PDA

View Full Version : Game thread radio a smash in Boston

Fenway
05-05-2007, 09:18 AM
Boston's WEEI ( owned by Entercom ) took a gamble with Red Sox radio for 2007 and after a month it is paying off bigtime for the station.

Entercom moved the Red Sox to WRKO and on WEEI they offer "Game Thread Radio" with the host and callers debating the game in real time. They run the commercials at the same time as the game.

The thought was people at home watching TV might tune into the "game thread"

It is working out much better than anyone thought and don't be surprised to see this happen in other cities next season.

HotelWhiteSox
05-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Hmm, that's kind of off the wall, do they do this for every game? Do they stream it? I'd be interested to hear how it goes, probably people jumping off the ledge and swearing off the team while the team isn't winning

Fenway
05-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Hmm, that's kind of off the wall, do they do this for every game? Do they stream it? I'd be interested to hear how it goes, probably people jumping off the ledge and swearing off the team while the team isn't winning

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Fridays ( and weekend day games )

for reasons only Entercom knows Wednesday night games stay on WEEI.....

on line http://webclust1.liquidcompass.cc/sos4cust/entercom/audio_player.php?id=WEEI

got a little testy when Papelbon blew a safe Tuesday night and again when Dice-K couldn't find the plate. Most part however Red Sox fans have nothing to complain about...............so far

Vernam
05-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Sounds like fun, but I wouldn't wish it on poor Chris Rongey! He has to deal with so many doofuses by phone, making him do it on-line could put the guy into therapy. :redneck

Vernam

chaerulez
05-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Sounds like fun, but I wouldn't wish it on poor Chris Rongey! He has to deal with so many doofuses by phone, making him do it on-line could put the guy into therapy. :redneck

Vernam

Rongey has a lot of composure for his job. One time I heard a caller talk about how much he loves Pods but admitted that he didn't "think he would make it to the hall of fame". If you mention hall of fame and Scott Podsednik in the same breath you are an idiot.

Fenway
05-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Entercom is doing this to try and get as much bang for their buck as they can. Entercom signed 10-year deal thru 2016 season worth about $13-$14M annually for exclusive radio broadcast rights for Red Sox games in June 2006. The broadcasts will mostly appear on WRKO Radio 680 AM with a limited series of special games also broadcast on WEEI 850 AM. The Red Sox also have an option (but not an obligation) down the road to acquire a minority interest in WRKO.

HotelWhiteSox
05-05-2007, 04:41 PM
I would reccomend White Sox postgame to anyone thinking about suicide. No way your life can be worse than some of the miserable ****s that call in, some of these guys must be putting on some act, the stupid stuff that comes out of their mouth

jabrch
05-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Oooo Yay!!!

More Red Sox threads!

Try this...

www.redsoxinteractive.com

itsnotrequired
05-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Oooo Yay!!!

More Red Sox threads!

Try this...

www.redsoxinteractive.com (http://www.redsoxinteractive.com)

Talking Baseball forum. What's the problem?

McCuddy
05-05-2007, 08:26 PM
I would reccomend White Sox postgame to anyone thinking about suicide. No way your life can be worse than some of the miserable ****s that call in, some of these guys must be putting on some act, the stupid stuff that comes out of their mouth

Unfortunately, they're probably not acting. Some of what you get on the request lines that DOESN'T make the air is remarkably frightening.

Vernam
05-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Rongey has a lot of composure for his job. One time I heard a caller talk about how much he loves Pods but admitted that he didn't "think he would make it to the hall of fame". If you mention hall of fame and Scott Podsednik in the same breath you are an idiot.My favorite caller this season was last Sunday, a guy who was pissed that Jermaine was batting fifth instead of fourth or third. (AJ batted fourth that day against a RHP, Escobar.) Rongey asked the guy where AJ should've batted. The caller said second. :rolling:

Vernam