PDA

View Full Version : Are the Red Sox/Yankees good for baseball?

Fenway
05-08-2007, 08:47 AM
I'm not asking if you hate the Yankees and Red Sox.

However is the rivalry good for baseball as a whole?

On the plus side the games between them usually are better than average and many are classic.

On the minus side they drive ticket prices up for everyone.

MarySwiss
05-08-2007, 08:53 AM

On the plus side the games between them usually are better than average and many are classic.

Fens, I can only speak for myself, but as a real Sox fan, I don't give a damn about their rivalry. And I doubt I'm alone in that. Seems to me likely that it would mean a lot more to the Red Sawx and Yanks fans than to those of us who aren't.

With regard to your question, I hope you realize that if both teams were kidnapped by space aliens, two things would happen:

1) There would be a lot of depressed people at ESPN, and
2) "Baseball as a whole" would probably survive.

rdwj
05-08-2007, 08:54 AM
I think ANY rivalry is good for baseball. What's annoying is that ESPN treats it like the World Series EVERY ****ing time.

ewokpelts
05-08-2007, 08:55 AM
yes and no.

it takes attention away from more deserving teams but it does help sell mlbtv and extra innings packages

casual fans are being TOLD what to like instead of local teams
but merch sales for red sox and yanks benefit all teams

i dont like the rivalry being thrown down our throats, but it is ok for those two fanbases.

IndianWhiteSox
05-08-2007, 08:58 AM

In a word: NO!

As this 'rivalry" in the past five years pretty much ruined the chance of more teams getting exposed during ESPN's love fest with this "epic battle". Thus having low post-season ratings if the Blow Sawx or Yanks aren't in the World Series or ALCS. The funny thing about this great rivalry is that it really hasn't been much of a rivalry outside of a few times in the early 20's, mid 70's and in the past 5 years or so. I remember back when I was a child how almost no one would even mention this match-up, let alone call it the best rivalry in sports. The sad part is, the Blow Sawx fans are making this a rivalry more so than the Yankmee$ fans, as from a few Yankee$ fans I know really don't care about the Blow Sawx, unlike Boston who is absolutely obsessed with the Yankmee$. At least the Yankmee$ have won 26 titles where as the White Sox have won a World Series more recently than the Blow Sawx.

Fenway
05-08-2007, 09:05 AM
The sad part is, the Blow Sawx fans are making this a rivalry more so than the Yankmee$ fans, as from a few Yankee$ fans I know really don't care about the Blow Sawx

I think the New York tabloids stoke it more than the Boston media does. That maybe because the Daily News and Post sell a lot of papers in New England.

Still I would agree that Red Sox fans are obsessed with NYY. I'm not the only one with a preset in my car for WCBS and it isn't to get traffic on the 8's.

Red Sox were off last night but most of my friends were either watching ESPN or had WCBS on. (John Sterling was near tears when Mo coughed up a homer in the 9th in a loss to Seattle)

I don't think Yankees fans listen to Boston radio for the games but their internet boards certainly follow every Boston move.

southside rocks
05-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Fens, I can only speak for myself, but as a real Sox fan, I don't give a damn about their rivalry. And I doubt I'm alone in that. Seems to me likely that it would mean a lot more to the Red Sawx and Yanks fans than to those of us who aren't.

With regard to your question, I hope you realize that if both teams were kidnapped by space aliens, two things would happen:

1) There would be a lot of depressed people at ESPN, and
2) "Baseball as a whole" would probably survive.

Nah, you can speak for me too. :thumbsup:

What she said. And the depression at ESPN wouldn't affect me, since I so very rarely watch the channel.

WhiteSox5187
05-08-2007, 09:19 AM
I think every rivalry helps baseball and there have been some fairly classic moments in Red Sox - Yankees rivarly. But ESPN tends to forget there are twenty eight other teams other than the Yankees and the Sawks, which is why ratings are so low if other teams are in the playoffs (and it doesn't get to seven games)...but it's not national news every time these guys meet up in the regular season.

the gooch
05-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Are the Red Sox/Yankees good for baseball?Is ESPN good for baseball?

The only thing that makes these two teams different from all the others is the hype. That extra revenue has continued the cycle to make them the heinous beasts they are.

IndianWhiteSox
05-08-2007, 09:49 AM
Is ESPN good for baseball?

The only thing that makes these two teams different from all the others is the hype. That extra revenue has continued the cycle to make them the heinous beasts they are.

The real question, is whether is ESPN good for the major sports in general?

The answer is NO!

Fenway
05-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Is ESPN good for baseball?

Is ESPN good for sports would be a better question.

In the past few years the Red Sox-Yankees DID live up to the hype.

The 2003 ALCS was classic especially the way Game 7 played out and then 2004 topped it. Games 4-5 of the 2004 ALCS have to be included on a short list of greatest games of all time. Game 5 was insane starting at 5 PM and ending around 11. Most of the country was supposed to see Astros-Cards later that night but never did.

itsnotrequired
05-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Is ESPN good for sports would be a better question.

In the past few years the Red Sox-Yankees DID live up to the hype.

The 2003 ALCS was classic especially the way Game 7 played out and then 2004 topped it. Games 4-5 of the 2004 ALCS have to be included on a short list of greatest games of all time. Game 5 was insane starting at 5 PM and ending around 11. Most of the country was supposed to see Astros-Cards later that night but never did.

A far better debate. Any rivalry, real or "fabricated", that brings exposure to the sport is a good thing. How it is presented is a matter of the networks and media in general.

ondafarm
05-08-2007, 09:57 AM
I think it's bad because this is the whole reason the unbalanced schedule is in place, so that these guys get 19 games against each other a year. I'd rather see the schedule balanced with 12 games a year against each AL opponent and 1 1/2 extra games per year against in division opponents.

A typical year:
12 games against each team in the AL East and AL West.
13 games against the Twins and the Tigers.
14 games against the Indians and Royals.

Or, alternatively, if you want real interleague:

3 games against each other MLB team.
3 additional games against every AL team.
2 additional games against all but one AL team (which rotates out of your division)
3 additional games against every team in your division.

The Sox would play:

3 games against each NL team
8 games against each AL East and AL West team (except one, 6 games)
11 games against each ALCD team.

I'd prefer either to the current interleague setup.

balke
05-08-2007, 10:09 AM
I don't think there's a town in the U.S. where you can't find Boston and NY hats. Even worldwide these teams are marketed. I think on a global scale it might be good for baseball.

I think the thing that MLB misses out on and kills themselves with is the downplay of certain rivalries. The focus doesn't always have to center on the East. Especially when the central has been the best in the AL for the past 2 seasons. Power Rankings right now have Boston at #1. I'd rather have a series with them right now than Cleveland or Detroit.

PKalltheway
05-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Most of the country was supposed to see Astros-Cards later that night but never did.
If I'm not mistaken, in the Astros/Cards game that night, Brandon Backe and Brad Lidge combined on a one-hitter, and the game ended on a Jeff Kent walk-off, so that game was no slouch either.

Fenway
05-08-2007, 10:23 AM
ESPN and FOX go overboard with Bos-NYY for a simple reason. RATINGS

They play and the number double nationwide.......

In the NL you have a great rivalry in Atlanta-Mets but it is muted somewhat by the 800 miles between the cities. Dodgers-Giants has its moments but it has never been like it was back in New York.

Boston-New York is a perfect storm. Only 200 miles between the 2 stadiums and baseball fans in every town in between on I-95. WEEI and WFAN going at it daily and then the NY tabloids and the Boston media.

The Yankees are the centerpiece as they are the team we are all supposed to hate. In 2001 I *tried* to root for NYY knowing how badly the city needed it. I wasn't thrilled that long suffering Diamondback fans could be rewarded so quickly and didn't want them to win.

But when Arizona came back in the bottom of the 9th I leaped out of my chair in delight.

NY means next year

ComiskeyBrewer
05-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Is the rivalry good for baseball? Yes and No. Yes because it brings extra pub to the league. No because that rivalry is the reason why mediocre pitchers are getting 10 Million a year.

Lip Man 1
05-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Seems to me it wasn't much of a rivalry between say 1960 and 1975 was it?

Forget both of them and their fans and the horses they road in on.

Lip

Lip Man 1
05-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Fenway:

George Solomon himself wrote when he was the ESPN ombundsman that and I'm paraphrasing, 'ESPN needs to understand that people in Phoenix, Arizona don't care about this like the folks who live East of the Allegheny's.'

There's nothing wrong with ESPN taking note of this because as you say the ratings, but what I'm tired of and I think MOST fans are tired of, is having it SHOVED down our throats and then being left with the impression from ESPN that if we don't care, somehow we are just rubes, to dumb to 'understand' this Earth shaking situation.

If it's so 'Earth shaking' they why do they play 18 damn times a season?

Please...

Lip

FedEx227
05-08-2007, 11:19 AM
It hurts baseball tremendously. I remember us having this discussion when the World Series rolled around last year. The casual fan does not want to watch a World Series between the Tigers and the Cardinals because they don't know anybody from either of those teams. Instead, they want to see Yankees or Red Sox. It's hurt MLB tremendously, because they don't market all of their teams the same way the NFL or even to a lesser extent the NBA does.

palehozenychicty
05-08-2007, 11:23 AM
It hurts baseball tremendously. I remember us having this discussion when the World Series rolled around last year. The casual fan does not want to watch a World Series between the Tigers and the Cardinals because they don't know anybody from either of those teams. Instead, they want to see Yankees or Red Sox. It's hurt MLB tremendously, because they don't market all of their teams the same way the NFL or even to a lesser extent the NBA does.

Exactly. Baseball has never made a conscious effort to market teams within the game, and therefore, they rely on the Yankees/Sawx revenue stream when a more egalitarian structure would push the game to even greater monetary heights. It possibly also affects the participation of other demographics in the game e.g. Afro-Americans.

Nellie_Fox
05-08-2007, 11:25 AM
ESPN and FOX go overboard with Bos-NYY for a simple reason. RATINGS

They play and the number double nationwide.......Chicken/egg. Could it be that the ratings go up because the casual baseball fan is told repeatedly that they are supposed to care about this rivalry? That every single game is Armegedon?

Fenway
05-08-2007, 11:31 AM
If it's so 'Earth shaking' they why do they play 18 damn times a season?

Please...

Lip

I agree 18-19 times a year is too much.

I *suspect* that ESPN producers get caught up in the rivalry because they sit right in the middle of it and have access to WFAN,WEEI, the papers from both cities etc.

Of course it is a double edge sword. They know Boston and NYY attracts a higher rating than anybody else in baseball so when it comes to Sportscenter they all going to play towards these people.

Best story in baseball so far in 2007 is Milwaukee and if I didn't have EI I would never see them.

The third darling of ESPN is that team on the Northside as they as well have a national base.

Thank gawd the 2003 World Series was not Red Sox-Cubs because the hype machine in Bristol would have exploded along with the rest of the national media. Letterman would have had the Billy Goat playing on Babe Ruth's piano.

The ratings also would have shattered anything in the cable TV era.

The next month will be brutal with the Clemens watch. I expect ESPN will cover at least one of his minor league starts and if his first game is at Fenway on June 1st it will be complete insanity.

Uncle_Patrick
05-08-2007, 11:36 AM

The only thing that makes many of those games "classic" is because of the emphasis on the rivalry. It's not as if the best baseball ever played happens only when the Yankees and Red Sox play each other.

There are things that are good and bad about the rivalry. Unfortunately, the emphasis has led to the popular idea that the Yankees and Red Sox are the only teams that matter. I don't see how this helps the other 28 teams in the league, outside of increased attendence when the Yankees or Red Sox come to town.

MUsoxfan
05-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Best story in baseball so far in 2007 is Milwaukee and if I didn't have EI I would never see them.

Exactly. They're like this the MLB version of this year's Saints and nobody knows about them. Instead of showcasing the team with the best record in baseball, ESPN will go out of their way to televise the last place Yankees.

At least the NFL will rearrange games according to who's good and who's not. The Yankees and Red Sox could be fighting for last in the east and they'd still show them over teams that are playing well and deserve attention. When the Brewers win the division this year after running away with that division, people will honestly be surprised that they're even in the playoffs, muchless been dominant all year long.

Uncle_Patrick
05-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Exactly. They're like this the MLB version of this year's Saints and nobody knows about them. Instead of showcasing the team with the best record in baseball, ESPN will go out of their way to televise the last place Yankees.

Unfortunately for the Brewers, they are from Milwaukee. They didn't have a tragedy like new Orleans and they aren't the center of the universe like New York.

MUsoxfan
05-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately for the Brewers, they are from Milwaukee. They didn't have a tragedy like new Orleans and they aren't the center of the universe like New York.

But even if it wasn't the Saints....say it was the Cardinals that were doing well....the NFL would put them on a couple Sunday night games to showcase them

Fenway
05-08-2007, 11:51 AM
But even if it wasn't the Saints....say it was the Cardinals that were doing well....the NFL would put them on a couple Sunday night games to showcase them

The original concept of Sunday Night Baseball was that they would televise ONE game in every park all season which was great because you did get to see everybody.

The FOX Saturday games are designed for local audiences. FOX makes their big profits on local ad sales when they televise NYY, Boston, Cubs , WS.

In other markets they usually feed Buck and McCarver and most times they are doing either a Boston or New York game.

The huge difference between FOX and the beloved NBC game of the week is that when NBC had the rights, the home markets still got the local telecast.

itsnotrequired
05-08-2007, 11:55 AM

The Cardinals are on ESPN several times this year as is Detroit. From now through the middle of July, Detroit is on ESPN three times, one more than Boston.

VenturaFan23
05-08-2007, 11:58 AM
In a word: NO!

As this 'rivalry" in the past five years pretty much ruined the chance of more teams getting exposed during ESPN's love fest with this "epic battle". Thus having low post-season ratings if the Blow Sawx or Yanks aren't in the World Series or ALCS. The funny thing about this great rivalry is that it really hasn't been much of a rivalry outside of a few times in the early 20's, mid 70's and in the past 5 years or so. I remember back when I was a child how almost no one would even mention this match-up, let alone call it the best rivalry in sports. The sad part is, the Blow Sawx fans are making this a rivalry more so than the Yankmee$ fans, as from a few Yankee$ fans I know really don't care about the Blow Sawx, unlike Boston who is absolutely obsessed with the Yankmee$. At least the Yankmee$ have won 26 titles where as the White Sox have won a World Series more recently than the Blow Sawx.

I think he's nailed it on the head here. When I was a Yankee fan growing up in Jersey back in the 80's/early 90s, there wasn't that much hype everytime they played each other. When I would go to Yankee Stadium when they played Boston, you would get the eventual "Boston sucks!" everytime you'd see someone wearing Red Sox gear, but that was it. Of course, this was around the time the Yankees sucked, so I'm sure that had something to do with it. But, like most posters have said, ESPN has a lot do to with it now since they have REALLY hyped it up so much in the past years like they are the only 2 teams worth talking about. It's gotten really out of hand now big time. The rivalry is great because of the history. But it's gotten blown so out of proportion it's pathetic thanks to the likes of ESPN for covering it nonstop. When I tune into Sportscenter or BBTN, I want to see highlights of EVERY game at equal time. Not over 20 minutes of coverage about the Red Sox and Yankees. Isn't that what the supposed "worldwide leader in sports" is supposed to do??

Iwritecode
05-08-2007, 12:14 PM
The 2003 ALCS was classic especially the way Game 7 played out and then 2004 topped it. Games 4-5 of the 2004 ALCS have to be included on a short list of greatest games of all time. Game 5 was insane starting at 5 PM and ending around 11.

I missed all of those games. What happened?

Honestly, I don't think I've watched a NY/Bos game since... ever. I've caught a few of the highlights while watching the ticker at the bottom of the screen waitng to see the Sox score...

jabrch
05-08-2007, 12:17 PM
:whocares

Fenway
05-08-2007, 12:25 PM
I missed all of those games. What happened?

Boston choked again :tongue:

So there. For the 86th consecutive autumn, the Red Sox are not going to win the World Series. No baseball team in history has recovered from a 3-0 deficit and this most-promising Sox season in 18 years could be officially over tonight. Mercy.

Dan Shaughnessey

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/10/17/red_sox_on_brink_of_elimination_as_yanks_pound_the m_19_8/
Well, in case you haven't noticed, it's not. The Red Sox have laid a brontosaurus egg in the American League Championship Series. They are down, 3-0, after last night's 19-8 rout, and, in this sport, that is an official death sentence. Soon it will be over, and we will spend another dreary winter lamenting this and lamenting that. Sure, you can root for the National League team to defeat the Yankees, but just exactly how satisfying is that going to be? When Red Sox seasons end, people normally focus on the tragic endings, the great what-ifs? Not this time.

Bob Ryan

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/10/17/even_by_their_standards_this_is_a_new_low/

:D:

Hitmen77
05-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Rivalries are good for sports and the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is no exception. HOWEVER, what is bad for baseball is how NYY/BOS coverage and hype is so over the top that the other 28 teams (or at least most of those 28 teams) don't exist or don't matter in the eyes of the national media.

ESPN, Fox, and MLB are being very short sighted by obsessing over the fact that these 2 teams will get them the highest ratings or sell the most t-shirts. They do this at the expense of the long-term benefit of building interest in the league as a whole. Then, when October rolls around, the league and the networks all cry because "nobody cares" that the Cardinals or Tigers or White Sox are in the World Series. Why is this so? Because those teams have been ignored in national coverage during the entire regular season. They spend 6 months pretending teams like the White Sox don't exist and then wonder why there is no interest in MLB come October unless their precious few favorite teams (Yankees, Boston, Mets, Cubs, maybe a few others) are in it.

If baseball wants to keep bringing in more fans nationwide (not just in the biggest few markets), then the coverage has to embrace many more franchises and it has to stop acting like NY and Boston are the center of the universe.

I can't wait to see how disappointed Fox and ESPN will be this October when they end up with a White Sox vs. Brewers World Series.:cool:

palehozenychicty
05-08-2007, 12:51 PM
I can't wait to see how disappointed Fox and ESPN will be this October when they end up with a White Sox vs. Brewers World Series.:cool:

Amen to that.

champagne030
05-08-2007, 12:54 PM
The next month will be brutal with the Clemens watch. I expect ESPN will cover at least one of his minor league starts and if his first game is at Fenway on June 1st it will be complete insanity.

It's already brutal and complete insanity with the way ESPN crams the Yankees and Red Sox down our throats. Fat Papi farts and they've got ESPN 360 covering it for the next three days. I think a big problem is a lot of these goofs are biased fans of their team....Berman, Gammons, Neyer....all drool for the Red Sox.

Sure, it's big ratings in Boston and New York, but most fans west of Jersey don't give a **** about these teams.

Tragg
RedSox/Yankees is a creation of ESPN in order to hype Boston.

Baby Fisk
Who are these "Brewers" everyone keeps talking about? Is it some kind of beer league team you all play for?

Seriously tho, MLB is being increasingly portrayed around the globe as some kind of eternal battle between Yankees-Red Sox and then everybody else.

Observe: linky (http://news.naver.com/sports/index.nhn?category=mlb&ctg=cartoon&mod=read&seq=326&office_id=223&article_id=0000000166)

Is there a translator in the house?

Lip Man 1
05-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Jeff Rickert of ESPN radio is a friend of mine and we were talking about this. He's from the Midwest (Nebraska), went to school in Colorado and doesn't care either way about Boston or the Yankees. When he got to ESPN radio he told me he was asked by folks all the time which of the two teams he 'rooted' for. When he said 'neither' he told me he often got a strange look like 'how can you possibly NOT care?'

That's what I mean by having it shoved down your throats.

As for me perconally I don't give a damn in the slightest degree about either team and when ESPN (TV or Radio) starts jamming it down the throat I switch channels or shut the device off.

Period.

Also I thought this column may be of some interest:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3016

Lip

balke
05-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Last night was hilarious listening to the announcers drool all over the Yankees players. "And in steps Johnny Damon". "When you think Johnny Damon the word "tough" appears. If someone wanted to say he's the best leadoff hitter in baseball, it would be tough to disagree".

Best crap I heard all season was Gammons before the Matsuzaka-Felix Hernandez game telling some lame story about how special "Dice-K" was because of the way he prepared for the game. He got a massage and did wind sprints earlier in the day, and somehow that shows how special a pitcher he is? GROSS.

nodiggity59
05-08-2007, 04:21 PM
ESPN's coverage of the rivalry is bad for the sport. There are endless opportunities to promote the sport and to energize fan bases by exposing other teams and other good match ups. Instead, ESPN goes for the $$$, and the potential for growth is lost.

The rivalry, unto itself, produces nice story lines and drama. But there really is no need to televise every game they play or always cover it on sportscenter.

It's a great financial move for ESPN and a terrible move for MLB in terms of growing the game. As others have said, I think it directly contributes to the lack of interest in the post season when the Yanks/Sox are eliminated. And that, no matter how you look at it, is BAD for the game.

EDIT:

Sorry, I have to continue. Look at the NFL. The heralded Pats-Colts rivalry still helps the sport without being the lead story every single ****ing night.

Fenway
05-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Part of the reason ESPN shows so many Boston and New York games is they want to pipe the other team into the market. Boston probably gets NYY 20 times a year on ESPN and NY gets Boston about the same amount of time.

ondafarm
05-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Jeff Rickert of ESPN radio is a friend of mine and we were talking about this. He's from the Midwest (Nebraska), went to school in Colorado and doesn't care either way about Boston or the Yankees. When he got to ESPN radio he told me he was asked by folks all the time which of the two teams he 'rooted' for. When he said 'neither' he told me he often got a strange look like 'how can you possibly NOT care?'

That's what I mean by having it shoved down your throats.

As for me perconally I don't give a damn in the slightest degree about either team and when ESPN (TV or Radio) starts jamming it down the throat I switch channels or shut the device off.

Period.

Also I thought this column may be of some interest:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3016

Lip

Pre-2005 when I lived elsewhere (overseas or North Carolina or California) I'd get identified as a 'baseball fan from Chicago' and people would assume I was a Flubs fan. I'd say "No, the other team." Always got a blank stare. I'd add "The Sox." "Oh, Yaz, Rice, etc." "No, the White Sox." Another blank stare, "Who?" Always as if the only teams which existed where: Yankee$, Red Sawk, Flubs, Giants & Dodgers. More than a few times while wearing a White Sox cap, I'd get questioned about who my favorite rapper was.

Fenway
05-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Pre-2005 when I lived elsewhere (overseas or North Carolina or California) I'd get identified as a 'baseball fan from Chicago' and people would assume I was a Flubs fan. I'd say "No, the other team." Always got a blank stare. I'd add "The Sox." "Oh, Yaz, Rice, etc." "No, the White Sox." Another blank stare, "Who?" Always as if the only teams which existed where: Yankee$, Red Sawk, Flubs, Giants & Dodgers. More than a few times while wearing a White Sox cap, I'd get questioned about who my favorite rapper was.

The nitwit that does Yankees radio kept repeating that this was the first time the Yankees had been in Chicago since 1932 when the Yanks played at Wrigley in 2003.

PaulDrake
05-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Pre-2005 when I lived elsewhere (overseas or North Carolina or California) I'd get identified as a 'baseball fan from Chicago' and people would assume I was a Flubs fan. I'd say "No, the other team." Always got a blank stare. I'd add "The Sox." "Oh, Yaz, Rice, etc." "No, the White Sox." Another blank stare, "Who?" Always as if the only teams which existed where: Yankee$, Red Sawk, Flubs, Giants & Dodgers. More than a few times while wearing a White Sox cap, I'd get questioned about who my favorite rapper was. I recently changed dentists. When he found out I spent many years in Chicago, he asked me all about the Cubs and dear old Wrigley Field. I told him Wrigley Field was a dump, most "fans" didn't go there for the game, and the White Sox have always been my team. Of course his reply was "isn't it dangerous to go see a White Sox game?" I did my best to explain the history of Chicago baseball, and the gentrification that was occurring in Bridgeport, Armour Square, Chinatown and Bronzeville. He was incredulous, and expressed an interest in checking out the area's real estate. Anyway, it's the same tired old story. You're from Chicago? How about those Cubs?

gosiu
05-09-2007, 07:59 PM

At least the NFL will rearrange games according to who's good and who's not. The Yankees and Red Sox could be fighting for last in the east and they'd still show them over teams that are playing well and deserve attention. When the Brewers win the division this year after running away with that division, people will honestly be surprised that they're even in the playoffs, muchless been dominant all year long.
ESPN and FOX both have flex schedules in the second half of the year (ESPN moreso than FOX).

TommyJohn
05-09-2007, 08:27 PM
The nitwit that does Yankees radio kept repeating that this was the first time the Yankees had been in Chicago since 1932 when the Yanks played at Wrigley in 2003.

He is a nitwit. It was actually the first time the Yankees had been to Chicago since 1938. How could he forget DiMaggio's homer off ol' Diz?

MUsoxfan
05-09-2007, 09:04 PM
ESPN and FOX both have flex schedules in the second half of the year (ESPN moreso than FOX).

They'll flex it to make sure they show more Yankees and Red Sox games

SoxFan78
05-10-2007, 08:10 AM
They'll flex it to make sure they show more Yankees and Red Sox games

For example, the two games on ESPN this week so far and the next couple of weeks...

Monday: Seattle at Yankees
Wednesday: Rangers at Yankees
Sunday: Tigers at Twins (must be a mistake!)
5/14: Cubs at Mets
5/16: Tigers at Red Sox
5/20: Yankees at Mets
5/21: Red Sox at Yankees
5/23: Red Sox at Yankees

In a 8 game span only TWO games dont have the Red Sox or Yankees playing.

Fenway
05-10-2007, 08:15 AM
For example, the two games on ESPN this week so far and the next couple of weeks...

Monday: Seattle at Yankees
Wednesday: Rangers at Yankees
Sunday: Tigers at Twins (must be a mistake!)
5/14: Cubs at Mets
5/16: Tigers at Red Sox
5/20: Yankees at Mets
5/21: Red Sox at Yankees
5/23: Red Sox at Yankees

In a 8 game span only TWO games dont have the Red Sox or Yankees playing.

That list doesn't account for the alternate feeds ESPN pumps into New England (Yankees) and Red Sox into New York State

Fenway
05-11-2007, 09:54 AM
What is weird is you get a better selections of games in London. They even showing a Crush game

http://www.nasn.com/content/nasn/portal.nsf/systemcontent/tvschedule?open&dateadjust=0&

Hitmen77
05-11-2007, 11:28 AM
For a great example of how the national media's Red Sox/Yankees obsession is bad for baseball, just listen to the ESPN play-by-play of the 2005 ALDS between the Red Sox and Chicago.

I think it's shameful that national coverage of a MLB playoff series was so lopsided with Red Sox boosterism. Not exact quotes but..."Ground ball to Graffanino...OOOHHHH NOOOOO!!!!! Everybody's safe! :whiner::whiner::whiner:". And then at the final out of game 3: "....and the RED SOX dream of repeating is over.:whiner::whiner::whiner: Congratulations to the Red Sox for a great season and congratulations to the White Sox". IIRC, they were also caught referring to Boston as "we" during that series.

Pathetic! Can you even imagine the end of the Patriots/Colts game being covered that way?

It's Major LEAGUE Baseball. Not Major Market Teams Baseball. You can't maintain a national interest in the sport if everyone is led to believe that all teams outside of NY, Boston, LA, and the north side of Chicago are irrelevant.

Fenway
05-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Nobody in Boston can stand Chris Berman either

For a great example of how the national media's Red Sox/Yankees obsession is bad for baseball, just listen to the ESPN play-by-play of the 2005 ALDS between the Red Sox and Chicago.

I think it's shameful that national coverage of a MLB playoff series was so lopsided with Red Sox boosterism. Not exact quotes but..."Ground ball to Graffanino...OOOHHHH NOOOOO!!!!! Everybody's safe! :whiner::whiner::whiner:". And then at the final out of game 3: "....and the RED SOX dream of repeating is over.:whiner::whiner::whiner: Congratulations to the Red Sox for a great season and congratulations to the White Sox". IIRC, they were also caught referring to Boston as "we" during that series.

Pathetic! Can you even imagine the end of the Patriots/Colts game being covered that way?

It's Major LEAGUE Baseball. Not Major Market Teams Baseball. You can't maintain a national interest in the sport if everyone is led to believe that all teams outside of NY, Boston, LA, and the north side of Chicago are irrelevant.