PDA

View Full Version : Sox vs Twinkies Pitching match-ups

eastchicagosoxfan
05-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Does anybody have the probables for the Sox vs Twins series this week? Any chance they miss Santana? I see in another thread that Mauer is on the DL.

Turcle
05-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Were gonna see Bonser, Ortiz, and Silva, no Santana. I'm not sure the order of the pitchers but I know we avoid Santana. :supernana:

DeadMoney
05-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Were gonna see Bonser, Ortiz, and Silva, no Santana. I'm not sure the order of the pitchers but I know we avoid Santana. :supernana:

Santana pitched on Saturday, and Ponson today. And then, as you said, Bonser, Ortiz and Silva. The thing is, they COULD pitch Santana on Thursday (on normal 4 days rest), and skip Silva to Friday against the Tigers, but it doesn't sound like they will.

This is fine by me, but I'm still skeptical that we'll actually miss him. For some reason Gardenhire is obsessed with the Sox and I wouldn't put it past him to start Sanatana on Thursday. The only thing is, one has to ask what's better for the Twins? We'd all like to think that they should start their best pitcher against us, but right now, it seems that him facing Detroit would be the better choice (for them; and us ironically).

soxinem1
05-06-2007, 07:56 PM

These three are actually throwing pretty well, as Ortiz and Silva have lower ERA's than Johan, and Boof is averaging over a K an inning. True, they are not hitting, but neither are we.

TDog
05-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Santana pitched on Saturday, and Ponson today. And then, as you said, Bonser, Ortiz and Silva. The thing is, they COULD pitch Santana on Thursday (on normal 4 days rest), and skip Silva to Friday against the Tigers, but it doesn't sound like they will.

This is fine by me, but I'm still skeptical that we'll actually miss him. For some reason Gardenhire is obsessed with the Sox and I wouldn't put it past him to start Sanatana on Thursday. The only thing is, one has to ask what's better for the Twins? We'd all like to think that they should start their best pitcher against us, but right now, it seems that him facing Detroit would be the better choice (for them; and us ironically).

The Twins may now feel they need to beat the Tigers worse than they need to beat the White Sox. They may be looking at beginning the Tigers series with Santana before Ponson. It's odd to see the Twins with only one pitcher teams hate to see.

I wouldn't mind the Twins showing the Sox such disrespect if that proves the case.

IlliniSox4Life
05-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Danks gets his first win. Mark it down.

jabrch
05-06-2007, 09:28 PM
No Santana - and no Joe Mauer. That's nice.

No Thome and no Pods. That's not.

I can't wait until Guillen has his team back - these cobbled lineups really do suck.

chisoxmike
05-06-2007, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Gardenhire starts Santana on Thursday if the Sox take the first two games of the series OR if the Twins can go for the sweep.

Turcle
05-06-2007, 10:26 PM
These three are actually throwing pretty well, as Ortiz and Silva have lower ERA's than Johan, and Boof is averaging over a K an inning. True, they are not hitting, but neither are we.

I understand that they are pitching well but the Sox seem to hit Carlos Silva pretty well in the past IIRC. He's got above a 6 ERA against the Sox, I'm not gaurenteeing success I'm just saying we get a few runs. The biggest problem I forsee is that I don't think we've faced Boof Bonser and we know how well the Sox seem to do against pitchers we've never faced before.

In fact it may also just be bad luck for Silva because he was the losing pitcher in that game where Mark gave up 7 runs in the first but settled down and got the win.

ElDuque26
05-06-2007, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Gardenhire starts Santana on Thursday if the Sox take the first two games of the series OR if the Twins can go for the sweep.

i feel like you guys are forgetting that it is may...as great as a sweep would be for them or how bad us sweeping them might be in their eyes, i doubt they will mess with the rotation and throw everything off for a may game...it looks like Silva on thursday who has a sub-3 era

oeo
05-06-2007, 10:37 PM
i feel like you guys are forgetting that it is may...as great as a sweep would be for them or how bad us sweeping them might be in their eyes, i doubt they will mess with the rotation and throw everything off for a may game...it looks like Silva on thursday who has a sub-3 era

I'd be more surprised if they didn't. The Twins always mess with their rotation so we catch Santana.

ondafarm
05-06-2007, 10:48 PM

I think that's pretty likely.

FielderJones
05-06-2007, 11:11 PM
The biggest problem I forsee is that I don't think we've faced Boof Bonser and we know how well the Sox seem to do against pitchers we've never faced before.

The Sox saw Bonser (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/players/player/splits/2006/390098) twice last year. 0-1, 5.23 ERA. 13 hits in 10.1 innings, and 10 of them stayed in the park. .310 BAA. Although past performance is no guarantee of future success, I have to like our chances.

thomas35forever
05-06-2007, 11:15 PM
No Maurer? Crap, he's on my next-to-last place fantasy team.

getonbckthr
05-06-2007, 11:16 PM
A game on May 8th is 1/162 as is the game on September 25th. They all mean the same thing.

chisoxmike
05-06-2007, 11:18 PM
No Maurer? Crap, he's on my next-to-last place fantasy team.

:rolleyes:
Does your fantasy team put the Sox in first place?

chisoxfan79
05-06-2007, 11:54 PM

I think we will see Santana thursday only if the Sox win the first 2

WhiteSox5187
05-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Well if this cobbled lineup hits those guys hard then maybe if I'm Gardenhire I'm thinking "Uh oh, if this team is hitting us then the Tigers will KILL our guys" and keep Santana for the Tigers. The Twins always use Santana against the team that poses the most threat to them (ie who they're trying to catch up to or stave off) and it just so happens that of late that team has been the Sox. This year though they'll also be trying to stave off and catch up to the Tigers and Indians so they won't be able to keep Santana only for us.

GregO23
05-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Im just happy we are missing Mauer. Santana is a benefit if he dont get moved up. We will not hit Santana, but after Santana comes out, we usually hit the next pitcher, even if it is Nathan, hopefully we are just down by 1 or 2.

russ99
05-07-2007, 04:54 PM
The Sox saw Bonser (http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/players/player/splits/2006/390098) twice last year. 0-1, 5.23 ERA. 13 hits in 10.1 innings, and 10 of them stayed in the park. .310 BAA. Although past performance is no guarantee of future success, I have to like our chances.

As I recall, Bonser struck out an awful lot of guys last year vs. the Sox, so we're gonna have to get to him early.

I doubt the Twins rush in Santana vs. the Sox, long season.

soxwon
05-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Does anybody have the probables for the Sox vs Twins series this week? Any chance they miss Santana? I see in another thread that Mauer is on the DL.

You mean the Sox go into 2nd place series?

chisoxfanatic
05-07-2007, 05:26 PM

I don't see the later happening.

Doesn't it just sicken all of you that such an outstanding arm can go down for an entire season, and this team can STILL provide a formidable five-man rotation? I friggen hate the Twins.

FielderJones
05-07-2007, 05:34 PM
As I recall, Bonser struck out an awful lot of guys last year vs. the Sox, so we're gonna have to get to him early.

Meh, 8 Ks in 10.1 innings in 2 appearances. I find the 13 hits and 2 walks and 6 earned runs more significant. Bonser did not get out of the 6th inning in either of his two appearances. On 8-18-2006 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2006/B08180MIN2006.htm) Freddy had a crap outing but Bonser left the game tied and had a ND. On 9-29-2006 (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2006/B09290MIN2006.htm) Freddy had a good outing and Bonser got hung with the loss. Interesting that this is the third game in a row that he gets us in that stupid Dump Dome.

I'm not concerned about scoring runs off Boof Bonser. :rolleyes:

JB98
05-07-2007, 06:46 PM

That won't happen. Gardenhire is not Jerry Manuel. He isn't going to manage Game 3 of the series on the basis of what happened in the first two.

The Twins play the Tigers over the weekend. At this point, Detroit has to be considered a much better hitting team than the Sox. Gardenhire is going to save Santana for the opener of the Detroit series.

I just hope our players don't think too much of this "break." The way we're swinging the bats right now, who is to say Bonser, Ortiz and Silva won't shut us down?

FielderJones
05-07-2007, 11:37 PM
I just hope our players don't think too much of this "break." The way we're swinging the bats right now, who is to say Bonser, Ortiz and Silva won't shut us down?

I'll say it. Bonser, Ortiz, and Silva won't shut us down. You can call me a stupid homer idiot if I'm wrong, but you have to give me 10 of these :worship:if I'm right. :redneck

Chicken Dinner
05-08-2007, 10:15 AM
I'll say it. Bonser, Ortiz, and Silva won't shut us down. You can call me a stupid homer idiot if I'm wrong, but you have to give me 10 of these :worship:if I'm right. :redneck

Maybe because none of them are left handed? :o:

skottyj242
05-08-2007, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Gardenhire starts Santana on Thursday when the Sox take the first two games of the series .

Fixed it for ya Mike.

Baby Fisk
05-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Ozzie's take on the pitching matchups:

"I might kiss Gardy," Guillen said of Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire. "I might be the only guy that kiss him. They aren't pitching Santana? Why? What happened? Is he in jail or something?"

:lol: linky (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070506&content_id=1949274&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

PicktoCLick72
05-08-2007, 04:02 PM
Geat Quote by Ozzie. Sometimes it seems like he post here everyday.

balke
05-08-2007, 04:35 PM
How dumb am I for expecting 2 out of 3 and half expecting a sweep?

thedudeabides
05-08-2007, 04:40 PM

I get the same feeling. Bring it Twins. :cool:

FielderJones
05-08-2007, 08:51 PM

No more of an idiot than me. Anybody still afraid of Doof Bonser? :tongue:

Bobby Jenks
05-09-2007, 11:59 AM
I'd say Boof pitched pretty well. Ortiz looks like he has been sharp so far as well. Looks like we will have a tough time in this series

southsideirish71
05-09-2007, 12:16 PM
I'd say Boof pitched pretty well. Ortiz looks like he has been sharp so far as well. Looks like we will have a tough time in this series

We are hitting .207 in the month of May. So pretty much until we get out of this, every pitch will give us a tough time.