PDA

View Full Version : The Bonds countdown begins

Fenway
05-09-2007, 10:21 AM
10 to go

This will be the baseball story for the next month as Bonds closes in. I don't think anybody expected this kind of start from him.

There is only one way this can be stopped and that is if the US Attorney in SF indicts Bonds....at which point his contract with the Giants becomes void.

It could really be ugly as Bonds comes east twice in the next 5 weeks.....end of May to Shea and Philadelphia, and then mid-June at Fenway.

America waited as long as it dared to start the Barry Bonds Cirque du Punditry, but it apparently can wait no longer.
In other words, the Warriors' ability to distract the nation is beginning to wane. Playing night games in Salt Lake City apparently will do that to an East Coast-centric country.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/05/09/SPG5APNMH31.DTL

and the columnist blames the Red Sox

But you knew it would come back to Bonds eventually. You might have thought it wouldn't really get heated until he got his homer total to 750, which given the number of times he is likely to be walked in the next few weeks, might take him to the start of June. But no, the Summer of Weird is upon us already, courtesy of the damned Red Sox.

IndianWhiteSox
05-09-2007, 10:23 AM
10 to go

This will be the baseball story for the next month as Bonds closes in. I don't think anybody expected this kind of start from him.

There is only one way this can be stopped and that is if the US Attorney in SF indicts Bonds....at which point his contract with the Giants becomes void.

It could really be ugly as Bonds comes east twice in the next 5 weeks.....end of May to Shea and Philadelphia, and then mid-June at Fenway.

[quote][

America waited as long as it dared to start the Barry Bonds Cirque du Punditry, but it apparently can wait no longer.
In other words, the Warriors' ability to distract the nation is beginning to wane. Playing night games in Salt Lake City apparently will do that to an East Coast-centric country. /QUOTE]

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/05/09/SPG5APNMH31.DTL

Games 3 and 4 are in the BAY AREA, but back to Bonds, this can all end if every pitcher starts throwing at him or every ump can pull a Big Klu on them, calling time during a HR.

skottyj242
05-09-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm willing to bet he'll do it at home.

VenturaFan23
05-09-2007, 11:00 AM
You know he's going to do everything in his power to make sure he breaks it at home :angry: . I'm anxious to see what kind of reception he gets in Philly. Normally I despise the behavior of Philadelphia fans, but I'll be 100% behind them when that science project heads out there.

Fenway
05-09-2007, 11:04 AM
You know he's going to do everything in his power to make sure he breaks it at home :angry: . I'm anxious to see what kind of reception he gets in Philly. Normally I despise the behavior of Philadelphia fans, but I'll be 100% behind them when that science project heads out there.

this is what they did last year

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/tom_verducci/05/09/bonds.bonds/tx_sign.jpg
http://www.deadspin.com/images/2006/05/asterisk.jpg

Fenway
05-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Jerry Remy isn't happy about Bonds either

ďI agree with what Ortiz says, you can take all the stuff you want in the world and itís not going to help you hit the baseball, but when you do hit it, itís going to help you hit it farther.

ďOn the other hand, Iím having a difficult time with this. Iím not excited by it at all, which is a shame because I love the game of baseball. I love to see records broken, but itís who it is. ďAnd I guess itís playing well in San Francisco, but I donít know if thereís any place else in the country where it is. And I think thatís very sad. And I think heís brought that all upon himself. Not only with the steroid thing hanging over his head, but the fact that heís not been a very nice person throughout his major league career and heís impossible to talk to. I donít think heís very popular with players at all."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/05/a_giant_story.html

and

In todayís Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_5527614,00.html), Bernie Lincicome comments on the recent poll conducted by ABC-ESPN. ďBonds has wasted a whole lot of energy and years building his image as a self-absorbed jerk just to have it dismissed as a racial consideration.,Ē writes Lincicome. ďTo think that Bonds could have spent his career being pleasant and agreeable - as, oh, Tony Gwynn was or as Alex Rodriguez is - and still have his legacy defined by race is as silly as it is beside the point.Ē

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-09-2007, 11:42 AM
I hate Bonds like most everyone else, but for whatever reason, I want to see him break the record. I guess I just enjoy seeing records get broken, especially one that has been held for 33 years now. Bonds as the all time home run leader would be one of the great controversies in sports history, and it seems sports in general thrive under controversy.

cheeses_h_rice
05-09-2007, 12:34 PM
I hate Bonds like most everyone else, but for whatever reason, I want to see him break the record. I guess I just enjoy seeing records get broken, especially one that has been held for 33 years now. Bonds as the all time home run leader would be one of the great controversies in sports history, and it seems sports in general thrive under controversy.

You sound like one helluva fan of the game...

:rolleyes:

skottyj242
05-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Has anyone seen any of his homers live? I wanna say he hit two a couple of years ago when he played at Comiskey. I had had a couple.

cheeses_h_rice
05-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Has anyone seen any of his homers live? I wanna say he hit two a couple of years ago when he played at Comiskey. I had had a couple.

I saw Bartolo Colon strike Bonds out his first 3 ABs in a June 2003 game, and then jack one off him in the 9th (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200306120.shtml). It was a monster shot. Then Rich Aurilia hit a grand slam off Marte to win the game for the Giants. Some really fond 2003 memories I have.

balke
05-09-2007, 12:47 PM
[/COLOR][/URL], Bernie Lincicome comments on the recent poll conducted by ABC-ESPN. ďBonds has wasted a whole lot of energy and years building his image as a self-absorbed jerk just to have it dismissed as a racial consideration.,Ē writes Lincicome. ďTo think that Bonds could have spent his career being pleasant and agreeable - as, oh, Tony Gwynn was or as Alex Rodriguez is - and still have his legacy defined by race is as silly as it is beside the point.Ē

That poll angers me to no end. The poll itself is a form of racism, only showing results of whites and blacks.

I'm not cheering for him, it doesn't seem special. He won't get the true prize of breaking the record, which is ultimate respect and praise. Legendary status will escape him.

I personally do recognize the significance of what he's done though. That high an OBP., that many HR's in a season, that many SB's. Couldn't have happened to a less deserving guy.

Let's see if he lays down the bat just before tying Aaron, as he's boasted he would do in the past.

Jerko
05-09-2007, 12:47 PM
I saw Bartolo Colon strike Bonds out his first 3 ABs in a June 2003 game, and then jack one off him in the 9th (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA200306120.shtml). It was a monster shot. Then Rich Aurilia hit a grand slam off Marte to win the game for the Giants. Some really fond 2003 memories I have.

That game still pisses me off.

skottyj242
05-09-2007, 12:49 PM

Yes, that was the game I was thinking of. The guy that sat next to us that season brought his camcorder and we watched the replay a few times. I think that ball just landed.

twentywontowin
05-09-2007, 12:55 PM
You sound like one helluva fan of the game...

I guess other people's opinions aren't allowed and respected here.

cheeses_h_rice
According to the CBS Barroid Home Run Tracker (http://sportsline.com/mlb/bondstracker/bondslog), Bonds has hit homers off the following Sox pitchers:

06/10/2003
Jon Garland

06/11/2003
Mark Buehrle

06/12/2003
Bartolo Colon

cheeses_h_rice

You mean like mine?

nwINsoxfan
05-09-2007, 12:57 PM
bonds is on pace for like 55+ homers right now. I'd love to see him hit 50+...i'd love to see the media's excuse this time....hate him or not, he is the best ball player we've seen in the past 20 years..... 7 mvps (next closest has 3), multiple gold gloves.....500+ stolen bases.....

SOXPHILE
05-09-2007, 01:06 PM

Really ? Every single homerun he's hit in the last 6 years + is a farce. He accomplished them by cheating. He admitted he took steroids /HGH in GRAND JURY TESTIMONY. Look at a picture of from 10 years ago, and one of him taken in the last few years. It's not a debate or a controversy. HE CHEATED. But you want to see him break the record because you just enjoy seeing records get broken ? If that's the case, then you are a bad baseball fan. You care more about some circus act trashing & tarnishing long standing, traditional records, just because "sports in general thrive under controversy".

nwINsoxfan
05-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Really ? Every single homerun he's hit in the last 6 years + is a farce. He accomplished them by cheating. He admitted he took steroids /HGH in GRAND JURY TESTIMONY. Look at a picture of from 10 years ago, and one of him taken in the last few years. It's not a debate or a controversy. HE CHEATED. But you want to see him break the record because you just enjoy seeing records get broken ? If that's the case, then you are a bad baseball fan. You care more about some circus act trashing & tarnishing long standing, traditional records, just because "sports in general thrive under controversy".

oh boy.....farce huh??

1. tell me how its cheating
2. steroids were available to athletes since the early 60s.....how do you know hank wasn't on anything?
3. should babe ruths records have an *...i mean, he was almost cheating at yankee stadium. you do know that right field in his day was less that 300 feet to the fence.

jenn2080
05-09-2007, 01:23 PM

Thta was awesome and he deserves it.

jenn2080
05-09-2007, 01:25 PM

**** him and his record. Someone deserves that record like Thome, not douche bag Bonds.

PaulDrake
05-09-2007, 02:10 PM
oh boy.....farce huh??

2. steroids were available to athletes since the early 60s.....how do you know hank wasn't on anything?
3. should babe ruths records have an *...i mean, he was almost cheating at yankee stadium. you do know that right field in his day was less that 300 feet to the fence. I usually go out of my way to be nice, message board culture being rough to say the least. This is beyond ridiculous. Take a look at Hank, at any point in his career. Take a look at the young Barry, then take a look at the android posing as Barry since 1998 or so. If you want to love Mr. Bonds and all he stands for, that's your choice. Just don't sully those that came before him, and make yourself look like a ... a not so smart person.

nwINsoxfan
05-09-2007, 02:46 PM
I usually go out of my way to be nice, message board culture being rough to say the least. This is beyond ridiculous. Take a look at Hank, at any point in his career. Take a look at the young Barry, then take a look at the android posing as Barry since 1998 or so. If you want to love Mr. Bonds and all he stands for, that's your choice. Just don't sully those that came before him, and make yourself look like a ... a not so smart person.

never said i loved him, PaulDrake. i'd love to know how that makes me look like a " ... a not so smart person.". it's because you can't answer those questions so you have to delve in making me, someone who makes 3 legit points, look like a " a not so smart person." too many people here are naive to think that only baseball players from the late 90s to 2000s are the only one's who were "cheating".

lumpyspun
05-09-2007, 03:24 PM
it's because you can't answer those questions so you have to delve in making me, someone who makes 3 legit points

Two of your "points" are questions. So, I'm not sure how they are points.

Your third one is just ridiculous. Center and Right Center Field fences at Yankee Stadium when Babe Ruth was playing were 490 and 425, respectively. Yes, the RF line was 295, but it's only like 315 today. So it was probably much harder to hit homers in Yankee Stadium when Babe Ruth was playing.

nwINsoxfan
05-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Two of your "points" are questions. So, I'm not sure how they are points.

Your third one is just ridiculous. Center and Right Center Field fences at Yankee Stadium when Babe Ruth was playing were 490 and 425, respectively. Yes, the RF line was 295, but it's only like 315 today. So it was probably much harder to hit homers in Yankee Stadium when Babe Ruth was playing.

Didn't know we were talking about proper written english, especially on a message board.

my "points" are.....

1. steroids have been available since the early 60s, explain how you know athletes in the 60s, 70s, 80s weren't on anything. (and you do know all steroids don't make you get big so you can throw that out)

2. if steroids are cheating, isn't working out hard, taking tons of supplements, having incredible genetics, wearing contacts to help you see better, etc cheating as well?? steroids weren't tested for.

you can't compare the eras of baseball regardless. put someone like pujols, bonds, arod etc back in the 30s and they'd destroy records back then. there were different ball parks, different equipment, pitchers didn't pitch the same, etc.

MisterB
05-09-2007, 04:14 PM
1. We don't know if players as far back as the 60's were using steroids. We DO know that Bonds took them. He said so himself.

2. If you can't see the difference between using an illegal chemical to give you a physical advantage and using good nutrition and hard work to do so, then I guess there's no point in discussing ethics.

twentywontowin
05-09-2007, 04:36 PM
You mean like mine?

You attacked his personal opinion first. I didn't know yours meant more than anyone elses.

Anyways, I do think Bonds will work it to where he will break it at home. I can't imagine the fallout of him breaking it on the road.

Frontman
05-09-2007, 06:41 PM
oh boy.....farce huh??

3. should babe ruths records have an *...i mean, he was almost cheating at yankee stadium. you do know that right field in his day was less that 300 feet to the fence.

1. It is. Unless you allow every player to take steroids and condone it, its cheating. It's also illegal (ie against the law. Just because he feels he's above scrutiny doesn't mean he's above the law) to have and use perscription steroids WITHOUT A PERSCRIPTION. Don't give me "It isn't against baseball rules" as the last time I checked, murder and kidnapping isn't against baseball rules as well. If the White Sox wanted to avoid ever batting against Johan Santana, just kill him/kidnap him; as "It isn't against the rules of baseball." And hence, using the "it isn't against baseball's rules, so its ok" argument, murder should be ok as well. Do you think THAT would be fair? Ok, maybe that's a bit too far, but how about a Nancy Kerrigan-type attack in the locker room against the starting pitcher? I don't see that anywhere in baseball's rules, (which cannot be reproduced without written permission of Major League Baseball. Figured I might cover my rear on that.)

2. Steroids have been available far longer than that, I believe players even in the early 20th century used stuff. (Keith Olbermann was talking about it yesterday, I forgot the name of the player he mentioned.) So try again instead of "How do you know so and so wasn't on something."
Barry ADMITTED UNDER OATH (figured I'd make it big so you read it) that he took steroids. He admitted that he was on performance enhancing drugs.

3. ALL ballparks have different sizes. That's a pretty weak sauce argument.

Look, he cheated. Sadly, this record will stand, as baseball doesn't "rewrite" history, even looking back at evidence of tampering. Sportswriters, the public at large, all laughed as we watched Sham-E go from a skinny runt to a thick framed beast and Mark McGuire go from a smooth faced kid to a giant man with acne in his late 30's; all the while doing the airquotes when we mentioned they "worked out." We as a fandom allowed this to happen, and sadly, unless Bonds is brought up on charges within the next 3 weeks, he'll surpass Aaron.

my "points" are.....

1. steroids have been available since the early 60s, explain how you know athletes in the 60s, 70s, 80s weren't on anything. (and you do know all steroids don't make you get big so you can throw that out)

2. if steroids are cheating, isn't working out hard, taking tons of supplements, having incredible genetics, wearing contacts to help you see better, etc cheating as well?? steroids weren't tested for.

Then you're points are weak. Sorry, but wearing contacts and shooting horse testosterone into your rear isn't the same. Nor is it to have any sort of medical assistance. By your broad brush definition, Ron Santo was a cheater, as without insulin, he wouldn't be able to live, much less play baseball.

mwc44
05-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Didn't know we were talking about proper written english, especially on a message board...

Just wait till the WSI professors see that statement. Hold on to your newbie hiney, my friend! :redneck

btw... :welcome:

PKalltheway
05-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Has anyone seen any of his homers live?
I saw him homer here in Cincy last year off of Aaron Harang. It was a Labor Day game IIRC.

PKalltheway
05-09-2007, 09:51 PM
I hate looking back on 2003 as well because of the Sox's collapse, but I'll give the Sox a mulligan on that particular game because in my opinion, the Giants were a better team than the Sox that year.

I remember that homer quite well though, he absolutely crushed that ball.

getonbckthr
05-09-2007, 09:56 PM
GO BARRY GO. I can't wait til he breaks it because it will be a nice gift to Buddy Boy for the appreciation of how he ran baseball.

gobears1987
05-09-2007, 10:00 PM
:threadsucks
That about sums up my thoughts on the "record"

Jjav829
05-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Let me know when the countdown begins to Barroid's retirement and then I'll start caring...

Rowandws33
05-09-2007, 11:19 PM
hank will still be the true record holder.

FireMariotti
05-10-2007, 03:16 AM
I hope he breaks the record just so people will stop talking about this crap. How long has ESPN had that lame "Chasing Aaron" ticker? 2-3 years?

It's just a record, no matter how revered it is. I'm not going to lose sleep over some supposed cheater/jackass holding it.

I always hear people arguing about how Bonds holding the record is bad for baseball. Really? Are you going to stop watching and going to games when he hits 756? I'll still be at the park.

Frontman
05-10-2007, 07:04 AM
I always hear people arguing about how Bonds holding the record is bad for baseball. Really? Are you going to stop watching and going to games when he hits 756? I'll still be at the park.

That's a very valid point, FM. I certainly won't turn away from the game, although I will make records feel a bit more meaningless. I do like how the teams/ESPN/MLB are trying to feature more of the career milestones this year. I know I've seen on ESPN on a few different occasions who is going after their 400 and 500 homers. (Come on Jim Thome!)

IlliniSox4Life
05-10-2007, 07:18 AM
I am going to be in LA from the 22nd-29th. Should I get tickets to his last game of that home stand on the 27th? (I can drive from LA to San Fran) It's 16 games away, what are the odds he hits 10 HR in 16 games? Not good?

I dislike Barry, but like it or not, it's baseball history and it would be something to say I saw live.

Also, there's the chance that I catch the ball and then tell him I will give it to him free of charge if he publicly admits to taking steroids and apologizes to the game and its' fans. Since he wouldn't do it, I'd then offer to sell it to him for 5 million.

Fenway
05-10-2007, 08:17 AM
NESN's blogger sums it up nicely

The hallucinogenic nature of Haight-Ashbury has apparently trickled its way down the hills toward the San Francisco Bay and enveloped Pac Bell Park, where thousands of clueless wonders take pride in calling themselves the sole supporters of Bondsís joyless assault on Hank Aaronís hallowed record.

http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2007/05/09/delusions_of_grandeur/index.html

wdelaney72
05-10-2007, 08:30 AM
I hope he breaks the record just so people will stop talking about this crap. How long has ESPN had that lame "Chasing Aaron" ticker? 2-3 years?

It's just a record, no matter how revered it is. I'm not going to lose sleep over some supposed cheater/jackass holding it.

This is kind of where I'm at... I just don't care anymore... Whatever happen with his tax evasion and purgery charges? Is he still under investigation or on trial?

daveeym
05-10-2007, 08:44 AM
This is kind of where I'm at... I just don't care anymore... Whatever happen with his tax evasion and purgery charges? Is he still under investigation or on trial?
I'm the same way. Hoping the feds can blow the entire situation up, either by charging him or just bringing it out in public. Other than that I just don't care.

SOXPHILE
05-10-2007, 11:01 AM
If there's a God in heaven, the indictment(s) will come down and warrants will be issued for Bonds; federal agents will go arrest him right in the middle of a game. Just walk right on out to left field where he's standing, and take him off the field in handcuffs. I would like very much to see that....

Frontman
05-10-2007, 06:06 PM
If there's a God in heaven, the indictment(s) will come down and warrants will be issued for Bonds; federal agents will go arrest him right in the middle of a game. Just walk right on out to left field where he's standing, and take him off the field in handcuffs. I would like very much to see that....

Or a black Cadillac with tinted windows comes in from the outfield, men in black jump out and grab Bonds, and we never see him again.

CubsfansareDRUNK
05-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Or a black Cadillac with tinted windows comes in from the outfield, men in black jump out and grab Bonds, and we never see him again.

Or just as he's hitting the record-tying homer, a CIA agent shoots the ball with a rocket launcher from an airplane.

Then what you said happens :)

cbotnyse
05-10-2007, 07:06 PM
I have a serious question. The drugs that Bonds allegedly took were not banned by MLB, but were they illegal substances according to US law?

cheeses_h_rice
05-10-2007, 07:55 PM
I have a serious question. The drugs that Bonds allegedly took were not banned by MLB, but were they illegal substances according to US law?

Yes.

Frontman
05-10-2007, 08:43 PM

Yes, they were illegal according to the law. Hence my diatribe about "It wasn't against baseball's rules." Baseball doesn't have any rules against just about EVERY law of the land. No formal rules system governing a professional sporting competition will list out things that are against US Law. (IE you can't kidnap your opponent's starting pitcher so he misses his spot in the rotation.) Common sense dictates MLB shouldn't have to say "Don't use illegal drugs," but now it has to, since players decided to ignore US law, and go by MLB "law."

RadioheadRocks
05-10-2007, 09:56 PM

Lest we forget...
http://cache.deadspin.com/images/2006/04/assinjection.jpg

PeteWard
05-11-2007, 03:14 AM

They are allowed but if they are that stupid, please tell me why they should be respected.

Max Power
05-11-2007, 10:17 AM

I was at the game the night before when Bonds hit a monster shot off Buehrle. I think it landed halfway up the section beyond the Bullpen Sports Bar. My seats were 2nd row between the Sox on-deck circle and home plate (best seats I've ever had by far) so at least I had a nice view of it. That put the Giants up 8-0 in the 5th (they won 11-4). Ah... 2003.

Fenway
05-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I have only seen one Bonds homer live but it was memorable as it landed 3/4 up in the third deck at Yankee Stadium 4 years ago.

skottyj242
05-11-2007, 12:29 PM
I hope he does it and does it soon and I want to see it. Like him or not it's still history.

wdelaney72
05-11-2007, 12:31 PM
WWII was history, but that doesn't make me wish I was around to see it.

Fenway
05-11-2007, 12:34 PM
If the Baseball Gods have their way

June 23rd at ATT Park. Game against the Yankees is on FOX everywhere. Bonds is one homer away.

Top of the 1st Bonds jogs into the outfield. He is followed by Federal Marshalls who cuff him and tell him he has been indicted.

Tim McCarver is rendered speechless.

itsnotrequired
05-11-2007, 12:40 PM

TM: You know, Joe, Bonds being led off the field could have a negative impact on his at-bat here. The chances of a HR have gone down dramatically!

JB: *shoots self in face*

Fenway
05-11-2007, 01:02 PM
TM: You know, Joe, Bonds being led off the field could have a negative impact on his at-bat here. The chances of a HR have gone down dramatically!

JB: *shoots self in face*

I can hear him saying that.................

seriously that FOX game is a very good bet on when it happens....

HotelWhiteSox
05-11-2007, 10:42 PM
Ha, ESPN is going all out, I was browsing some pitching probables, and I got a pop up alerting me Bonds was on deck (and the game/HRs situation), urging me to launch Gamecast

ChiSoxGirl
05-12-2007, 12:51 AM
Ha, ESPN is going all out, I was browsing some pitching probables, and I got a pop up alerting me Bonds was on deck (and the game/HRs situation), urging me to launch Gamecast

As I was watching the Sox game last Saturday afternoon (and I meant to start a thread about this then, but forgot because I was involved in writing the TBGR), I was FURIOUS when Fox broke away from the Sox game to show Bonds's first plate appearance of the game, when he happened to launch a homerun practically on command. And then later in the game, they broke away again just so we could see him walked. At first, it was a split screen of both games, but then the Giants game was enlarged and their audio took over and the Sox game was nowhere to be seen or heard for several minutes. I know this may come as a shock to people at Fox, but I DON'T CARE ABOUT BONDS and his race to surpass Aaron! :angry:

comerica
05-12-2007, 01:44 AM
This is by far the largest and most important record breaking chance of my life time(well maybe after ripkin) but I, for one have absolutley no interest at all.

cubhater
05-12-2007, 09:21 AM
This is by far the largest and most important record breaking chance of my life time(well maybe after ripkin) but I, for one have absolutley no interest at all.

I'll take Ripken's streak over the all-time HR mark. I doubt if anyone here will see any other player come close to playing in over 2000 consecutive games.

If/when Bonds breaks the record, it's not going to last too long before ARod or some other slugger tops it.

Scottiehaswheels
05-12-2007, 10:17 AM
I saw an article on, I think it was Yahoo, about how the nation doesn't like Bonds because of his race. I take serious issue with that.. I mean the record he's breaking is held by another African-American... A person that, the same people hating Bonds, respect and admire... Hank Aaron refuses to be anywhere near Bonds if/when he does break his record, what his excuse? Sore loser? I don't think so! So really, does the race accusation make any sense at all?

Fenway
05-12-2007, 10:27 AM
I saw an article on, I think it was Yahoo, about how the nation doesn't like Bonds because of his race. I take serious issue with that.. I mean the record he's breaking is held by another African-American... A person that, the same people hating Bonds, respect and admire... Hank Aaron refuses to be anywhere near Bonds if/when he does break his record, what his excuse? Sore loser? I don't think so! So really, does the race accusation make any sense at all?

Race has NOTHING to do with this.

Look back in 1998 most fans were rooting for Sosa over McGwire because people LIKED Sammy.

People dislike Bonds because he not a very nice person.

Scottiehaswheels
05-12-2007, 10:36 AM
Race has NOTHING to do with this.

Look back in 1998 most fans were rooting for Sosa over McGwire because people LIKED Sammy.

People dislike Bonds because he not a very nice person.Oh I agree.. Which is why I thought that article, which I can't seem to find anywhere anymore, was total garbage... Probably just the author trying to create even more controversy over an already divisive issue... Still though...

MarySwiss
05-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Oh I agree.. Which is why I thought that article, which I can't seem to find anywhere anymore, was total garbage... Probably just the author trying to create even more controversy over an already divisive issue... Still though...

I saw this somewhere too. I think it was based on some kind of poll. Maybe on ESPN.com? I think it was a few days ago.

Scottiehaswheels
05-12-2007, 10:46 AM
I saw this somewhere too. I think it was based on some kind of poll. Maybe on ESPN.com? I think it was a few days ago.Thanks Mary, spot on. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=2861938

downstairs
05-12-2007, 12:46 PM

That is sort-of a misinterpretation of the article (actually, a poll).

The interesting item in the whole thing (see link above) is that 74% of blacks want him to break the record. There is no way to interpret that any percentage of non-blacks don't want him to break it *because* he's black.

Unfortunately a lot of people reversed the interesting point and made that an issue, which is not logical.

bigfoot
05-12-2007, 02:22 PM
If the Baseball Gods have their way....

Now THAT would be priceless!:bandance:

Frontman
05-12-2007, 06:28 PM

You can thank Bonds/Dusty Baker for that spin on it. Dusty and Barry are both notorious for dropping the race card into a situation for no reason.