PDA

View Full Version : Super Mega Teeth Gnashing Hand Wringing Fire Sale Thread

RLipp
05-04-2007, 09:32 PM
I am thinking if the sox lose this week they will be in a world of hurt!At worse case they could be out of 1st by 8 games.When do you think kenny will say enough is enough.Will he wait till they are 10 games out to start his fire sale of upcomming free agents (you know who they are)! They way they are going with no hitting they will start there sale by Allstar weekend if not before!!I love my sox but i dont think we will see crede or dye after allstar weekend.I will hate to see them go.We will have a bunch of young kids again.By the way they wasted there money on pods they should of never have brought him back.:angry:

QCIASOXFAN
05-04-2007, 09:33 PM
:o: :mg: :thud: :thud:

FireMariotti
05-04-2007, 09:35 PM
:threadsucks

If they haven't improved by June, then maybe we can start talking about this.

Viva Medias B's
05-04-2007, 09:56 PM
:chickenlittle

FarWestChicago
05-04-2007, 10:08 PM
I don't know, but "there fire sale" isn't actually English. Can you please share what you were trying to communicate but didn't have the brain power to execute?

ondafarm
05-04-2007, 10:08 PM
When their grammar improves.

MDF3530
05-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Don't you hate it when people intentionally use the wrong grammar?

MDF3530
05-04-2007, 10:10 PM
When their grammar improves.Damn, you beat me to it :redneck .

MySoxAreClean
05-04-2007, 10:24 PM
All I know is that I can't wait for those jumpers to jump so I can have the park all to my self, No lines in the restroom, My own beer guy. Hmmm Beer.

Frontman
05-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Wow. Just.....wow.

The Sox lose four games and we talk about gutting the team.

Erm, ok.

And if they make the playoffs this season, can someone "necro-thread" this thread and bring it back up?

:D:

I'm not worried, nor will I be.

oeo
05-04-2007, 10:40 PM
I am thinking if the sox lose this week they will be in a world of hurt!At worse case they could be out of 1st by 8 games.When do you think kenny will say enough is enough.Will he wait till they are 10 games out to start his fire sale of upcomming free agents (you know who they are)! They way they are going with no hitting they will start there sale by Allstar weekend if not before!!I love my sox but i dont think we will see crede or dye after allstar weekend.I will hate to see them go.We will have a bunch of young kids again.By the way they wasted there money on pods they should of never have brought him back.:angry:

I've felt since the beginning of the season that 93 wins will get us in the playoffs. Being 5 games back in early May does not change that fact. They're not going to bat .220 all year, and if they keep pitching, they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Brian1978
05-04-2007, 10:42 PM
I know things dont look good at all right now. However, there is so much time left. Just stop and think about how long in time it is until the beginning of October.

The lack of scoring runs is scary, and they cannot get too buried in the pack.

UserNameBlank
05-04-2007, 10:47 PM
There will not be a firesale.

JD, Mark, and Tadahito aren't going to fetch us much as rentals. Trading them would get us a few reclamation projects and mediocre low-ceiling prospects at the deadline, and we aren't going to build a young competitive team by stocking up on more Lance Broadways. I'd rather keep these guys and not piss them off by trading them, which would pretty much remove any chances of them re-signing with us.

Crede is off to a slow start. GM's will look at his back issues, impending FA after '08, and career numbers as a whole and see a mediocre offensive third baseman with health issues coming off of a career year and due a pay raise. We're not going to get a whole lot for him right now, unless KW somehow swindles a ****ty GM. Besides, Fields isn't exactly looking like money right now. Dealing Crede could really screw us over. It would be better to hope he turns things around and try to deal him in the offseason. If he comes back to post numbers like '06 and doesn't spend any time on the DL with a back injury, he could be worth something good.

Thome is signed through '08 but has spent a lot of time since '05 dealing with injuries. His value isn't going to be the same as it was when we acquired him, and last time he was traded he only would accept a trade to a Chicago team or Cleveland. Not the easiest player to move right now, and again, would what we could get even be worth it?

Pods would be available if we fall out, but what could we get for him? A low level minor leaguer without much potential? If the Sox dump him it will only be because they want to give someone else a chance and they don't need Pods on the roster. Ditto for Erstad, although Darin could be worth a little more. Still, no team is going to give up a major piece for him. Maybe if he has a good season we could get a nice pen arm for him or something.

The guys on this team with the highest trade value right now are the ones we can't give up: Konerko, Jenks, MacDougal, Danks, etc. Garland or Contreras could get us something worthwhile but we'd probably then be forced into rushing Gio or someone else.

jabrch
05-04-2007, 11:01 PM
There will not be a firesale.

JD, Mark, and Tadahito aren't going to fetch us much as rentals.

That's absurd. It's not even worth reading the rest of your post.

itsnotrequired
05-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Welcome to the jungle, baby!

Tragg
05-04-2007, 11:06 PM
The team needs an influx of young offensive talent.
To get that, we'll have to trade pitching.
I think we will - when (midseason or after the season), or what kind (established or young) is undetermined.
We wont' do a fire sale and even if we did, it would be if and when we are out of it, which isn't now.

JB98
05-04-2007, 11:21 PM
If we were sub.-500 in July, this would be a relevant question. It is only May 4.

lostfan
05-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Agreed, this is a pretty Jay Mariotti-esque topic.

UserNameBlank
05-04-2007, 11:26 PM
That's absurd. It's not even worth reading the rest of your post.
What do you think they're worth then?

Last year the biggest names traded were Carlos Lee, Bobby Abreu, and Greg Maddux. Abreu was a salary dump, Lee and Cruz brought Mench-Cordero-Nix, and Maddux brought Cesar Izturis. The biggest trade was the Reds brainfart where they sent Kearns and Lopez to the Nats for a reliever and some garbage in Majewski and Royce Clayton. Kenny's only hope in getting serious value would be by ripping someone off like the Nats did.

There weren't any notable trades in 2005. The biggest names were guys like Joe Randa, Preston Wilson, Jody Gerut, Kyle Farnsworth, etc. Farnsworth, a reliever, brought Zach Miner who was probably the most notable prospect traded.

In 2004, Carlos Beltran, Freddy Garcia, and Jose Contreras were the biggest names traded. The bounty? Mark Teahen, John Buck, Jeremy Reed, Michael Morse, Miguel Olivo, and Esteban Loaiza. So the Royals were essentially the only team who really got anything valuable, and what they got was certainly nowhere near Beltran's value. The Mets had a brainfart again and traded Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano, but that is a trade that 29 other teams wouldn't have made. The Mets were just that stupid.

Can't you see a pattern here? The Sox could dump Iguchi, Dye, and Buehrle and the odds are that the Sox aren't going to get anywhere near full value. Out of the last three years of deadline deals, the only prospects that came from a major deal that have done anything noteworthy are Kazmir and Teahen. Contrary to popular belief, you can't rebuild a team out of deadline deals unless you are deadling valuable players who have more than a couple of months left on their contracts.

ChicagoG19
05-04-2007, 11:31 PM
I think KW needs to pick up a hitter before this thing really gets out of hand. Better to be proactive rather than reactive.

itsnotrequired
05-04-2007, 11:32 PM
I think KW needs to pick up a hitter before this thing really gets out of hand. Better to be proactive rather than reactive.

To pickup a hitter now would be reactive, not proactive.

BanditJimmy
05-04-2007, 11:33 PM

There is nothing wrong with this team. Just tip your hat to the opposing pitcher.

CHISOXFAN13
05-04-2007, 11:34 PM

Who the hell is he going to pick up? It's May 4 and teams aren't dumping players yet. Unless you want to make a cute move like Billy Beane has done the last four days.

ilsox7
05-04-2007, 11:34 PM
I'd rather see him flip over a buffet table.

briguy27
05-04-2007, 11:35 PM
There is nothing wrong with this team. Just tip your hat to the opposing pitcher.

yea guys, the pitchers have been AWESOME for the last 5 games. lets tip our caps *sarcasm*

we gotta make a trade. but everyone is technically "still in it". its only early may, whos gonna make a trade now?

whitesoxfan
05-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Who the hell is he going to pick up? It's May 4 and teams aren't dumping players yet. Unless you want to make a cute move like Billy Beane has done the last four days.

Jacque Jones is about it.

ChicagoG19
05-04-2007, 11:37 PM
I just hat watching this brutal offense right now. It seems like they only score like one run a game.

Tragg
05-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Jacque Jones is about it.

Exactly.
So we need to suffer through this and hope we wake up and, if we don't, see what we can extrort in July. Kenny's stockpiling of pitching this offseason will pay off (I think).

ChicagoG19
05-04-2007, 11:39 PM
yea guys, the pitchers have been AWESOME for the last 5 games. lets tip our caps *sarcasm*

we gotta make a trade. but everyone is technically "still in it". its only early may, whos gonna make a trade now?
Somebody will make a trade. If we have something they need and they have something we need. Its never too early for a trade. I just don't want to be like 10 games under at the all-star break saying we should have made a trade.

briguy27
05-04-2007, 11:39 PM
from april 19-23, we scored, we scored 5 or more runs in each game, winning 4 of those 5. *** happened

whitem0nkey
05-04-2007, 11:40 PM
I webeb you, that means you got pick up by the sox.

ondafarm
05-04-2007, 11:42 PM
I just hat watching this brutal offense right now. It seems like they only score like one run a game.

I actually thought this was a little better, the guys didn't seem to be swinging for the fences and six different guys got hits. That nothing timely (apart from Dye's double) tells me everyone was pressing. For me, I had to go up there with a non-caring attitude, game on the line doesn't matter, I had to put it out of my mind. When the guys actually did that tonight they hit; when they pressed they fell apart. The slump will be over soon.

Nellie_Fox
05-04-2007, 11:42 PM
I webeb you, that means you got pick up by the sox.
:?::?:???

Brian26
05-04-2007, 11:43 PM

Exactly. Being three months from the trading deadline, there's probably not a whole lot available out there anyway.

itsnotrequired
05-04-2007, 11:44 PM

I too blame the hats. Maybe they need to start wearing those deep sea diving helemets. Smokes optional.

whitem0nkey
05-04-2007, 11:45 PM
:?::?:???

a2FyH9pGup4

Brian26
05-04-2007, 11:45 PM
First caller to Rongey is on the ledge.

QCIASOXFAN
05-04-2007, 11:46 PM
First caller to Rongey is on the ledge.
I'm listening now also. Can't wait to here the next 10 or 15!:smile:

DickAllen72
05-04-2007, 11:47 PM
I hope he will but I doubt he could right now.

Nellie_Fox
I am thinking if the sox lose this week they will be in a world of hurt!At worse case they could be out of 1st by 8 games.When do you think kenny will say enough is enough.Will he wait till they are 10 games out to start his fire sale of upcomming free agents (you know who they are)! They way they are going with no hitting they will start there sale by Allstar weekend if not before!!I love my sox but i dont think we will see crede or dye after allstar weekend.I will hate to see them go.We will have a bunch of young kids again.By the way they wasted there money on pods they should of never have brought him back.:angry:I think my head might explode.

BanditJimmy

We have tipped our hat so often this year it's almost like we are not wearing one.

itsnotrequired
05-04-2007, 11:48 PM
a2FyH9pGup4

"Yeah, that's a dog..."

ondafarm
05-04-2007, 11:48 PM
I think my head might explode.

You beat me to it.

itsnotrequired
05-04-2007, 11:50 PM

The key is the anti-Cub logo in the original post.

:rolleyes:

whitem0nkey
05-04-2007, 11:50 PM
funny how most people were worried about the pitching before the season started and now it looks like we should have been worried about the offence.

its been said before, but we are to good on offence to keep this up, it will turn around.

And if does not we have to wait until some teams are out of it.

Tragg
05-04-2007, 11:58 PM
What do you think they're worth then?

We'd get a top prospect for MB if he's having a good year (which I hope we don't do, because we need to re-sign him).
I think we could get something for these middle relievers.

If we can't, don't make a trade.
I know we can make a good trade after the season; we'll have to as we're going to lose some FAs.

The Dude
05-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Welcome to the jungle, baby!

We've got fun and games..... well maybe not good games.:o:

The Dude
05-05-2007, 12:04 AM

Well if you remember back when you began posting, there were numerous anti-cub postings from ol' INR. :tongue:

itsnotrequired
05-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Well if you remember back when you began posting, there were numerous anti-cub postings from ol' INR. :tongue:

Find three of my posts with the anti-Cub icon in the post.

...and begin!

UserNameBlank
05-05-2007, 12:08 AM
We'd get a top prospect for MB if he's having a good year (which I hope we don't do, because we need to re-sign him).
I think we could get something for these middle relievers.

If we can't, don't make a trade.
I know we can make a good trade after the season; we'll have to as we're going to lose some FAs.
If Mark keeps his ERA in the 3's maybe, but I'm with you and I don't want to deal him. Hopefully he re-signs because it would be great to have someone along with Javy anchoring our future rotation. I don't think Contreras or Garland are going to be sticking around, especially if Mark re-signs.

Our relievers, especially Jenks, Thornton, and MacDougal, would have a ton of value but I'd really be shocked if we dealt one of those guys. Then again, KW's greatest strong point seems to be finding cheap arms via Rule-5, scrap heap, failed starters, etc. and turning them into lights out relievers. Aardsma and Sisco could be on that path, as was Jenks, Thornton, Marte, Politte, etc. before them.

I'd hate to deal Jenks because he has such an awesome repertoire for a closer, but if a deal came up similar to the LaRoche-Gonzalez deal, I think we'd have to pull the trigger. Cheap, young position players with allstar potential who produce right away are just way, way more valuable than relievers.

lumpyspun
05-05-2007, 12:22 AM
The Sox will only start the fire sale if the Royals pass us in the standings past June. Then we will start trading with the Royals, and possibly the Mariners.

DumpJerry
05-05-2007, 12:25 AM
I don't know, but "there fire sale" isn't actually English. Can you please share what you were trying to communicate but didn't have the brain power to execute?

When their grammar improves.

Don't you hate it when people intentionally use the wrong grammar?
I could not take it anymore! I had to change it. Normally I let these things pass, but this was just way too much out there.

thomas35forever
05-05-2007, 12:25 AM
What is this? I won't be ready for a fire sale until the Sox are the first team in the majors to lose 80 games.

DumpJerry
05-05-2007, 12:27 AM

Sorry, but I had to deep-six it with the wonderful use of the English language. This thread has nothing to do with the Cubs. I was going crazy.....

JB98
05-05-2007, 12:34 AM
Sorry, but I had to deep-six it with the wonderful use of the English language. This thread has nothing to do with the Cubs. I was going crazy.....

I don't think too many would have objected if you had just roadhoused this piece of ****.

DumpJerry
05-05-2007, 12:51 AM
I don't think too many would have objected if you had just roadhoused this piece of ****.
Come on, everyoe is entitled to express his or her opinion.:rolleyes:

SoxandtheCityTee
05-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Is there a formula whereby the number of recent Cubs wins and Sox losses can be used to predict the number of new Sox fans that show up to start threads expressing their concerns and suggestions ?

:dtroll:

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2007, 07:01 AM
everyoe

Pot, meet kettle!

:rolling:

Frater Perdurabo
05-05-2007, 07:13 AM
I do not think a fire sale is in order. I think the Sox need to add a bat. They don't need a power hitter. Rather, they need a good OBP guy: Someone who hits for a decent average and/or takes a lot of walks. If he also has power, that's a plus, but then we're looking at prohibitive costs.

Of course the deeppink fantasy is Ichiro, but I'd be pleased with a player like Ryan Church (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=425508) or Matt Holliday (http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=407812). Church and Holliday wouldn't come cheap, since they are young, but both the Nats and the Rockies will be looking to add pitching, and the Sox seem to have plenty of young pitching prospects to share.

WSox597
05-05-2007, 07:24 AM
A fire sale is premature to say the least. These guys will start hitting; they're proven commodities. I can't explain the current funk, but I believe it to be temporary.

Most of us were worried about the pitching, and that seems to be working out well for the most part. The saying goes "pitching wins championships".

I'm a bit surprised that so many posters to the board want to throw Greg Walker under the bus. Not on this thread, but quite a few others. Even our pitiful excuses for newspapers in Chicago are defending Walker. Greg Walker was good enough to be the hitting coach in '05, and he's more than good enough now.

My guess is, in a couple of weeks, we'll forget all about threads like this one. My biggest worrry is that the pitching holds up, and doesn't fade when the offense heats up.

Lukin13
05-05-2007, 07:31 AM
I do not think a fire sale is in order. I think the Sox need to add a bat. They don't need a power hitter. Rather, they need a good OBP guy: Someone who hits for a decent average and/or takes a lot of walks. If he also has power, that's a plus, but then we're looking at prohibitive costs.

Of course the deeppink fantasy is Ichiro, but I'd be pleased with a player like Ryan Church (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=425508) or Matt Holliday (http://colorado.rockies.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=407812). Church and Holliday wouldn't come cheap, since they are young, but both the Nats and the Rockies will be looking to add pitching, and the Sox seem to have plenty of young pitching prospects to share.

Holiday is about as unavailable as anyone in baseball.

PaleHoseGeorge
05-05-2007, 09:02 AM
Great... I stopped listening to sportsblab radio for all the idiots they put on the air, so now the idiots have followed me to WSI.

sigh...

:(:

itsnotrequired
05-05-2007, 09:06 AM
Great... I stopped listening to sportsblab radio for all the idiots they put on the air, so now the idiots have followed me to WSI.

sigh...

Hey, that reminds me!

*tunes into White Sox Weekly*

MarySwiss
05-05-2007, 09:11 AM
Apparently some people here have forgotten about an occasion a couple of years ago when a certain team had a seemingly insurmountable lead late in the season and damn near got caught by a team that heated up and played out of their minds.

I for one am looking forward to watching us heat up, which we will. And as others have said, there's no way we're out of it in May.

kitekrazy
05-05-2007, 09:18 AM

Then he'll probably join in on the team slump. Surely the White Sox are not the only team in baseball history to go in a team slump.

Any historians out there to verify?

SoxandtheCityTee
05-05-2007, 10:38 AM

sigh...

And about 20 minutes ago, Chet Coppock just asked Bruce Levine about a possible Sox "firesale" on their "Talking Baseball" show. Levine said no.

IlliniSox4Life
05-05-2007, 10:49 AM
buy High!! Sell Low!!!

Dan Mega
05-05-2007, 10:56 AM
And about 20 minutes ago, Chet Coppock just asked Bruce Levine about a possible Sox "firesale" on their "Talking Baseball" show. Levine said no.

Even Bruce Levine knows better at this point regarding any firesale speak.

I sure hope this is just our bad slump of the season and things heat up quick. This team has the talent to be the best team in the majors. Guys won't hit .220 forever.

Rowandws33
05-05-2007, 11:01 AM
The White Sox (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/36) can win more, but not enough against their division. They'll begin selling off players around the All-Star break. Meanwhile, Mark Buehrle (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/3477), Joe Crede (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/3450), Jon Garland (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/3441) and Jermaine Dye (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/3216) will be free agents soon. Will the Sox pay new-market dollars to keep them? That doesn't appear to be the plan...cnnsi.com

With the increased attendace since 05 the Sox should have more than enough to get back these players.. Correct me if iam wrong but KW said if the fans pack this place the money will go right back to the team...It sure does not seem that way..

itsnotrequired
05-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Thius important topic deserves a second thread.

whitesoxwilkes
05-05-2007, 11:06 AM
I am moving this **** where it belongs.

RLipp
05-05-2007, 11:15 AM
The White Sox (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/36) can win more, but not enough against their division. They'll begin selling off players around the All-Star break. Meanwhile, Mark Buehrle (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/3477), Joe Crede (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/3450), Jon Garland (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/3441) and Jermaine Dye (http://www.fannation.com/tags/show_tag/3216) will be free agents soon. Will the Sox pay new-market dollars to keep them? That doesn't appear to be the plan...cnnsi.com

With the increased attendace since 05 the Sox should have more than enough to get back these players.. Correct me if iam wrong but KW said if the fans pack this place the money will go right back to the team...It sure does not seem that way..
You hit the nail on the head!

hose
05-05-2007, 11:21 AM

sigh...

I'm sportsblab free also:cool:

WhiteSox5187
05-05-2007, 12:25 PM
Well...if the Sox are playing this way in July yea, there will be a fire sale. Having said that though we're only five games into May. As I've said before, I'm not jumping off ship but I'm taking note where the emergency exits are.

People keep making the suggestion between the '07 White Sox and the '05 Indians, well, I don't like that comparison because the Indians didn't make the playoffs...a better comparison might be between the '07 Sox and the '83 Sox, remember, we were a mediocre team that first half of the year and then went crazy in the second half. Havings aid that we need to start winning games soon though, it's impossible to win a pennant in May but it is very possible to lose one.

IndianWhiteSox
05-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Apparently some people here have forgotten about an occasion a couple of years ago when a certain team had a seemingly insurmountable lead late in the season and damn near got caught by a team that heated up and played out of their minds.

I for one am looking forward to watching us heat up, which we will. And as others have said, there's no way we're out of it in May.

Then that means we fall apart in September and I really wouldn't want that to happen. It would be nice if they would get it going the way the '83 Sox did. At least that team won the ****ing division.

MarySwiss
05-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Then that means we fall apart in September and I really wouldn't want that to happen. It would be nice if they would get it going the way the '83 Sox did. At least that team won the ****ing division.

Where did I say that? :?:

My point is that a team can get hot at anytime. That's why they play the games. And remember, we were something like 17-7 last April and missed the playoffs. NOTHING gets settled before the All-Star break--or even after it--and it certainly doesn't get settled the first week of May.

WhiteSox5187
05-05-2007, 02:00 PM

My point is that a team can get hot at anytime. That's why they play the games. And remember, we were something like 17-7 last April and missed the playoffs. NOTHING gets settled before the All-Star break--or even after it--and it certainly doesn't get settled the first week of May.
Well...by the end of May you usually have an idea of who the pretenders are and who the contenders are. I have said it before and I will say it again, it is quite possible to fall out of playoff contention by the end of May. But I don't think that will happen with the Sox. Or at least I hope not.

Navarro's Talent
05-05-2007, 02:09 PM

I can definitely see this team go on a run like Cleveland did in '05. The talent is most definitely there, that's for sure. The pitching has exceeded my expectations so far, and I'm pretty confident that they can keep up the good work. Outside of a few different players, the line-up has stayed the same for a few years now, so we know what to expect from them. Obviously, things haven't been going well, but they're professional hitters; they'll turn it around.

Vestigio
05-05-2007, 02:20 PM

Hopefully this season's Sox are like last season's Twins. Despite their pitching, their bats were cold early in the season, and were in 4th for a little while.

TDog
05-05-2007, 02:32 PM
WSI is such a wonderful place to visit when the Sox are losing, or even when they're "winning ugly."

Last year the Twins seemed dead until late in the season, and they won the division. The year before that the Astros seemed dead until late in the season, and two weeks before the season was over, most p.people seemed to believe the early-in-the-season-dead Indians were going to beat out the White Sox.

That doesn't mean the White Sox will storm back this year, but they did storm back in 1983. It's not easy to get to the World Series, especially in this century. But the Indians aren't nearly as good as a lot of people believe they are. Their pitching is more than a little suspect, and they are relying on Joe Borowski as their closer. The Tigers' bullpen isn't nearly as strong as it was last year, and the Twins starting rotation is the weakest its been in years. Already, the Twins have lost a bunch of games to Tampa Bay and Kansas City. If The Indians were wearing White Sox uniforms and got off to this start, everyone would be talking about this division being up for grabs.

I don't like losing either, but I don't see the White Sox getting anywhere if they tear things apart and start over.

Flight #24
05-05-2007, 03:30 PM
I can definitely see this team go on a run like Cleveland did in '05. The talent is most definitely there, that's for sure. The pitching has exceeded my expectations so far, and I'm pretty confident that they can keep up the good work. Outside of a few different players, the line-up has stayed the same for a few years now, so we know what to expect from them. Obviously, things haven't been going well, but they're professional hitters; they'll turn it around.

This is my concern. They're only 5 games out, but the way they're playing and the way the Tribe is playing, it needs to turn around FAST or it'll be 8-10 quick.

Now it's early enough that even that type of lead isn't insurmountable, but the '05 Tribe is a great example: an early crap streak gave them a sizable deficit, one that required a perfect stretch run to overcome. The Tribe had a truly remarkable 2d half in '05, but because they were just near-perfect rather than perfect, they weren't able to make the postseason.

You can't win a division in April/May, but you sure can lose one. I don't expect them to be playing this poorly all year, but they'd better turn it around or they might as well.

IndianWhiteSox
05-05-2007, 07:20 PM

I know you didn't say that, but when you implied the '05 season and the ALC pennant race that year, that's what popped into my head. But I get your point.

WSox597
05-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Does anyone think the Indian's pitching will hold up? Unlikely, I would think. Other than Sabathia they don't have the pitching to compete over the long haul.

Relying on Borowski? Please, no.

The Tribe's offense, on the other hand is very good. That can carry them for a while. I just don't think the pitching will hold up. Of course, I've been wrong before. :D:

JB98
05-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Does anyone think the Indian's pitching will hold up? Unlikely, I would think. Other than Sabathia they don't have the pitching to compete over the long haul.

Relying on Borowski? Please, no.

The Tribe's offense, on the other hand is very good. That can carry them for a while. I just don't think the pitching will hold up. Of course, I've been wrong before. :D:

Detroit is still the club I'm most worried about. I do not think Cleveland's pitching will hold up. Minnesota? Well, after Johan they don't have much. But I'm sure they'll be in the hunt because they are the Twins. They don't die easy. Ever.

RadioheadRocks
05-05-2007, 09:13 PM
http://picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/1-14-05/disappointing-thread.jpg

RLipp
05-06-2007, 01:32 AM
http://picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/1-14-05/disappointing-thread.jpg

radio head what with the disappointing thread brand pic(you dont like!!):whiner:

Nellie_Fox
05-06-2007, 01:43 AM
radio head what with the disappointing thread brand pic(you dont like!!):whiner:RLipp, you seriously need to start making some sense.

RLipp
05-06-2007, 01:47 AM
i just want to know what is so disappointing about this thread.that's all.

WhiteSox5187
05-06-2007, 12:38 PM
i just want to know what is so disappointing about this thread.that's all.
It jumps the gun a bit...if we're playing this way in June I could understand talk of a firesale, but in the first week of May? Please.