PDA

View Full Version : Aardsma was SICK today.

jabrch
05-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Aardsma had one bad outing, when asked to close on a day Jenks wasn't availble. But he's been freaking awesome all year. He's allowed 5 hits and 1 ER with 21Ks in 14.2 IP excluding that one outing he was closing.

I'm happy for Cotts, who has also been VERY effective with a 0.00 ERA with 5 hits and 6 walks in 9.2 IP.

Good trade for both sides.

Huisj
05-06-2007, 10:43 PM
When I read the title, I thought maybe he had the flu or a fever or something. haha, oops.

Navarro's Talent
05-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Yeah, Aardsma's been fantastic. I was a bit worried after seeing him throw a bit during Spring Training, but he's put any worries to rest thus far. He has a good arm, and I hope he keeps up the good work!

TDog
05-07-2007, 01:44 AM
Aardsma had one bad outing, when asked to close on a day Jenks wasn't availble. But he's been freaking awesome all year. He's allowed 5 hits and 1 ER with 21Ks in 14.2 IP excluding that one outing he was closing.

I'm happy for Cotts, who has also been VERY effective with a 0.00 ERA with 5 hits and 6 walks in 9.2 IP.

Good trade for both sides.

I don't think that giving up a 2-out, 2-run homer to tie the game had anything to do with Aardsma closing. I think closing amplified his outing though. Conventional stats often are a bad way to judge relievers, though.

While Cotts hasn't given up any runs, he's been a situational lefty and pitches more fractional innings than Aardsma. Saturday, I read, Cotts pitched two-thirds of an inning, scoreless, but he gave up a walk and a double to score an inherited runner. The run that scored wasn't his. Because he came in with only one out, he only had to get two outs to get out of the inning to keep from being charged a run of his own.

He really didn't do his job, but it was another scoreless outing.

WhiteSox5187
05-07-2007, 01:46 AM
I think we're getting more out of our end of the trade, but I'm glad to see Cotts is doing well...I loved that quote from Pinella about him when asked what does he see out of Cotts "I see that he gives up runs every time he is out there."

Hitmen77
05-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Aardsma has really helped us out this year. Even if Cotts does well, if Aardsma keeps doing what he's doing, it was a good trade by Kenny.

...plus the other pitcher we got for Cotts (Carlos Vasquez) has been outstanding in Birmingham and just got promoted to AAA. So, who knows, Vasquez might possibly be another quality arm for the Sox in the future

balke
05-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Cotts hasn't been THAT great from the games I've seen. Piniella just knows to pull him as soon as he starts walking batters.

Aardsma's #'s so far show that Guillen has the confidence to use him in just about any situation, and he can strike people out.

Cotts has been great, but I don't think Piniella has that same kind of confidence in his play. On a team where they've needed the bullpen to try and lock down games, Cotts only has 10.2 IP. Aardsma is at 17.2.

Rockin Robin
05-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Aardsma has been one of the lone bright spots of the year.

jabrch
05-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Aardsma has been one of the lone bright spots of the year.

LONE?

All of the pen except Thornton

All of our starters with the exception of Jose's rough outing.

Thome - until he was hurt

Pods - until he was hurt

Erstad - since the first week

The only problem with this team is that the hitters we count on most haven't produced. Thome is hurt (and we were only 1.5 games out when he went down) and Dye, PK and Crede have been downright awful.

Really - that's it.

People can bitch all they want about Pods, Erstad, Jose, Ozzie, KW, the pen, Cintron, BA, etc. - but none of those are the reasons this team isn't in first place. The best hitters on this team are not hitting. That's the bottom line.

RowanDye
05-07-2007, 10:57 AM
LONE?
The best hitters on this team are not hitting. That's the bottom line.

Wouldn't that make them the worst hitters? :D:

jabrch
05-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Wouldn't that make them the worst hitters? :D:

Only for those who completely panic based on one month of baseball. :cool:

If you believe Dye, PK and Crede will end the season all hitting about .220, then yes, they are our worst hitters.

RowanDye
05-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Only for those who completely panic based on one month of baseball. :cool:

If you believe Dye, PK and Crede will end the season all hitting about .220, then yes, they are our worst hitters.

I'm not panicking. It was more of a joke, as I was just choosing a different timeframe in which to judge our hitters (i.e. the 2007 season).

I'm confident that Dye, PK, and Crede WILL improve and finish over .220, but not entirely confident that they will necessarily be considered in our top 3-4 best hitters by the end of the year.

Just as guys can have career best years, they can also have career worst years.

Whitesox029
05-07-2007, 11:54 AM
All of the pen except Thornton

Thornton had a couple bad outings at the beginning, but he's really settled down lately. I wouldn't really consider him to be a disappointment despite the inflated ERA, kind of like I wouldn't consider Contreras to be a disappointment despite the 4.88 ERA he's sporting. Jose's ERA since opening day is an impressive 2.67.
So really, things are much brighter than they seem in terms of the staff.

jabrch
05-07-2007, 02:22 PM
I'm not panicking. It was more of a joke, as I was just choosing a different timeframe in which to judge our hitters (i.e. the 2007 season).

I know - hence the smiley. :cool:

chisoxmike
05-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Yes, yes he was sick today.

BanditJimmy
05-08-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm more concerned about the huge egg McDougal layed tonight and not Aardsma. Grant it that noodle arm Iguchi started that inning.

DickAllen72
05-08-2007, 11:35 PM
I'm more concerned about the huge egg McDougal layed tonight and not Aardsma. Grant it that noodle arm Iguchi started that inning.
It does seem that Iguchi's arm has gotten weaker this season.

Navarro's Talent
05-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Yes, yes he was sick today.

IBB's should never be that scary. :o: