PDA

View Full Version : Erstad's blooper

thechico
05-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Was it excusable? Was I the only one who, upon seeing it happen, think it was going to make the highlight (or lowlight) reel. I saw it and thought "we sent BA to AAA for this?" :(:

Nellie_Fox
05-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Was it excusable? Was I the only one who, upon seeing it happen, think it was going to make the highlight (or lowlight) reel. I saw it and thought "we sent BA to AAA for this?" :(:Anybody can lose a ball in the twilight sky.

cbotnyse
05-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Allow me.......

BA would have had it. :)

fire Ozzie, fire Walker, fire Hawk.

TDog
05-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Was it excusable? Was I the only one who, upon seeing it happen, think it was going to make the highlight (or lowlight) reel. I saw it and thought "we sent BA to AAA for this?" :(:

Torii Hunter has lost at least one routine fly ball in the ceiling of the Metrodome. It's a freak thing, but stuff happens. Anderson may have had it, but he may not have been playing the hitter in the same place, from which the ball wouldn't have disappeared. There are people who believe the White Sox wouldn't have won the World Series but for a fly ball lost in the Indians outfield.

CLR01
05-05-2007, 03:00 PM

Of course it is excusable. We don't dare question the play of the great Optimus Grind. As ugly as that play was and even though he didn't even make an effort to go retrieve the ball, the play still had a grind factor of +6. AFAIK, a +6 is on the low end of outstanding.

Now excuse me while I go and complain about Anderson slacking on a play and allowing a runner to get to second.

Nellie_Fox
05-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Are you really going to compare losing a ball in the air to loafing a single into a double? Only one of those is a choice.

CLR01
05-05-2007, 03:11 PM
No I am going to compare him watching it lie on the ground behind him to loafing on a single. He's a grinder who plays the game the right way and always hustles....

Nellie_Fox
05-05-2007, 03:29 PM
No I am going to compare him watching it lie on the ground behind him to loafing on a single. He's a grinder who plays the game the right way and always hustles....When he turned and looked at it, there was already somebody else much closer to the ball than he was. He'd have just gotten in the way if he'd run back there.

JB98
05-05-2007, 03:51 PM
:threadsucks

DickAllen72
05-05-2007, 05:37 PM
It happens. No big deal.

Patrick134
05-05-2007, 05:41 PM

Nah it's not highlight material, a few of these happen every week around the league. It's not destined for the same fame as the homer that bounced off of Canseco's head. And it was never a wavering choice between erstad and BAAA. Erstad is a pro.

Jurr
05-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Let's think before we start threads. Every outfielder in the majors has lost a ball before. Period.

Anderson is in the minors because he can't hit. Meanwhile, Erstad has another good game offensively, which is the key difference between him and Brian.

Railsplitter
05-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Two guys, one on each team, had problems with fly balls.

jabrch
05-05-2007, 07:07 PM
The desperation some people on this board have to bash a Sox player absolutely never ceases to amaze me.

itsnotrequired
05-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Erstad dropped the ball on purpose to fire up the team. Get ready for 10 wins in a row.

:gulp::bandance:

Foulke You
05-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Let's think before we start threads. Every outfielder in the majors has lost a ball before. Period.

Anderson is in the minors because he can't hit. Meanwhile, Erstad has another good game offensively, which is the key difference between him and Brian.
That about sums it up. I'm willing to bet that was Erstad's one ball to lose in the lights this year. It was a freak thing and it didn't really matter in the scheme of things because the Sox only put 1 run on the board.

ilsox7
05-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Let's think before we start threads.

By the looks of things around here, most do not take this wise advice.

kruzer31
05-05-2007, 10:17 PM
That about sums it up. I'm willing to bet that was Erstad's one ball to lose in the lights this year. It was a freak thing and it didn't really matter in the scheme of things because the Sox only put 1 run on the board.

He did not lose the ball in the lights. He lost it in the sky. If anyone here ever played baseball in high school or college they know that right after the sun goes down the sky is in the twi-night stage , which is almost the same color as the ball. If you lose the ball , you will not see it again till it is about ten feet from you, and hopefully you are not under it because its going to hit you right in the head. And no, not even the bum Brian Anderson would have caught that ball. It just happens.

Jeff

ilsox7
05-05-2007, 10:21 PM
He did not lose the ball in the lights. He lost it in the sky. If anyone here ever played baseball in high school or college they know that right after the sun goes down the sky is in the twi-night stage , which is almost the same color as the ball. If you lose the ball , you will not see it again till it is about ten feet from you, and hopefully you are not under it because its going to hit you right in the head. And no, not even the bum Brian Anderson would have caught that ball. It just happens.

Jeff

Is it really necessary to refer to Sox players as bums?

JB98
05-05-2007, 10:39 PM

Brian Anderson plays for the Knights now. :cool:

itsnotrequired
05-05-2007, 10:39 PM

"Hobo" is too broad a term.

CubKilla
05-05-2007, 11:00 PM
The desperation some people on this board have to bash a Sox player absolutely never ceases to amaze me.

All because the guy that was sent down in his place couldn't hit a beachball if it was thrown on the inside corner w/o bailing out.

Anderson is gone. Let's get used to it. Cheer on Erstad Anderson lovers or find another team to cheer for :rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2007, 12:38 AM
Let's not let this make people take sides between Anderson and Erstad, hoping one succeeds and the other fails. Personally, I hope Anderson straightens out whatever his problem is, be it mental, mechanical, or attitudinal, and is able to come back and help the Sox in a stretch drive.

DickAllen72
05-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Let's not let this make people take sides between Anderson and Erstad, hoping one succeeds and the other fails. Personally, I hope Anderson straightens out whatever his problem is, be it mental, mechanical, or attitudinal, and is able to come back and help the Sox in a stretch drive.
Same here. I hope Anderson becomes the next Mickey Mantle and helps the White Sox win numerous championships. I also hope Erstad wins "Comeback Player of The Year" in 2007 and is wearing a World Series ring at this time next year. :cheers:

TDog
05-06-2007, 02:09 AM
Same here. I hope Anderson becomes the next Mickey Mantle and helps the White Sox win numerous championships. ...

I hoped the same thing for Michael Jordan. I'm still disappointed his baseball career didn't work out.

FarWestChicago
05-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Was it excusable? Was I the only one who, upon seeing it happen, think it was going to make the highlight (or lowlight) reel. I saw it and thought "we sent BA to AAA for this?" :(:You know what? **** you. I'm sick of you REH's pulling for a Sox player to suck so your beloved BA can play. Take a ****ing month to think about it *******. We are Sox fans here.

oeo
05-06-2007, 09:10 AM
You know what? **** you. I'm sick of you REH's pulling for a Sox player to suck so your beloved BA can play. Take a ****ing month to think about it *******. We are Sox fans here.

It's amazing that people are whining about Erstad when he's been our only bright spot in the offense since Pods and Thome went down. Without Erstad's big hits late in games, we'd probably have about two less losses. Not to mention, he's played great centerfield...losing the ball once and people want him benched?

jabrch
05-06-2007, 10:17 AM
You know what? **** you. I'm sick of you REH's pulling for a Sox player to suck so your beloved BA can play. Take a ****ing month to think about it *******. We are Sox fans here.

Bravo West! Bravo!

RowanDye
05-06-2007, 10:42 AM

As you correctly point out West, this thread is ignorant. That play had nothing to do with Anderson, and rooting against a Sox player is pathetic.

However, I think posts like these are just as pathetic:

Jeff

All because the guy that was sent down in his place couldn't hit a beachball if it was thrown on the inside corner w/o bailing out.

Anderson is gone. Let's get used to it. Cheer on Erstad Anderson lovers or find another team to cheer for :rolleyes:

Anderson is still a very young player. He has yet to prove himself as a major league hitter. Saying that he is a bum or that he can't hit anything is just as ridiculous as rooting against Erstad!

So far, Anderson seems to be hitting now that he is gettings ABs down in AAA. By any measure, his career is still too early to call. If you don't like Anderson, just ignore the BA supporters and focus on the players that actually matter!

CLR01
05-06-2007, 12:07 PM

Jeff

You get to join thechico.

:yoohoo:

shoelessshaun27!
05-06-2007, 02:12 PM
:(:

23Ventura
05-06-2007, 02:41 PM

It's easier to just agree with everyone. That way you won't get banned.

Jeff

That was a vicious personal attack on Brian Anderson, no need call him a bum. Personal attacks are forbidden unless you're calling thechico an *******.

CLR01
05-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Without Erstad's big hits late in games, we'd probably have about two less losses.

Why do you hate Ersty? :(:

ILuvThatDuck
05-06-2007, 02:58 PM

The real question is, "Would Rowand have caught that ball?":redneck

CLR01
05-06-2007, 03:01 PM
The real question is, "Would Rowand have caught that ball?":redneck

I think we all know that ball would have changed directions and traveled to Dye if it had to deal with the possibility of getting a beating down from Rowand.

RKMeibalane
05-06-2007, 05:59 PM

Agreed. Anderson will be back when he can do something besides striking out.