PDA

View Full Version : Sox/Cubs Series

sox1970
05-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Not a fan of interleague play, but I'll be going to my first Sox/Cubs game played at the Urinal. Here are the probables as of now:

Friday: Buehrle vs. Lilly
Saturday: Vazquez vs. Marquis
Sunday: Danks vs. Zambrano

I hope to be witness to Danks' third win.

DumpJerry
05-06-2007, 08:58 PM
I hope you're right about the match-ups. Buehrle on Sundays against the Cubs kills us.

SoXPriDe33
05-06-2007, 09:22 PM
I'll be there Sunday the day after my Senior Prom with 5 friends. Hopefully my second time seeing Danks is better compared to the first time watching him pitch.

Kogs35
05-06-2007, 09:34 PM
ohhhhhh marquis again? nice!!!! didn't the sox hit him up for 20 runs that night vs st. louis last year??

IndianWhiteSox
05-06-2007, 09:54 PM
ohhhhhh marquis again? nice!!!! didn't the sox hit him up for 20 runs that night vs st. louis last year??

That was actually Sox fan Mark Mulder who gave up I think 11 our of those 20 runs.

TheOldRoman
05-06-2007, 10:09 PM
That was actually Sox fan Mark Mulder who gave up I think 11 our of those 20 runs.
Mulder gave up 9 of the 20 runs that night.
However, the next night the Sox pounded Marquis for 13 runs over 5 innings.

TDog
05-06-2007, 10:10 PM

Wasn't that just a day or two before they got just one hit against Anthony Reyes. Not that a Jim Thome hit isn't enough.

If Zambrano is on, Danks may still be looking for run support.

Rob190
05-06-2007, 10:16 PM
Mulder gave up 9 of the 20 runs that night.
However, the next night the Sox pounded Marquis for 13 runs over 5 innings.

Marquis is pitching much better this year, so it's not going to be a cake walk.

soltrain21
05-06-2007, 10:21 PM

Nothing is a cake walk so far with our offense.

MUsoxfan
05-07-2007, 03:26 AM

Best matchup of the series

PatK
05-07-2007, 10:19 AM

Marquis wasn't pitching any worse last year. His second half was what was really terrrible.

D. TODD
05-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Too far ahead for me to be concerned about a 3 game interleague series. This is a fairly big 3 game set with the Twins even for early May starting Tuesday those pitching matchups are important!

Whitesox029
05-07-2007, 03:25 PM
I worry about Sunday most for obvious reasons...then again, John Danks is one of the most composed rookie pitchers I've ever seen. He certainly isn't rattled as easily as his opponent that day...

chisoxfan79
05-07-2007, 03:32 PM
How come every year we have to face Zambrano on Sunday

The Immigrant
05-07-2007, 03:45 PM
How come every year we have to face Zambrano on Sunday

We had him beat last year at the Cell before Cotts decided to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Chicken Dinner
05-07-2007, 04:36 PM
We had him beat last year at the Cell before Cotts decided to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I can't wait for the Sox to face Cott's. :D:

TDog
05-07-2007, 04:50 PM

Especially considering he could be brought in to face AJ.

VenturaFan23
05-07-2007, 05:05 PM
I worry about Sunday most for obvious reasons...then again, John Danks is one of the most composed rookie pitchers I've ever seen. He certainly isn't rattled as easily as his opponent that day...

It doesn't matter who pitches on Sunday because we always seem to have trouble beating them on Sundays! The norm for that past few years is we crush them on Friday, win in exciting fashion on Saturday, and just tank on Sunday negating the sweep. :angry: Time to break the trend.

chisoxfan79
05-07-2007, 07:34 PM
It doesn't matter who pitches on Sunday because we always seem to have trouble beating them on Sundays! The norm for that past few years is we crush them on Friday, win in exciting fashion on Saturday, and just tank on Sunday negating the sweep. :angry: Time to break the trend.
I remember that happening in o3 at the Urinal when it was Colon vs Zambrano the Sox had a 1-0 lead heading to the bottom of the 8th and one of the few times that year Manuel pulled Colon out of game and then Marte had his only bad game of the year when he gave up 2 in the 8th. Then I remember a week later we were going for the sweep at the cell with Loazia (our ace that year) on the hill and the Cubs knocked him around.

DrCrawdad
05-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Not a fan of interleague play, but I'll be going to my first Sox/Cubs game played at the Urinal. Here are the probables as of now:

Saturday: Vazquez vs. Marquis
Sunday: Danks vs. Zambrano

I hope to be witness to Danks' third win.

As was mentioned, clearly what matters most are the games vs. the Twins in the next few days.

However, are you sure about your match-ups? I thought it would be ...

Vazquez vs. Lilly
Danks vs. Marquis
Contreras vs. Zambrano

So far quite a few NL startering pitchers with little to no previous success are doing quite well. It will be interesting to me to see how the NL does this year against the AL. Last year it was a slaughterhouse in the interleague games as the AL did so well. Heck, even the team that was regarded as the worst team in MLB, the Royals, had a winning record against the NL.

ZombieRob
05-08-2007, 12:48 AM
I know Lou looks like a genius now but come on.How many times can the Cubs play the nats Pirates and Cardinals all in a row? I can't wait till the Brew crew beats the crap out of them again .

RadioheadRocks
05-08-2007, 12:51 AM
I know Lou looks like a genius now but come on.How many times can the Cubs play the nats Pirates and Cardinals all in a row? I can't wait till the Brew crew beats the crap out of them again .

Amen... reality check people, they're only ONE GAME OVER .500!!!!!!

HotelWhiteSox
05-08-2007, 01:39 AM
We'll see, Zambozo has been hittable this year against NL lineups, including a few shaky starts at home. I know, our offense has been shaky, but we also won't lose that much at DH than we're getting now.

kittle42
05-08-2007, 02:30 AM

To face his what? And who the hell is Cott?

Nellie_Fox
05-08-2007, 02:33 AM
To face his what? And who the hell is Cott?I was going to type pretty much the exact same thing, but then I said to myself "and deprive Kittle42?"

dcb56
05-08-2007, 04:43 AM
To face his what? And who the hell is Cott?

I was going to type pretty much the exact same thing, but then I said to myself "and deprive Kittle42?"

Hardy har, har, har, we get it, the guy made a grammatical error, even though we all know he's talking about Cotts. Why didn't you guys become English teachers since you're both so smart?

I sold my tix to the Fri Cubs/Sox game at the Cell, but am going to the Saturday game at Wrigley. There's nothing quite like rooting for the visiting team...

DumpJerry
05-08-2007, 07:39 AM
I, for one, is not looking forward to facing Cotts' repertoire of pitches. His ERA is 0.00!

Chicken Dinner
05-08-2007, 11:22 AM
I, for one, is not looking forward to facing Cotts' repertoire of pitches. His ERA is 0.00!

For now. :D:

Nellie_Fox
05-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Why didn't you guys become English teachers since you're both so smart?And teach a subject that, apparently, few people think is important?

pdimas
05-08-2007, 01:20 PM
I'll be heading down there myself the 18th and possibly the 19th. I have a friend coming in from Vegas who is a pretty die hard cubbie fan so watching the game with her is always fun. We have gone to at least one cubs/sox game either at wrigley or the cell for the past 4 or so years.

gobears1987
05-08-2007, 02:15 PM
I'll be there Friday to see Buehrle no hit the Flubbies.

Johnnydogs
05-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Vazquez vs. Lilly
Danks vs. Marquis
Contreras vs. Zambrano

I think you're right, these are the probable pitchers.

Johnnydogs
05-08-2007, 02:33 PM

I just checked the record and the Cubs are 3-3 against the Brewers. Each team won 2 of 3 on the road. The Cubs are the only team in that division to win a series against the Brewers.

sox1970
05-08-2007, 03:04 PM
I think you're right, these are the probable pitchers.

If the Sox are going in order, they'll have Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks.

kittle42
05-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Why didn't you guys become English teachers since you're both so smart?

Corporate defense attorney pays more.

Johnnydogs
05-08-2007, 03:34 PM
If the Sox are going in order, they'll have Buehrle, Vazquez, Danks.

Hmmm, my math must be off. Both Vazquez and Lilly are pitching tonight so doesn't that mean they will also pitch on the 13th and 18th (against one another)?

Conversely, Buehrle pitched last Sunday so he should pitch next on the 11th and again on the 16. What am I missing?

sox1970
05-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Hmmm, my math must be off. Both Vazquez and Lilly are pitching tonight so doesn't that mean they will also pitch on the 13th and 18th (against one another)?

Conversely, Buehrle pitched last Sunday so he should pitch next on the 11th and again on the 16. What am I missing?

You're missing off days. Sox aren't skipping anyone, so the calendar doesn't mean anything.

JermaineDye05
05-11-2007, 07:30 AM
Here's something that would be interesting, in the second sox-cubs series the second game will feature the matchup of Danks vs. Hill. This is one matchup I would be interested in seeing since it features two young left handers, Hill maybe not so young, who have been pretty solid. Factoring in that Hill has faced a weaker league (he has faced the Brewers twice who have the best record in baseball), his numbers could be a bit misleading although so could John's since this is his first year in the bigs and a lot of teams have been getting their first looks at him, although it seems to me he has made some adjustments each start.

DrCrawdad
05-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Without skipping anyone, here's how it projects now:

5/10 MN (1) Contreras
5/11 KC (2) Garland
5/12 KC (3) Buehrle
5/13 KC (4) Vazquez
5/14 NO GAME
5/15 NY (5) Danks
5/16 NY (1) Contreras
5/17 NY (2) Garland
5/18 CUBS (3) Buehrle
5/19 CUBS (4) Vazquez
5/20 CUBS (5) Danks

The Cubune has this note today (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070511soxbits,1,5051179.story?coll=cs-home-headlines):

The White Sox's three projected starting pitchers for next weekend's games at Wrigley FieldóJohn Danks, Javier Vazquez and Mark Buehrle

I can see the Sox skipping Danks in the Yankees series, but I don't see how or why the Sox would flop Vazquez and Buehrle.