PDA

View Full Version : It's Official...Clemens to the Yankees

lumpyspun
05-06-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm watching the M's/Yanks game and Roger just announced at the game that he is now officially a Yankee. :puking:

I'm glad I quit watching ESPN a long time ago, I feel bad for those of you that will have to watch this for the next month.

ZachAL
05-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Just saw this on tv in the yanks game, pretty crazy the story didn't leak earlier assuming the deal has already been worked out.

Ugh, this is going to take up 45mins of an hour long sportscenter.

California Sox
05-06-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm watching the M's/Yanks game and Roger just announced at the game that he is now officially a Yankee. :puking:

I'm glad I quit watching ESPN a long time ago, I feel bad for those of you that will have to watch this for the next month.

It's the feel-good story of the every-minute-for-the-next-5-months.

Navarro's Talent
05-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Yeah, I think I'll just not tune into ESPN for at least a month now. As previously said, it's going to be a love-fest for a while now.

briguy27
05-06-2007, 02:30 PM
its ok, the rocket wont make that big of a difference. all they have pitching is him and wang, and thats all. a-rod has cooled off, and i think the yanks will miss october by 3 or 4 games

joebro25
05-06-2007, 02:35 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070506&content_id=1949377&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Frontman
05-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Of course the Sox have 3 separate series with the Yankees this year. Odds are we'll see him at least once.

It just made the Yanks a bit more interesting to follow......

VenturaFan23
05-06-2007, 03:43 PM
Like we all didn't see this one coming. George probably gave him a blank check to fill out. I have a feeling it's going to be different this time around though. Remember, he's coming into the AL and not NL which is AAAA.

lostfan
05-06-2007, 03:48 PM
I love how Clemens acts like he's God's gift to baseball, and that we all need to bow down and worship him. **** you Clemens, I wish you'd stop making a mockery out of the game and either give it 100% like every other MLB player does, or just retire and take your first ballot into the Hall of Fame. The amount of respect his legacy alone carries does have its limits. Nobody is THAT special.

HotelWhiteSox
05-06-2007, 04:18 PM
This definately helps them out

Rockin Robin
05-06-2007, 04:22 PM
This guy's ego is unbelievable

Frontman
05-06-2007, 04:58 PM
I love how Clemens acts like he's God's gift to baseball, and that we all need to bow down and worship him. **** you Clemens, I wish you'd stop making a mockery out of the game and either give it 100% like every other MLB player does, or just retire and take your first ballot into the Hall of Fame. The amount of respect his legacy alone carries does have its limits. Nobody is THAT special.

You mean like Barry Bonds? Not every player gives it his all. Bonds attends spring training if he feels like it, and leaves when he thinks he's ready.

But, I agree that I wish Roger would commit so he could play Opening Day.

TheOldRoman
05-06-2007, 06:05 PM
This means NOTHING in terms of the Yankees' chances. He won't be the savior. ESPN seems to forget that before his "retirement" with the Yankees in 03, he was getting knocked around. He was far from great those last two years. After that he went to the far inferior National League where he got to throw to pitchers. He also went six innings at most usually (because the game dicates when to pull the pitcher for a pinch hitter in the NL), and let a great bullpen carry the bags for him the rest of the way.

That wont happen in the America League. He ERA won't be anywhere near the 2s. He will have to face middle infielders with a little power instead of pitchers, and he will be facing much, much better hitters in general. His bullpen isn't good this year, so he is going to have trouble winning unless he can go 8 (which he never will). He will be lucky to get through 5 any given game - and with that bullpen, it will hurt the Yankees even more the rest of the week. He is still very old, and still has health issues.

The most important thing is, look at the last time us Sox fans saw Clemens. His overhyped fat ass got knocked around in the World Series, then had to leave with a mysterious injury. He likes huge paychecks, he loves attention, and he likes winning, but he can't cope with the rest of it. He is going to be getting hit around, pointing fingers at teammates, and leaving with more mysterious injuries. But hey, at least he gets to take cheap shots at Piazza again! **** you Roger Clemens. You won't be a savior, you will be a failure, and the fans will turn on you. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it through the season.

VenturaFan23
05-06-2007, 06:10 PM
This means NOTHING in terms of the Yankees' chances. He won't be the savior. ESPN seems to forget that before his "retirement" with the Yankees in 03, he was getting knocked around. He was far from great those last two years. After that he went to the far inferior National League where he got to throw to pitchers. He also went six innings at most usually (because the game dicates when to pull the pitcher for a pinch hitter in the NL), and let a great bullpen carry the bags for him the rest of the way.

That wont happen in the America League. He ERA won't be anywhere near the 2s. He will have to face middle infielders with a little power instead of pitchers, and he will be facing much, much better hitters in general. His bullpen isn't good this year, so he is going to have trouble winning unless he can go 8 (which he never will). He will be lucky to get through 5 any given game - and with that bullpen, it will hurt the Yankees even more the rest of the week. He is still very old, and still has health issues.

The most important thing is, look at the last time us Sox fans saw Clemens. His overhyped fat ass got knocked around in the World Series, then had to leave with a mysterious injury. He likes huge paychecks, he loves attention, and he likes winning, but he can't cope with the rest of it. He is going to be getting hit around, pointing fingers at teammates, and leaving with more mysterious injuries. But hey, at least he gets to take cheap shots at Piazza again! **** you Roger Clemens. You won't be a savior, you will be a failure, and the fans will turn on you. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make it through the season.

Great post! Too bad ESPN isn't listening. I've got BBTN on right now and it's been 10 minutes and counting talking about Clemens. :puking:

TheOldRoman
05-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Allow me to clarify my other post. I am not saying the Yankees are done, and that they won't win the division (because they probably still will). I am just saying that Clemens will have no impact on the outcome. He won't be the savior he wants to be.

SoxandtheCityTee
05-06-2007, 06:24 PM
The most important thing is, look at the last time us Sox fans saw Clemens. His overhyped fat ass got knocked around in the World Series, then had to leave with a mysterious injury.

That game was the first thing I thought of. Bring him on.

Lip Man 1
05-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Story says the Yanks will pay him between 18 to 20 million for less then a full season.

Wow.

It seems their payroll never has limitations does it?

Lip

Frontman
05-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Personally, I would of rather saw Roger go back to the National League, as you know he'd actually challenge Bonds come his "historic" homer.

lostfan
05-06-2007, 06:49 PM
You mean like Barry Bonds? Not every player gives it his all. Bonds attends spring training if he feels like it, and leaves when he thinks he's ready.

But, I agree that I wish Roger would commit so he could play Opening Day.
Bonds is a category almost in and of himself. There's only a few players in the league that go into that category, and of course Clemens is one of them.

cwsfannick
05-06-2007, 06:57 PM
The reality is the Rocket will be a 5 inning pitcher in the AL. By the time he does start pitching for the Yanks the Bullpen will be spent and unable to hold leads.

Not sure if the addition is going to help Yanks unless they start to get quality starts now.

spiffie
05-06-2007, 06:57 PM

I guess I fall somewhere in the middle between ESPN's expectations and your guess. He'll probably average a 4.00 or so and throw about 6 innings a game. It's probably better for the Yanks then to have Pavano making all those starts, or Karstens, or whomever other than Mussina and Wang. He's wildly overpaid, but when you have an unlimited payroll you might as well take a shot at upgrading the rotation.

In the end it don't matter, even if the Yanks get to the postseason they'll just choke again. Roger certainly isn't the answer to THAT problem.

bigfoot
05-06-2007, 07:37 PM
I don't think I'll worry much about Clemens and the ado his announcement has created. So far he's thrown as many pitches as Wood and Prior, combined. Roger Clemens, your DL is boarding!

HotelWhiteSox
05-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Story says the Yanks will pay him between 18 to 20 million for less then a full season.

Wow.

Lip

I read 28 mill

I don't really like him, but won't fault him for this, past performance (no matter how he did it) has earned him the luxury, plus he's old, so if he has the luxury, it's his choice if he wants to do a whole year. Kind of like when we had El Duque and had to give him those "DL" stints to rest him

I remember the Sox always used to do well with Clemens, I always antcipated the Clemens/Thomas matchups.

TheOldRoman
05-06-2007, 07:44 PM
I read 28 mill

I don't really like him, but won't fault him for this, past performance (no matter how he did it) has earned him the luxury, plus he's old, so if he has the luxury, it's his choice if he wants to do a whole year. Kind of like when we had El Duque and had to give him those "DL" stints to rest him

I remember the Sox always used to do well with Clemens, I always antcipated the Clemens/Thomas matchups.It's $28 million for the entire year, prorated from the time he comes onto the roster. He will miss the first two months of the season, so that is $10 mil right there.

HotelWhiteSox
05-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Oh okay, I forgot the prorated part, I just saw the figure in a story, my fault

Fenway
05-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Thank gawd this circus is in da Bronx and not in Boston

Reaction in Boston is 100% **** him

This guarantees the Red Sox winning the AL East :D:

The Red Sox issued this statement

"We met with Randy Hendricks earlier this week and, at Randy's request, made an offer to Roger Clemens. We offered a substantial salary and suggested, for health purposes, that Clemens return on approximately the same timetable as last year. Today we learned from Randy that Clemens has signed elsewhere." Elsewhere LOL

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070506&content_id=1949783&vkey=pr_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

SoXPriDe33
05-06-2007, 08:20 PM
Any word on when he makes his first start?

FireMariotti
05-06-2007, 08:53 PM
I guess the dark side is just too tempting, even for a family man like Clemens. What happened to wanting to be close to home?:rolleyes:

Steinbrenner reminds me of this guy:
http://www.lunchboxing.com/images/features/fazio/scorpio.jpg

"Forget your family Roger, stay here with me. We'll go bowling!"

Bucky F. Dent
05-06-2007, 09:09 PM
Man, I want to see this guy crater!

HotelWhiteSox
05-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Remember when he went back to Houston and his reason was because the local dealership gave him a free Hummer

Pick one:

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50356710/102pcs_Tool_Set.jpg

kitekrazy
05-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Rocket boosts hopes in East
Yankees' signing of Clemens puts Sox, AL Central on alert

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-070506clemens,1,4089834.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

I thought the header was a bit ridiculous.

Clemens is on a monthly salary. So I guess he might decide sit July or August out.

Eventually age catches up on athletes no matter how gifted you are. He's done real well in the NL but the AL is a much more difficult league to pitch against.

Will this be the season where Roger really needs to hang it up?

itsnotrequired
05-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Arby's is a fine dining establishment for mirth and merriment.

TheOldRoman
05-06-2007, 10:19 PM
That is some horrible, horrible journalism right there. Rogers is at his finest.

The subheadline is false advertising. Not only does this signing *not* put the Sox and ALC on alert, but NOWHERE does the article actually discuss why it supposedly puts the Sox on alert.

Basically, the article is just the "Clemens signs with the Yankees" story everyone heard already, and every newspaper will print tomorrow. Rogers threw the words "Sox" and "AL Central" into the title, even though it has NOTHING to do with them, just to get unsuspecting Sox fans like us to read it and try to see why that signing dooms us.

Well, here is the one sentence that almost discusses why it puts us on alert But if the Clemens signing pays off, both the Yankees and Red Sox could win 90-plus games, raising the stakes for other AL contenders.

Piss poor journalism. Wait, I will take it one step further. Rogers is DESPICABLE for writing this.:D:

ilsox7
05-06-2007, 10:20 PM
That is some horrible, horrible journalism right there. Rogers is at his finest.

The subheadline is false advertising. Not only does this signing *not* put the Sox and ALC on alert, but NOWHERE does the article actually discuss why it supposedly puts the Sox on alert.

Basically, the article is just the "Clemens signs with the Yankees" story everyone heard already, and every newspaper will print tomorrow. Rogers threw the words "Sox" and "AL Central" into the title, even though it has NOTHING to do with them, just to get unsuspecting Sox fans like us to read it and try to see why that signing dooms us.

Piss poor journalism. Wait, I will take it one step further. Rogers is DESPICABLE for writing this.:D:

Generally, Rogers does not provide the headline.

ChiSoxGirl
05-06-2007, 10:31 PM

Wow.

Lip

Watching the local news after the Sox game today, the sportscaster said it'll equate to $4.5 million per month! :mg:

Brian26
05-06-2007, 10:35 PM

Don't you think the Red Sox would have welcomed him with open arms, though, if he decided to pick Boston? It's easy to say F-him after he picked NYY, but don't act like nobody wanted him back in Boston. They made him a sizable offer.

ilsox7
05-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Don't you think the Red Sox would have welcomed him with open arms, though, if he decided to pick Boston? It's easy to say F-him after he picked NYY, but don't act like nobody wanted him back in Boston. They made him a sizable offer.

Seriously. Boston is just jealous of New York. Again.

areilly
05-07-2007, 12:56 AM

Well, here is the one sentence that almost discusses why it puts us on alert

At the Tribune, columnists and reporters don't write the heads and decks; copy editors do...and I wouldn't really classify that step as journalism in the first place.

chaerulez
05-07-2007, 01:16 AM
If anyone is a worse egomaniac me first tool than Curt Schilling, it's Roger Clemens. I mean in 1950 would it have been okay with someone like Ted Williams if a teammate just decided he wanted to play starting in June or July, and forget about spring training or the start of the season? I don't understand why this is accepted in the sport.

soxfanatlanta
05-07-2007, 06:34 AM
I don't understand why this is accepted in the sport.

What did P.T. Barnum once say about suckers?

I agree with what Roman wrote; he's not going to help out the bullpen with his 5-6 innings pitched per game. This changes nothing for the Yankees.

dcb56
05-07-2007, 07:35 AM
It's $28 million for the entire year, prorated from the time he comes onto the roster. He will miss the first two months of the season, so that is $10 mil right there.

Ya, but throw in luxury taxes and it will end up costing the Yankees ~$25 million.

WizardsofOzzie
05-07-2007, 08:36 AM
4.5 million a month? Gag me. That's worse than Dice K :rolleyes:

Rockin Robin
05-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Seriously. Boston is just jealous of New York. Again.

Ehhhhhhhhh, I don't think so. Yeah, of course he'd be welcomed with open arms, but I really don't think the Sox are in desperate need for another starting arm, they seem to be doing just fine. There really wasn't a whole lot of reaction around here...nobody realistically expected him to come here anyway

rocky biddle
05-07-2007, 09:30 AM
I can't wait for the first time Dice-K faces Clemens. I'm surprised ESPN doesn't have a countdown clock as we speak.

chisoxmike
05-07-2007, 09:51 AM

And this is why people hate Red Sox fans. My God, if the Red Sox got him you all would be demanding the World Series trophy already and think its not even worth playing the rest of the season.

The Red Sox wanted to overpay and kiss his feet and be strung along like the hopeless romantic boy over the prom queen too. Same thing with A-Rod and now the same with Clemens. **** both the Yankees and Red Sox.

the gooch
05-07-2007, 09:52 AM
So clemens is making $4.5M, which is more per month than ARod. Doesn't Rodriguez have a clause that bumbs up his salary if somebody makes more money than him? I doubt it, but would it apply here?

VenturaFan23
05-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Rocket boosts hopes in East
Yankees' signing of Clemens puts Sox, AL Central on alert

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-070506clemens,1,4089834.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

When did the Yankees move to the AL Central?? :rolleyes:

WizardsofOzzie
05-07-2007, 11:56 AM
This guy's ego is unbelievable
Definately, considering with this signing he is basically saying he can single handedly revive the Yankees all the way to the World Series. Clemens has always said his motivation for playing was to win another World Series, yet he turns down the team with the best record in the AL East and obviously the best team between the Astros, Yankees, and Red Sox. Yeah, he's in it to win a ring all right. I'm sure the fact that the Yankees offered more money than the Red Sox had nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

russ99
05-07-2007, 12:32 PM
Definately, considering with this signing he is basically saying he can single handedly revive the Yankees all the way to the World Series. Clemens has always said his motivation for playing was to win another World Series, yet he turns down the team with the best record in the AL East and obviously the best team between the Astros, Yankees, and Red Sox. Yeah, he's in it to win a ring all right. I'm sure the fact that the Yankees offered more money than the Red Sox had nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

This is all about stroking Rocket's way-overblown ego, and lining his (and his scumbag agents) pockets with as much cash as possible.

Neither the Astros or the Red Sox wanted him so soon, and preferred him to choose a team in June or July, which means $25 million pro-rated for 5 out of 6 months was way too much for them. Obviously, Rocket could care less about winning or losing as long as he gets his cash.

While Clemens is probably one of the best pitchers of all time, I can't wait to see the Yanks and their "savior" fall flat on their faces.

I'm glad the Astros held their ground on vastly overpaying Pettitte & Clemens, though they still could use another starter.

Fenway
05-07-2007, 12:54 PM
Looks like Roger will make his first start on June 1st.....at Fenway

Roger Clemens lands (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/05/07/rocket_lands_with_yankees_again)
with Yankees again (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/05/07/rocket_lands_with_yankees_again)

The Rocket is back with New York, and he should be ready to pitch by June 1, which happens to be the night the Yankees next appear at Fenway Park. (By Dan Shaughnessy,)

After the Sox beat the Twins in Minneapolis yesterday, Schilling was asked his reaction to the Rocket's re entry into the Yankees clubhouse. Ever the blowhard, Schilling declared, "We don't need him" -- a comment of stupefying arrogance that is sure to come up a couple of million times between now and the end of the 2007 postseason.

Schilling responds (http://38pitches.com/2007/05/07/clemens-and-us/)
CHB can sob all he wants, Rocket coming here gave him something legitimate to actually write about for the next 4 months. Now he can stick to the bitter style heís perfected and talk about how bad we suck because we failed to get Rocket. The guy will retire as the greatest pitcher that ever lived. He wanted to go to NY, done deal. I canít stress it enough, it was a non-issue before yesterday and is a non-issue today. We had no control over him coming or going so it was never more than weight room chatter.

The Red Sox now have their slogan for 2007
http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/images/778132_bh_May072007_A001.001.jpg

A Nation scorned (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/05/fan_pulse_good.html)
It wasn't difficult to gauge the reaction of Red Sox fans across the Internet this morning, most of whom are taking a "good riddance" stance on Roger Clemens signing with the Yankees.

Forever in pinstripes (http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/wilbur/sports_blog/blog/2007/05/07/the_loneliest_number/index.html)
Let this be the end, writes Eric Wilbur. No more wondering when 21 will make it to the Fenway Park
In fact, the Red Sox could do little worse than ending the whole Roger charade by severing all ties with his memory now. Award No. 21 to someone this year, perhaps a certain lefthander in the coming weeks as a sign of respect and honor for his road to recovery? (Lester)

Put on your scenario glasses for a moment if you will. Knowing how much the Red Sox love theater (Doug Mirabelli, anyone?), imagine this playing out next month: With Clemens making his debut for New York in Fenway Park (itís a strong possibility), the Red Sox trot Jon Lester to the mound, back from his rehab stint, wearing the jersey that has sat in mothballs for the past 11 years

Schilling's quote "WE DON'T NEED HIM" has become the war cry

mccoydp
05-07-2007, 01:01 PM
Gosh, guess it's time to put in the Sox World Series DVD for Game 1 today, and watch Clemens get knocked around....:cool:

spiffie
05-07-2007, 01:12 PM
I guess when you know there's only one playoff spot likely to go to the AL East, it does make the battle more competitive, since either Boston or the Yanks will be at home this October. Someone will be paying over $150 million for the right to watch postseason baseball from their living rooms.

gobears1987
05-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Sweet! I love this deal. Clemens will be lit up by the entire AL. He should've stayed in the NL.

Fenway
05-07-2007, 01:14 PM
I guess when you know there's only one playoff spot likely to go to the AL East, it does make the battle more competitive, since either Boston or the Yanks will be at home this October. Someone will be paying over $150 million for the right to watch postseason baseball from their living rooms.

Reality is both Boston and New York will be there at the end. With 4 teams knocking each other silly in the Central it increases the odds of the WC coming out of the East.

WizardsofOzzie
05-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Reality is both Boston and New York will be there at the end. With 4 teams knocking each other silly in the Central it increses the odds of the WC coming out of the East.
There is no way in hell even with Clemens that the Yankees pitching staff can get them the division or WC...no way in hell

lumpyspun
05-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Looks like Roger will make his first start on June 1st.....at Fenway

I hope not...I'm going to be in Scranton on June 1st for a week and I would love to watch him get shelled, in person, at a AAA game.

Fenway
05-07-2007, 01:28 PM
There is no way in hell even with Clemens that the Yankees pitching staff can get them the division or WC...no way in hell

Anybody who thinks the Yankees won't win 90+ games with that lineup is a fool.

Honestly in the AL I can't see Roger being more than a .500 pitcher.

I love the idea about giving Lester #21 ( which has never been worn since Roger left ) Let Clemens go in to Cooperstown as a Yankee. Insult Roger even more by retiring Boggs number and not his.

Problem is you can't insult Roger. He just cashes the paycheck and smiles.

Chisox353014
05-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Watching the local news after the Sox game today, the sportscaster said it'll equate to $4.5 million per month! :mg:

At another site I read they worked out the expected amount that he will pitch...and it came to almost $9,000 per pitch.
So, essentially, this jagbag will make more money in the first inning of his first game than most of us on this site will make the entire year. Why do I bother following professional sports, again?

Mickster
05-07-2007, 01:42 PM

This guarantees the Red Sox winning the AL East :D:

The Red Sox issued this statement

Elsewhere LOL

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070506&content_id=1949783&vkey=pr_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

Fenway,

You can honestly say this with a straight face, can you?

Just last week you started this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87138). A Boston reporter stated I know, youíre as excited about the annual Roger Clemens sweepstakes (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070501&content_id=1940091&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) as anyone, but this year itís a no-brainer. Is there any doubt Clemens will come to Boston now? We may as well declare it inevitable. No matter how badly New York might need him, Clemens has to be a bit concerned that heíd be next in the line of walking wounded. and now the reaction by the team and the fans is "We don't need him"? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

jenn2080
05-07-2007, 01:52 PM
**** Clemons. I hope he gets lit up like Chevy Chases' house in Christmas Vacation. That guy need to have his head deflated.

palehozenychicty
05-07-2007, 01:54 PM
**** Clemons. I hope he gets lit up like Chevy Chases' house in Christmas Vacation. That guy need to have his head deflated.

:Dye:

Yawn.

palehozenychicty
05-07-2007, 01:55 PM
:dye:

Yawn.

ChiSoxGirl
05-07-2007, 01:58 PM
At another site I read they worked out the expected amount that he will pitch...and it came to almost $9,000 per pitch.

:mg: :mg: :mg: :mg:!!!!!!

So, essentially, this jagbag will make more money in the first inning of his first game than most of us on this site will make the entire year.

Now that you broke it down that way, you're absolutely right and it's beyond disgusting.

A couple months ago, I did an activity with my students entitled "How Much Do Professional Baseball Players Make?," figuring we could not only cover my favorite sport in class, but also help the students with math computation, crunching large numbers, etc. This activity had them figure out what players made per game, per inning, per at-bat or inning pitched, and per minute in 2006. A guy like A-Rod made nearly $15,000 per inning, and almost $750 per minute! Comparatively, Jenks made about $11.50 per minute. While Jenks's $340,000 salary is still bigger than most of ours, the difference between his and Rodriguez's is amazing.

These salaries have gotten so far out of control, it's not even funny.

HotelWhiteSox
05-07-2007, 02:07 PM
If you want to throw up, try and hear the Yankee radio coverage as this happened, I just heard it on the Score, hilariously bad though

Fenway
05-07-2007, 02:10 PM
Fenway,

You can honestly say this with a straight face, can you?

Just last week you started this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=87138). A Boston reporter stated and now the reaction by the team and the fans is "We don't need him"? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Many in Boston (myself included) thought that at this stage of Clemens career money would become a secondary factor. We honestly thought he would be thrilled with the idea of coming back and ending his career in Boston, beating Cy Young's record and perhaps helping Boston win another Series.

But of course money matters and that is ALL he cares about.

The 28 million figure was no accident as he puts him $1 M ahead of A-Rod as the highest of all time for one season.

Look all you need to know about the Clemens family is looking at his wife's website.

http://debbieclemens.com/

If the money she takes in was going to charity I could understand it but there is no mention that the money goes anywhere but into the Clemens vault.

WizardsofOzzie
05-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Anybody who thinks the Yankees won't win 90+ games with that lineup is a fool.

Honestly in the AL I can't see Roger being more than a .500 pitcher.

I love the idea about giving Lester #21 ( which has never been worn since Roger left ) Let Clemens go in to Cooperstown as a Yankee. Insult Roger even more by retiring Boggs number and not his.

Problem is you can't insult Roger. He just cashes the paycheck and smiles.
They are capable of it yes, but do I think they will accomplish it? No, I don't think their bats can slug their way past their awful pitching.

Fenway
05-07-2007, 02:15 PM
Yankees announcer Suzan Waldman went into orgasm ( I'm not kidding you have to listen to this ) when the announcement was made. (and you think Ron Santo is bad?)

AUDIO FROM WCBS New York

http://www.wcbs880.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=695991

Suzyn Waldman was a great baseball beat reporter when she covered the Yankees on WFAN. She was also a good pre and post game interviewer when she was on YES Network. She is not a good partner for the Yankees radio team, as color commentary is not her strong point. In fact she is incapable of doing play-by-play, leaving John Sterling to call play-by-play for every inning of every game all year long. They are, in my opinion, the worst radio crew in all of sports, and it is embarrassing that the Yankees do not put a better radio product out there for their fans. Sterling is fun to listen to and very dramatic, and he deserves a partner who can spell him 3 innings per game.

Waldman's call of Clemens' return was reminiscent of teenager girls fawning over the Elvis in the 50's or the Beatles in the 60's or David Cassidy in the 70's.

Paulwny
05-07-2007, 02:17 PM
Keep in mind, King George will open his wallet and offer his minor league players for another starter as soon as a team falls out of contention and has a fire sale.

Baby Fisk
05-07-2007, 02:17 PM
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/2019/bosox1xe2.jpg.

Fenway
05-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Remember NY stands for next year
http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/BDD_5.7.07_twilight_meir.jpg

lumpyspun
05-07-2007, 02:29 PM
If the money she takes in was going to charity I could understand it but there is no mention that the money goes anywhere but into the Clemens vault.

I'm always careful not to be to critical of a situation like this...people used to say the same thing about Bill Gates. When, in reality, he was saving all his money to figure out and learn about the world and where to donate his billions.

Fenway
05-07-2007, 02:42 PM
The NY papers are the worst I have ever seen them

With Gotham giddy about the return of Roger Clemens to the Bronx, we take a quick look at headlines, back pages, and articles from the New York press this morning.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2007/05/empire_statemen_1.html

Mike Lupica (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2007/05/07/2007-05-07_just_business_as_usual_for_boss__his_hir-4.html): "So the Yankees agreed to pay Clemens $18 million over the rest of the season, and when you add in a 40% luxury tax, that means he really costs them $25 million. And if, for fun, you want to project his salary across 162 games, you can say a pitcher who turns 45 in August effectively became the most expensive ballplayer, for one season, the Yankees or anybody else has ever had."

soxfan13
05-07-2007, 02:42 PM

If you are going to hate him at least have the decency to spell his name right CLEMENS:tongue: :gulp:

Fenway
05-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Brian Cashman was just on Mike and Mad Dog

from WFAN New York

http://www.wfan.com/episode_download.php?contentType=36&contentId=698103

chisoxmike
05-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Brian Cashman was just on Mike and Mad Dog

from WFAN New York

http://www.wfan.com/episode_download.php?contentType=36&contentId=698103

For someone that just said "**** 'em" you seem pretty obsessed about this.

Fenway
05-07-2007, 02:51 PM
For someone that just said "**** 'em" you seem pretty obsessed about this.

The entire Northeast is obsessed with this :smile:

chisoxmike
05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
The entire Northeast is obsessed with this :smile:

Ha. Of course, considering that's where the only two teams in MLB play.:tongue:

Fenway
05-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Ha. Of course, considering that's where the only two teams in MLB play.:tongue:

Is there life west of the Hudson River?

http://www.theredseat.com/productImages/trs_nationposter_detail_350.jpg

Fenway
05-07-2007, 03:04 PM
Why did the Yankees spend the money????

WEEI just provided a stat for the ages

Roger's career record when his team scores 4 runs or more:

260-13

HotelWhiteSox
05-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Looks like it's very possible his first or second start is against us, unless he wants to set up the big home game return deal

chisoxmike
05-07-2007, 03:11 PM
Looks like it's very possible his first or second start is against us, unless he wants to set up the big home game return deal

And Yankees fans will pay top dollar for our tickets!!!!!!!!:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

INSox56
05-07-2007, 03:18 PM
Will this be the season where Roger really needs to hang it up?Hopefully...this way he has to retire on a REALLY ****ty note instead of in a blaze of glory in his mind. I hope that happens...**** Clemens. We can hope this doesn't create some kind of president where guys play for part of a year. What a jackass

palehozenychicty
05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Hopefully...this way he has to retire on a REALLY ****ty note instead of in a blaze of glory in his mind. I hope that happens...**** Clemens. We can hope this doesn't create some kind of president where guys play for part of a year. What a jackass

:?:

INSox56
05-07-2007, 03:30 PM
:?:
precedent. sorry, doing design work at the same time isn't helping.

DrewSox56
05-07-2007, 03:36 PM
precedent. sorry, doing design work at the same time isn't helping.

Know what you meant, but pretty sure he's already done his part to establish it.

They're saying that he'll be starting by the end of May/early June. Possibly a series with the red cubs.

Fans that show proof of AARP membership will get a complimentary bottle of Geritol.

Fenway
05-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Bill Simmons got these emails

John F. in Kansas: "This is historic ... who ever heard of a rat jumping ON a sinking ship?"

Jason T. in Maine: "I'm happy Roger is going to the Yankees. Trying to bring him back to Boston made me feel like Forrest Gump at the end of the movie. You know, when Jenny, the used-up coke fiend, came back to Forrest to die of AIDS after screwing half the continent. After the last two series, the amount of hate for the Yankees, at least in my heart, was in serious decline. Now I feel re-invigorated, full of hate for all things pinstriped."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/blog/index?name=simmons

Uncle_Patrick
05-07-2007, 03:46 PM
If his first start is June 1 (as was stated earlier), then he should be pitching against the Sox on June 6, barring injury. I've got tickets for that game, too. Cool.

nodiggity59
05-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Clemens is an ******* for not staying with the team on off days, chasing the money, being an attention hound, etc.

That said, there is NOTHING WRONG with him playing only part of the year. The simple fact is that 4 months is all his body can handle at this time. If he played a full season he'd wear down and not perform as well.

WizardsofOzzie
05-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Clemens is an ******* for not staying with the team on off days, chasing the money, being an attention hound, etc.

That said, there is NOTHING WRONG with him playing only part of the year. The simple fact is that 4 months is all his body can handle at this time. If he played a full season he'd wear down and not perform as well.
The 2005 WS proved that. His body just crapped out on him in game 1

Fenway
05-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Roger wins 6 games and pulls a hamstring :smile:

NY means next year

DumpJerry
05-07-2007, 07:48 PM
This could be King George's biggest waste of money. Clemens will pitch around 16 games. Of those, he will win probably around 10. The question now will be: of those games Clemens wins for the Spanks, how many of them would they have won anyway?

Another thing: Clemens has been getting phenomenal numbers against NL batters with the 'Stros. When he actually faced AL hitters (Game 2 of the 2005 World Series), he could not get out of the 2nd inning.

Sorry if these points have already been brought up, I did not read the whole thread.

cheeses_h_rice
05-07-2007, 07:50 PM
And this is why people hate Red Sox fans. My God, if the Red Sox got him you all would be demanding the World Series trophy already and think its not even worth playing the rest of the season.

The Red Sox wanted to overpay and kiss his feet and be strung along like the hopeless romantic boy over the prom queen too. Same thing with A-Rod and now the same with Clemens. **** both the Yankees and Red Sox.

QFT.

A. Cavatica
05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
This doesn't affect us -- except that the cost of Mark Buehrle just went up. :whiner:

Foultips
05-08-2007, 01:08 AM
[quote=fenway;1564586]Yankees announcer Suzan Waldman went into orgasm ( I'm not kidding you have to listen to this ) when the announcement was made. (and you think Ron Santo is bad?)

AUDIO FROM WCBS New York

http://www.wcbs880.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=695991

OMG she is an embarssment to my gender. That acually aired in New York?

Fenway
05-08-2007, 01:21 AM
WEEI has played that clip about 32457 times today. That is Yankees radio.

HotelWhiteSox
05-08-2007, 01:44 AM
WEEI has played that clip about 32457 times today. That is Yankees radio.

Same with the Score. Gets me everytime though. I may have to download that to my cell phone

RAWJAH CLEMENZ IS IN JEOGEZ BOX

I've got that old lady who does the award red carpets on E! pictured

WizardsofOzzie
05-08-2007, 08:11 AM
This could be King George's biggest waste of money. Clemens will pitch around 16 games. Of those, he will win probably around 10. The question now will be: of those games Clemens wins for the Spanks, how many of them would they have won anyway?

Another thing: Clemens has been getting phenomenal numbers against NL batters with the 'Stros. When he actually faced AL hitters (Game 2 of the 2005 World Series), he could not get out of the 2nd inning.

Sorry if these points have already been brought up, I did not read the whole thread.
Clemens pitched game 1, Pettite pitched game 2 :tongue:

Fenway
05-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Same with the Score. Gets me everytime though. I may have to download that to my cell phone

RAWJAH CLEMENZ IS IN JEOGEZ BOX

I've got that old lady who does the award red carpets on E! pictured

your vision is closer than you know

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/team/broadcasters/suzyn_waldman.jpg

Fenway
05-08-2007, 08:59 AM
how come his nose doesn't grow?

"If you think it's about money, you're greatly mistaken. I'm not going to put my body through the paces I put my body through to earn a few more dollars," Clemens said at a charity golf tournament.

FEW????

Bob Ryan reminds us just how long Roger has been playing

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/05/08/beloved_at_first_sight/

and this tidbit, there is still one player from that Indians team still playing as well

But get a load of who was batting sixth and playing short, and had a sacrifice fly in Clemens's major league debut: 25-year-old shortstop Julio Franco.

ChiSoxGirl
05-08-2007, 10:42 AM
This was played on ESPN 1000 last night during Chicago Baseball Tonight repeatedly and Carmen made a great point. She says, "Of all the dramatic things I've ever seen...." Carmen then pointed out that the Yankees have won 26 Championships, and asked if those were not dramatic enough for her. If that's the case, the Yankees can keep getting Roger Clemens back year after year. That way, she can talk about "all the dramatic things she's ever seen" and we'll take some of those championships that apparently weren't "dramatic" enough for her.