PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* That's More Like It! 5-5 Postgame Thread

hi im skot
05-05-2007, 05:41 PM
I could get used to this.

Nice game all-around...let's take the series tomorrow!

Brian26
05-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Way to go, Garland.

:winner

FireMariotti
05-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Ahh, great to come home to some good news. Let's get the series!

MarySwiss
I picked "somebody" in the PTC contest. Do I get credit? :D:

ChiSox4Life
Whew... that was needed!! Hopefully they keep it going into tomorrow! It was nice to see all of the runs scored with hitting a homerun! Go Sox!

oeo
05-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Good game against a good pitcher. 6 runs with no dingers; can't ask for much more. Hopefully this is the start of things to come.

Jjav829
Wait, what's this "win" thing again? :?:

4th Gen. Sox Fan
Good to see Garland get his 1st win of the year and good to see the Offense score 6 runs without the aid of the long ball, take the series tomorrow and head into Minnesota with some momentum

goon
05-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Good for Garland and the team. Bobby looked damn nasty in the ninth too, great control, also hit 99, then 96 on the gun against the last batter.

The offense looked a little better, but still, you have to be excited about the way the starters and bullpen continue to pitch great. If the offense comes around soon, we should start rolling.

Frontman
05-05-2007, 05:44 PM
I don't care how you get runs, you take advantage of opportunities.

YES!!!

lostfan
05-05-2007, 05:46 PM
So will some people come off the ledge now? Or are we still in doom and gloom territory?

VenturaFan23
05-05-2007, 05:47 PM
A win without hitting a home run! How about that! :bandance:

BanditJimmy
05-05-2007, 05:48 PM
The offense striking early against a top 5 pitchers in this league was huge for us. Must win tomorrow to back this one up and show us really heading in the right direction.

soxfan123
05-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm still edgy about this team. We are not that good until we get Pods back. However, heck of a game today. I really like Sweeney so far, anyone else with me?

CanBuehrleWait
05-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Good, Good.

balke
05-05-2007, 05:49 PM
Even though I think he had no official hits, Ozuna had a big impact in this game. They used his speed to get on the board early.

Great to see the Sox string together hits and runs without leaving the park. Keep it up, and they will be playing baseball again. Their pitching has been, and will be great all season. Great to see those guys getting it done day in and day out.

JB98
05-05-2007, 05:50 PM
Huge sigh of relief for me when Jenks struck that last batter out. It feels like months since we last won.

Nice to see the Sox aggressive on the bases today. Make the opponent make plays, and maybe they'll botch a few. That's what happened today. The Angels kicked it around a bit, and we took advantage.

Good job by Garland overall, and a nice job by Thornton and MacDougal to nagivate the middle of the Anaheim order in the eighth. Protecting that one-run lead in that situation was the key to the game, IMO.

BanditJimmy
05-05-2007, 05:50 PM
So will some people come off the ledge now? Or are we still in doom and gloom territory?

Why is is that people are considered to "be on the ledge" when in fact the .219 average for this team was a cause for concern?

Huge difference between being concerned and "being on the ledge?"

sox1970
05-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Quality game. Hope they can build off this.

Jurr
05-05-2007, 05:52 PM
I picked "somebody" in the PTC contest. Do I get credit? :D:
You should've picked the Angels' defense. Wow.

JB98
05-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Why is is that people are considered to "be on the ledge" when in fact the .219 average for this team was a cause for concern?

I'm concerned, and I'm still concerned. We need to weather the storm for another week until JT gets back.

Bad news: We are 13-14.
Good news: 135 games left to do something about it.

Soxworldchamps
05-05-2007, 05:53 PM
I actually enjoyed listening to this game... something that hasn't happened for a while :D:

sox1970
05-05-2007, 05:55 PM
I'm concerned, and I'm still concerned. We need to weather the storm for another week until JT gets back.

Yep. 1/6th of the season is now over. Plenty of time to turn it around, but as the saying goes, no time like the present.

BanditJimmy
05-05-2007, 05:56 PM

I agree 100% with you.

If we get shut down by Colon tomorrow, today meant nothing going into a huge series vs the Twins.

Winning this series tomorrow would be HUGE for this team.

BanditJimmy
05-05-2007, 05:59 PM
I actually enjoyed listening to this game... something that hasn't happened for a while :D:

Listening to other anouncers other than Hawk and DJ was a blessing for me today. When the team is going bad, Hawk and DJ make the telecast even more dreadful. I have no problem with them when the team is winning. They are just flat out bad and excuse makers when we suck.

tstrike2000
05-05-2007, 06:00 PM
A win without hitting a home run! How about that! :bandance:

And also a win despite 1 RBI and 5 K's between Dye and Konerko. Way to go for the supporting cast to step it up today and for Garland to keeping the Angels in check and pen for shuttin' the door.

Jurr
05-05-2007, 06:04 PM
I was totally ready for the flood gates to open after Garland was getting popped. Great job getting out of the inning with a one run lead.

The Sox were making better contact, and the Angels were booting the ball around. Good things happen when you square up on a ball instead of trying to golf it out of the park.

BTW, when is Thome expected back? He'd be nice shot in the arm for this anemic offense.

lostfan
05-05-2007, 06:05 PM

You know full well what I mean by that, and let's not act like there aren't people panicking and jumping off the bandwagon already. I don't even know why you bothered trying to call me out like that.

BanditJimmy
05-05-2007, 06:05 PM
And also a win despite 1 RBI and 5 K's between Dye and Konerko. Way to go for the supporting cast to step it up today and for Garland to keeping the Angels in check and pen for shuttin' the door.

Dye and Konerko need to get going with RISP, they are like automatic outs right now any time someone is on base.

Clutch 2 out single by Paulie in the 1st inning, but then drew the collar after that.

Jurr
05-05-2007, 06:06 PM

With guys out, there's a possibility that the team grabs a huge boost in confidence with their return and takes off. Weathering the storm is the exact mindset they have to take on. Just keep treading water and stay within one game (+ or -) of .500. Get your lineup healthy and then take off.

Jurr
05-05-2007, 06:08 PM
You know full well what I mean by that, and let's not act like there aren't people panicking and jumping off the bandwagon already. I don't even know why you bothered trying to call me out like that.
"Sox fans" and the word "bandwagon" usually aren't used together.

sox1970
05-05-2007, 06:14 PM
After tomorrow, the Sox have 21 straight games played in either Minneapolis or Chicago. I'd say this would be a good time to get hot.

Jurr
05-05-2007, 06:18 PM
After tomorrow, the Sox have 21 straight games played in either Minneapolis or Chicago. I'd say this would be a good time to get hot.
This reminds me of the 2000 season where they had Cleveland and NY in four alternating series. That was the turning point of the season, where they caught fire and built a ton of confidence. It's time for the boys to get healthy and string some big wins together. We've got Minn, KC, the Yanks, and the Cubs. It's a great opportunity to win some high intensity, playoff atmosphere ballgames.

infohawk
05-05-2007, 06:20 PM
The Sox really needed that win. Also, I really needed that win for my psyche!!! I agree that it would be huge to take tomorrow's game. I also agree that, at worst, the team needs to hand around .500 until they get Pods and Thome back. I think that those two have a very significant impact on the flow of the offense. It's important to keep everyone in their usual role.

JB98
05-05-2007, 06:29 PM
The Sox really needed that win. Also, I really needed that win for my psyche!!! I agree that it would be huge to take tomorrow's game. I also agree that, at worst, the team needs to hand around .500 until they get Pods and Thome back. I think that those two have a very significant impact on the flow of the offense. It's important to keep everyone in their usual role.

We have four games left on this roadie. My feeling: Let's win two of them. If we get three, that's a bonus. Just hang around until we get JT back. We can make a run on the next homestand.

Whitesox029
05-05-2007, 06:34 PM
Way to go, Garland.

:winner
And if CLR is smart, he'll win the PTC. I've been working on my aim with the old elephant gun.

CLR01
05-05-2007, 06:36 PM
And if CLR is smart, he'll win the PTC. I've been working on my aim with the old elephant gun.

Your threats of violence do not faze me. :cool:

FielderJones
05-05-2007, 06:54 PM
I loved the snarkiness of Karros in the 9th inning about how Greg Walker got Sweeney to shoot one down the line and Erstad to spin one up the middle. Put the Walker-haters in their place.

jabrch
05-05-2007, 07:09 PM

These days they are. There are more bandwaggon Sox fans than I ever remember. Newly minted Sox fans, as of Fall 2005 are all over the place.

Foulke You
05-05-2007, 07:10 PM
6 runs is a downright offensive OUTBURST!! It felt like floodgates of offense after the previous 5 games.:D: Nice job by Garland and the bullpen. Thornton and MacDougal did a nice job putting a stop to an Angels uprising in the 8th.

Couldn't stand the Fox announcers today. It felt like an Angels broadcast. They kept calling Vladimir Guerrero "Vlady" and were downright disappointed (Joe Buck style) when the Sox scored runs. Tons of praise for Mike Tsoscia, Vlad Guerrero, John Lackey, etc. Typical Fox broadcast. They called A.J. "baseball's biggest villain this side of Barry Bonds" and of course, trotted out the obligatory 2005 ALCS footage of the dropped 3rd strike in Game 2. Give me Hawk and DJ any day of the week.

lostfan
05-05-2007, 07:10 PM
True enough, but those posers who try to combine the words with their very presence should be leaving in droves right about now, which I actually like. You know who I mean, those guys who bought Sox hats after the World Series even though the games they saw this decade could've been counted on one hand before that.

FielderJones
05-05-2007, 07:18 PM
True enough, but those posers who try to combine the words with their very presence should be leaving in droves right about now, which I actually like. You know who I mean, those guys who bought Sox hats after the World Series even though the games they saw this decade could've been counted on one hand before that.

Right, long-time Sox fans want them to leave because Kenny and Jerry sure wouldn't want to use their tainted money to sign fan favorites. :rolleyes:

Hitmen77
05-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Great game! Great outings by Garland and Jenks.

Good to see signs of life on the offense. I hope this starts them on the road back. Even with Thome and Pods down, our offense should not be as bad as it has been. With the way our pitching has been, the offense should still be adequate for us to win our share of games.

Come on, guys - let's keep the hits going tomorrow behind Buehrle and then let's go on a tear!

ShoelessJoeS
05-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Wait, what's this "win" thing again? :?:It's pretty cool actually.... when you score more than the opponent, you get a "win."

gobears1987
05-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Huge win. I didn't get to see it though as I was moving out of my dorm. I caught some highlights.

thomas35forever
05-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Good to hear. Let's see how many more games we can go without hitting a homer. It should win us a few games.

TDog
05-05-2007, 09:56 PM
True to form, it looks like the postgame victory thread will have less than half the posts of Friday night's postgame loss thread.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-05-2007, 10:03 PM
True to form, it looks like the postgame victory thread will have less than half the posts as Friday night's postgame loss thread.

The lunatic fringe is busy elsewhere... probably beating their dog.
:cool:

JB98
05-05-2007, 10:16 PM
True to form, it looks like the postgame victory thread will have less than half the posts as Friday night's postgame loss thread.

I'll add a frivolous post just to make you feel better.

Woo-hoo! We won! :cool:

GlassSox
05-05-2007, 10:22 PM
Great win. Good pitching, hits, some agressive action on the bases, good defense........Oh wow, we won.

DickAllen72
05-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Great pitching today by Garland and the bullpen. Good to see the offense contribute some.

We need to go on a major winning streak. Gotta win them one at a time...

Jurr
05-05-2007, 10:26 PM
Great pitching today by Garland and the bullpen. Good to see the offense contribute some.

We need to go on a major winning streak. Gotta win them one at a time...
...starting with a Sunday game. That would be a change.

DickAllen72
05-05-2007, 10:34 PM
...starting with a Sunday game. That would be a change.
Well, it actually will have started with a Saturday game.....but I get your point. :wink:

ChiSoxGirl
05-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Back to normal... a winning TBGR! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/../rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3358) :cool:

Brian26
05-05-2007, 10:58 PM

There are plenty of bandwagon Sox fans.

slobes
05-06-2007, 12:24 AM
Finally, some runs. With that everything else falls into form.

RadioheadRocks
05-06-2007, 12:28 AM

What this thread needs is some Dancing Bananas!!!

:supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana: :bandance: :supernana:

There, that's better!

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2007, 12:47 AM
So, this is "winning" eh? We got a tough one ahead of us tommorrow, let's go out there and take the series and then keep it rollin' against Minnesota!

Jurr
05-06-2007, 12:59 AM
So, this is "winning" eh? We got a tough one ahead of us tommorrow, let's go out there and take the series and then keep it rollin' against Minnesota!
Someone posted about going on a big winning streak. I'd be happy with a month long spell of "2 of 3" baseball. Just get those series wins, and the rest will take care of itself.

DickAllen72
05-06-2007, 01:05 AM
Someone posted about going on a big winning streak. I'd be happy with a month long spell of "2 of 3" baseball. Just get those series wins, and the rest will take care of itself.

Yeah, I like when the Sox win 2/3, but I like sweeps even better. And while I always like it when the Sox sweep, I hate when they go 2/3 after winning the first two.

MUsoxfan
05-06-2007, 01:11 AM
There are plenty of bandwagon Sox fans.

I know more than a few.

Great to get a win today while stringing some hits together. Let's hope it's a sign of good things to come

IlliniSox4Life
05-06-2007, 01:33 AM
True to form, it looks like the postgame victory thread will have less than half the posts of Friday night's postgame loss thread.

They're all over at Chicago Bulls Interactive posting.

JermaineDye05
05-06-2007, 04:23 AM
I really like Sweeney so far, he's been really good going to the opposite field. The double he ripped today was nice, he's also been hitting the ball pretty hard too a lot better seeing someone who doesn't strike out and ground out weakly all the time (BA). If Sweeney can keep it up that will be a pleasant surprise.

southside rocks
05-06-2007, 07:04 AM
I think Sweeney looks impressive especially for his age. He'll never set the league on fire with his batting average, but when I see him at the plate, I get what Ozzie is saying about having good at-bats. Even if the batter makes an out, hit the ball with some authority, and while up there, take some pitches! Pay attention to the baserunners, and pay attention to the fielders. Singleton speculated that Sweeney hit the ball to left for that double because he was trying to hit to Figgins, who is just back off the DL and was having some struggles out there at third late in the game. In any event, it worked.

For their ages, I find Sweeney (22) and John Danks (21) to be very impressive. Anyone catch Danks on the pre-game show on WSCR yesterday? Great attitude. Rongey asked if he's bothered by being 0-4 when he's pitched so well, and Danks said 'not really, I work at not getting upset about stuff I can't control, and besides, my dad always told me that stats are for losers. So I don't want him to think I'm a loser by letting that get to me.' He said that he's pleased with the way he's pitched so far and that he's working on getting more efficient, getting through each inning with fewer pitches 'because that's better for your offense, don't leave them standing on their heels out there for 15 - 20 pitches every inning.'

Whoever this kid is, it sounds like he really learned the game the right way. Good trade, KW.

oeo
05-06-2007, 09:07 AM
I think Sweeney looks impressive especially for his age. He'll never set the league on fire with his batting average, but when I see him at the plate, I get what Ozzie is saying about having good at-bats. Even if the batter makes an out, hit the ball with some authority, and while up there, take some pitches! Pay attention to the baserunners, and pay attention to the fielders. Singleton speculated that Sweeney hit the ball to left for that double because he was trying to hit to Figgins, who is just back off the DL and was having some struggles out there at third late in the game. In any event, it worked.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'set the league on fire', but Sweeney is definitely going to be a hitter.

Jerko
05-06-2007, 09:38 AM
I've ripped him the past few days, but good game for Cintron. 2 hits, a few good defensive plays, hangin tough after getting drilled with that pickoff throw, etc. Nice to see.

kevingrt
05-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Nice win. We just need to pile some together just to stay with the Injuns and Tiggers. I would not like to see both those teams get out to a 10 game lead or something and have to fight back come August and September. I don't think the Sox have the final kick that Street Sense had yesterday. I would much rather be in a stalking position rather then a deep closer.

Grzegorz
05-06-2007, 10:23 AM
I think Sweeney looks impressive especially for his age. He'll never set the league on fire with his batting average, but when I see him at the plate, I get what Ozzie is saying about having good at-bats.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'set the league on fire', but Sweeney is definitely going to be a hitter.

Yeah, I picked up on this statement too. Sweeney will be fine; and he'll hit for average too.

Another young hitter started out hitting the ball the other way until he developed his power; that was Carl Yastrzemski.

Hopefully, Mr. Sweeney can somewhat follow Yaz's career trajectory. :')

soxfanatlanta
05-06-2007, 10:30 AM
When I saw Sweeny last year in Charlotte, he reminded me of a young Shawn Green; a solid line drive hitter. On another note, perhaps the Sox hit rock bottom on Friday night, I hope they can build off this W.

MCHSoxFan
05-06-2007, 10:34 AM
*SOX WIN!* *SOX WIN!*

And This Losing Streak Is OVER!!!

Keep em coming boys!!!

southside rocks
05-06-2007, 10:59 AM

I meant that I don't expect him to be a lifetime .300 hitter or win any batting titles. I didn't mean that I think he won't hit.

puckereduppiet
05-06-2007, 11:06 AM
A win for Garland. :tongue:

hawkjt
05-06-2007, 12:57 PM
I also like that when sweeney is in left field, the opponents actually have to respect his arm...this kid totally looks the part.. what a huge boost it would be if he actually caught fire and became an x factor this year for the sox...

but realistically, he will struggle to hit for average at this point.. his swing looks a little long right now.. but he can be a good one someday.. hopefull soon...

the sox need to bust colons cherry today , he has been untouchable, but the sox at least know him and have had some success against him in the past...

get this game and go to minny with momentum...go sox..