesn't want a WS ring?

``When you've got a good team, you cannot go out there and be selfish,'' Sosa said. ``You've got to be together with the team. And that's what I'm going to do this year.

``I've got to go out there every day and what happens happens.''

I'm not going to complain about my contract this year as to not distract the team again...

There's been talk he could break Barry Bonds' single-season home run mark -- remember that dustup earlier this month? -- and Sosa doesn't dismiss the possibility.

Sosa thinks he can hit 80 homeruns this year...

There's no question he can hit, and he's finally got the protection to make it possible. With McGriff and Alou hitting behind him, Sosa will certainly see better pitches than he has in years.

Walk Sosa, and McGriff and Alou are waiting for you.

Ignore the fact that these guys aren't getting any younger and are often injured...

``It doesn't mean just because I've got Freddie and Moises they're going to say, `Hey, look, Sammy, hit it,''' Sosa said. ``I'm going to have much better protection, but I still have to go out there and maintain my game.''

Translation: I don't care who hits behind me. I'm going to swing for the fences no matter what...

And for anyone wondering how Sosa could top what he's already done, Baylor just smiles.

``I wouldn't bet against him. How can you?'' Baylor said. ``He's done something no other player in the game has ever done, 60 three different times. How can you? That's what he expects from himself.''

Translation:I think Sammy can hit 80 zingers too...

Jerry_Manuel
03-28-2002, 01:12 PM
Nice job, Code.