PDA

View Full Version : Depth Chart of Sox Future

Lillian
05-09-2007, 01:24 PM
The current dilemma over this team's desperation to fill the two spots in the lineup, which have opened up due to the Thome and Pods injuries, brings up a larger question.
While no one could be expected to replace Thome's HOF power production, and tremendous On Base Percentage, it is a little troubling that the Sox don't seem to have a single prospect at the minor league level who is ready to step in and fill at least one of these two spots in the lineup.

I'm not suggesting that we should have anyone else capable of stealing 50 bases, but it seems reasonable to expect that someone in the organization who could get on base at a rate high enough to bat leadoff.

Perhaps this team is not as deep as we have thought. Our best position prospects are all outfielders. Sweeney, Fields, and Anderson are supposed to be our best young players. Two of them are pure outfielders, and the other has been considered a candidate to play left. It doesn't look like any of them are ready to contribute at the Major League level. I personally like Sweeney the best, but he is only 22, and will probably not be ready to make a significant contribution for another year or two.

It's even more troubling that there doesn't seem to be anyone on the 25 man roster who could do the job. The guy who could have adequately filled in as the DH was Gload. He would have given us a productive left handed bat, but that is water over the dam. We have a lot of pretty good bench players, but no one capable of really making a positive contribution.

I'd love to have a look at that Depth Chart Board in Kenny Williams' office.
Of the current roster of young players, who do you think projects to play in three or four years? Of course there are likely to be many trades and signings between now and then, nevertheless, who projects to be a potential starter?
I know that there are prospect rankings, but I'd like to know who you all think really has a chance to find a place, and contribute in the future.

Here are some possibilities:

Left Field Aaron Cunningham or Jerry Owens
Center Brian Anderson
Right Field Ryan Sweeney
Third Base Josh Fields
Short Roberto Valido
Second Andy Gonzales or Chris Getz
First ???????
Catcher Donny Lucy

Starters Gio Gonzales
John Danks
Jack Egbert or Lance Broadway
Adam Russell or Kris Honel
Charlie Haeger

Bullpen Nick Masset
Fernando Hernandez
Andrew Sisco
Dewon Day
Oneli Perez
Boone Logan

I like the pitchers, but the position players don't excite me much. How about you? Whom am I missing?

PaulDrake
05-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Is Kris Honel still pitching? The list looks pretty bleak to me. A contributor here and there, but no one to really get the heart racing.

BanditJimmy
05-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Position Players?

There is nothing down in the farm right now that knocks my shoes off.

EMachine10
05-09-2007, 02:28 PM
i'm excited about cunningham and lucy in a few years. I couldn't imagine a 25 man roster of all prospects/sox farm hands. That just doesn't happen. But a few of those players have a shot at being big time players, IMO.

delben91
05-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Bullpen Nick Masset
Fernando Hernandez
Andrew Sisco
Dewon Day
Oneli Perez
Boone Logan

I like the pitchers, but the position players don't excite me much. How about you? Whom am I missing?

No Jenks?

Daver
05-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Micah Schnurstein is a possibility at third or second, competent fielder, good spray hitter, no power to speak of though.

skobabe8
05-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Rogowski?

Daver
05-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Rogowski?

A first baseman with no power?

Lillian
05-10-2007, 06:20 PM
No Jenks?

Yes, of course. I was looking primarily at the farm system, although I did include some young guys like Sisco and Danks, so Jenks should be on the list.

whitesoxruleguy
05-10-2007, 08:46 PM
No Jenks?

He'll have died by that time from excessive obesity.

PAPChiSox729
05-10-2007, 08:49 PM
He'll have died by that time from excessive obesity.

:?:

C.C. is still kickin'....

FarWestChicago
05-10-2007, 08:53 PM
He'll have died by that time from excessive obesity.At least you won't be around to discuss it, asshat.