PDA

View Full Version : The Diamonbacks suck - professional lens

bryPt
05-06-2007, 03:40 PM
About an hour ago, I just paid $10 for parking, and then a $56 dollar ticket to see the Diamondbacks play the Mets in Phoenix. I am out here so I thought I would catch a game.

As I was walking in with my camera, I was stopped by security and told:

"That camera is not allowed in the ballpark. Are you media? That lens is a professional lens."

WHAT? So if you have a white lens on your camera, keep it in the car in at a Diamondbacks game, because they will stop you. I said I take it to Sox games all the time, they said "put it in the car." Chase does not allow professional equipment in.

Canon 100-400mm L with IS.

Okay, so he is right, it is a pro lens, but I have brought it to 2 Sox games this year with not even a wimper from security.

Can a professional photographer get in with a non-professional lens?

Thankfully, I was able to get a refund on my ticket. There was no way I was going to leave that thing in a rental car during a baseball and NBA game going on at the same time

I guess that is what I get for going to see team other than my WHITE SOX!

MarySwiss
05-06-2007, 03:47 PM
About an hour ago, I just paid $10 for parking, and then a $56 dollar ticket to see the Diamondbacks play the Mets in Phoenix. I am out here so I thought I would catch a game.

As I was walking in with my camera, I was stopped by security and told:

"That camera is not allowed in the ballpark. Are you media? That lens is a professional lens."

WHAT? So if you have a white lens on your camera, keep it in the car in at a Diamondbacks game, because they will stop you. I said I take it to Sox games all the time, they said "put it in the car." Chase does not allow professional equipment in.

Canon 100-400mm L with IS.

Okay, so he is right, it is a pro lens, but I have brought it to 2 Sox games this year with not even a wimper from security.

Can a professional photographer get in with a non-professional lens?

Thankfully, I was able to get a refund on my ticket. There was no way I was going to leave that thing in a rental car during a baseball and NBA game going on at the same time

I guess that is what I get for going to see team other than my WHITE SOX!

Not to stick up for Chase necessarily, but different stadiums have different rules. Probably would have been a good idea to check ahead of time.

And look at it this way; at least you got a refund. I'm sure there are stadiums where that would not have been the case.

Rockin Robin
05-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Yeah, not at all surprised, considering the kind of lens you're packing

itsnotrequired
05-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Yeah, not at all surprised, considering the kind of lens you're packing

Ditto.

HotelWhiteSox
05-06-2007, 05:31 PM
I don't know policy with that sort of thing, but I will pile on what MarySwiss said, I doubt a lot of places would have given a ticket refund

TDog
05-06-2007, 08:48 PM
They probably sell overpriced film in the gift shops. Oh the irony.

I have a 70-300mm Canon zoom that I took to Sox games in 2003. It's black, but if I go to a Giants game this summer, I'll be sure to check with the Giants before I take it to the ballpark. It would be hard to put your lens in your car if you take mass transit.

SoXPriDe33
05-06-2007, 09:17 PM
It definitely depends on the venue you go to. When my family went to the Sugar Bowl in January my Mom almost had to go all the way back to the hotel because they weren't going to let her in with her professional lens but after some sweet talking they said "If you use it, you're out of here." Completely different story when we went to Opening Day this year.

FireMariotti
05-06-2007, 09:38 PM
For the photo illiterate here, do they not allow a professional lens simply because of the high quality photos you can get with it, and possibly sell? Or is there something else to it?

Frater Perdurabo
05-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Yet another fan-unfriendly policy. The game continues to flourish in spite of the idiots running it.

DumpJerry
05-06-2007, 10:20 PM
For the photo illiterate here, do they not allow a professional lens simply because of the high quality photos you can get with it, and possibly sell? Or is there something else to it?
That is what I was thinking. Check the D-Back's website to see if there is a published rule. Of course, this would be out of curiosity since it is after the fact.

You're lucky you got a refund, that is unusual.

RadioheadRocks
05-06-2007, 10:26 PM
I remember attending a game there back in 1998 when the park first opened and simply walking around the park to take pictures got their ushers and security guards collective undies in a twist, and I had one of those Fun Saver cameras and was not interfering with anyone's view or taking pictures while the game was in progress!!!!! I wanted a decent shot of the field from behind home plate between innings and after explaining that I travel all over and take pictures of all the ballparks (in addition to a little arm-twisting) they finally allowed me to take ONE picture. Let's just say that BryPT's experience reaffirms my opinion that Chase Field (or whatever they're calling it these days) is not exactly fan-friendly for those who do a lot of ballpark tours.

bryPt
05-07-2007, 12:21 AM
I just got off the plane. Had luggage and my camera bag with me. Saw the game time and said heck ya, so I didn't have time to check. There is no way I am leaving my camera bag in my car, especially a rental. I could care less about the luggage, the camera bag is worth more than the car.

itsnotrequired
05-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Yet another fan-unfriendly policy. The game continues to flourish in spite of the idiots running it.

There has to be a limit as to what people can bring in. Otherwise, you would have yahoos setting up tripods with 3 foot lenses. According to the White Sox website, "large camera bags" are not permitted. Now what defines a large bag sounds like a judgment call but I would hardly say that a policy prohibiting professional photo equipment is "fan-unfriendly".

ewokpelts
05-07-2007, 09:38 AM
the united center has a bag check. i would have asked if you could have left the camera at guest services or thier main office.
gene

p.s. $56 for the friggen dbacks? with thier ugly ass uniforms and craptacular play? i would have just sprung for a 10 dollar ticket.

bryPt
05-07-2007, 10:24 AM
it was a 4th row seat, right by 1st base.

Going tonight. GARCIA IS PITCHING, ROWAND WILL BRING MORE PIE!

Frater Perdurabo
05-07-2007, 10:47 AM
There has to be a limit as to what people can bring in. Otherwise, you would have yahoos setting up tripods with 3 foot lenses. According to the White Sox website, "large camera bags" are not permitted. Now what defines a large bag sounds like a judgment call but I would hardly say that a policy prohibiting professional photo equipment is "fan-unfriendly".

Fair enough. But I don't have a lot of faith that security guards can differentiate between "professional" and "consumer" camera gear. Banning "professional" equipment, or "large camera bags" is far too broad and subject to interpretation by security guards who probably don't know much about photography.

The Canon 100-400mm lens that was not allowed into the park (as per the original post) is 7.4 inches long. That's shorter than many large drink cups sold at stadiums. It's a little on the heavy side but it doesn't require the use of a tripod (or even a monopod).

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/images/lens/ef100-400_45-56lisu_586x225.jpg

I totally understand that tripods and three-foot lenses are a problem in the stands. If that's what the stadium operators want to ban for reasons of fan safety and comfort, then their policies should be specific.

bryPt
05-07-2007, 10:48 AM
How much do you guys give me if I bring in a sign tonight that says:

ROWAND, BRING MORE PIE TO CHICAGO

itsnotrequired
05-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Fair enough. But I don't have a lot of faith that security guards can differentiate between "professional" and "consumer" camera gear. Banning "professional" equipment, or "large camera bags" is far too broad and subject to interpretation by security guards who probably don't know much about photography.

The Canon 100-400mm lens that was not allowed into the park (as per the original post) is 7.4 inches long. That's shorter than many large drink cups sold at stadiums. It's a little on the heavy side but it doesn't require the use of a tripod (or even a monopod).

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/images/lens/ef100-400_45-56lisu_586x225.jpg

I totally understand that tripods and three-foot lenses are a problem in the stands. If that's what the stadium operators want to ban for reasons of fan safety and comfort, then their policies should be specific.

Agreed that the restrictions should be more specific (i.e. no lens over 10" long, no mono, bi or tripods allowed, etc.).

The specific lens in question isn't that large but is heavy, has on-board electronics, etc. It is a serious lens.

bryPt
05-07-2007, 11:27 AM
oh heck yeah it is a serious lens! That glass is the shiznick. I will be posting some shots of a Mark's last start at the Cell on my site once I get back from AZ. I was sitting in the Sox Pride section and was getting kick butt shots all the way out there. Canon L Glass is awesome, I wish I could afford more of them.

I am going tonight, sitting by the Phillies bullpen. I will be bringing my pro camera with a non-pro lens and hopefully be getting sweaty Freddie warming up.

ewokpelts
05-07-2007, 11:36 AM
it was a 4th row seat, right by 1st base.

Going tonight. GARCIA IS PITCHING, ROWAND WILL BRING MORE PIE!well...i guess that's ok then.....but i doubt garcia's pitching...he got hurt recently

bryPt
05-07-2007, 11:39 AM
It is on the Phillies site, even an article saying he will be pitching tonight.

Frater Perdurabo
05-07-2007, 08:51 PM
It is a serious lens.

I agree that it is a serious "professional lens." I'd like one! (How wide will the aperture open at the 400 zoom? How much did it cost?)
:redface:

But if the lens is shorter than many large beverage cups, what is it that the stadium operators were trying to prevent?

Interfering with the comfort and experience of other fans?

Or trying to keep fans from taking high quality photos?

If they specified in their policies a specific lens length, and no mono/bi/tri/quadpods, then it's clear that the comfort and enjoyment of all fans is paramount.

If the policy only prohibits "professional" equipment, then it seems less to do with fan comfort and enjoyment and more to do with outright greed.

Yes, it is their right to be greedy, and we accept that when we purchase tickets. And yes, they were very nice to refund the ticket price.

But let's all be honest about this. These policies seem to be more about greed than preserving fan comfort and enjoyment.

Here's another example: My wife graduated this weekend. The ceremony was in a gym. The light banks over the bleachers were fully illuminated (no doubt to ensure safety). The lights over the floor - where the graduates marched and sat, and where the elderly and disabled were encouraged to sit - were not illuminated! So much for safety! I can't help but think that those light were off specifically to prevent spectators (families, etc.) from taking really good photos, just to increase sales for the professional photographer who was on hand.

There. I've spoken my peace. :rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
05-07-2007, 10:33 PM
But if the lens is shorter than many large beverage cups, what is it that the stadium operators were trying to prevent?

Doesn't that thing weigh something like 5 lbs? That would be like bringing a 40 into the park. It could be considered a missle.

Frater Perdurabo
05-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Doesn't that thing weigh something like 5 lbs? That would be like bringing a 40 into the park. It could be considered a missle.

A person would have to drink 40 40-oz beers to be drunk enough to throw a professional camera lens.
:)

DumpJerry
05-07-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm sooooo looking forward to the day I can afford to buy a lens like that. I will be in Alaska in a New York Minute getting pics to die for!

bryPt
05-08-2007, 09:54 AM
I put that same exact lens in a small camera bag last night with just my camera. And I walked right in.

I have a cool pic of our boy Rowand that I will post on my site once I get back to Chicago. And yes, Rowand knows about "more pie."