PDA

View Full Version : Bud answers to Sox a small market team

Paulwny
03-27-2002, 07:57 AM
Yesterdays on line chat with Bud:

Mathilda H. from Evanston:
How can the A's and White Sox be small market teams when they share markets with so called large market teams. Isn't a market a market?

Selig: Let me take the White Sox. I don't know that the White Sox have ever said they were a small market team. They're obviously in the same market as the Cubs. With two teams in a market, that is a very difficult position to be in. The A's and Giants, we have two teams there trying to divide up the market which has always been difficult. I don't know that you would consider either one of those clubs a small market club. I think many clubs today, with a few exceptions, fall in to what I call the medium market range. You know the Cubs are a very unique franchise in Chicago and are wonderfully unique for a lot of reasons. And I think the White Sox now, with a very good club, ought to have a very good year. Oakland's had a good club. San Francisco has a new ballpark. So you have teams in different situations even in the same market. The Oakland franchise has always struggled to generate that kind of revenue and will continue to. Clearly what they need is a new ballpark, so that they are able to generate the kind of revenue the Giants have now in Pac Bell Park.

RedPinStripes
03-27-2002, 08:31 AM
:reinsy
"We ARE a small market team. I have no money and the fans are idiots"

moochpuppy
03-27-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The Oakland franchise has always struggled to generate that kind of revenue and will continue to. Clearly what they need is a new ballpark, so that they are able to generate the kind of revenue the Giants have now in Pac Bell Park.

:tool
"And that is why I will target the A's as my next attempt at contraction. By the time I'm done I will have a new ballpark in every MLB city."

:reinsy

"Hey you over there, take off your hat....Seligs in the house!"