PDA

View Full Version : Who gets lead off spot when Pods comes back?

MP#3
05-09-2007, 07:48 AM
One of the polls in the game yesterday was who should get the lead off spot when Pods comes back, Erstad or Pods? I thing Erstad is doing a pretty decent job handling lead off but I would rather see the old line up with Pods leading off and Iguchi batting second with Erstad somewhere farther down the line. What do you guys think?

Madvora
05-09-2007, 08:00 AM
When they showed the viewer voting totals Hawk and DJ said that it was already decided that Erstad keeps the spot. He has the highest average from the leadoff spot in the league.
The real question is do you put Podsednik 2nd or further down in the order. I'd like him at #2.

champagne030
05-09-2007, 09:55 AM
When they showed the viewer voting totals Hawk and DJ said that it was already decided that Erstad keeps the spot. He has the highest average from the leadoff spot in the league.
The real question is do you put Podsednik 2nd or further down in the order. I'd like him at #2.

Ozzie was quoted in the Cubune saying that Erstad will leadoff and Pods will be #2. We really need to find another option for CF, and there's not one currently on the roster, when facing a LH. Erstad is batting a $1.36 against them. This club is desperately seeking a right handed hitting OF who is serviceable in CF.

lizard6king6
05-09-2007, 10:52 AM
I cant wait till Pods gets back. It doesnt matter if he does good or bad (well it kind of does), his presence alone adds a spark to the team.

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-09-2007, 12:35 PM
I cant wait till Pods gets back. It doesnt matter if he does good or bad (well it kind of does), his presence alone adds a spark to the team.

Yeah just like last year.

Iwritecode
05-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Ozzie was quoted in the Cubune saying that Erstad will leadoff and Pods will be #2. We really need to find another option for CF, and there's not one currently on the roster, when facing a LH. Erstad is batting a $1.36 against them. This club is desperately seeking a right handed hitting OF who is serviceable in CF.

I thought that I had read that Erstad would stay #1 and that Pods would be batting lower in the order. Like #7 or #8. Of course I can't find the article now...

JB98
05-09-2007, 01:47 PM
I'd go back to Pods. Apparently, our manager disagrees.

Jjav829
05-09-2007, 03:10 PM
If Ozzie is going to keep Erstad in the leadoff spot after Erstad goes back, he might as well just let Sweeney keep playing in left. Pods only real value comes from his ability to, when healthy, be a disruptive force on the bases at the top of the order. If he's not going to be able to do that, there's no point in starting him. He's simply not a guy you want at the bottom of the order in situations where he would need to drive in runs.

Assuming Sweeney looks like he is major league ready over the next few weeks, Ozzie would be better served to stick with Sweeney. Sweeney is a much better defensive player than Pods. Neither has much power, but Sweeney clearly has the higher upside in that aspect. And it wouldn't hurt to infuse some youth into the lineup.

BanditJimmy
05-09-2007, 03:15 PM
I think Alex Cintron should lead off.

GregO23
05-09-2007, 04:36 PM
here are some questions I want answered:

1. Who are the 3 players we send down?
Molina, Terrero, ?Logan?
2. Where do you put Podsednik in the lineup?
I say you keep him at leadoff, but since Ozzie is saying Erstad is #1 then I would put him #2
3.How often does Toby Hall play?
As long as hes healthy, everyday a Lefty is on the hill

Uncle_Patrick
05-09-2007, 04:39 PM
I'm pretty sure Pods is going to be the lead off guy once he gets healthy.

balke
05-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Yahoo is reporting Erstad will remain lead-off, and Pods will hit 9th. I'll believe it when I see it. It should be Pods, Erstad 1-2 IMO. We'll see though I guess.

Rocky Soprano
05-09-2007, 04:52 PM
I thought Ozzie already said Erstad was going to stay at lead off and Pods would go to #9.

balke
05-09-2007, 04:53 PM
It should be Pods #1 Erstad #2, and Erstad should learn how to let Pods steal occasionally. It'll probably be Erstad #1 and Pods #9... which will do nothing significant for our lineup.

FedEx227
05-09-2007, 04:54 PM
I thought Ozzie already said Erstad was going to stay at lead off and Pods would go to #9.

Yeah, which is awful. Pods is way too one-dimensional to make anything work in the 9-hole. I'd be willing to give it a shot because Erstad has shown he can get on-base a bit more, but I'd love to see us get a real leadoff hitter sometime during the season.

Iwritecode
05-09-2007, 04:58 PM
It should be Pods #1 Erstad #2, and Erstad should learn how to let Pods steal occasionally. It'll probably be Erstad #1 and Pods #9... which will do nothing significant for our lineup.

After the first inning, it will be the exact same scenario in either lineup. Pods will be batting "before" Erstad.

Rocky Soprano
05-09-2007, 04:58 PM
Yeah, which is awful. Pods is way too one-dimensional to make anything work in the 9-hole. I'd be willing to give it a shot because Erstad has shown he can get on-base a bit more, but I'd love to see us get a real leadoff hitter sometime during the season.

That's Ozzie for you.

rdwj
05-09-2007, 05:04 PM

I'm fine with Erstad batting lead off, but there is no reason for Pods to be here if that happens. You don't need two lead-off hitters, especially when one of them is playing a position typically occupied by a solid offensive contributor.

Chicago
05-09-2007, 05:06 PM
I like the 1-2 of

Pods
Erstad

hopefully followed by a healthy Thome

roadrunner
05-09-2007, 05:09 PM
I think Erstad's the right choice. Basically it comes down to which player would you prefer to get an extra at bat over the course of the game. I would rather see Erstad up there for the late inning fifth at bat.

FedEx227
05-09-2007, 05:10 PM
I like the 1-2 of

Pods
Erstad

That's what I would love to see. Granted, Pods can't get on-base at as high of a clip as Erstad. But the speed factor definitely puts Pods above Darin for me personally.

Rocky Soprano
05-09-2007, 05:10 PM
I think Erstad's the right choice. Basically it comes down to which player would you prefer to get an extra at bat over the course of the game. I would rather see Erstad up there for the late inning fifth at bat.

Even if Pods is healthy?

balke
05-09-2007, 05:11 PM
After the first inning, it will be the exact same scenario in either lineup. Pods will be batting "before" Erstad.

Except you have a 2 player difference from him to THOME-DYE-KONERKO, when ideally you could've started the game getting pods on base, having him steal second or reach third on a hit and run, and have a pop-fly get him home from one of the big 3.

If he bats 9th you rely on Erstad to get him over and Iguchi to get him home, and there's no guarantee that Pods led off the inning, so probably there are fewer outs to get him home with.

FedEx227
05-09-2007, 05:12 PM

But the first inning is vital. Getting a lead quickly gives your team a much better chance of winning. I believe, personally, that Pods leading the game off gives us a better chance of getting that first run in the 1st.

veeter
05-09-2007, 05:12 PM
I stick with Erstad. Keep Sweeney in there. I couldn't remove Ryan from the line-up until he looks like he can't handle major league pitching. In other words, Pods would be spending a lot of quality time on the bench.

Rocky Soprano
05-09-2007, 05:17 PM
I stick with Erstad. Keep Sweeney in there. I couldn't remove Ryan from the line-up until he looks like he can't handle major league pitching. In other words, Pods would be spending a lot of quality time on the bench.

Today's Sun-Time says that when Thome and Hall come up, Sweeney will be the first to go back down. According to Ozzie he rather keep Terrero because he can play any outfield position and Sweeney should play every day.

balke
05-09-2007, 05:18 PM
I don't know, the lineup needs speed. Even with a damaged quad Pods will be better on the basepaths. Sweeney proved last night that even with a great jump, he's not a significant stolen base threat.

I don't mind if Sweeney gets a bunch of time, but I'm personally looking forward to having Pods back in the leadoff spot so this lineup doesn't look so flat in the first inning.

BeviBall!
05-09-2007, 05:22 PM
I like the 1-2 of

Pods
Erstad

Of course, that means Gooch slides back down to 7. :puking:

whitesoxfan1986
05-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Podsednik shouldn't come back IMO. Pods is a no tool player at this point, and shouldn't be counted on for anything. He's always injured, and though he was hitting well before the injury, he'll probably regress to 2006 form. They should see what they can get for him in a trade. I'm sure Kenny can convince some team that he is still a viable leadoff hitter. Erstad is doing fine as a leadoff hitter, and Sweeney can stay in LF. If they do decide to keep him, he should be nothing more than a bench player. Use him to bat leadoff when Erstad needs a night off, and they can move Sweeney to CF in that case.

FedEx227
05-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Podsednik shouldn't come back IMO. Erstad is doing fine in the leadoff spot, and Sweeney can stay at LF. They should see what they can get for him in a trade. I'm sure there are plenty of teams that need a leadoff man.

Only problem, Podsednik isn't a leadoff man. He's a one-dimensional slap hitter with speed. Thus, teams don't need him.

sox1970
05-09-2007, 05:30 PM
I'd send out Sisco or Logan, Tererro, and Molina

Lineup--Erstad, Iguchi, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Pierzynski, Crede, Uribe, Podsednik

veeter
05-09-2007, 05:30 PM
I don't know, the lineup needs speed. Even with a damaged quad Pods will be better on the basepaths. Sweeney proved last night that even with a great jump, he's not a significant stolen base threat.

I don't mind if Sweeney gets a bunch of time, but I'm personally looking forward to having Pods back in the leadoff spot so this lineup doesn't look so flat in the first inning.I thought Ryan got a late jump myself. Either way he can get thrown out just as well as Pods can. And when is the last time our speedster Scotty has beaten out an infield hit?

BanditJimmy
05-09-2007, 05:33 PM

With this team lacking in speed and Iguchi being a FA next season, why not give Ozuna a shot at 2B?

Iguchi looks very lazy to me out there and now his glove and arm have become a liability on the field. Hitting down in the order appears to not be a fit for him.

My line up would be:

1. Pods
2. Erstad
3. Thome
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. AJ
7. Crede
8. Uribe
9. Ozuna - 2B

Speed at the top and bottom of the order would look nice.

And it would be nice to try out Ozuna at 2B which would save us a boad load of money $$$ on a 2B next season.

roadrunner
05-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Whichever player hits leadoff as opposed to ninth is all but guaranteed to get to the plate one more time. It's obviously preferable to have Pods up in the first. I'm curious as to what opinions are about which player you would rather have go to the plate one extra time. I am not sure which I would prefer if Pods is healthy.

whitesoxfan1986
05-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Only problem, Podsednik isn't a leadoff man. He's a one-dimensional slap hitter with speed. Thus, teams don't need him.
I realize that, that's why I changed my post to say that I think that Kenny can convince another team that he is still a viable leadoff candidate. See my modified post.

balke
05-09-2007, 05:44 PM
I thought Ryan got a late jump myself. Either way he can get thrown out just as well as Pods can. And when is the last time our speedster Scotty has beaten out an infield hit?

April 7th v. the Twins he had one, don't know if that was the last. Is Sweeney faster than Pods now? Did I miss something? Wasn't Pods hitting .300 when he went down, and getting on base .378? Sweeney will be playing everyday when Pods comes back, in Charlotte. If Pods struggles, then they'll make a move for Sweeney.

Nellie_Fox
05-09-2007, 05:49 PM
I merged the two threads that were essentially the same topic.

veeter
05-09-2007, 05:49 PM
April 7th v. the Twins he had one, don't know if that was the last. Is Sweeney faster than Pods now? Did I miss something? Wasn't Pods hitting .300 when he went down, and getting on base .378? Sweeney will be playing everyday when Pods comes back, in Charlotte. If Pods struggles, then they'll make a move for Sweeney.In all honesty, I forgot how well Pods was hitting before he went down. So yes, he should be inserted right back in there. But I really think Sweeney IS faster than Podsednik. I also think he's better in the field.

balke
05-09-2007, 05:51 PM
In all honesty, I forgot how well Pods was hitting before he went down. So yes, he should be inserted right back in there. But I really think Sweeney IS faster than Podsednik. I also think he's better in the field.

Well if Sweeney can swipe 40 bags, the job is his. Being fast doesn't equate to stolen bases, ask Willy Harris. I wanna see him succeed, but the job is Pods to lose right now.

Chicago
05-09-2007, 05:54 PM

Gooch in the 6th spot behind Dye

ShoelessJoeS
05-09-2007, 05:59 PM
I really don't know what happens when Pods comes back. IMO, Gooch is most valuable in the 2-spot. Obviously, Ozzie thinks otherwise. Since that's the case, my lineup looks like this...

Pods
Optimus Grind
Thome
Konerko
Dye
AJP
Crede
Gooch
Uribe

JB98
05-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Today's Sun-Time says that when Thome and Hall come up, Sweeney will be the first to go back down. According to Ozzie he rather keep Terrero because he can play any outfield position and Sweeney should play every day.

I would agree with that. If Sweeney isn't going to play, he can join BA in Charlotte. Terrero is the sort of guy you don't mind using as a part-time player in the bigs.

Tragg
05-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Sweeney's doing real well. Keep him right where he is; why mess this up? It's the one interesting offensive thing going. It's not like we have some all-star quality player ready to take that spot.

Ozzie already said he wants Erstad for leadoff (I don't get it, but whatever).
Pods hits the bench, imo.

balke
05-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Sweeney's doing real well. Keep him right where he is; why mess this up? It's the one interesting offensive thing going. It's not like we have some all-star quality player ready to take that spot.

Ozzie already said he wants Erstad for leadoff (I don't get it, but whatever).
Pods hits the bench, imo.

Actually Scott Podsednik was an all-star. I'm happy with Sweeney and all that, but I still don't think he's stolen the job yet. I think Erstad will go cold again, and Ozzie will be alternating between him and Pods as leadoff hitters.

Frater Perdurabo
05-09-2007, 11:01 PM
As long as Erstad keeps producing as the leadoff hitter, I'm fine with leaving him there when Pods comes back. I also like the idea of batting Pods second. He does know how to bunt, so he could move Erstad over and/or get on base for the heart of the order. Here's what I think might work:

Against RHP: Erstad, Pods, Thome, PK, Dye, AJ, Crede, Iguchi, Uribe

Against LHP: Ozuna, Iguchi, Thome, PK, Dye, Hall, Crede, Terrero, Uribe

Mackowiak and Cintron get spot starts and PH duties.

This leaves room for a six-man bullpen, so the "weakest link" can go to AAA.

lostfan
05-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Sweeney has been a pleasant surprise. He looks like he's ready for major-league pitching which I did not expect. At this rate I'm in no hurry to get Pods back if Sweeney's going to keep getting better. I'm off the Podsednik bandwagon now and even his batting average before the injury couldnt' convince me to get back on. And who's to say he'd still be hitting when he comes back off the DL? Remember him in 2006? He was as streaky as ever, hitting well, then like 25-30 ABs with no hits. And I see no reason that was going to change this year, it's just that he (surprise!) got hurt again before the cycle could finish.

Tragg
05-09-2007, 11:41 PM
Erstad is the only guy on the roster who can play a decent CF, from what I can tell...so that pretty much pencils him in. Sweeney and Pods both play left, both bat left...
I don't know, but I hate to ruin a good thing with a young player.

areilly
05-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Actually Scott Podsednik was an all-star.

So was Mark Redman, lest we forget superstud Felipe Lopez.

And you do remember how Pods got there in the first place, don't you? Put him on any other team, or even this team any other year, and there's no way he went to Detroit.

Jerksticks
05-10-2007, 02:08 AM
I hate Cintron and Mackowiak.

Cintron hustles, Mack hustles- big freakin deal. Neither is a good enough hitter to warrant the playing time they are getting. gimme harris, perez and gload anyday.

I understand cintron during Uribe's absence, but Mack? He sucks, chompin his gum and actin all cocky and cavalier like Tony Soprano. I think the hometown boy is a cancer to this team. "Hey dude. You ain't an everyday player kid. aight? quit actin like you are king with that swagger"

anybody else dislike mack and/or his attitude.

lovin the sween though.

balke
05-10-2007, 09:39 AM
So was Mark Redman, lest we forget superstud Felipe Lopez.

And you do remember how Pods got there in the first place, don't you? Put him on any other team, or even this team any other year, and there's no way he went to Detroit.

Scott Podsednik was an all-star, that's all it comes down to. You do see what this team is like without him don't you? You do remember what this team is always like without him don't you? SLOW. He creates havoc and causes wild pitches and bad throws into the outfield. He makes the pitcher pay more attention to him than the batter. Pods made the All-star team that season because he was the single most important piece to this team's offense (the best team) at that time, and the voting reflected that, period. They were 42-16 when he stole a base that season.

Someone should just check their facts when they say there are "no all-stars" waiting to fill in that position... cause in fact there is one.

balke
05-10-2007, 09:42 AM
And who's to say he'd still be hitting when he comes back off the DL? Remember him in 2006? He was as streaky as ever, hitting well, then like 25-30 ABs with no hits. And I see no reason that was going to change this year, it's just that he (surprise!) got hurt again before the cycle could finish.

Who's to say Sweeney won't be hitting .256 again like he was in the minors before we called him up? Or .220 in the majors like a guy we called up with similar stats from the same minor league team.

The Immigrant
05-10-2007, 09:45 AM
He creates havoc and causes wild pitches and bad throws into the outfield. He makes the pitcher pay more attention to him than the batter.

The Podsednik you speak of has not made an appearance since the first half of 2005. The present version is at least two steps slower and allows the likes of Victor Martinez to throw him out. Oh, and he's very fragile.

Pods deserves a spot in the starting lineup so long as he keeps hitting the ball, like he did before going on the DL. If he can't keep up the offensive production I'd much rather see Sweeney in LF full time.

Jjav829
05-10-2007, 10:10 AM
Scott Podsednik was an all-star, that's all it comes down to. You do see what this team is like without him don't you? You do remember what this team is always like without him don't you? SLOW. He creates havoc and causes wild pitches and bad throws into the outfield. He makes the pitcher pay more attention to him than the batter. Pods made the All-star team that season because he was the single most important piece to this team's offense (the best team) at that time, and the voting reflected that, period. They were 42-16 when he stole a base that season.

Someone should just check their facts when they say there are "no all-stars" waiting to fill in that position... cause in fact there is one.

Come on....

The fact that the guy was once voted to the All-Star team because his fans rigged the vote over more deserving players doesn't make him an "All-Star" caliber player. Besides, you're taking the term too literally. When most people use the term "All-Star" to describe a certain type of player, they're simply referring to a players overall talent and ability in comparison to other major leaguers. They're not specifically talking about whether the player has truly made an All-Star team. No one would call Mark Redman an All-Star caliber pitcher, yet he has made an All-Star team.

Yes, we've seen what kind of impact Pods can have on the bases when healthy and running well. We've also seen the kind of impact he has when not fully healthy and/or not running well - Minimal.

balke
05-10-2007, 10:14 AM
Come on....

The fact that the guy was once voted to the All-Star team because his fans rigged the vote over more deserving players doesn't make him an "All-Star" caliber player. Besides, you're taking the term too literally. When most people use the term "All-Star" to describe a certain type of player, they're simply referring to a players overall talent and ability in comparison to other major leaguers. They're not specifically talking about whether the player has truly made an All-Star team. No one would call Mark Redman an All-Star caliber pitcher, yet he has made an All-Star team.

Yes, we've seen what kind of impact Pods can have on the bases when healthy and running well. We've also seen the kind of impact he has when not fully healthy and/or not running well - Minimal.

All-star calibur players, is that someone who has the ability to steal 70+ bases in a season? I see All-star as ability, because any all-star can have an injury plagued season. Ryan Sweeney is a minor league player with potential to be a major league player. Scott Podsednik is a major league player with potential (Already reached once in his career) to be an all-star calibur player.

Does Ryan Sweeney get his job because of a broken bat bloop single against the Twins and good defense? Not in my book. If the Sox really want to put all their chips in the pot on Erstad being our lead-off hitter of the future... the may as well start trading players.

lostfan
05-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Who's to say Sweeney won't be hitting .256 again like he was in the minors before we called him up? Or .220 in the majors like a guy we called up with similar stats from the same minor league team.
Who's to say Podsednik won't either? And please don't tell me that's not possible or point to his pre-injury batting average, because it's happened before. He plays too hot and cold for my taste, too inconsistent for a leadoff hitter. The guy you're talking about I have not seen since around July of 2005. What good are you if you never play, and are rarely 100%? I'd rather see a young guy playing who hasn't reached his ceiling but is carrying his weight nicely.

balke
05-10-2007, 10:43 AM
I remember this team without a good leadoff hitter. Podsednik is going to be on base more than Erstad in the leadoff spot. He's going to do more when he is on base in that leadoff spot. His previous stats prove that.

IMO if the Sox didn't want a guy who's injured all the time in the leadoff spot, then they shouldn't have gone with Darin Erstad in the first place. Erstad is a Pods who can't swipe nearly as many bags. And he too has been streaky. Sweeney can have Pods job when he plays better or when this team is out of it and is ready to rebuild. Until then I'd rather see the best team put out there.

Tragg
05-10-2007, 10:48 AM
I remember this team without a good leadoff hitter. Podsednik is going to be on base more than Erstad in the leadoff spot. He's going to do more when he is on base in that leadoff spot. His previous stats prove that.
I agree - Pods is a much better leadoff hitter. All of these "extras" that ERstad supposedly brings (bunting, hitting to the right side) are useless at leadoff.
But Ozzie said Erstad is staying at leadoff. Given that situation, Pods value is pretty deminimis, as best I can tell.

hawkjt
05-10-2007, 11:23 AM
right now, sweeney is the second leading hitter on the team..wow.. that is a sad statement but it would be hard to send him down if he continues to hit better than anyone on the team.. I hope he does get hot and makes it possible for pods to take his time and get totally healthy.. then ease pods back in and see what kind of stroke he has going after the layoff.. if sweeney craps out , then send him down but if he is hitting well.. hard to send down one of a couple of guys that can make contact on a team devoid of contact hitters...

right now , I prefer seeing sweeney come up with men in scoring position over anyone outside of erstad..at least he puts the bat on the ball..