PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Williams = Idiot


RKMeibalane
03-27-2002, 03:51 PM
Is it really that difficult? For crying out loud! On a day where the Cubs accquire one of the better relievers in the National League, Williams makes yet another insignificant deal that won't help the Sox get better. Good grief! Jerry Reinsdorf needs to develop a brain and fire Williams- NOW! The man doesn't know what he's doing. In the past year alone, he's traded for David Wells and signed Joes Canseco, someone who couldn't even make the Expos.

If this crap doesn't stop, the Sox are going to have an average to mediocre season.

:winner

alohafri
03-29-2002, 09:46 PM
Lenny Williams is trying to employ the Peter Principal..."Promote me since I can't do this job too well, but I know I can do the job of the guy higher than me better."

:caballo Does anyone know where the can is?

czalgosz
03-29-2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
Lenny Williams is trying to employ the Peter Principal..."Promote me since I can't do this job too well, but I know I can do the job of the guy higher than me better."

:caballo Does anyone know where the can is?

Actually, the Peter Principle is you get promoted to the level of your incompetence - if you do a job well, you get promoted to the next level, until you finally get to a job that you can't do well, and you stick there. In KW's case, it applies - he oversaw a few good drafts, so they put him in charge of the whole team, and he seems a bit overwhelmed at times.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-29-2002, 10:17 PM
I hate to say it again but, what will you all say when Todd Ritchie wins 17-21 games this year and Kip Wells gets hit around in the NL? Sean Lowe???? The Pirates don't know what to do with him either! So save your applause(or Boos) until the end of the season.

:kipper
"I have to hit????"

Daver
03-29-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck

:kipper
"I have to hit????"

Better order a new package of Fruit of the Looms.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-29-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by daver


Better order a new package of Fruit of the Looms.

He'll need em' if he beans Piazza! :smile:

:kipper
"I've got chunks of guys like you in my stool!!"

Daver
03-29-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck


:kipper
"I've got chunks of guys like you in my stool!!"

Yeah,maybe,but its running down your leg.

voodoochile
03-29-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by daver


Yeah,maybe,but its running down your leg.

Okay, that analogy was officially taken too far...

:D:

Pete_SSAC
03-30-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by daver


Yeah,maybe,but its running down your leg.

Man, you just crossed a line that even I don't cross.

That's bad, bad, bad

- Pete

baggio202
03-30-2002, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
I hate to say it again but, what will you all say when Todd Ritchie wins 17-21 games this year and Kip Wells gets hit around in the NL? Sean Lowe???? The Pirates don't know what to do with him either! So save your applause(or Boos) until the end of the season.

:kipper
"I have to hit????"

even if ritchie wins 20 games we could still come out on the short end....kip and sean were the 2nd and 3rd winningest pitchers on the team last year..someone has to fill one of those spots too...plus,do you honestly think gasoline gary could fill the shoes of sean lowe???...i could see glover comming in the cub game in the first, down 2 runs and the bases juiced, no outs...and pitch out of it like sean did....it would be 12 -0...and while fogg is unproven he did have success while he was up here and he sure could be a help in the bionic bullpen disaster...atleast it would be a healthy arm...thats gotta count for something around here

chisoxt
03-30-2002, 09:47 AM
I hate to say it again but, what will you all say when Todd Ritchie wins 17-21 games this year and Kip Wells gets hit around in the NL? Sean Lowe???? The Pirates don't know what to do with him either! So save your applause(or Boos) until the end of the season

The problem with this is if the trades do bust out, and someone one points this out after the fact (Say, like you suggest, at season's end), you'll say that hind sight is 20-20 or something like that. Clearly, KW has overpaid dearly to get the type of marginal talent that was available via free agency in the off season.

RKMeibalane
03-30-2002, 10:39 AM
That's exactly my point. Ritchie may win twenty games, but chances are, he won't. He's never been that productive over the course of a full season, so there's no reason to believe he can win that many games. Besides, the key to winning in baseball is accquiring players who will produce without question, not someone who could IF he has a great season, or someone who could play better IF he were healthy. "Ifs" are for Cubs fans. I don't like the idea of depending on players who have not accomplished that much in the game. Kenny Williams gave up too much for too little. That is not what a good general manger does.

voodoochile
03-30-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
That's exactly my point. Ritchie may win twenty games, but chances are, he won't. He's never been that productive over the course of a full season, so there's no reason to believe he can win that many games. Besides, the key to winning in baseball is accquiring players who will produce without question, not someone who could IF he has a great season, or someone who could play better IF he were healthy. "Ifs" are for Cubs fans. I don't like the idea of depending on players who have not accomplished that much in the game. Kenny Williams gave up too much for too little. That is not what a good general manger does.

The irony in this post was... well... ironic...

What have Kip, Sean and Josh "accomplished"? Trading bulk does not mean you got ripped off. Time will tell, but it isn't like the Sox traded 3 future Cy Young candidates. Of the 4 pitchers involved in the trade, Ritchie definitely has the best mix of talent, attitude and experience. The only other one who has that much potential is Kip and that is all Kip has ever shown - potential. Mostly he has looked like a long reliever. The rest of the trade was throw ins from the Sox perspective.

baggio202
03-30-2002, 01:04 PM
maybe in a different season this trade wouldnt have looked so bad...but kenny williams makes a trade where he is sending 3 solid healthy arms for one, in a year where we have 6 guys coming back from major surgeries....did he honestly believe the bull**** he was trying to sell the fans when he said all these are right on or ahead of schedule and will be ready opening day????...nobody could be that stupid...not even williams...

what happened is exactly what i said would happen because of this trade..come opening day we would be scrambling for pitchers...

Bmr31
03-30-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile


The irony in this post was... well... ironic...

What have Kip, Sean and Josh "accomplished"? Trading bulk does not mean you got ripped off. Time will tell, but it isn't like the Sox traded 3 future Cy Young candidates. Of the 4 pitchers involved in the trade, Ritchie definitely has the best mix of talent, attitude and experience. The only other one who has that much potential is Kip and that is all Kip has ever shown - potential. Mostly he has looked like a long reliever. The rest of the trade was throw ins from the Sox perspective.

Kip wells is a better pitcher than Ritchie, period. I believe this season will only prove that further. In wins? maybe not. If you must look at stats, track whip. That is the best indicator.

czalgosz
03-30-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31


Kip wells is a better pitcher than Ritchie, period. I believe this season will only prove that further. In wins? maybe not. If you must look at stats, track whip. That is the best indicator.

Todd Ritchie 2001 WHIP - 1.26
Kip Wells 2001 WHIP - 1.55

Kip may well turn out to be a better pitcher than Ritchie in the long run, but he isn't right now.

Bmr31
03-30-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz


Todd Ritchie 2001 WHIP - 1.26
Kip Wells 2001 WHIP - 1.55

Kip may well turn out to be a better pitcher than Ritchie in the long run, but he isn't right now.


ummm i already knew those numbers and theyre meaningless. ritchie had the best year of his career and kip will only get better.....

czalgosz
03-30-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31



ummm i already knew those numbers and theyre meaningless. ritchie had the best year of his career and kip will only get better.....

Ritchie 2000 WHIP - 1.39
Ritchie 1999 WHIP - 1.29

Kip 2000 WHIP - 1.86

Actually, Ritchie's been fairly consistent the past three years. I can't speak to what Kip will do this year - he may learn to stop crapping his pants and start getting guys out. But you used present tense - Kip is not and has never been better than Ritchie. In the future, he may be.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the guy we'll miss out of the deal isn't Lowe or Kip - it's Fogg.

bjmarte
03-30-2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC


Man, you just crossed a line that even I don't cross.

That's bad, bad, bad

- Pete

Don't blame daver for telling the truth. :)