PDA

View Full Version : Worst Baseball Promotion Ever

FarNorthSide
05-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Did anyone see that the Brewers are holding Prostate Cancer Screening Night on Tuesday May 8?

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=mil

7:00am - 3:00pm - Free Prostate Cancer Screenings at Miller Park (northeast corner of ballpark near Friday's). All men who receive a Prostate Cancer Screening that day will receive two free tickets to a future Milwaukee Brewers game. No appointment necessary. Free and Confidential.

The fact that the restaurant in mentioned makes me uncomfortable.

mwc44
05-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Did anyone see that the Brewers are holding Prostate Cancer Screening Night on Monday May 8?

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=mil

7:00am - 3:00pm - Free Prostate Cancer Screenings at Miller Park (northeast corner of ballpark near Friday's). All men who receive a Prostate Cancer Screening that day will receive two free tickets to a future Milwaukee Brewers game. No appointment necessary. Free and Confidential.

The fact that the restaurant in mentioned makes me uncomfortable.

Great idea to promote awareness, but read your own post. It is NOT "Prostate Cancer Screening Night." The testing times, as you correctly pointed out, is from 7 AM to 3 PM, but it is on a Tuesday morning/afternoon, not during that night's game.

If reading this made you feel uncomfortable, wait till you have your first actual exam... good luck, my friend!

RadioheadRocks
05-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Great idea to promote awareness, but read your own post. It is NOT "Prostate Cancer Screening Night." The testing times, as you correctly pointed out, is from 7 AM to 3 PM, but it is on a Tuesday morning/afternoon, not during that night's game.

If reading this made you feel uncomfortable, wait till you have your first actual exam... good luck, my friend!

I concur... kudos to the Brewers organization for promoting awareness and encouraging folks to have regular checkups.

Southsider101
05-06-2007, 10:45 PM
I remember that the Saint Paul Saints held a similar promotion a few years ago. And no, they didn't hand out disposable rubber gloves.

ewokpelts
05-07-2007, 09:40 AM
i see no problem with it. and you get free tickets.

Railsplitter
05-07-2007, 10:59 AM
No baseball promotion can ever be worse than the Indians' ten cent beer night in 1974. the includes Disco Demolition.

NUCatsFan
05-07-2007, 01:01 PM
I don't know. This one seems like a pretty bad promotion to me.

And here come the pretzels (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msiZUT2ZH_A)

asindc
05-07-2007, 02:06 PM
No baseball promotion can ever be worse than the Indians' ten cent beer night in 1974. the includes Disco Demolition.

As soon as I read the thread title, that's what I thought of. Beat me to the punch.

gobears1987
05-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Actually this is the best baseball promotion ever. It actually serves a purpose.

The worst promotions ever are 10 cent beer night, free baseball giveaways, and of course the infamous Disco Demolition Night. (Not saying the ideas behind them are bad, just the results)

DumpJerry
05-07-2007, 11:03 PM
i see no problem with it. and you get free tickets.
Would you ever have a problem with free tickets?

This is not the worst baseball promotion ever. Health awareness is never a bad thing, especially when we're talking about early detection of a treatable disease when caught early.

shoelessshaun27!
05-07-2007, 11:21 PM
I'd take free tickets any time.:D:

MUsoxfan
05-07-2007, 11:26 PM
If I was a few years older, I might go up to Miller Park for a visit with Dr. Jellyfingers

bigfoot
05-07-2007, 11:43 PM
You might just get that blood test used for this form of cancer.:o:

MUsoxfan
05-07-2007, 11:47 PM
You might just get that blood test used for this form of cancer.:o:

I'm no med student and I haven't been to a hospital in 10 years but I thought prostate tests included the rubber glove

FarNorthSide
05-08-2007, 12:19 AM
I stand corrected. It is good to know that there are so many people on this board that enjoy getting someone's finger stuck in their rear. As for me, I will get that done at the doctor's office as infrequently as medically appropriate. And, I will pay for my tickets.

RadioheadRocks
05-08-2007, 12:34 AM
I stand corrected. It is good to know that there are so many people on this board that enjoy getting someone's finger stuck in their rear. As for me, I will get that done at the doctor's office as infrequently as medically appropriate. And, I will pay for my tickets.

:tealpolice:

IlliniSox4Life
05-08-2007, 05:33 AM

Nobody enjoys it, but it is bringing awareness to a cause. Even if there is a person out there who is too shy/embarrassed to go to a public screening like this (I would probably be one of them), it at least reminds them to schedule an appointment with their doctor.

Quite frankly, I applaud them for having something like this. Far too many people neglect their health (I am one of them), and having a reminder at a place where you normally don't expect to see it is a good thing.

ewokpelts
05-08-2007, 09:04 AM
Would you ever have a problem with free tickets?

This is not the worst baseball promotion ever. Health awareness is never a bad thing, especially when we're talking about early detection of a treatable disease when caught early.i can see some hesititation to drop trou at the ball park for nothing but a cookie and juice.

but the promotion does two good things. the aforementioned early detection AND it helps the team connect better to thier fanbase, in this case middle age and older men who are the bulk of thier business.

mwc44
05-08-2007, 10:05 AM
I stand corrected. It is good to know that there are so many people on this board that enjoy getting someone's finger stuck in their rear...
I'm sorry, but that was a :dumbass: response.

New to WSI, unfamiliar with the use of teal, or not, most of us here, if not all, value our health, and the health of those we love, more than baseball, money, etc. The Brewer's offer to provide free screenings to the public, during a time when the stadium is not open for baseball, is a great way of bringing the issue of cancer prevention to the front of everyone's minds... not just baseball fans, and especially those in the area who may not be fortunate enough to be able to afford a trip to the doctor.

Take it from a cancer survivor, education and offers of free screenings (wherever they may be held), leads to early detection and early detection saves more lives than you could ever imagine.

If you're not comfortable with the thought of protecting yourself, that's your right, but don't make a generalization about "so many people on this board" (teal or not), especially when it is the furthest thing from the truth.

Best of health to you in your years ahead (no teal intended), and :welcome:

Lip Man 1
05-08-2007, 12:12 PM
Far North:

You obviously forgot about Disco Demolition or Nickle Beer Night.

Lip