PDA

View Full Version : Is It Wrong To Despise The Art Of The Home Run?

Thome25
05-07-2007, 05:24 PM
I was just sitting here thinking to myself, "I can't stand the home run or nothing attitude in baseball these days."

It seems like this attitude is spread equally among fans, GMs, and players who are looking to beef up their home run totals so they can hit their big payday.

Home Runs seem to be "sexy" in the same way that slam dunks and tons of scoring are in basketball. It seems to be the same way in the NFL as well. People don't appreciate a great defense in the NFL the way they dig huge touchdown totals.

My absolute favorite hit in baseball is the 3-run triple. Watching a player race his way for 3B not knowing if he'll be safe or out is the most exciting play in baseball IMO.

A double down the line or in the gap splitting the outfielders is running a close second.

I'd also rather see players who steal bases as well.

Nothing beats baseball the old school way that is well pitched with triples, doubles, bunts, players stealing bases (what ever happened to the lost art of stealing home?) Gimme a 1-0 or a 2-1 game any day of the week.

Baseball can keep the 16-9, 13-0, and 17-16 games with tons of home runs.

what do you guys and gals think?

Chicken Dinner
05-07-2007, 05:30 PM
I'll take a good clutch hit any day, be it a homer or a drag bunt.

DrewSox56
05-07-2007, 05:34 PM
I was just sitting here thinking to myself, "I can't stand the home run or nothing attitude in baseball these days."

It seems like this attitude is spread equally among fans, GMs, and players who are looking to beef up their home run totals so they can hit their big payday.

Home Runs seem to be "sexy" in the same way that slam dunks and tons of scoring are in basketball. It seems to be the same way in the NFL as well. People don't appreciate a great defense in the NFL the way they dig huge touchdown totals.

My absolute favorite hit in baseball is the 3-run triple. Watching a player race his way for 3B not knowing if he'll be safe or out is the most exciting play in baseball IMO.

A double down the line or in the gap splitting the outfielders is running a close second.

Nothing beats baseball the old school way that is well pitched with triples, doubles, bunts, players stealing bases (what ever happened to the lost art of stealing home?) Gimme a 1-0 or a 2-1 game any day of the week.

I think you should change your screen name.

DoItForDanPasqua
05-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Home runs have become boring. I don't think there is a more exciting play than the suicide squeeze.

FedEx227
05-07-2007, 05:45 PM
I like home runs mixed in with speed/good hitting.

It is one of the reasons although hes a Toon, Grady Sizemore is my favorite player. Yes, he'll get you 25 homers a year, but he can run, he can hit doubles, steal bases and play great defense centerfield.

Grady's 2006 numbers:
.290/.375/.533, 28 HR, 76 RBI, 22 SB, 53 2B, 11 3B

Ditto for Carl Crawford.

I don't understand why so many people are fascinated with the home-run...

Thome25
05-07-2007, 05:57 PM
I think you should change your screen name.

I think you may be right. This is a fairly new opinion for me. Don't get me wrong I still love it when those pinwheels start turning and the scoreboard starts exploding but, the HR or nothing attitude is starting to annoy me.

I love Thome's HR's but, I admire him more for his attitude on and off the field and his desire to play for our White Sox.

With that said, the 3-run triple is still my favorite and IMO the most exciting play in baseball.

Chrisaway
05-07-2007, 06:00 PM
I vote for the good ol twin killing.

MarySwiss
05-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Home runs have become boring. I don't think there is a more exciting play than the suicide squeeze.

You stole my answer! :cool:

TDog
05-07-2007, 06:08 PM
A game-winning home run when your team is losing is undoubtedly a huge thrill. Context is everything, though, and most of the marketing people don't seem to understand that.

Totally out of context, a triple is more exciting than a home run. There's the hitter running the play out and the defense rushing to play the ball. If the bases are loaded, you have people running everywhere and usually a play at third or the plate.

But the marketing people don't understand that the game itself is exciting. A few years ago, I heard ESPN call sacrifice flies boring. When you stop to think about it, many sacrifice flies are home run balls with the misfortune of being hit in parks where they haven't move the fences in far enough. If it isn't a deep blast, you have a play at the plate. The ball isn't dead. You have running and throwing. You have more action, and people are all about action.

In some cases a sacrifice fly is more exciting than a home run. A sacrifice fly with the your team down by 6 in the 8th isn't exciting. But how exciting is a solo home run in that situation?

lumpyspun
05-07-2007, 06:16 PM
I love the "strike 'em out, throw 'em out." Even the name of the play is cool. To think of everything that has to go right to get it done, it makes the play even more special.

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-07-2007, 06:18 PM
The walk off home run is the best way for a game to end. A home run in the late innings to put a team ahead after being down is great. A solo home run in the first inning is a tad boring. It all depends on the situation.

MDF3530
05-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Double play by far, especially around the horn and strike-em-out, throw-em-out. Not a big fan of the 3-6-3, primarily because there's a reason why first basemen are first basemen. Chances are they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a throw.

TDog
05-07-2007, 06:37 PM
The walk off home run is the best way for a game to end. ...

Better than a game-ending 2-out triple with your team losing and the winning run scoring in a close play at the plate?

What about a suicide squeeze, where fans see the runner from third breaking for the plate as the pitch is being delivered and the batter squares up? Is a home run more exciting if it's hit on the concourse, or if it's just out of the reach of an outfielder's leap?

I honestly believe Podsednik's home run in Game 2 of the 2005 World Series --while an incredibly exciting home run -- would have been more exciting if the hit had stayed in the park and Podsednik had run it out to win the game. Even the Fox announcers would have been forced to act excited.

FedEx227
05-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Even the Fox announcers would have been forced to act excited.

Let's not go that far.

eastchicagosoxfan
05-07-2007, 07:42 PM
I like the combination of speed and daring. Scoring from second on the infield out. Or scoring from third on a foul-out hit up the line. Pulling off a double steal.

BRDSR
05-07-2007, 07:58 PM
I love the "strike 'em out, throw 'em out." Even the name of the play is cool. To think of everything that has to go right to get it done, it makes the play even more special.

Damn, I thought it was going to be pretty original when I said the strike 'em out, throw 'em out. Definitely the best play in baseball. I love to see a guy strike out on a 96 MPH heater only to have the catcher turn that ball around in the blink of an eye and throw his strike to second, only his has to go 127 feet for the out.

Trivia: What catcher has participated in the most strike 'em out, throw 'em outs in baseball history?

MarySwiss
05-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Damn, I thought it was going to be pretty original when I said the strike 'em out, throw 'em out. Definitely the best play in baseball. I love to see a guy strike out on a 96 MPH heater only to have the catcher turn that ball around in the blink of an eye and throw his strike to second, only his has to go 127 feet for the out.

Trivia: What catcher has participated in the most strike 'em out, throw 'em outs in baseball history?

Carlton Fisk?

SPUDSTER
05-07-2007, 08:06 PM

LAST TIME I CHECKED PITCHING "WINS" CHAMPIONSHIPS. WHEN YOUR AT A BALL GAME THATS A BLOW-OUT, THE FANS START TO LOSE INTEREST AND GET SQUIRRELY.

The Racehorse
05-07-2007, 08:11 PM
The balk... I understand what it is, but since I'm not usually STARING at the pitchers front leg, my first reaction when it's called and played back on replay usually is...

... what?

... where?

... huh.

... now I see it. :D:

MarySwiss
05-07-2007, 08:15 PM
The balk... I understand what it is, but since I'm not usually STARING at the pitchers front leg, my first reaction when it's called and played back on replay usually is...

... what?

... where?

... huh.

... now I see it. :D:

Well, since you understand it--explain it to me. :tongue:

gobears1987
05-07-2007, 09:36 PM
The HR is my favorite outside of the rare triple play.

I'm sorry, but the HR should be the favorite of most who go to USCF. HRs = Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye from the organ, exploding scoreboard w/ fireworks, and of course runs.

I've been present for walk-off HRs, including AJ's against the Dodgers. There is no better play IMO.

What are the top moments of the 2005 regular season?

We talk about two main plays.

:walkoff:

and of course Crede's shot off of Riske. Those defined our season.

HotelWhiteSox
05-07-2007, 09:58 PM
I like pitching, defense, and manufacturing runs. No one might watch, but my league or team would play in stadiums with the fences at about 550 feet. It's cheap now how every stadium has different numbers and you can get really cheap shots or runs at some places. You can keep the DH, but maybe look at it a lot differently.

slobes
05-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Walk off homers are awesome. The fans go absolutely wild, the atmosphere is electric, fireworks, exploding scoreboard, all that jazz.

However, those have their time and place. I hate the kind of guys that go up there and swing out of their shoes just so they'll hit it out of the park one out of ever 30 at bats. Like some people have said, I love the suicide squeeze. A whole lot of excitement packed into a hit that travels only 15 feet. Simply awesome.

FireMariotti
05-07-2007, 10:14 PM
How about an outfielder gunning a guy down at home? Especially if there's contact at the plate.

PKalltheway
05-07-2007, 10:40 PM
How about an outfielder gunning a guy down at home? Especially if there's contact at the plate.
Oh yeah, especially with the game on the line. Oh man, it's so hard for me to pick one. I'll take the rare triple play, but I love triples and walk-off homers, especially walk-off grand slams.:D:

thomas35forever
05-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Nothing like a bases-clearing three-bagger!:D:

IndianWhiteSox
05-07-2007, 11:08 PM

I'm sorry, but the HR should be the favorite of most who go to USCF. HRs = Na Na Hey Hey Goodbye from the organ, exploding scoreboard w/ fireworks, and of course runs.

I've been present for walk-off HRs, including AJ's against the Dodgers. There is no better play IMO.

If were talking about sheer sedimentalism, then I definitely agree with you.

DrewSox56
05-07-2007, 11:15 PM
If were talking about sheer sedimentalism, then I definitely agree with you.

Have you ever been to the Cell? Just curious.

goofymsfan
05-07-2007, 11:28 PM

Good call! I actually got to see one of these at the Rainier game tonight. People have tried to tell me that baseball is boring. I just look at them and tell them, they don't know how to watch baseball. I then start to explain what I find exciting about the game and I can just see them starting to rethink their opinion. I started not liking the "homer" attitude when I was at the Homerun derby in 2001. That was the most boring thing to watch. It was fine when they actually hit a homerun, but waiting for the homerun was boring.

I love the stolen base, inside the park home runs, triples, doubles, the cat and mouse games with the hitter or the runners on the bases.

Nellie_Fox
05-08-2007, 12:06 AM
LAST TIME I CHECKED PITCHING "WINS" CHAMPIONSHIPS. WHEN YOUR AT A BALL GAME THATS A BLOW-OUT, THE FANS START TO LOSE INTEREST AND GET SQUIRRELY.Why are you shouting Spudster? Turn off the caps lock.

WhiteSox5187
05-08-2007, 12:35 AM

I have to pay attention next time, but I'm nearly positive that we only do the Na-Na-Hey Hey when the opposing pitcher is being taken out in the middle of an inning when the Sox are ahead. I know that we used to do it after home runs, but I think that changed. Maybe I'm totally wrong.

For me, there is no play more exciting than a play at the plate. Like when AJ rolled over Barrett. Great play followed by a cheap shot by a shoddy cheap catcher.

StillMissOzzie
05-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Here's one I haven't seen yet: I enjoy the perfectly executed hit and run to put runners on the corners.

I also enjoy games when the Sox are on the road and the game ends in heartbreak for the home team with a double play turned by the Sox.
Walk-off suicide squeeze bunts are also way cool, but they are a dying breed.

I don't despise the home run, but I hate becoming dependent on them. A balanced attack is better!

SMO
:gulp:

MrRoboto83
05-08-2007, 12:41 AM
I'm all for the excitement of a squeeze.

IlliniSox4Life
05-08-2007, 03:58 AM
They all have their merits. Suicide squeezes are awesome though. Pablo's walk off bunt single at CotCII last year was awesome.

dcb56
05-08-2007, 03:58 AM
It doesn't help that all of the new stadiums have been built with "band box" dimensions which only encourages the home run. The short dimensions and relatively symmetrical fields greatly reduce the chances of a triple.

The inside the park home run is my favorite play, but those rarely occur since the fences are so close to home plate and don't allow for well hit balls to land in the field of play, nor do those balls get a chance to take a strange bounce or two against a wall allowing the player to hit the ball to take three or even four bases.

goofymsfan
05-08-2007, 06:35 AM
It doesn't help that all of the new stadiums have been built with "band box" dimensions which only encourages the home run. The short dimensions and relatively symmetrical fields greatly reduce the chances of a triple.

The inside the park home run is my favorite play, but those rarely occur since the fences are so close to home plate and don't allow for well hit balls to land in the field of play, nor do those balls get a chance to take a strange bounce or two against a wall allowing the player to hit the ball to take three or even four bases.

Not all of the new stadiums have band box dimentions, but I agree most of them do. Safeco Field has it's share of homeruns, but it's more of a pitchers park.

Bucky F. Dent
05-08-2007, 07:34 AM
The 6-4-3 double play. Always fun to see the second baseman making that turn.

Mr.1Dog
05-08-2007, 08:49 AM
I am a big fan of the bases loaded walk.:redneck Other than that the suicide squeeze is #1. See Pablo vs. Oakland last year.

soxfanatlanta
05-08-2007, 08:54 AM
6-4-3
or
4-6-3
or
5-4-3

I luv good defense!

(props on the bunt, too!)

D. TODD
05-08-2007, 08:55 AM
A well turned double play,a perfectly executed relay from an outfielder to nail a guy at the plate, or a diving catch. I tend to like the stellar defensive play much more then a long bomb.

gobears1987
05-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I have to pay attention next time, but I'm nearly positive that we only do the Na-Na-Hey Hey when the opposing pitcher is being taken out in the middle of an inning when the Sox are ahead. I know that we used to do it after home runs, but I think that changed. Maybe I'm totally wrong.

They still do it (at least during day games when Nancy is playing). It just isn't as audible as the crowd is too busy screaming and doesn't sing along as they do when a pitcher is yanked. They also play it for a White Sox winner.

soxfanatlanta
05-08-2007, 12:43 PM

Nothing against walk off home runs, but...

http://www.law.umn.edu/uploads/images/3752/Sid_Bream.jpg

Swung, line drive left field! One run is in! Here comes Bream! Here's the throw to the plate! He is...safe! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win! Braves win!

JohnTucker0814
05-08-2007, 01:19 PM

You have to admit there is something very exciting about a game winning HR, any game winning hit. A triple is exciting because it is an extending amount of excitement... you are cheering from the moment he leaves the batters box to the moment he is called safe or out at 3rd.

As for stealing home... it's not going to happen because pitchers do not pitch out of the wind-up when a runner is on 3rd. You are not going to steal home without the pitcher going from the wind-up. Has nothing to do with base stealers.

Madvora
05-08-2007, 01:26 PM
A play at the plate is the most exciting play in baseball.

You know what was also awesome... all those double plays the Sox were turning against the Indians in 2000. That was during the strech when they swept their way through New York and Cleveland.

viagracat
05-08-2007, 08:35 PM
The hit and run. Any time a player goes from first to third on a single, that's a good play.

Any triple works for me, too. And although they're rare, the inside-the-park home run is the most exciting play in baseball.

Frontman
05-09-2007, 08:09 AM
I'll always love the close play at the plate any day. If it involves contact, all the better! (As long as noone gets hurt.) But unlike the homer, a close play at the plate is dramatic if your team is trying to score or if its on defense.

SPUDSTER
08-03-2007, 08:25 PM
MY FAV HAS TO BE , THE BULLET THROW FROM THE OUTFIELD TO THROW OUT A RUNNER AT HOME. YEA BABY:bandance::bandance:

SoxandtheCityTee
08-03-2007, 08:48 PM
Totally out of context, a triple is more exciting than a home run. There's the hitter running the play out and the defense rushing to play the ball. If the bases are loaded, you have people running everywhere and usually a play at third or the plate.

I adore bases-clearing doubles and especially triples (typically, doubles hit by fast runners). They seem to leave the opposing pitcher more upset than a home run -- maybe because someone is still on base? Keeps the line moving, and speed is exciting to watch.

Edit: On the defensive side, I love the strike-him-out, throw-him-out DP.

Railsplitter
08-03-2007, 09:49 PM
The triple, of course. You're certain it's a double when it land, so it's like getting a bonus base.

Nellie_Fox
08-04-2007, 12:22 AM
Go to the top of The Clubhouse. Open up the "What Every WSI Poster Should Know" thread. Read the rule about bringing back old threads.

And turn off the CapsLock.