PDA

View Full Version : Hey Yankees Give us Abreu

balke
05-04-2007, 12:56 PM
You know you're gonna turn on him now that he's 1 for his last 45. Come on, he sucks. We'll give you Thornton, Floyd, and Anderson. Eh? EH?

Mr.1Dog
05-04-2007, 01:01 PM
:rolleyes: :?:

IndianWhiteSox
05-04-2007, 01:31 PM
You know you're gonna turn on him now that he's 1 for his last 45. Come on, he sucks. We'll give you Thornton, Floyd, and Anderson. Eh? EH?

If they'll really turn on him, then you can just wait until the end of the year if/when they don't pick up his option.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/new-york-yankees_111398168678860040.html

Although the real problem would be that he might have a clause in deal or might convince Ozzie to bring back Freddy G. so Abreu would come to the Sox.

MP#3
05-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Why don't we trade straight up for our "director of performance enhancement" ?

jenn2080
05-04-2007, 01:35 PM

:?: :?: :?: HuH?

palehozenychicty
05-04-2007, 01:44 PM

He's known in Philly as the Tin Man for a reason. Pass.

chaerulez
05-04-2007, 01:56 PM
He's just one of those guys that always put up great fantasy numbers, but seemed to disappear in the clutch.

ondafarm
05-04-2007, 05:07 PM
I wouldn't trade those three guys for busted Abreu any day of the week.

WizardsofOzzie
05-04-2007, 05:22 PM
I think we can get him straight up for Logan :redneck

UserNameBlank
05-04-2007, 05:25 PM
What?

We could probably call up the Yanks, offer to take that contract for free, and get Bobby for Rogo or something. The same thing with Pat Burrell. Thornton Floyd and Anderson? Are we getting Ichiro?

Domeshot17
05-04-2007, 05:43 PM
What?

We could probably call up the Yanks, offer to take that contract for free, and get Bobby for Rogo or something. The same thing with Pat Burrell. Thornton Floyd and Anderson? Are we getting Ichiro?

If we were getting Ichiro, you would probably have to add sweeney and Gio or Russell to that list.

UserNameBlank
05-04-2007, 06:26 PM
If we were getting Ichiro, you would probably have to add sweeney and Gio or Russell to that list.
Maybe the Mariners would ask for something like that, but Thornton-Floyd-Anderson would be quite a haul for a team that is going to lose the guy anyway. I personally don't think that any of these players are in the Sox future plans other than Thornton, but Floyd and Anderson could get us a valuable piece or two for the future. Ichiro would help us, but he wouldn't be enough to put us over the top or anything. He's a great player, but Sox fans overrate him.

Also, look at trends in baseball. The AL Cetral is the toughest division in baseball, and Detroit, Minny, and Cleveland are winning with their farm systems. The Sox won with smart low risk/high reward players and are trying to get younger. The Yankees are now following the model of the AL Central, so they aren't going to give up anything really valuable for a rental. Boston OTOH I think has been burned badly recently with the Mirabelli and Beckett trades, and the Matsuzaka signing isn't looking quite as terrific right now, so a change in philosophy can't be too far away, especially when the Yankees start kicking their asses again. Plus Oakland and the Angels have been winning because of their farm systems, the best team in the NL right now is the Brewers because their prospects are now producitve players, and AZ, Colorado, and LA is on the climb as well with their farms. SF has developed some dominant young pitching. Then you have Florida who is slowly but surely turning into a contender again, having the quickest turn around during a rebuilding process that I've ever seen.

Almost every winning team in baseball is winning with their farm and/or low risk/high reward guys. Every trend in baseball recently has been showing that nobody is going to trade a top prospect for a rental like Ichiro. If the M's ask for that, too bad, they aren't going to get it.

MarySwiss
05-04-2007, 07:51 PM
:?: :?: :?: HuH?

This may just be the most eloquent one-word reply I've ever seen! :D:

johnr1note
05-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Maybe the Mariners would ask for something like that, but Thornton-Floyd-Anderson would be quite a haul for a team that is going to lose the guy anyway. I personally don't think that any of these players are in the Sox future plans other than Thornton, but Floyd and Anderson could get us a valuable piece or two for the future. Ichiro would help us, but he wouldn't be enough to put us over the top or anything. He's a great player, but Sox fans overrate him.

Also, look at trends in baseball. The AL Cetral is the toughest division in baseball, and Detroit, Minny, and Cleveland are winning with their farm systems. The Sox won with smart low risk/high reward players and are trying to get younger. The Yankees are now following the model of the AL Central, so they aren't going to give up anything really valuable for a rental. Boston OTOH I think has been burned badly recently with the Mirabelli and Beckett trades, and the Matsuzaka signing isn't looking quite as terrific right now, so a change in philosophy can't be too far away, especially when the Yankees start kicking their asses again. Plus Oakland and the Angels have been winning because of their farm systems, the best team in the NL right now is the Brewers because their prospects are now producitve players, and AZ, Colorado, and LA is on the climb as well with their farms. SF has developed some dominant young pitching. Then you have Florida who is slowly but surely turning into a contender again, having the quickest turn around during a rebuilding process that I've ever seen.

Almost every winning team in baseball is winning with their farm and/or low risk/high reward guys. Every trend in baseball recently has been showing that nobody is going to trade a top prospect for a rental like Ichiro. If the M's ask for that, too bad, they aren't going to get it.

OK, so we don't think the team with the best record in baseball so far this season isn't doing a good job? Josh Beckett is 6-0 so far this year. The Mirabelli deal burned them how? He's one of the best back up catchers in the majors. Even the J.D. Drew signing is looking good.

I think its a little early to predict that the Red Sox need to change thier team building philosophy.

IndianWhiteSox
05-05-2007, 08:18 PM
OK, so we don't think the team with the best record in baseball so far this season isn't doing a good job? Josh Beckett is 6-0 so far this year. The Mirabelli deal burned them how? He's one of the best back up catchers in the majors. Even the J.D. Drew signing is looking good.

I think its a little early to predict that the Red Sox need to change thier team building philosophy.

And how do you think those players will end up this season?

Do you honestly think that they can keep up the pace?

UserNameBlank
05-06-2007, 01:11 AM

Cla Meredith's career so far: 61 games, 68.1 IP, 1.98 ERA for the Pads.

Anibal Sanchez's career so far: 24 games, 144 IP, 12-4, 3.24 ERA with the Marlins including a no-hitter.

Hanley Ramirez's career so far: 186 games, 743 AB, .300/.365/.491, 53 2B, 13 3B, 21 HR, 66 RBI from a pretty slick SS.

You don't think Boston misses these guys? With Papelbon, Lester, and Youkilis they would have had a solid young foundation. Not that Beckett isn't a good player or anything, but he did have a pretty bad first year with the Red Sox. He's off to a good start now, but will it continue?

johnr1note
05-09-2007, 11:28 AM
And how do you think those players will end up this season?

Do you honestly think that they can keep up the pace?

I don't know how the Red Sox will finish, but the post I responded to says the deals the Red Sox have made "don't look terrific right now." I beg to differ.