PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Adding a bat at Crede's expense?

chaotic8512
05-08-2007, 01:23 PM
I didn't see this posted anywhere... Tim Brown posted on his Yahoo! blog about a week ago this little tidbit:

The Chicago White Sox are beginning to think about adding a bat. A month in, they are last in the AL in batting and near the bottom in runs, OPS and plenty of other offensive categories. The only two guys who were hitting consistently Jim Thome and Scott Podsednik are on the disabled list. GM Kenny Williams targeted his bullpen in a busy and controversial offseason and, indeed, the bullpen has been pretty good. His starters, however, have been inconsistent and, by the looks of things, neither Freddy Garcia nor Brandon McCarthy would have helped. And the offense hasn't covered many of their mistakes. The White Sox are hoping someone bites on third baseman Joe Crede.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/mlb_experts/post/Five-and-Fly-A-s-shopping-Harden-?urn=mlb,30852

Sounds pretty emphatic, saying it without any sense of doubt. But could he be just making a rumor? While I would hate to see Crede's defense go, as well as his above-average bat (when he finally breaks out of his slump), I am somewhat confused on how that could get us an effective bat. Let's just say the unlikely happens and Crede does get traded. Six months of Crede isn't going to get you that much, is it?

Madvora
05-08-2007, 01:38 PM
Six months of Crede isn't going to get you that much, is it?
We got far less than six months of Crede in 2005 and look what we got. The Joe Crede that ended the 2005 season wasn't the Joe Crede that started it. He is a difference maker although I don't know if other teams would realize just how valuable he can be, which is the same reason that I never want to lose him.

cheeses_h_rice
05-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Crede's bat, IMO, is just a plus. He's like Uribe in that his defense is why he's so valuable to the team. If he hits .210 this year, all year, I'll eat my ****ing hat, too.

skottyj242
05-08-2007, 01:42 PM
The starters have been inconsistent?

balke
05-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Crede is good trade bait, since supposedly Fields is really good and whoever gets Crede gets another season out of him.

Good defensive 3rd baseman are somewhat hard to come by. Sox should be careful with that.

What if Crede got us a top SS though? They can at least listen around the league for offers.

palehozenychicty
05-08-2007, 01:48 PM

I was gonna say the same thing, that they're near the top of the AL in all pitching categories. With eyesight, the starters have had troublesome early innings and settled down. They've been pretty good overall. As for the blog, meh. Crede ain't going nowhere.

chaotic8512
05-08-2007, 01:50 PM
He is a difference maker although I don't know if other teams would realize just how valuable he can be, which is the same reason that I never want to lose him.

That's my logic too. The way Crede is slighted in his GG-like defense over guys like Chavez and Inge might take away from his perceived market worth. But yes, I'm feeling the same way you are, I don't want to lose that glove at third.

Let's just hope his bat doesn't stay cold for much longer. :(:

WizardsofOzzie
05-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Let me think ummmm...NO!

nodiggity59
05-08-2007, 01:54 PM
I think the Sox should keep Crede, b/c I believe his actual value far outweighs his trade value.

That said, I want no part of him as a FA for more than $8mil a year. His bat, while potent, is far too streaky and inconsistent to offer more than that.

palehozenychicty
05-08-2007, 02:00 PM
I think the Sox should keep Crede, b/c I believe his actual value far outweighs his trade value.

That said, I want no part of him as a FA for more than $8mil a year. His bat, while potent, is far too streaky and inconsistent to offer more than that.

Therein lies the Crede dilemma. He's been cold since last August. It all depends on how Fields progresses in Triple-A. If he plays well the next couple years, Crede is gone after next year.

Chicken Dinner
05-08-2007, 02:02 PM

I don't think he'll get 8 mil from the Sox.

dickallen15
05-08-2007, 02:19 PM
Josh Fields will make Brian Anderson look like Ichiro when he gets a few major league at bats.

palehozenychicty
05-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Josh Fields will make Brian Anderson look like Ichiro when he gets a few major league at bats.

:D: ha.

GregO23
05-09-2007, 01:20 PM
How about we add the bats of (Jim Thome, Scott Podsednik, Toby Hall) That will help us out very much I think. The only player I would trade for Crede for would be Miguel Tejada, but why would the O's even look at that? Crede, Uribe, pitcher prospect? then maybe

EDIT: Crede would look terrible in an Oriole jeresy haha

JohnTucker0814
05-09-2007, 01:46 PM
How about we add the bats of (Jim Thome, Scott Podsednik, Toby Hall) That will help us out very much I think. The only player I would trade for Crede for would be Miguel Tejada, but why would the O's even look at that? Crede, Uribe, pitcher prospect? then maybe

EDIT: Crede would look terrible in an Oriole jeresy haha

There are several guys I'd take for Crede... none of which we could get for Crede... =)

AnkleSox
05-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Exactly what I thought. The starters have been the most consistent part of the team. What a dumbass

esbrechtel
05-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Someone asked a similar question in the Sox mailbag and Mekin said he hasn't even heard a whisper about any Crede trades...on top of that isn't it too early to start talking about selling the farm?

beck72
05-13-2007, 06:59 AM
The sox wouldn't get much value if they dealt Joe. They certainly wouldn't get the bat they need--a .300 hitter with a high OBP.

This guy sounds like he's fishing for a deal. If Joe stays cold, who would trade for him? If he gets hot, then why would the sox trade him?

Frontman
05-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Why is it that these rumors start? Crede has never been a "big bat" player, more of a timely hitter in the clutch. That being said, he hasn't been that way recently, nor has most of the roster. I don't see Joe getting moved until the original starting lineup is back, as "getting a bat" would just be as easy as getting Big Jim back in the DH slot (I do think these injuries have taken their toll on Jim. Highly doubtful to see him at first during interleague play.)

While its easy to dismiss comments like this, especially when it has "the starters have been inconsistent," there might be something to it; but I would trust Merkin over anyone who works for a company of Yahoos.

:D: