PDA

View Full Version : something I've always wondered about


cheeses_h_rice
03-27-2002, 01:11 PM
Why does baseball allow ballparks with different outfield dimensions in this day and age?

For such a statistic-laden sport, I find it amazing that MLB still allows parks to be built with different OF dimensions, OF walls with different heights and angles, etc. I can understand the foul areas being different, because of the relative size of parks, but why is the actual playing area allowed to be so drastically varying?

Iwritecode
03-27-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Why does baseball allow ballparks with different outfield dimensions in this day and age?

For such a statistic-laden sport, I find it amazing that MLB still allows parks to be built with different OF dimensions, OF walls with different heights and angles, etc. I can understand the foul areas being different, because of the relative size of parks, but why is the actual playing area allowed to be so drastically varying?

Nobody ever said that baseball makes sense. What other sport allows the team on defense to have control of the ball?

MattSharp
03-27-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode


Nobody ever said that baseball makes sense. What other sport allows the team on defense to have control of the ball?

That is going in my sig if you dont mind....

sox_fan_4life
03-27-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode


Nobody ever said that baseball makes sense. What other sport allows the team on defense to have control of the ball?

Cricket....I think. LOL

Iwritecode
03-27-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_4life
Cricket....I think. LOL

That's really reaching... :smile:

BTW, welcome back. Good to see you agian. :gulp:

Iwritecode
03-27-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
That is going in my sig if you dont mind....

I've been immortalized. Sweet. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-27-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_4life
Cricket....I think. LOL

Correct. To underscore this fact, the score in cricket is expressed in terms of outs rather than runs. For example, the results of a cricket match would be expressed as "India defeated Pakistan in the third test by three wickets." Wickets refers to the number of men left not out when India exceeded Pakistan's number of runs scored. The fact the final run total was 537-536 really isn't important.

With the way MLB keeps emphasizing offensive production (at the expense of pitching and defense), maybe we aren't too many years away from a similar system for baseball. :gulp:

Apologies to Phil Rogers and Sam Smith, who apparently think baseball is still played 1968-style. It must be nice to be trusted with a newspaper's column space.

BTW, the best explanation I've found to help Americans understand cricket is at CricInfo. Follow this link to learn more about what makes cricket similar to, and different from, baseball.

Cricket Explained (An American Viewpoint) (http://www-usa.cricket.org/link_to_database/ABOUT_CRICKET/EXPLANATION/CRICKET_EXPLAINED_AMERICAN.html)

Iwritecode
03-27-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
BTW, the best explanation I've found to help Americans understand cricket is at CricInfo. Follow this link to learn more about what makes cricket similar to, and different from, baseball.

Cricket Explained (An American Viewpoint) (http://www-usa.cricket.org/link_to_database/ABOUT_CRICKET/EXPLANATION/CRICKET_EXPLAINED_AMERICAN.html)

Quite interesting. The funny thing is, that game seems much less complicated than MLB...