PDA

View Full Version : Yanks/Mariners Benches clear today

cws05champ
05-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Did any of you see some of the Yankee game today? Josh Phelps took a cheap shot at the Mariners C Johjima. Coming home for a play at the plate, Johjima was giving him home plate and was not blocking the plate...before the ball even gets there Phelps runs him down. OK...cheap shot but happens. Washburn hits Phelps the next time up...he takes it like a man and goes to 1st w/o argument. Then Scott Proctor for the Yankees throws at Mariners SS Betancourt in retaliation for hitting Phelps!!! Beaches cleared...but no fighting.
Phelps and Proctor were both in the wrong but if Proctor doesn't throw at the Mariners everything is OK with the universe....what a putz!

hi im skot
05-06-2007, 07:43 PM
:?:

goofymsfan
05-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Did any of you see some of the Yankee game today? Josh Phelps took a cheap shot at the Mariners C Johjima. Coming home for a play at the plate, Johjima was giving him home plate and was not blocking the plate...before the ball even gets there Phelps runs him down. OK...cheap shot but happens. Washburn hits Phelps the next time up...he takes it like a man and goes to 1st w/o argument. Then Scott Proctor for the Yankees throws at Mariners SS Betancourt in retaliation for hitting Phelps!!! Beaches cleared...but no fighting.
Phelps and Proctor were both in the wrong but if Proctor doesn't throw at the Mariners everything is OK with the universe....what a putz!

Proctor is no JJ! :D::tongue:

Nellie_Fox
05-07-2007, 01:44 AM
I've never understood why it's okay to level the catcher, but you can't do it at any other base.

ilsox7
05-07-2007, 02:20 AM
I've never understood why it's okay to level the catcher, but you can't do it at any other base.

Is there an actual rule that says you cannot? If the 3rd baseman is blocking the base, I do not think there is a must slide rule.

IndianWhiteSox
05-07-2007, 07:36 AM

Maybe, it's one of those unwritten rules because the catcher is the only one that wears some time of protection where as no one else does while fielding.

MP#3
05-07-2007, 08:12 AM
I don't blame Phelps for running him down. He sprinting full speed and has to watch the plate, he doesn't know where the ball is. Better to be safe and just knock him down. Its part of the game.

SoxFan78
05-07-2007, 08:19 AM
I don't blame Phelps for running him down. He sprinting full speed and has to watch the plate, he doesn't know where the ball is. Better to be safe and just knock him down. Its part of the game.

Did you see the play? Phelps veered off so much to hit the catcher, that he almost missed home plate.

WizardsofOzzie
05-07-2007, 08:30 AM
Did you see the play? Phelps veered off so much to hit the catcher, that he almost missed home plate.
Play in question (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270506110) (play the video on the page) Absolutely no question that it was a cheap shot. It looked like he had already passed homeplate before he ran the catcher over

MP#3
05-07-2007, 08:35 AM
I saw it, only takes a fraction of a second to catch the ball and move your glove over...Like I said, better safe than sorry especially if you don't know where the ball is.

IndianWhiteSox
05-07-2007, 08:45 AM
I saw it, only takes a fraction of a second to catch the ball and move your glove over...Like I said, better safe than sorry especially if you don't know where the ball is.

Completely agree.

:cool:

lumpyspun
05-07-2007, 10:36 AM
After this play the Mariners announcers started talking about how Jamie Burke told them a similar story that happened to him with Torii Hunter. I think most of us remember that play...

chitownhawkfan
05-07-2007, 11:23 AM
That was even cheaper than Torii, the ball wasn't close and he gave him the whole plate.

skottyj242
05-07-2007, 11:41 AM

But if you run into the second baseman and he tags you out it's interferrence? It only matters at home because if he drops the ball you're still safe. Maybe I'm not understanding something though.

spiffie
05-07-2007, 11:59 AM
But if you run into the second baseman and he tags you out it's interferrence? It only matters at home because if he drops the ball you're still safe. Maybe I'm not understanding something though.
I think part of it is that Home is the only base you can safely overrun after tagging it. If you barrel into the third baseman and go 5 feet past the bag he can grab the loose ball and catch you coming back. Home on the other hand once it is tagged you're good.

Mickster
05-07-2007, 12:13 PM
I think part of it is that Home is the only base you can safely overrun after tagging it. If you barrel into the third baseman and go 5 feet past the bag he can grab the loose ball and catch you coming back. Home on the other hand once it is tagged you're good.

What about 1st base? :?:

WizardsofOzzie
05-07-2007, 12:16 PM
You can overrun first after tagging it as well

Edit: Mickster beat me to it

05-07-2007, 12:31 PM
What about 1st base? :?:

There is always a force out at first base. Since no tag is needed, knocking down the first baseman with the ball wouldn't be logical...

Nellie_Fox
05-07-2007, 01:48 PM
I've been trying to find the rule, but I can't find it. There's something about being called out for "malicious interference" as I recall. It may just be that it's not considered malicious if the defensive player is blocking your path to the base, and pretty much only the catcher ever does that.

Otherwise, what would stop a runner from just creaming the third baseman to make him drop the ball? Most likely, you could get back to the bag before he could recover the ball.