PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine Dye comment about contract

ThomesHomie
05-07-2007, 02:38 AM
Sorry if it's been mentioned, but did anyone hear what JD said? They said it today on comcast, I think he commented in the trib about it. He said he wants to stay here, but then said if we keep playing like this he doesn't. I kind of took it as a comment that should not have been made at first, but it also might add some fuel to our guys to start playing.

The Dude
05-07-2007, 02:52 AM
What, winning two in a row is now a bad thing? :?::rolleyes:

These comments should not be made, period.

BanditJimmy
05-07-2007, 02:55 AM
He said he wants to stay here, but then said if we keep playing like this he doesn't.

Since he's carried this team on his back so far with his .215 average I could see where he can be a bit frustrated.

MarkyBear
05-07-2007, 02:59 AM
I think he commented in the trib about it.

Well that could be it too, if it's from the flubune, then he probably stated that he loved playing for the Sox and hopes they continue to play like they have been the last two games...

JermaineDye05
05-07-2007, 03:20 AM
I'll believe it when I hear it myself, I'm recording tomorrows sportsrise and they usually show all the stories from the day before on there so it should be on there if it was in fact mentioned. I checked chicagosports.com and have found nothing on it, hopefully it was just misread or misheard.

Blackheart
05-07-2007, 04:01 AM
Sorry if it's been mentioned, but did anyone hear what JD said? They said it today on comcast, I think he commented in the trib about it. He said he wants to stay here, but then said if we keep playing like this he doesn't. I kind of took it as a comment that should not have been made at first, but it also might add some fuel to our guys to start playing.

Correction.. it wasn't ( If we keep playing like this he doesn't ) Like he don't want to play for the sox anymore. It was if we keep playing like this he don't think he'll be with the team because he's been there before and he knows that teams drop players if they are struggling by the all star break.

Quit trying to start controversy.:rolleyes:

Martinigirl
05-07-2007, 07:58 AM
If you are referring to the article I read, he basically said that if we continue to play the way we have been (during the losing streak) he wouldn't be around at the end of the season because he would be traded by the end of July to a contender. He said as much as he wants to stay here, he would have no control over it and at least he would be going to a team in the playoff hunt.

At no point did he say anything like he wanted out and only wanted to play for a winner.

soxfan13
05-07-2007, 09:29 AM
If you are referring to the article I read, he basically said that if we continue to play the way we have been (during the losing streak) he wouldn't be around at the end of the season because he would be traded by the end of July to a contender. He said as much as he wants to stay here, he would have no control over it and at least he would be going to a team in the playoff hunt.

At no point did he say anything like he wanted out and only wanted to play for a winner.

Eaxctly! I read the article and he was just stating the obvious that he would like to stay but if the team is struggling at the all-star break, he knows the nature of the business and he could be traded, which he has no control over.

ondafarm
05-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Dye is an obvious trading chip, a power hitting right fielder who doesn't embarass you on defense or on the basepaths. He's a veteran and everybody knows what they will get out of him.

mrwag
05-07-2007, 09:47 AM
I'd be for it, so long as we have a suitable replacement. At this point, do we have an outfielder who can step up and hit .200 right now?

ondafarm
05-07-2007, 09:49 AM
I wasn't meaning to imply that I want Dye gone, just that if the Sox start looking to trade someone, then JD is an obvious choice.

balke
05-07-2007, 09:50 AM
If the Sox can keep their heads above water for another week, I doubt he's going anywhere this season.

The Immigrant
05-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Let him play out his contract and then see if you can re-sign him to a reasonable deal. Committing more than 3 years to Dye would be a mistake, IMO, unless 2008 will be Thome's last year and Dye can then take over as the DH.

Flight #24
05-07-2007, 11:07 AM
Let him play out his contract and then see if you can re-sign him to a reasonable deal. Committing more than 3 years to Dye would be a mistake, IMO, unless 2008 will be Thome's last year and Dye can then take over as the DH.

By then I think Konerko may be looked at as a part-time or even fulltime DH. but I'd think given his athleticism and experience that Dye would probably make a decent 1B. For one thing - he's tall, so would provide a nice target over there.

munchman33
05-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Honestly, I have no problem with Jermaine's comment. If I was an aging veteran with only a few more good years left, I'd want to make sure I was maximizing my chances at winning another world series. And so far this year, the White Sox have not looked anything close to a team that can compete for one.

Maybe his statements will be a kick in the rear for the team. But you can't deny the truth behind his statements. They've looked average, at best, this year.

oeo
05-07-2007, 03:49 PM
What, winning two in a row is now a bad thing? :?::rolleyes:

These comments should not be made, period.

When have you ever heard Dye say anything even remotely close to this? :?:

As soon as I read that I knew there must be a mistake; Dye is 110% class.

lostfan
05-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Yeah, Dye has never been about all that nonsense, he's a quiet contributor who stays away from the spotlight and has never been perceived as one with a "me-first" attitude.

I'm really not worried about his production, didn't he start off like garbage in '05 before getting ridiculously hot? 2006 was the exception to his career (as far as the beginning of the season), isn't he a notoriously slow starter?

Although I wish he'd smile every now and then, he always looks like he just finished beating a homeless man in an alley or something.