PDA

View Full Version : Skip Danks?

Parrothead
05-08-2007, 11:20 PM
Just asking.....with all the days off shouldn't the Sox skip Danks turn in the rotation thus giving them a better chance to win? I ask because that is what a 5th starter is for or so I thought.

ilsox7
05-08-2007, 11:21 PM
No.

JB98
05-08-2007, 11:22 PM
Danks has pitched well, as has everyone in the rotation.

It's the other parts of the team that are a problem.

To answer your question, no.

Sargeant79
05-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Danks is going against Ramon Ortiz tomorrow. Despite the fact the latter has pitched respectably this season, I like Danks's chances.

southsideirish71
05-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Just asking.....with all the days off shouldn't the Sox skip Danks turn in the rotation thus giving them a better chance to win? I ask because that is what a 5th starter is for or so I thought.

His last start 6 2/3's 3 runs. And you think he should be skipped. Did he kick your puppy, or steal your girlfriend. You seem to have this hate thing for Danks, who has kept his team in the game everytime he has pitched.

Can we skip the offense who is hitting .207 in May. Outside of the bullpen explosiion tonight, the pitching has been great. The offense is the reason we have sucked this season.

HotelWhiteSox
05-09-2007, 12:42 AM
His last start 6 2/3's 3 runs. And you think he should be skipped. Did he kick your puppy, or steal your girlfriend. You seem to have this hate thing for Danks, who has kept his team in the game everytime he has pitched.

Can we skip the offense who is hitting .207 in May. Outside of the bullpen explosiion tonight, the pitching has been great. The offense is the reason we have sucked this season.

Or he just might not want to throw off the rest schedule for the rest of the rotation

JB98
05-09-2007, 12:53 AM

Skipping the offense: Now, there's a good idea. Do you think we can petition the commissioner's office to change the rules? Maybe we could just pitch and play defense all the time, and we could "score runs" by striking guys out and making good fielding plays.

Turcle
05-09-2007, 02:57 AM
Skipping the offense: Now, there's a good idea. Do you think we can petition the commissioner's office to change the rules? Maybe we could just pitch and play defense all the time, and we could "score runs" by striking guys out and making good fielding plays.

I think just give us like 1 run/ 2 run lead then start the game. Our pitchers love to give up the lead so it would be a fair game.

Parrothead
05-09-2007, 06:54 AM

I was just asking since other teams skip thier 5th starter sometimes when the days off allow it. I would think they would thus, allowing better pitchers to pitch more times giving the Sox a greater chance to win. There is a reason he is the 5th. There are 4 better pitchers (in the Sox eyes). I know the Cubs and other teams have used thier 5th less than the first four pitchers.
No, he did not kick my puppy, I don't have one. Wait maybe he stole it !:o:

Yes, the offense blows. I know that. This is not a question about offense. It is a question about the 5th starter whomever that would be.

mccoydp
05-09-2007, 08:09 AM
Ain't nuthin' wrong with Danks. The bats don't seem to want to support him.

skobabe8
05-09-2007, 09:05 AM
I think doing anything to screw with Danks right now would be a huge mistake. You might as well tell him its his fault he doesnt have a win yet this year.

Hitmen77
05-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Who is this "Skip Danks" guy people keep referring to here? Is that John's brother and is he also in the Sox organization?

IlliniSox4Life
05-09-2007, 09:43 PM

Good call.

lostfan
05-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Can we shut up with the idiotic anti-Danks nonsense now, and never speak of it again? It's kind of annoying. He dominated today AND he got some offense to boot.

Rob190
05-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Who is this "Skip Danks" guy people keep referring to here? Is that John's brother and is he also in the Sox organization?

I don't know but I think we should sign him.:redneck

sox1970
05-09-2007, 09:53 PM
I wanted them to skip Danks in Seattle, and it wasn't anti-Danks at all. Time will tell how he does when he gets around 175-190 innings.

That said, he pitched great tonight. Hope he keeps it up.

lostfan
05-09-2007, 09:58 PM
I wanted them to skip Danks in Seattle, and it wasn't anti-Danks at all. Time will tell how he does when he gets around 175-190 innings.

That said, he pitched great tonight. Hope he keeps it up.
I wasn't really referring to you, I was talking about the people (or in this case, person) who said that Danks has been a bad pitcher.

Frater Perdurabo
05-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Let's skip this thread instead.

esbrechtel
05-09-2007, 10:48 PM
danks should be pitching...he has been one of our more consistent starters....we just couldn't hit for him, except tonight!:bandance:

Parrothead
05-09-2007, 11:10 PM
I wasn't really referring to you, I was talking about the people (or in this case, person) who said that Danks has been a bad pitcher.

I am assuming you are "talking" to me. If you were why not address me ? Get some nads. Anyway, it would seem that most people here are thinking that I am Anti-Danks, the question was why the Sox are not skipping the 5th Starter (who happens to be Danks) when other teams have been skipping thier 5th starter when the day off allows for it. The Sox have done this in the past.

With all that said...Danks pitched well tonight. But 1 game does not make a season or career. I hope it continues. But my question still stands.

Boondock Saint
05-10-2007, 12:46 AM
the question was why the Sox are not skipping the 5th Starter (who happens to be Danks) when other teams have been skipping thier 5th starter when the day off allows for it.

Because many 5th starters in baseball flat-out suck. John Danks does NOT suck.

lostfan
05-10-2007, 07:09 AM
I am assuming you are "talking" to me. If you were why not address me ? Get some nads. Anyway, it would seem that most people here are thinking that I am Anti-Danks, the question was why the Sox are not skipping the 5th Starter (who happens to be Danks) when other teams have been skipping thier 5th starter when the day off allows for it. The Sox have done this in the past.

With all that said...Danks pitched well tonight. But 1 game does not make a season or career. I hope it continues. But my question still stands.
I didn't have to call you out by name since you are the one that started this thread, I was trying not to get personal without avoiding the facts. You have posted trash and nonsense in other threads bashing Danks for no real reason and I (and apparently many other people on here) just flat-out disagree with you. How else are you supposed to interpret "skip Danks?" Danks has the tools and the stuff to succeed at the MLB level. He's a rookie who up until today has had some bad luck. He's only going to get better as he gets more playing time.

Jurr
05-10-2007, 07:17 AM
I had a feeling after the game last night that someone would bring this post back up with an "in your face" vibe.

:rolleyes:
It was dumb to begin with. Let it go.

Frontman
05-10-2007, 07:22 AM
There would be merit in skipping Danks, if Danks was the reason he didn't get the "W." But when the team doesn't score any runs and Danks gives up 2 after 6/7 innings; that doesn't mean he's at fault.

Ah, I remember the days well. When we talked about skipping over Javy.

The Sox need Danks to keep doing what he's doing. I think we're seeing the signs of the team getting out of their collective slumps and get back on track.

GO GO WHITE SOX!

Parrothead
05-10-2007, 01:47 PM
I stand by I would rather have my #1 start instead of the the #5 (I don't care who it is). Enjoy the win (I did, it was way overdue). Yes, I bashed Danks. He was not doing his job IMO. Yestereday he did Congrats to him and his 4.33 ERA. Hopefully, it continues.

jabrch
05-10-2007, 01:58 PM
I stand by I would rather have my #1 start instead of the the #5 (I don't care who it is). Enjoy the win (I did, it was way overdue). Yes, I bashed Danks. He was not doing his job IMO. Yestereday he did Congrats to him and his 4.33 ERA. Hopefully, it continues.

I wish this boobery would just stop.

Skipping your 5th starter is a great idea if it is Danny Wright. If he has an ERA under 5, it is not a great idea. It has the following impacts;
1) Your 5th starter is off his regular rotation, and becomes less effective.
2) Your other starters all have to throw more innings during the regular season, and likely tire more in October - when most needed.
3) Your pen gets overused because of 1 & 2.

Danks is throwing very well. He hasn't had a bad outing yet. His ERA is under 4.50, his WHIP is under 1.35. He should be in the rotation every 5th day, developing. He's allowed 17 ER in 6 starts. No team in baseball would skip that guy.

I'll put on my Fenway hat for a moment. If the Red Sox aren't skipping Julian Freaking Tavarez for Beckett, Matsuzaka, Schilling and Wakefield, there's no logical reason why any MLB team would skip their 5th starter with a 4.3 ERA and 1.3 WHIP in May.

soxfan13
05-10-2007, 02:00 PM

How the hell hasnt he been doing his job? He has been doing more then has been expected of him. The number 5's job is to pitch 5 to 6 innings give your team a chance to win. He can easily be 4-0 instead of 1-4.

jabrch
05-10-2007, 02:16 PM
How the hell hasnt he been doing his job? He has been doing more then has been expected of him. The number 5's job is to pitch 5 to 6 innings give your team a chance to win. He can easily be 4-0 instead of 1-4.

Given that he hasn't given up more than 4 runs yet in a start, he could actually be 5-0. The only game he hasn't had a chance to win was the game he didn't go 5 innings.

He gave up 4 runs or fewer in every start.

The principal behind thread is just assinine. It should be filed with the Erstad sucks threads, the Pods is terrible threads, the Jeremy Reed threads, etc. It's sillyness.

John Danks has been amongst the best 5th starters in all of baseball this year. You don't skip that guy in freaking APRIL.

soxfan13
05-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Given that he hasn't given up more than 4 runs yet in a start, he could actually be 5-0. The only game he hasn't had a chance to win was the game he didn't go 5 innings.

He gave up 4 runs or fewer in every start.

The principal behind thread is just assinine. It should be filed with the Erstad sucks threads, the Pods is terrible threads, the Jeremy Reed threads, etc. It's sillyness.

John Danks has been amongst the best 5th starters in all of baseball this year. You don't skip that guy in freaking APRIL.

:gulp:

skottyj242
05-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Fire Mark Salas!!!!!!!!!!!

skobabe8
05-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Let's skip this thread instead.

That really made me laugh. :D: