PDA

View Full Version : Bud- "Franchises have not had an increase in value"

Paulwny
03-27-2002, 07:03 AM
Yesterday's on-line chat with Bud:

Michael W. from Port Washington, NY:
If Major League Baseball is in such financial trouble, how do you explain the fact that the value of all the Major League franchises continue to go up?

Selig: Well, let me suggest to you that all the asset values of teams don't go up. I know that people use the sale of the Boston Red Sox as the prime example. I want to submit to you that the Red Sox were aberrational. We have two or three franchises, quite frankly, who's asset value is high. The problem is it has no relation to the other 27. And in fact, we've had some franchises for sale for quite a long time, like an Anaheim, and we've had a very hard time finding a buyer. You must remember that the Red Sox franchise, was aberrational because it included NESN, the New England television network, it included Fenway Park and their land around it. So it had two component parts that are very, very valuable. And that, frankly, is what took that value of that franchise and moved it up to the level that it did. We have disparity, quite candidly, in the franchise values just like we do everywhere else. And so you can take two or three franchises and yes, they will do quite well. But unlike other sports, most of our franchises have not had an increase in value, and in fact in some cases have deteriorated. That is not true, for instance, in the National Football League where their economic system has really ensured that all teams' asset value have gone up.

moochpuppy
03-27-2002, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
But unlike other sports, most of our franchises have not had an increase in value, and in fact in some cases have deteriorated. That is not true, for instance, in the National Football League where their economic system has really ensured that all teams' asset value have gone up.

:tool

"Hmmm.....now I know that can't be from revenue sharing and a salary cap. They must just be lucky. Next question."

baggio202
03-27-2002, 07:50 AM
baseball is friggin dead under this moron's leadership

PaleHoseGeorge
03-27-2002, 08:27 AM
My God, can you imagine buying a used car from this man?

"Look, you're not going to find another like her. She was driven by a little old lady for 20 years, to and from church."

:ohno
"What about the mag wheels and giant dent in the front fender?"

"I think her grandson might have been allowed to drive it to the supermarket for groceries--nothing more."