PDA

View Full Version : ESPN2 will televise MLB draft

Fenway
05-07-2007, 02:49 PM
ABOUT TIME

For the first time in its history, the baseball entry draft will be aired live on ESPN2. Coverage will begin on Thursday, June 7th at 2 p.m. ET from Disney's Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla. The broadcast will end at 6 p.m. ET.

Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig said the telecast, "will give fans access to see this critical function of an organization's development. This is an idea whose time has come."

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2862901

FedEx227
05-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Awesome, I've always wanted to see the draft on TV. I think its one of the more interesting draft in sports. Obviously it's not made for TV, but easily the most interesting because its almost impossible to predict.

Huisj
05-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Awesome, I've always wanted to see the draft on TV. I think its one of the more interesting draft in sports. Obviously it's not made for TV, but easily the most interesting because its almost impossible to predict.

Plus the picks come at a much faster rate. They just have a few minutes between each pick right? Not like the stinking NFL draft where one round seems to take the entire day.

FedEx227
05-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Yeah, because everyone has a different board, once their guy is open they'll grab him. None of this, we're the first pick but we're still going to take 15 minutes crap. I think theres like 1-2 minutes between picks.

WhiteSoxJunkie
05-07-2007, 06:19 PM
So is SportsCenter gonna do with the baseball draft what they did with the NFL draft? THE BRAVES ARE ON THE CLOCK!!!

pearso66
05-07-2007, 08:59 PM
the biggest thing with taking the whole 15 min, is they are stil tryign to work out the best possible trade. With no trades in baseball, they don't have to worry about that.

MUsoxfan
05-07-2007, 09:13 PM
So is SportsCenter gonna do with the baseball draft what they did with the NFL draft? THE BRAVES ARE ON THE CLOCK!!!

In a perfect world, they would. However...ESPN is too busy prepping for next year's NFL draft coverage

Britt Burns
05-09-2007, 02:02 AM
I'm wondering how they are going to televise a conference call, unless MLB is doing it in a different forum this year to accomodate TV.

chaerulez
05-09-2007, 07:29 AM
the biggest thing with taking the whole 15 min, is they are stil tryign to work out the best possible trade. With no trades in baseball, they don't have to worry about that.

That and they even start going over contract details. NFL teams have a possible holdout looming over them while MLB teams can afford to wait a whole year to come to terms as barely any draft picks have instant impact to a team. But yes, seeing a quick draft will be good.

Frontman
05-09-2007, 08:07 AM
I'm curious to see how its conducted; although part of the "old school" charm of baseball is that its not high-tech. The NFL covers EVERYTHING, from the combine, to the draft, to mini-camps; etc. I enjoyed finding out the Sox draft picks via the radio, then looking up information online later.

With baseball, we won't see these players who are drafted playing in the majors for a few years, on the average. Baseball doesn't require the 'instant impact' that the NFL draft has.

Still be fun to see, though. WE'LL GET TO SEE KW IN ACTION!

sox1970
05-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Still be fun to see, though. WE'LL GET TO SEE KW IN ACTION!

Isn't it Duane Shaffer in action?

skottyj242
05-09-2007, 09:17 AM
In a perfect world, they would. However...ESPN is too busy prepping for next year's NFL draft coverage

I think the pre-game just strarted.

Frontman
05-09-2007, 09:53 AM
Isn't it Duane Shaffer in action?

Well, that's true. KW is more of a manager in this type of situation rather than a player.